• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

For Whom The Bell Tolls

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Hey, it's okay you couldn't make the post detailed. Words are powerful in small quantities.

Welcome to the fishing boat! *bad reel pun*

That's a weird metaphor XD.

You win a prize if you can guess who I referenced when naming Cassandra

Uh... it's from a book xD? I don't know, Cassandra sounds like it was a name for a witch. *cheats looks it up anyway* Greek mythology about a girl granted ability to prophesy by Apollo?

Librarian Mary rocks

Then I demand more scenes of her! Do it for all the librarians in the world!

It was a reference to Youngster Joey type characters, the ones that teach you "the rules of trainer battles"

Mmm, I don't remember them X3. The only ones I can think of are the schoolkids, unless a Lass was like one?

Dreams are usually weird, they usually make a little bit of sense in this fic though

Ah, okay then.

-I had to carefully toe the line with the general feel of that section. Homosexuality exists, doesn't make sense to ignore it

I know it does, but it seemed a bit out-of-place to me. It could be because there's no rating for the story, I guess, so it caught me off-guard. *shrugs*

Butch is like a manlier Chuck Norris

Lol xD. Most random quote from you, and it's awesome.

Diddy

Renegade
"You see, the problem with words is that words have power. When a certain amount of knowledge (and therefore power) is pushed together, little rifts in the abstract plane can appear. This naturally causes problems to people who happen to have large collections of antique spell books and can get rather confusing and downright silly." - Terry Pratchett.

Words apparently have power in large quantities as well xD

Uh... it's from a book xD? I don't know, Cassandra sounds like it was a name for a witch. *cheats looks it up anyway* Greek mythology about a girl granted ability to prophesy by Apollo?

:D You're so damn close... The reference in the book is most likely a reference to the Cassandra from Greek Mythology.

As for content and ratings, it's obviously not going to be a happy shiny romp around Johto where everyone smiles and vomits rainbows, but it's not exactly a gritty, hyper-realistic dystopia. Stuff will happen and it's not always suitable for younger audiences.

I suppose I'll start a PM list if anyone wants to be on it. Just ask and ye shall be rewarded.

This chapter has some backstory and some plot. You know how it is. Longest chapter yet at nearly ten full pages xD

Home Is Where The Heart Is
Chapter 4

“If you're still there when I open the door, I swear I'll call the police!”

The two girls looked at each other and then back at the door as it swung open. A man appeared dressed in a knitted cardigan and tan slacks, he looked quite young, late twenties at the most. “Oh, it's you Cassandra, sorry about the shout but they've been back with increasing frequency lately. I'm really getting sick of it. Do you know how many times I've had to replace the windows?”

“Yeah I know, it's stupid. If they took the time to get to know you they'd see your nothing like your father.”

The man sighed and nodded his head, when he looked up he noticed Zaniah stood slightly to the side, “Who's your friend?”

Cassandra perked up slightly upon hearing the question, “Oh sorry, this is Zaniah, I met her in the Violet gym. I won by the way-” the man gave a smile. “-she lives down in Union and she's showing me the best way to get to Union Cave.”

The man held his hand out and Zaniah shook it, “I'm Pat. Pat Bonham. I'm surprised you don't know the name considering you live so close.”

Zaniah looked at the floor sheepishly as if embarrassed. “We don't have a television or get the newspaper, I don't know much about the world outside Union except from what I've seen in Violet Town the few times I've been there.”

Pat looked slightly saddened. “I suppose that's all the more reason for you to get out there and explore the world, I see you have a chingling so you're probably a trainer, right? I know Cassandra here has just started her journey and she knows a fair bit about training already, perhaps she could help and mentor you?” Cassandra nodded at this idea, “Anyway, if you'd like, I could put the kettle on and I'll tell you why those kids keep throwing stones at my house.”

Cassandra immediately took the offer up, but stopped when she noticed Zaniah was having some slight doubts, “Don't worry, he's a really good friend of my dads.” She held her hand out and smiled, “Trust me.”

Zaniah let go of the breath she didn't know she was holding and grabbed the outstretched hand, being pulled into the small house. When she entered, she didn't expect what she saw. There was only a single large room on the bottom, along the back wall was a row of computers running various things Zaniah didn't understand, there were multiple desks with papers scattered on them and even more filing cabinets which Zaniah could only guess held more papers. She was lead upstairs where she was surprised to find the front room, if it could be called a front room whilst being upstairs.

It would seem Cassandra was accustomed to coming here as she immediately sat on the black leather couch and pulled up a foot rest. Zaniah, feeling awkward, merely sat on the edge of the seat with her back as straight as a ruler and her hands held on her lap.

“Will you loosen up, Pat's a great guy, he's like my uncle.”

“Sugar?” came a shout from the kitchen.

“Just one please,” answered Cassandra.

“None for me thank you,” replied Zaniah apprehensively.

