• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

For people that for whatever reason don't like Goh, what are the core charges you would make for his character?

KibaLG8

Well-Known Member since the DP Series.
Saying that Goh isn't well written is not fact lmao. You can't just cast your opinion as the decided fact.

His character wasn’t well-written. You seem to be turning a blind eye to that fact as well, given how you titled that second part of this Thread. Why don’t you tell me what exactly was “well-written” about Goh?

(Side-note: And no just because he had a good moment here & there doesn’t indicate he is a “well-written” character since I am referring to everything that has happened overall, the good & the bad)

Poke Master 7

Boulder Trainer
I remember people used to getting mad at Ash not doing that. Now people get mad at Goh doing it.
The people from those days got older and realized how impractical it was especially when the writers could barely manage to juggle 6 Pokémon and any time he had more things got sloppy. Go on the other hand basically shined a spotlight on exactly why such a premise doesn’t work for a focal character.

Last edited:

Gingertail24

Well this was an entertaining thread

The biggest thing I’d do is introduce Project Mew at the start. Use this to reframe Lugia, Zapdos and Suicune eps into trial missions. Where if you’re successful, you get a chance to be accepted into it. Obviously Goh would fail both the Lugia/Zapdos ones, before finally getting in with Suicune. So now he’s not just catching pokemon for the fun of it, but has more personal stakes in it. I’d also reduce or remove most the instant captures he has, instead focusing on the mons he actually battles and bonds with. They’re just not engaging and he works better when focusing on mons like Drizzile, Golurk, Aerodactyl, Scizor, Floette, etc

Not to mention more conflict with Ash. Nothing dramatic but he morphed into Ash too quickly and it removed some of his individuality. If he’s a co-protagonist he should be more concrete with his differences. He’d slowly building up his battle skills and bonding with pokemon throughout his key captures, whilst changing his deeper flaws via project mew like they did already. So it’s a more long form transformation
I agree that they should of played GOH difference a little bit more when he was with Ash. At times he just felt moreso like a more analytical version of ash

That's why I wish their clash In personality that was shown in like the Ivysaur episode was played a bit longer. I find it a bit of a waste someone like GOH who is so different from Ash, which could have had a really interesting clashing dynamic with him, wasn't properly utilized. By episode 4 their buddy buddy and I found it kinda boring

This isn't GOH fault btw. I think it's moreso Ash. He is just really easy to get along with . Especially in the newer series where he is way more sacharrine and lost alot of his attitude. AG Ash and goh would of been a sight to see lol

Ryker101

I agree that they should of played GOH difference a little bit more when he was with Ash. At times he just felt moreso like a more analytical version of ash

That's why I wish their clash In personality that was shown in like the Ivysaur episode was played a bit longer. I find it a bit of a waste someone like GOH who is so different from Ash, which could have had a really interesting clashing dynamic with him, wasn't properly utilized. By episode 4 their buddy buddy and I found it kinda boring

This isn't GOH fault btw. I think it's moreso Ash. He is just really easy to get along with . Especially in the newer series where he is way more sacharrine and lost alot of his attitude. AG Ash and goh would of been a sight to see lol
Yeah Ash is pretty sanitised nowadays, I miss his roasts. Even though he’s grown he’s still 10, kids bicker all the time. They set up that interesting dynamic in the ivysaur ep but hardly did more with it

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
I think I roughly remember that interview from back when Journeys was starting had someone from the staff (don't remember who) talking about how they were trying to be careful as to not make Goh "unlikeable".

I'd dare to say they are still being wary after how much backlash they got from BW so they've tried not making Goh clash much with Ash

Poke Master 7

Boulder Trainer
I think I roughly remember that interview from back when Journeys was starting had someone from the staff (don't remember who) talking about how they were trying to be careful as to not make Goh "unlikeable".

I'd dare to say they are still being wary after how much backlash they got from BW so they've tried not making Goh clash much with Ash
In this case, if that was their thought process, them playing it too safe caused that their dynamic together was too similar resulting in it being boring especially in a vacuum since they decided to have just the 2 of them most of the time. At very least, them being opposites in their approach and thoughts but still loving Pokémon would have made for a much more engaging duo. After all, just look at groups of friends in all kinds of media; the can be completely different from one another and can even but heads from time to time, but are still friends at the end of the day. Even when it comes to comedy duos, you have opposites because it enhances the humor. That should have been Ash and Go.

