• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

For Real?! Mallow's Cooking Operation! (961)

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Then an evolving Magikarp will be creepy.

Don't worry, it'll only apply to Alolan Pokemon. All the rest will still have that white glowiness that they've always had, probably. Or Magikarp is going to have a really creepy evolution.

Janovy

Banned
Then an evolving Magikarp will be creepy.
Eh, I disagree. Yo just show it extending its body with sparkles and changing colors while growing spikes and scales.

I will be disappointed if they kept this evolution sequence a one-time only thing, especially since they have NEVER done that before.

KingMinun

Dawn/Sinnoh Fan!
Caught up on this episode, but wow, what a shock. I've been waiting so long for a Mallow centric episode and when it was announced, it did not seem very appealing, but this is another episode of SM that seemed like that first but I ended up enjoying, and a surprise evolution? That was cool, and at least Steenie is around Pikachu and Meowth's size so it means it can be held still.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
I like that the series has a decent amount of continuity with things like the pancake race and Rowlet's family being referenced occasionally as well as Rockruff's bond with Ash and Team Rocket's base being plot points that have been developed over multiple episodes.
But as a earlier post noted, that kind of continuity isn't really notable. That is every pokemon series has made frequent references to past events in that particular series. If it is happening at all more frequently now its probably because Ash is staying in one place for more episodes than he ever has since the anime started. What's more notable is if they acknowledge or reference the events of previous series/regions (which Sun/Moon has admittedly done a couple of times).

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
Just occurred to me that Lillie's Vulpix has it's paw resting on Rowlet. Maybe it's just a little bit closer to the Pokemon than it was in SM014?

Janovy

Banned
But as a earlier post noted, that kind of continuity isn't really notable. That is every pokemon series has made frequent references to past events in that particular series. If it is happening at all more frequently now its probably because Ash is staying in one place for more episodes than he ever has since the anime started. What's more notable is if they acknowledge or reference the events of previous series/regions (which Sun/Moon has admittedly done a couple of times).
I really don't understand the people saying it is no big deal.

If any other series did it, people would be praising it as the best series, but since SM is doing it, people are acting like 'meh, it's nothing special, it's obvious'.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
Just occurred to me that Lillie's Vulpix has it's paw resting on Rowlet. Maybe it's just a little bit closer to the Pokemon than it was in SM014?
Maybe it does. I noticed Togedemaru was on top of Pikachu when the protagonists were talking, Togedemaru glaring at Rowlet when he tried getting close to Bounsweet, and Pikachu kept trying to stop Rowlet from getting near Bounsweet/Steenee so that he won't get hit (the last time was hilarious. Pikachu failed this time.) Maybe Shiron felt a bit sympathetic towards Rowlet. I didn't notice Shiron doing much.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
I really don't understand the people saying it is no big deal.

If any other series did it, people would be praising it as the best series, but since SM is doing it, people are acting like 'meh, it's nothing special, it's obvious'.

Because other series do reference the distant past that can be relevant to current events.

Not that quirky pancake race from a few days ago.

Last edited:

uber gon

Accept Change
So a trainer is shown with a non-native Lickitung on his team. That's neat.

So is showing Golbat with its mouth closed. How is nobody talking about that?

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I remember why the evolution scene seemed familiar, it's like classic Ben 10... back when they showed his body changing into the aliens. No wonder I like it. I hope they stick with the method,, it's so cool. I hope we can see Torracat turning into an Incineroar, I just want to see one going from bipedal into more of a humanoid stance.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
I do find it strange that Mao chan's older brother has a Lickitung as his partner and yeah I saw Golbat with it's mouth closed but I didn't care much for it aside from seeing how the characters would react.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
I thought Mallow's brother was travelling so didn't pay too much attention to Lickitung.

Golbat was funny, but it was brief so again, not much attention paid.

mystic9899

Pokemon fan
i just watched this episode subbed and lmao james asked meowth: "do you really want to lose to persian?"

i love these little references

Navin

MALDREAD
Mal's Review - Sun&Moon Edition

[IMG300]http://mrwgifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/That-Smelly-Smell-That-Smells-So-Good-.gif[/IMG300]

Pros:

* Nice touch with Rowlet and the Toucannon family

* Topu Keko that Sweet Scent speed-up scene

* Stenee's design > > Bounsweet

Cons:

* Mallow seems to the team 'heart' and will probably have a presence in most group episodes, but her individual episodes haven't been as strong

* Generic cooking goal is generic

Thoughts:

* Thunderbolt in the soup...???

* Conspiracy: Long-haired Hau is Mallow's older brother, and they're Sawyer's cousins

Obligatory Mallow goal, but at least a non-filler.

4/10

Last ten episodes ratings: 7.5/8/9/3.5/4/4/7/7.5/7/4
Average of episodes 1-10: 6.6/10

Nebbygetinthebag

This episode was good the sequence of oricorio baile changing to pom pom and bounsweet evolving to steenee was beautiful to watch.the episode itself was enjoyable it had the adventure feeling of a Pokemon I haven't seen in a while and Mallow finally has a dream it may be boring but oh well at least she had one. Overall this episode was good I really wish mallow had an episode earlier I give it a 8/10.

Vipsoccermaster

Decent episode for Mallow. Great to see Bounsweet evolve into Steenee. Also nice to learn more about Mallow's family, too. I'm sure some of us would like to try some of that Alola Legendary Stew - it looks delicious, but not with electricity! That would lead to a shocking death, I think. Seeing Rowlet reunite with Toucannon's family for a brief moment was a nice touch.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
It's an ungodly skill to somehow keep electricity still being contained inside a liquid like a soup, I guess.

Mallow's dad is a savage.

Wow, this season really has Ash spending too much time with girls all alone. I pity any other girl outside this season that tried to put the moves on him but didn't do it despite having way too many chances at it.

I'm curious how despite attracting over a dozen of Pokemon, none of them even tried to eat Bounsweet seriously. *remembers what this series is* Oh, right. No straight attempted murder scenes.

I guess the only way to spice up Mallow's importance was to immediately evolve her Bounsweet already.

I'm a Rownee shipper.

I think it was a decent episode anyway.

Last edited:

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
I'm curious how despite attracting over a dozen of Pokemon, none of them even tried to eat Bounsweet seriously. *remembers what this series is* Oh, right. No straight attempted murder scenes.

EP12 Mimikyu in a spotlight is as close as this series will get to that.