Returning from the kitchen with three mugs in hand, Pat placed them on three coasters set out on the coffee table giving the specific mugs to their respective drinkers. Zaniah got a plain green mug. Cassandra sat drinking from a white mug, her feet tucked close to her body. Pat drank from a mug bearing the slogan 'Pi isn't 3.14. It's delicious!' Zaniah mentally face palmed at the incredibly nerdy mug, as a physical face palm may very well have gotten hot tea all over her face.

Pat took a big sip from his mug and started his tale. “It was a stormy night... No wait, it was pleasantly breezy. Anyway, the weather is unimportant. The story begins before I was born, when my father was a child. He was a beginning trainer and he had just received his starter pokémon, now usually starter pokémon are docile towards humans, but this was a fair few decades ago and we didn't have the teaching methods we have today. Maybe if we did then...” Pat trailed off for a while and sighed, “...To make a long story short, his starter pokémon was unruly and didn't want to listen to him, during one of his first battles his pokémon decided not to attack the opponent and attack him. I think from that day, he give up his dreams of becoming a top trainer and resigned himself to the daily grind of education and eventual work. He hated pokémon for sure, but he never really openly expressed his distaste for them in public. He eventually met my mother and I was born.”

Zaniah, took it all in whilst drinking her tea. She was quite sure she knew where this was going, but to make sure, she kept on listening intently.

“My mother decided we couldn't keep living in the dingy flat we lived in at the time, so my mother and father went house hunting and they found this place just outside of Violet, it was just a village back then, a few houses and Sprout Tower. Whilst I was growing up, I heard my father read from the newspaper that the gym in Cherrygrove was being demolished, he was delighted to be sure, but then then it continued to say they were going to rebuild it in Violet and inject some cash into the area to urbanise it a bit. That meant a Pokémon Centre, a Pokémart, the trainers school and obviously, the massive gym you were successful in defeating Cassandra.-”

Here the girl smiled, obviously reliving the moment. And to be honest, so was Zaniah.

“My father was livid, as you'd expect. All of this was going to bring loads of trainers and pokémon right past his yard, when previously it was just the odd one passing through to get to Goldenrod (or Portside as it was called back then) or perhaps a trainer returning home. It was a few more years before I think anything really set him off, he might have been storing all his anger over the years and maybe released it in one big explosion. I was getting around ten years old and was quite the inquisitive little scamp. I'd play out in the forest, watching the wild pokémon, I'd even sometimes talk to the passing trainers and ask them what it was like being a trainer. Dear old dad had always said it was evil and that pokémon were as bad as the trainers. But from the small experiences with wild pokémon and trainers allayed any fears or questions I had about them, from watching them in the wild and studying their habits to listening to the fantastic tales the passing trainers had to tell about their times travelling with their pokémon and how they were invaluable allies. Dad didn't like that, so he sent me away.-”

Zaniah gasped, “He just sent you away?”

“Yeah, he got me a boat ticket, drove me to Portside and sent me to live with my Grandparents in Kanto. And I'll tell you for free, catching a two day boat ride alone when your eleven is a pretty traumatising experience.”

“He made you go by yourself? How awful.” Zaniah looked shocked.

“Yes, but compared to what he ended up doing, it was pretty nice. Anyway, My grandparents were nice people, they lived in a sleepy village by the name of Pallet. Life was alright, peaceful to be sure. But I found myself consistently straying into the wilder territories to look for pokémon; to be fair, what enjoyment can an eleven year old boy get from a town about a mile square, in which the majority of the land was used for farming and the only houses were sporadically placed along the plains? Out of the ten plus houses that existed, I hadn't seen a single other person around my age. I was desperate for contact with another child, I was even willing to go so far as talk to a girl if she was around my age, my eleven year old self was saying 'I don't care about cooties. Just let me talk to someone!'”

This comment garnered a laugh from the two girls. “Boys are idiots,” remarked Cassandra.

“That's about the basis of it yeah. So where was I? Oh right. I yearned for company and one day after a few weeks alone, I found it. A young boy was fishing in the stream, I jumped on the opportunity, I introduced myself and told him that I hadn't seen him around anywhere for the past month. He apparently just got there to stay with his grandparents to wait until his twelfth birthday so he could officially start as a Pokémon trainer. That bummed me out a bit, I find this new friend then I find out he's leaving soon to do something I would have loved to do. I asked his name, Samuel Oak he said.” Pat sighed reminiscently.

“From that day we were inseparable, we'd play in the fields and scare the murkrow away from the crops, we'd find wild pokémon in the nearby woods and watch silently as they go about their daily business. It was probably the happiest time of my life. The days went and it was nearing Sammy's, that was what I called him, twelfth birthday. I already had mine, but because of my father and most probably Sammy, I stayed to watch him leave for his. I still remember the day before his birthday, he told me 'It's not too late you know, there's a whole world of pokémon out there to see and study, and I can think of no better person to be my research assistant.' He was always into that kinda stuff. But what he told me that day, it made me finally realise. It was my own life and if I wanted to train pokémon, then I would. It doesn't matter if my father had a bad experience the one time, it wouldn't happen to me.”

