• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

For those who prefer the paired versions over the third version, what are the reasons you prefer them?

WaterTypeStarter

Namely, you prefer Red/Blue over Yellow, Gold/Silver over Crystal, Ruby/Sapphire over Emerald, and/or Diamond/Pearl over Platinum. What are the reason you do so? Note this discussion is only if you prefer the paired version over the third version. If you prefer the third version, please don't post. It already seems popular to prefer the third version.

Hilda

I prefer gold and silver to crystal because silver was my first game. Perhaps not an elaborate answer like you were expecting, but it is my reason.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Nostalgia is the main reason why I prefer Sapphire/Ruby over Emerald since I played the former games first. That said, I acknowledge that third versions fix many issues that paired versions usually have.

WaterTypeStarter

Is there more than just nostalgia for anyone? Like you don't like some of the third version's changes or feel the paired versions have something you prefer?

Leonhart

Imagineer
WaterTypeStarter said:
Is there more than just nostalgia for anyone? Like you don't like some of the third version's changes or feel the paired versions have something you prefer?
I preferred the storyline of Sapphire and Ruby more than Emerald's storyline. The same applies to my feelings towards the main storyline of Diamond and Pearl over Platinum's.

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
I prefer Ruby and Sapphire to Emerald because I like Steven a lot better than Wallace as a champion, Emerald has to good places to grind (Ruby and Sapphire at least have Sky Pillar with high-level Pokemon), I didn't like how in Emerald, all the contests take place in Lilycove, since this means you can't get the PokeBlock case early.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Nostalgia is the main reason why I prefer Sapphire/Ruby over Emerald since I played the former games first. That said, I acknowledge that third versions fix many issues that paired versions usually have.
I remember always playing Sapphire as a kid, over Rubi

Nyter

Island Challenger
What I don't like about third version games compared to the paired versions is that, regarding pokedex completion, it requires both the other base paired versions to trade with and complete (not even thinking of transfers or wi-fi connections at the moment.)

Say Red and Blue... you can complete the Pokedex if you trade all unavailable Pokemon from that version from the other...

But Yellow, you need both Blue and Red to complete the Pokedex because some unavailable Pokemon were exclusive to only one game and not both. It makes a bit tougher.

Same with Platinum... You can't catch the Misdreavus, Honchkrow, Stunky, and Glameow lines to complete the Pokedex unless you are able to trade with both Diamond and Pearl whereas Pearl only needs to trade with Diamond to complete the dex and vice versa.

But thats what I don't like about the third version games, and I am not saying that I like paired versions over the third versions because usually third version games def. add some more extensive game play and more rewarding battle features.

Xionea

Half a centaur
I generally prefer the 3rd version over the others, but I think Sun and Moon are better than USUM from a story perspective. I was super disappointed that they removed the Lusamine Ultra Beast mode fight in USUM entirely, I love that storyline and that battle. USUM is better in most other things, but if I want to replay gen 7 for the story, the originals will definitely be my pick.

Missingno.Fan

I usually prefer the paired versions because I normally don’t even get the third. I’ve never played Yellow, Crystal or Emerald.