GohMaster!

Goh Gettem!
In this case, if that was their thought process, them playing it too safe caused that their dynamic together was too similar resulting in it being boring especially in a vacuum since they decided to have just the 2 of them most of the time. At very least, them being opposites in their approach and thoughts but still loving Pokémon would have made for a much more engaging duo. After all, just look at groups of friends in all kinds of media; the can be completely different from one another and can even but heads from time to time, but are still friends at the end of the day. Even when it comes to comedy duos, you have opposites because it enhances the humor. That should have been Ash and Go.
People hating Iris for no reason caused Ash to get along with everyone cause she was "too mean" to him.

Poke Master 7

Boulder Trainer
People hating Iris for no reason caused Ash to get along with everyone cause she was "too mean" to him.
People hated Iris because she came across as a hypocrite always calling Ash a kid while doing kiddy things herself (though that’s more BW‘s fault for dumbing Ash down to the point that he’d be put in situations where he could be talked down to whether it be Iris or Trip). And even then, overly fixing things leads to dynamics that are boring because they go too far in the opposite direction. It’s about finding the right balance between the 2.

GohMaster!

Goh Gettem!
People hated Iris because she came across as a hypocrite always calling Ash a kid while doing kiddy things herself. And even then, overly fixing things leads to dynamics that are boring because they go too far in the opposite direction. It’s about finding the right balance between the 2.
Her being a hypocrite there was part of it. Even then though, it was just a gag and not meant to be taken as some slight against Ash's character. It directly led to Serena being the exact opposite and praising every pebble and blade of grass Ash touched.

Poke Master 7

Boulder Trainer
Her being a hypocrite there was part of it. Even then though, it was just a gag and not meant to be taken as some slight against Ash's character. It directly led to Serena being the exact opposite and praising every pebble and blade of grass Ash touched.
The problem there was they were trying to replicate his dynamic with Misty but it was forced due to Ash being an experienced trainer at that point. As for Serena, that’s the issue of overadjusting because then the character feels less like Ash’s equal and more like his cheerleader.

KibaLG8

Often, the people who "like" Goh tend to ignore his big flaws as a written character. Turning a blind eye to his perfect catching rate is perhaps the biggest one, going numb to it just because it's a Pokemon GO mechanic (despite the fact the universe this mechanic was taken into doesn't really go with it for EVERYONE else).

Exactly. GohMaster! Is just evading the question I’ve been asking them for the past couple days & replies to everyone else. The quoting system notifies you when a post has been quoted by someone, so you can’t make the excuse of “I didn’t see it”.

Defend your knight in shining armor GohMaster! I’m waiting to hear what is exactly well-written about Goh, which due to the lack of a response, proves that you can’t find anything “good” to write about Goh.lmao

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Say what you want about Goh: horrible and stiff outfit, cruel goal, annoying and greedy behavior, over-sized shoes, boring design, not needing to work for his accomplishments, un inspired name, boring "team", being un friendly and selfish, being a Gary Stu, being a chaser ( = hunter who goes after living things by official definition), annoying voice, out of place hair pin, hypocrite, too needy, always relied on other for help and can’t do stuff on his own , fugly bag - but at least he had a personality and didn't just smiled 24/7 and was super boring and shallow

Last edited:

KibaLG8

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
Exactly. GohMaster! Is just evading the question I’ve been asking them for the past couple days & replies to everyone else. The quoting system notifies you when a post has been quoted by someone, so you can’t make the excuse of “I didn’t see it”.
Or they’ve put you on their ignore list.

Either way, they don’t owe you a reply.

KibaLG8

Or they’ve put you on their ignore list.

Either way, they don’t owe you a reply.

Then they need to stop telling me that I am wrong for saying that Goh isn’t a well-written character. Why defend the character but not validate? Doesn’t owe me a damn reply yet makes a stupid thread for that very reason.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Then they need to stop telling me that I am wrong for saying that Goh isn’t a well-written character. Why defend the character but not validate? Doesn’t owe me a damn reply yet makes a stupid thread for that very reason.
You're not wrong for having an opinion, you are wrong for claiming objectivity over said opinion tho
Multiple people multiple times have made posts and replies as to why they like Goh and their reasonings. Nobody owes it to you to constantly rehash it again esp when his haters just ignore it anyway, nor does anyone owe it to get into another pointless argument about it esp when we just moved on from the Goh hate with the new series coming up, stop pestering him