Pat stopped and took another breath, he seemed lost in reminiscing for a while, until he shook himself out of it and took another big sip from his mug of tea, draining it completely. He placed the mug back onto the coaster and continued.

“With the consent of my grandparents, Sammy and me set off for Viridian City, the home of Percival Ashburton, noted Pokémon Professor and licensed to hand out starter pokémon to beginning trainers-”

“Do you have to receive a pokémon from someone with a license to become a trainer, because I got Varla from my grandmother.” Zaniah interrupted Pat mid sentence, much to the surprise of the man. He smiled however and continued.

“Not necessarily, but it levels the playing field slightly if all pokémon are obtained from a licensed person who will give equally powerful pokémon, so no one gets a starting advantage. That's why pokémon like chikorita, totodile and cyndaquil are popular starters for license holders to give out, they all have equal strengths and weaknesses against each other and each are equally as powerful. All pokémon given to beginning trainers by family members are usually encouraged to be newly hatched or young pokémon with little or no battling experience, it's all about being fair really, but you can get more variation if you get them from family members, as I can see with you Zaniah.”

“Oh right, thanks. It helps to know these things.” Zaniah felt slightly embarrassed for asking such a silly question and subsequently sipped her tea and stayed quiet.

“As I was saying, we received our pokémon and began our epic journey, toppling gym leaders and commanding powerful pokémon of our own. It was easy to see that Sammy was the more skilled trainer, but it didn't stop him pursuing his dreams of becoming a pokémon researcher. I on the other hand decided to go back to Johto to visit my dear old dad, my journey had taken about a year and a half and I had hoped he had simmered down some. I was dead wrong. I came back to the house and found police tape around the fence, I automatically assumed the worst, but it turned out a little different to what I expected. My dad had committed suicide after being cornered by the police and it turned out my mother had died about a month earlier.-”

Zaniah couldn't help but say something. “Both your parents died?”

“To be more precise, both my parents were killed. You see, my father killed my mother, he'd apparently been abusing her for years and I was unaware of it, one day he just went too far and she couldn't take it. He stayed in his house for days on end, no one knew anything about what had gone on, I think the loneliness got to him personally and he just cracked one day. There were calls to the police about missing persons, trainers who hadn't made it home when they said they would and hadn't turned up since, whispers about kids going out walking the family pokémon in the morning and not returning, those kinda things. They got to investigating and someone called about a strange smell coming from the old Bonham place. That's how he got cornered, the police knocked his door down and they found him cowering in the kitchen with a handgun held to his own head and before anyone could get close to him, he pulled the trigger. Well that was better than a confession to the police, they searched the house for evidence of the kidnappings when someone noted an odd smell coming from the basement, 'like burnt meat'. They went down and found several bodies, some human, some pokémon all scattered about the floor with obvious signs of fire damage. They found my mother bound to the head board in my parents bedroom, the bed had signs of being slept in so they could only assume he slept next to her body for the month after he killed her. I like to think it shows a slight bit of remorse on his part, others refuse to see any side of him as remorseful because of what else he did. And because my father wasn't around to harass, they went to the next best thing, me.”

“But why did they do that, you were away on your journey, surely people noticed that.” asked Zaniah.

“Some people did, but that's the thing. The human individual is smart, the human people are a stupid and dangerous bunch. No matter who the group is made of, they will never listen to reason, arguing with a hundred minds is as useless as a magikarp attacking a dragonite. I couldn't stand the constant teasing and insults people threw at me, so I just left. I packed up my stuff and took a leaf out of Sammy's book, I went to Sinnoh to finish my education and become a man of research. So there I was, a fourteen year old boy with just enough money for his education and no friends to speak of, all alone in Sinnoh. By choice of course, but it was still a crushing experience. Term started and I took classes on Pokémon Breeding, Evolution Theory, and Pokémon Physiology. I was a fairly good student, I carried a B average throughout the classes and made friends with plenty of people, none better than erm... what's his name, I haven't thought about him in a long time, Rowan I think, I can't remember his first name. Anyway, he was in my Evolution Theory class, the best one in there, he aced so many tests they gave him an award at graduation for excellence in the field of Evolution. They say he would do great things in the field. You'd be shocked to find out that Rowan had a correspondence with none other than Samuel Oak, my old travelling buddy, he was shocked to hear that I'll tell you.”

“So you were almost fated to meet huh?” supplied Zaniah.

“You could probably say that. We're good friends and we bounce ideas of one another in the letters I send every now and then. I don't have a telephone you see, if anyone from Violet found out my number it'd be non stop calls, more abuse.”

