• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

For Real?! Mallow's Cooking Operation! (961)

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
This is far from the first time Ash has ordered attacks on TR when they were trying to run away guys, its often more about punishing them for their obsession with him than simply beating them.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
Here's your battling experience, people. Hitting Rowlet must yield tons of experience or something.
Well he did faint many times so that counts. ;)

This is far from the first time Ash has ordered attacks on TR when they were trying to run away guys, its often more about punishing them for their obsession with him than simply beating them.
They deserved it. I enjoyed that scene even though I love the TRio. They asked for it and had it coming for what they did.

DatsRight

Ironically Ash and Pikachu were the only ones who didn't get their dues in since Bewear pulled a save. Mallow and Steenee battered them over stealing pollen. :p

Concerning the rest of the plot, I'm kind of....eh. One of the first SM episodes I wasn't really big on.

The Rowlet abuse got a bit too much for me, he's not even willingly trying to eat the thing anymore, he's just attracted to her Sweet Scent and gets pounded stupid for it.

The rest was a bit dull, Mallow didn't really get to show her stuff that much (though we at least got a bit of eccentricity from her at the start) and of course the very instant she HAS to battle for a change, her Pokemon instantly evolves into a powerhouse and it turns into a total breeze. Just feels straight forward and cheap. EVEN MORE cheap than the usual cases, which is saying a lot. And given Mallow has spent the whole series beforehand doing absolutely nothing, it doesn't leave me assured she'll get much better.

There were some decent bits, like the speed up gag with the Oricorio and Rowlet being in touch with his family again, also finally see TR's base, but other than that, rather disappointing.

Last edited:

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
What about it looking like Mallow had killed/knocked out everyone with her cooking? That got a chuckle out of me. We don't get too much comedy in pokemon that relies on silence.

Also, I find it hard to see what happens with Rowlett as "abuse" as Rowlet doesn't seem to care, we even get a scene of it approaching, getting smacked, and immediately coming back without a care. It doesn't even seem to get hurt so much as dizzy. If Rowlet doesn't give it a second thought then I find it hard to feel sorry for it. Its little different from Heracross getting smacked around by Bulbasaur for its unwanted attentions.

Cat's Eye Draco

Clearly a Grass type master with appropiate use of Bloom Doom.

I still want her to get Bloom Doom at some point, but I don't mind Mallow wanting to make her cafe the best in Alola.

Personally, I'd kind of prefer if Z-moves were reserved for the characters actually interested in being involved in the Island Trials (seeing as you ordinarily have to complete at least one to be allowed to use them in the first place). At the moment they feel kind of like Mega Evolutions did at the start of XY, as they've generally been portrayed as fairly rare and powerful abilities that take a lot of practice and skill to master.

...Then XYZ rolled around and suddenly everyone had one. Even Trevor had one. Somehow, that kinda killed the mysticism for me. :p

Janovy

Banned
I love the fact we got to see Rowlet's family again. This is the beauty of Ash not travelling, we get to see same established characters.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
I love the fact we got to see Rowlet's family again. This is the beauty of Ash not travelling, we get to see same established characters.

I forgot to mention that, but I loved that we got to see Toucannon, Trumbeak, and the Pikipek again, even if it was just for those brief seconds. As you said, the beauty of Ash not traveling is that we get to see established characters again.

Personally, I'd kind of prefer if Z-moves were reserved for the characters actually interested in being involved in the Island Trials (seeing as you ordinarily have to complete at least one to be allowed to use them). At the moment they feel kind of like Mega Evolutions did at the start of XY, as they've generally been portrayed as fairly rare and powerful abilities that take a lot of practice and skill to master. Then XYZ rolled around and suddenly everyone had one. Even Trevor had one.

...Somehow that kind of killed the mysticism for me. :p

I agree; I think Z-moves should bee reserved for characters who are actually participating in the Island Challenge or who, like Kiawe, have at least completed a trial or Grand Trial. Professor Kukui did mention in SM01 that only Trainers who participated or were participating in the Island Challenge are able to use Z-moves, and we all know Kiawe made a big deal out of Ash having a Z-ring and Z-Crystal without having completed a trial first. Hopefully, the writers won't forget that, and only Trainers who are have truly earned Z-Crystals will have them.

I wouldn't say Z-moves are as rare as Mega Evolutions were supposed to be (only because I'm assuming a lot of young Trainers have participated in the Island Challenge--just look at how many Z-Rings Hala had made), but they do certainly take a lot of practice and skill to master, so it makes sense if Ash encounters only a few Trainers (aside from the Kahunas) who are capable of using them.

Aside from Ash and Kiawe, the only other main character I could see using Z-moves is Lillie, and that's because I think it could be an interesting part of her character development. However, I expect Lillie to earn that Z-Ring.

Cat's Eye Draco

I wouldn't say Z-moves are as rare as Mega Evolutions were supposed to be (only because I'm assuming a lot of young Trainers have participated in the Island Challenge--just look at how many Z-Rings Hala had made), but they do certainly take a lot of practice and skill to master, so it makes sense if Ash encounters only a few Trainers (aside from the Kahunas) who are capable of using them.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was trying to say. I wasn't quite sure how to word it in a way that would imply a fair number of trainers would have it but it wouldn't be a common ability, so I went with "fairly rare" and hoped for the best.

Soniman

Break the Limit
Honestly I found the episode kinda just okay, I wish Mallow was a bit more focused on, the TR finale was eh, but im really happy she got Steenee as maybe we can get more of a personality out of it hopefully. The gags were ok but none made me laugh or anything, just a average episode this week

Also Mallow's goal is boring, its diffrent yes but boring is boring (and not Pokemon related), its why im finding it hard to get super invested in anyone besides Liilie and to a lesser extent Ash. None of this implies any future character growth or arcs or anything, so....meh?

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
I don't get it. Is there something wrong with him getting Pikpek? There's a ton in the forest near them or is he like AZ where he has a special Pikpek that's sick/dies or something.

Pikipek's laaame. Rowlet's cool.

DatsRight

Pikipek is perhaps my favourite regional bird, and Toucannon looks like an evolution that would warrant a good personality unlike previous ones (though that's been assumed before).

If they did get one of Rowlet's siblings it could also make for a fun dynamic too. I'd prefer they try some new setup with him over becoming Tsundre Steenee's punching bag.