• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

For Real?! Mallow's Cooking Operation! (961)

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
Mallow chan and Bounsweet's time to shine is here, and she's doing the Pokémon Problem like she was supposed to 15 episodes ago. I'm excited to see what's in store for the duo. :) Review starting now!

-That's pretty cool that Bounsweet can deliver drinks to the customer... probably one at a time.

-The crush on Bounsweet is hitting hard on Rowlet... poor guy. He's gonna keep getting blown off. I bet Sophocles was smelling that sweet sweet berry body scent of her.

-WOW! EVERYONE got Thunderbolt'd in one bite! That's peculiar! O_O Biri biri chika chika

-Mallow having a big brother confirmed!!! :D Also I knew her dad wasn't going to look like her, he wouldn't look good with green hair/eyes. Their designs are fine. Her brother has a really long ponytail and he doesn't look bad with darker green hair.

-Team Rocket's secret basement is so shiny and new!!! Very nice. :)

-Rowlet's family makes another appearance!! ;~;

-Okay now that was funny!! BWHAHAHA!!!! Bounsweet's only power is attracting others with her sweet scent but only it's scent if it lasts long. No wonder Bounsweet wanted to evolve so badly!!

-Reminds me of Meloetta's transformation. This is really cool seeing a Oricorio transform by sucking the nectar out of a flower

-Wow, what a cute evolution! Bounsweet got so pissed off by it's lack of power, it evolved... lol. SHe got some nice moves going on, so that's how Meowth got those 2 blemishes on his cheeks!

-This is off topic but why does Mallow have visible lips when Pikachu uses Thunderbolt on the TRio? So happy she battled (well, commanded an attack, it's something.) R are lucky to have Bewear with them.

-A delish meal! ... I'm not gonna say anything but Sophocles just HAD to ruin a good moment. Lana has my reaction.

-Rowlet still getting blown off.

I really enjoyed this episode. Mallow (and Bounsweet to a certain extent) showed off her personality pretty nicely. She's critical on everyone's opinion on her food, she's scatterbrained in the sense of using different methods to spice up her recipes, and she has a never giving up altitude, trying hard to find the nectar. She does take criticism pretty normally, I mean what can you do but listen to the complaints of someone who taste tested your food. I kind of wish there were more interactions between her and the classmates and that she was the one to defeat Team Rocket. The episode was pretty chill, not much action going on but it was very entertaining and I liked seeing Ash and Mallow explore places and get into trouble. It was also great hearing about Mallow's family and their impact on her. It was also better for Bounsweet to evolve as there isn't much going for her. I don't think Bounsweet really showed off it's personality aside from blowing off Rowlet and pushing itself to exhaustion to attract another Pokémon. I think now that Bounsweet has evolved into Steenee, it'll mirror Mallow's behavior and probably seem a bit more oblivious to things around her. I hope in further episodes, we'll learn more about Mallow and Steenee aside from her being a cook and making yummy food and Steenee being there just to promote itself as a cute friendly Pokémon with not much going for it. Overall, it was a pretty nice episode. Great break before we get into the real action! :D

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
It's actually just occurred to me Ash is a savage as Team Rocket were crawling away and he ordered Thunderbolt.

Kid is finally sick and tired of their crap.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Team Rocket's base looks dope!
And Steenee is exactly the perfect partner for Mallow, it's certainly cuter than Bouncesweet was. Rowlet's still annoying as ever though.....

It's actually just occurred to me Ash is a savage as Team Rocket were crawling away and he ordered Thunderbolt.

He realized that Team Rocket is the only criminal organization he hasn't taken down yet, thus making them the best villains in anime history.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
maybe it's payback for them "beating" him a while back.

I wouldn't count it as payback just yet, neither Mimikyu or Mareanie were present.

Then again Steenee and co were relentless.
He realized that Team Rocket is the only criminal organization he hasn't taken down yet, thus making them the best villains in anime history.

Hahahaha xD

satopi

The little boy is vicious. No mercy for them after they humiliated him on screen one time (it wasn't apart of the script). He just looks so done with their crap. Fly, meet swatter.

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
One of the better companion episodes we've had, so that's nice. As for the Cooking goal, what exactly did you expect?