“Why don't you move away for a while, maybe change your name? It worked for this one guy I knew back in Union, he'd gotten into a little trouble with some unsavoury types, he moved away for about a month and pretended he sold the house, changed his name, grew a beard and moved back. Hasn't been hassled since.” Zaniah stated matter-of-factly as if this was advice she gave everyone.

Cassandra sat up straight and stared at Zaniah, “You know, that could work. Plus, you'd suit a beard, or at least a goatee.”

“I don't know, wouldn't it be too much work?” Pat replied tentatively.

Zaniah told Pat that it would stop all the abuse and perhaps would make him a few more friends, get some interest from the ladies and that he could do his research in peace and quiet. Plus, he won't have to replace any more windows.

“That is a whole big list of pluses. Maybe I could visit Sammy again, see if he's gotten anywhere with that stupid electronic encyclopaedia of his. In fact, I think your right. I deserve a peaceful and quiet life, I'll start growing that beard right now. I would also need to go to Goldenrod, get the change of name, that's the nearest courthouse right? What should I pack, I might need to throw blankets over the computers and things to make it a bit more believable. I'll also need a For Sale sign.” Pat started rummaging through drawers talking avidly to himself.

Cassandra stood and dusted her hands, “Well. I think our work here is done, this is the happiest I've seen him in a long time you know.”

Zaniah laughed and grabbed the three mugs from the table and placed them in the nearby sink, she stared at Cassandra for a while as if mentally asking, 'well what should we do now?'

Cassandra answered by shouting a goodbye, “Thanks for the tea Pat, we'll leave you to the packing.”

“Yeah, bye.” added Zaniah hastily.

--

The pair, walked downstairs and let themselves out, took the time to scare away a few more kids hoping to throw stones at Pat's house and they were off heading to Union again. During the time listening to Pat's story, the sun had lowered considerably in the sky and it was starting to darken. Cassandra seemed to notice this and asked whether they should break out the camping gear.

“No need, it'll only take another hour or so walking and we'll be in Union, we have a Pokémon Centre if you need to heal your pokémon and your more than welcome to stay at my house for the night before you're off again.”

“You not coming with? I thought I'd implied that.” Cassandra asked confusedly.

Zaniah looked at her companion knowingly, “Yeah, I picked it up, I'm just not sure if I'm up for it any more, I just don't want to risk hurting Varla.”

“We've had this conversation before. I'm sure I swayed you to my way of thinking, but if it takes me until we get to Union, I'm damn sure I can do it again. I would have thought if anything, Pat's story would have inspired you more.”

“That depressed me more than it inspired me.”

Cassandra slapped her forehead, “Didn't you hear about what he said about his journey, about the friends he made and all the fun he had with his pokémon? You sure are a hard nut to crack, but I'll do it.”

Zaniah gave an involuntary giggle but tried to suppress it.

“See, you are enjoying yourself. Admit-” she suddenly stopped talking and stared accusingly at Zaniah, who was still trying to suppress her laughter. “Your pulling my leg aren't you?”

Unable to contain it any longer, Zaniah unleashed a tirade of laughter but stopped as she realised Cassandra was staring menacingly at her. “-Oh crap.” Getting the message, the girl ran before Cassandra could make her move.

“Get back here!” she shouted, finally realising she'd have to run to catch her.

“You can't kill what you can't catch.” replied Zaniah, who was already quite the distance away. As a precaution, she had recalled Varla to her pokéball and stored it safely in her pocket.

Cassandra gave chase and immediately found Zaniah to be pretty slow, 'I knew there was a down side to having legs that thin' she thought. Legs unimpeded by such things as pants or jeans, Cassandra found it easier to catch the girl. When she was almost within arms length, she dived through the air catching Zaniah by the shoulders, forcing her to the floor. Oddly enough, the girl was laughing as Cassandra forced her onto her back, she placed her hands either side of her shoulders preventing the girls escape. Cassandra whole heartedly intended to say something, but all she could do was stare blankly into her brown eyes. Zaniah had noticed, stopped laughing and stared back, finally saying “hello?” shaking her head, Cassandra rolled off Zaniah and sat up on the grass.

“Sorry about that.” she said quietly.

“No, don't worry. I've not had a thrill like that in a long time, all that adrenaline rushing through my body, but you caught me pretty quick, I should really exercise more...”

The speech faded out of Cassandra's mind and all she could hear was the wind racing by her head, blowing her raven hair backwards. Sat up, staring blankly at nothing in particular, all she could do was think. 'Was that really what I thought it was?' She had never felt anything like it, the rush of adrenaline blocking all thought, the warm tingly sensation in her stomach. 'Maybe I'm ill? No that can't be it, I've felt good all day.' Then what? Surely it can't be...

“...Cassandra. Are you with us?” Zaniah, upon noticing her friend wasn't paying the slightest bit of attention to her rant about exercise decided the next best course of action was to wave a hand in front of her face and say her name.

When Cassandra finally blinked, Zaniah gave a sigh of relief. “That's twice now!”

“I'm sorry.” was all she could mumble.

“Will you stop apologising! Everybody spaces out every now and then, but not twice in quick succession. Maybe your ill?” Zaniah placed the back of her hand on Cassandra's forehead, “You do feel slightly hot and your pulse is going a mile a minute. Come on, not that far now, almost home.” Helping the girl up, Zaniah placed her arm around Cassandra's shoulder and they continued walking.

“You're pretty warm yourself,” mentioned Cassandra, whilst mentally berating herself for saying something so stupid.

“That must have been because of all the running, I haven't run like that since... a few days ago actually, but past then it's been a long time. It'll be dark soon, so I think we should hurry ourselves up.”

The two continued, Zaniah aiding Cassandra, who tried to tell the girl she could walk perfectly fine on her own, but Zaniah wasn't having any of it. “No.” she said, “You're ill and you need to conserve your energy, let me carry your bag for you.”

Cassandra begrudgingly agreed, she did feel light headed. “My bag isn't too heavy, I can carry it on my own.”

A few more minutes walking and the gates of Union could be seen through the trees. Not expecting to be back here so soon, Zaniah didn't really feel the need to rush home and meet up with the folks again. Which was good because she was sure Cassandra wouldn't be able to run for a while yet. Zaniah still revelled in seeing the brick houses and rustic gardens again.

When she saw her house, with it's low granite wall and colourful garden, she pointed it out to Cassandra, who now insisted she walk unaided. Pushing the gate open, Zaniah felt a burgeoning urge to skip to the door, but realised doing such a thing would seem childish in front of her new companion, speaking of which, Zaniah looked back and saw Cassandra stood at the gate. “It's alright, my parents won't bite. Trust me.” she held out her hand and waved her over. Cassandra walked over slowly and uneasily, it was always hard meeting other peoples parents, you always got the feeling that they were analysing your every move to see if you were worthy enough to be friends with their children.

Cassandra felt no different now. 'I bet they hate me.'

Zaniah knocked three times and waited. A few seconds later, the sound of a lock being opened was heard and a thin, brown-haired, male figure wearing glasses stood in the doorway.

“Zaniah! I-we didn't expect you home so soon. And you've brought a friend I see.”

Zaniah's father smiled and she smiled back. “I'm not staying for long, me and my friend were heading for Union Cave... this is Cassandra by the way... when it started to get dark, so I thought we could stop in and have a roof over our heads for the night.”

Zaniah's father gave a hearty laugh, “There's always room for you and a friend at our place. You're just in time too, dinner's almost ready. I'll just go tell Alma she'll be serving for four.”

Cassandra found the opportunity to speak up before he left, “Thank you for letting me stay Mr. Grayson.”

“Don't worry about it and call me Hugh, Mr. Grayson is what they call me at work.” he said with a chuckle.

As he strode away into the kitchen at the other end of the hall, Zaniah motioned for Cassandra to follow her upstairs. “You can put your things in my room and then we can clean ourselves up before we go for dinner. I'm afraid falling over got us both rather dirty.” Cassandra nodded absent-mindedly.

“Okay then.” she replied meekly. What was worse than meeting someone else's parents? Using their bathroom, you're just too used to your own and the differences are kind of scary in a weird OCD kinda way.

“Give me your bag and I'll take it to my room. You can go first in the bathroom, it's just through that door there.” Zaniah pointed to a brown door just to her left.

“Is it alright if I just get a few clothes out of the bag, it's just these have got a bit of dirt on the front.” Cassandra asked.

“Yeah sure, I should get changed as well.” Zaniah looked down at the shirt she was wearing and pointed out various stains that had accumulated over that day. Cassandra pulled out some dark clothing and gave the bag back, Zaniah then turned and went through the door at the end of the corridor.

Cassandra entered the bathroom. 'I suppose it's not all that bad' she thought; it was relatively the same, perhaps the style was slightly different, but everything was in the same place. Calmed, Cassandra continued cleaning her self up, washing her hands and face and changing her clothes. She checked her self in the mirror to see if she was 'up to scratch.' She now wore a long, deep purple dress and a thin black shirt that covered her shoulders and upper arms. Her hair was still fairly messy looking, but it lay straighter than it usually would. Pleased with what she saw, Cassandra turned to leave but heard a knock at the door.

“You alright in there?” Zaniah's voice came from the other side of the door, laced slightly with concern.

Cassandra, instead of replying straight away, opened the door and simply said, “I'm fine. Your turn is it?”

Zaniah stood agape in the doorway. “Wow, you look fantastic” she said after regaining her bearings. “You do know that it's only my house, right? You're not meeting the Queen.”