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
One of the better companion episodes we've had, so that's nice. As for the Cooking goal, what exactly did you expect?

Clearly a Grass type master with appropiate use of Bloom Doom.

I still want her to get Bloom Doom at some point, but I don't mind Mallow wanting to make her cafe the best in Alola.

satopi

People will be satisfied once Mao chan turns the Aina Cafeteria into a battling cafeteria. :) The best of both worlds!!

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
People will be satisfied once Mao chan turns the Aina Cafeteria into a battling cafeteria. :) The best of both worlds!!

Oh I completely forgot that the Battle Buffet exists.

Welp, Mallow for Buffet Queen it is then.

thiagomestres

Holy moly, can the goals' of the classmates get any more dull and uninteresting? Why would the viewers give a damn about a goddamn cafe? Or if Lana can make a good balloon or not. This is a joke.

Yeah, it's definetly making me bored now. Not sure i'm going to keep watching this.

Epicocity

While the goal is perfectly fine to me (and not really unexpected in any case), I still found some problems. I mean, the episode itself was good, but Mallow finally doing something, just ordering an attack, really showcased how little she actually did in the episode. Ash and her father were the ones pushing her to find the nectar. Ash was the one who came up with the idea of using Sweet Scent to lure in the Oricorio. I mean, sure, Mallow isn't as useless as, say, Fat Clemont, but for being her focus episode, she did surprisingly little.

Even her Pokemon did more, and that was without her commands, which I think is part of the reason the evolution felt so...random? For Bounsweet doing little more than smacking Rowlet around and then getting tossed aside by James, it felt unearned. I'm not even saying she needed to battle, at all. But this was the first episode we actually got a glimpse of character that wasn't generic: she enjoys smacking Rowlet down. And that was only for a second. I personally don't care if they battle to earn it (because goodness knows how many times that hasn't happened in the past *coughCaterpiecough*) but at least develop their personality before you do it. At this point, Lana's Popplio deserved it over Bounsweet.

Just my opinion on still the second most wasted character in the series.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
Sweet Arceus, that Bounsweet -> Steenee evolution animation was gorgeous! :eek: I hope all evolution sequences in SM are like that! Using the Trainer battle music as the background music for that evolution sequence, and the subsequent battle, was an excellent choice. (I loved Ash's and Mallow's reactions. Mallow looked absolutely stunned, while Ash had the biggest grin on his face.)

I love how Steenee didn't waste any time laying the smackdown on Meowth after she evolved. "Look, I evolved. Now it's time for me to kick your ***!" She may have spent the majority of her time as a Bounsweet balancing on Mallow's shoulder and fending off Rowlet, but I'm beginning to hope that she will be more proactive as a Steenee after that battle.

I liked the transformation sequence of Baile Oricorio transforming into Pom Pom Oricorio and I got a chuckle out of seeing the two Pom Pom Oricorio dancing together. I hope we'll see more Oricorio transformations in the future.

Not only does Mallow have a father, but the anime even mentioned her older brother. I was hoping he would be referenced.

There you go! Mallow will not only make Aina Cafeteria the number one restaurant in Alola, but she will also start the Battle Buffet (or perhaps expand it, if it already exists). A restaurant where one can eat and battle? You know Ash is going to be all over that! :D

Wouldn't you be sick and tired of their crap, too, if you had to deal with these fools stalking you around the globe and attempting to kidnap your Pokémon? :mad: It's about time Ash got a little savage when it came to dealing with Team Rocket.

PsychoBoost

Carbon Dioxide
"Defeating Team Rocket" plots are really predictable sometimes. This felt kinda like filler + an evolved Poké.

Not keen on the cooking thing, prefer action to watching people eat.. But at least Mallow got some valuable screen time!!!!

Jangobadass

Surprise!

The little boy is vicious. No mercy for them after they humiliated him on screen one time (it wasn't apart of the script). He just looks so done with their crap. Fly, meet swatter.

You try dealing with their BS for 20 years and see what it does to YOU.

Ash is finally (almost) as sick of them as a number of us are...
(ditto the creative team, it seems)

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Here's your battling experience, people. Hitting Rowlet must yield tons of experience or something.