Cassandra smiled, trying not to blush, “Yeah I know, I just wanted to look impressive so your parents will know you're not traipsing around Johto with an untrustworthy sort.”

Zaniah smiled back and put a hand on Cassandra's shoulder “If there's anything I've learnt over the past few hours of knowing you... It feels longer than that... anyway, if there's anything I've learnt, it's that I could trust you. And nothing my parents say could change that. Besides, I'm a teenager, I'd just rebel anyway.” Zaniah and Cassandra shared a laugh but Zaniah continued, “And yes, I do need the bathroom, so if you'd like to move out of the way, I'd be most appreciative.”

“I'll just go put these in my bag shall I? Last room on the corridor, right?”

“Yeah, you go do that, and I'll... you know, wash.” Zaniah slammed the door closed and Cassandra headed to the last room on the hallway, Zaniah's room.

Cassandra didn't really feel right being in Zaniah's room alone, even though she was invited. She saw her bag at the other side of the bed perched up against the wall, treading slowly and making sure not to touch anything or disturb the feel of the room, she stepped over to her bag and placed her dirty clothes in the top. Standing, Cassandra took a look around the room, the dark blue duvet and pillowcase set, the clean mahogany desk with a big golden framed mirror above it, the wooden dresser she was stood next to and the thick carpeted floor on which she was stood in only a thin pair of black socks.

Just as she was inspecting the poster of a band she'd never heard of, the door flew open and Cassandra jumped. Heart beating a mile a minute, she spun to see who opened the door but gasped as Zaniah was stood there wearing only a towel around her body, barely covering her lower half. “Oh Gods, I forgot you were in here!” She half shouted, turning scarlet.

Cassandra, a very similar colour to Zaniah, blocked her eyes and ran out of the room. “I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm not looking.” She left the room and heard the door slam behind her. Cassandra breathed a sigh of relief and calmed herself down, 'it was a mistake, nothing was meant by it, just calm yourself and get ready for dinner.'

--

The four people currently situated in the small house were all sat around the dinner table, one on each side of the square table. In front of each person was a meal of home made cheese & tamato pizza, which each of the occupants were just about to eat.

Cassandra, not wanting to offend anyone, waited for someone else to take a bite before she did. Spying Zaniah having a taste and making a appreciative noise, she picked up a slice and tore off a small piece. 'Very nice' she thought, and so she took another bite and another, until she had finished eating. By this point everyone had either finished or had almost finished, Cassandra stood and went to put her plate in the sink but found herself being stopped by Zaniah's mother.

“No deary, you're a guest in this house and you'll do no such thing as washing up. I'll do that.” she said it in a caring way that seemed to imply 'I like things done my way' she sat down and watched as Zaniah's mother took all the plates from the table and put them in the sink. “I suppose you'll be wanting an early night so you can be on your way quicker?” Zaniah's mother asked from her place by the sink.

“Oh yes, I think we will. I've heard it's quite the trek through Union Cave and we'll need all the energy we can get.” Zaniah replied.

“It's also quite the journey from the exit to Azalea on the other side after you get through.” added Cassandra matter-of-factly.

Alma took a look at Cassandra for a short period of time before speaking, “I've been meaning to ask Cassandra, why are you taking this so late? I understand that Zaniah wanted to finish up her education before doing anything. Is your case any similar?”

Cassandra, taken aback by being asked a question didn't say anything for a while, “Not really. My dad needed help with work and couldn't afford to take on any help a few years back, now that he knows he can handle the finances and hire someone to help him, he said I was allowed to go off and journey if I wanted to. I went to the gym in Violet because I knew all the training I'd done in my spare time would help me beat the leader easily. That's where I met Zaniah, we were heading in the same direction so I tagged along, we hit it off so she offered to stay here so we had a decent roof over out heads for the night.” The three other people in the room sat (or stood, in Alma's case) and listened to the tale Cassandra was telling. “That's about it really.” she added quietly. “My dad calls himself a 'travelling merchant'. He travels around the place trading with the locals, making profits by buying from overstocked shops and selling to understocked ones. He's fairly good at catching a bargain so he usually gets a fair bit each time he does it.”

“Oh right.” replied Alma, thankfully glad no one caught the sarcasm and lack of interest in her voice. “You two should probably get sorted out for sleep, make sure you have all your things ready before you leave in the morning.”

Zaniah yawned, “Yeah, your right, it's been a long day. I feel pretty tired already, come on Cassandra, I'll show you where you're sleeping.”

The pair excused themselves and made their way back upstairs. At first Cassandra thought they were going to Zaniah's room but she stopped at a door just before it, “This is the guest room, we usually use it if relatives come round, but you should be fine, it has a bed and a few basic things. I'll just go grab your bag, you get comfortable.”

Just as Zaniah said, it looked pretty basic and seemed to be used mainly as storage, judging by the few cardboard boxes around the back wall. She sat on the bed and felt the cream duvet cover, quite soft and the mattress was quite springy. 'I should get a good night's sleep on this,' she thought. Just then, Zaniah appeared at the door and threw the bag to Cassandra.

“Good night.” She said simply, then disappeared again.

Cassandra undressed silently and pulled out some bed clothes from her bag, donning them, she climbed into the bed and fell asleep almost instantly. It had been a long day.

==

Holy crap! Zaniah's parents have names!?

Cassandra being the focal point of the narrative!?

Random Mr. Pokémon backstory!?

What is the world coming to? Cookies for anyone awesome enough to comment! Extra cookies for pointing out mistakes :p

Diddy

Renegade
Don't get too excited... even though I highly doubt anyone would anyway.

So, after some deliberation, I've come to a conclusion, I'm cancelling this fic. But this isn't a double post for the sake of double posting for the sake of telling people I'm cancelling the fic. No. I actually have nineteen and a half chapters of this fic written.

More to prove to myself that they existed than anything else, I'll post them... when I have the time to obviously, I still have a lot of writing to do, just not this. They aren't going to be edited beyond what they are right now and I'm not going to put any effort into editting them afterwards.

This project, for me, lasted for about two years with various hiatuses... hiati?... Anyway, I feel I owe it to the fic to post what I have, so do with it what you will.

Chapter Five – Plumbing The Depths

Cassandra was awoken by the sound of the door opening.

The curtains were pulled to, smothering the room in a dark blanket. She couldn't see who had entered the room, but she could see a slim shape moving slowly towards the bed. Cassandra brought a hand to her eyes in a vain attempt to improve her night vision, “Whozair?” was all she managed to say.

The figure merely shushed her, “Don't worry, it's all right. I know.”

“Know what?” Cassandra asked whilst sitting up, slightly more awake.

“About you and about me. But it's alright, I thought about it and I decided there's nothing I want more.” the voice seemed to be slightly nervous at first.

“I'm sorry, but you're going to have to fill me in on what's happening.” replied Cassandra, feeling very much awake.

A hand then found it's way to her shoulder, pushing her down onto the bed, “Oh believe me, I'll be 'filling you in' all right.” The voice became more powerful, more commanding, Cassandra tried to push them away but found her her will fading, her resolve melting in a pool of molten passion.

“Let's get going shall we?”

“Oi, wake up. We need to get going.”

Cassandra opened her eyes to see Zaniah, fully dressed and standing over her bed. “We need to get going.” she repeated, and as if to make her point more clear, she shoved her watch face at Cassandra, the time showing half seven in the morning.

Cassandra lifted herself from the bed and stretched out her arms in a yawn. “Oh, I'm sorry. I'm not used to waking up this early and I had the weirdest dream.”

“Oh do tell.” Zaniah asked cheerfully.

“Er... No, it was boring really, not much happened.”

“Then how was it weird?”

“I don't usually remember them, so I guess you can say that's weird.”

“You know what? You're weird. Get dressed, my mum has breakfast on the table.” Zaniah left the room, leaving Cassandra time to reflect on what she had been dreaming about. Making a note to discuss it with herself at a later date, she rolled out of bed and got ready.

--

Downstairs and already at the table were the three members of the Greyson family. Father Hugh wearing a thin white t-shirt and jogging bottoms, Mother Alma wearing a faded pink dressing gown and Daughter Zaniah wearing full outdoors gear and her bag.

After ten minutes, Cassandra stumbled through the kitchen door also in full outdoors gear, but found it hard to stifle a yawn. “Morning.” she said to the people around the table. Zaniah and her father responded cordially whereas Alma simply looked up in acknowledgement.

Cassandra, feeling slightly uneasy, changed the subject quickly, “So, er... When are we set to leave.”

Zaniah looked up from her plate, “Just after breakfast. Come on, eat something, you'll need to keep your strength up for the hike,” she answered.

Sitting down besides Zaniah, Cassandra picked up a knife and fork and started to eat the egg and sausage on her plate. The four sat at the table, slowly worked their way through the meal and after everyone had finished, Zaniah's mother piled up the plates and began to wash them in the sink. As she stood there, Hugh, Zaniah's father, stood and left the kitchen and the two teenagers stayed sat and talked quietly for a few minutes.

Alma stood still washing the dishes, but was also eavesdropping on the teens. A disapproving look on her face said that she didn't entirely like what they were discussing.

--

About an hour later and another goodbye from Zaniah, the two girls were off once again.

“So it's just up here?”

“Yeah, the entrance is carved into the rock face, some people from around town made a kind of path through the trees so people could find it easier. But nature, ever persistent as it is, keeps creeping back up along the path every now and then.”

“So we just follow the path?”

“Yeah.”

“Why didn't you just say that?”

“Oh shut up, I'm trying to broaden your horizons with some local history.”

“My horizons are plenty broad, let's just get into the cave and find our way to Azalea. This forest is already giving me the creeps.”

“And going into a dark cave will help?”

“I happen to find darkness soothing. There's something about sensory deprivation that helps make me relax.”

“If you say so...”

And so, the two teenagers were fighting their way through the dense forest along a path that had all but nearly been recaptured by Nature.

“I thought you said that this place was kept clear?” asked Cassandra whilst simultaneously grabbing a vine out of her hair.

“Ever since they built the road from Violet to Azalea, not many people travel down this road any more, except pokémon trainers and the likes who want to see Nature rather than urban development.” replied Zaniah, with the air of a tour guide showing people round a museum.

“I suppose that makes sense. Are we close yet?

“We're actually here, but... I don't see the entrance.” Zaniah stood, hands on hips, with a look of confusion plastered on her face.

The pair had entered a small clearing where they could clearly see rock wall, albeit covered in thick vines, but no cave entrance could be seen.

“Hey, what's that light?” Cassandra spoke up and pointed to a section of the where where a visible light could be seen flickering between a few of the thicker vines gathered along the wall.

“Yeah, your right. That might be the entrance, but how will we move the vines? They're much to big to move by hand.”

“I've got it covered.” said Cassandra with a smirk. From a pocket on her dark pants, she pulled out a green and red apricorn and released it's captor onto the ground in front of them both. What then materialised in front of them was a small green plant with two spiny club-like protrusions on either side of it's body, it's eyes seemed to be staring at nothing in particular and it had a yellow crown shaped plant on top of it's head.

Cacnea!” it shouted, waving one of it's arms in a salute.

Zaniah laughed and the newly materialised cacnea gave a scornful glance at her, but turned it's eyes to Cassandra as if waiting for orders.

“Don't mind her, she's just messing with you. Now I want you to use a Pin Missile attack on the thick vines over the entrance of the cave, think you can do it.”

The cacnea gave another salute and turned it's attention to the rock face in front of it. The cacnea focused its gaze and each spine on it's body started to glow a bright white; slowly, each spine began to vibrate and suddenly they were flung forwards at a surprising speed. The spines attacked the thick vines, an almost endless flurry of bright white, razor sharp needles that ate away at the vegetation, until a clear opening hewn into the rock could be seen.

“Wow, that was amazing. Your cacnea is really good.”

“Yeah, I've had him for quite a while, even before I became a trainer. My dad brought him back for me when he went on a business trip to Hoenn and since then he's been one of my best friends for a long time.”

“Awesome, does your spinarak have a cool story like that?”

“No. I saw him in my garden one day, terrorising the begonias. So I caught him.”

“Oh right. Shall we erm... get going?”

Cassandra nodded in agreement and they strode through the now clear entrance to Union Cave. At first, they expected to be met by muted light, or maybe total darkness, but they were surprised to walk into a pleasant amount of light flickering of the walls.

“It looks like someone has a fire going in here.” Cassandra noted, to which Zaniah seemed to agree.

“It usually is pretty dark in here, so it makes sense. I know I wouldn't like to stumble around a cave in the dark.”

The pair began walking through a tight cave tunnel, dodging stalagmites and stalactites every now and then. The tunnel widened into one massive open chamber with various side tunnels branching off of it, a small pool of water at the bottom of the chamber glistening in the sunlight flickering through a crack in the ceiling.

“Wow.” Zaniah said, taking note of the many flaming torches fixed onto the walls. “Those must be causing all this light.”

“It would seem so.” Cassandra replied apathetically. Without warning, she set off at a jog down a small slope leading the bottom of the cave. Zaniah watched her going down the swirling ramp until she came to a stop at the small pool, she appeared to be kneeling down and inspecting something and Zaniah only found out what when Cassandra shouted “Hey, come check this out.”

After a short jog and the odd stumble or two, Zaniah had made it down to the bottom and was looking rather confused. “What was that all that about?” she asked.

“I thought I saw something weird in the water, and I was right. Look, blood.” she pointed to the centre of the glistening pool where a jet of red could be seen amongst the dark blue.

Zaniah gasped, “What could that be?”

“Most probably just some fish got killed, and recently to. Blood doesn't tend to stick around on the surface of water.” Cassandra looked deep in the dark pool and couldn't discern if it had a bottom at all. “Hmm” she voiced the sound of musing for no particular reason, but it sounded good. “Let's carry on then.”

“Wait. That's it? I thought you were going somewhere with that.” Zaniah asked, still confused.

“That is yet to be seen.” was her only response.

“Jeez. Cryptic much?”

--

The pair had left the pool and got back to where they entered the cave, from there, they walked cautiously around the edge of the chamber until they reached another tunnel swerving away into the mountain. They followed along the thin passageway, glad for the flames lighting their path. Every now and then, Cassandra would make a small noise of appreciation or quiet discontent, Zaniah trekked on in total silence, only looking away from the path when Varla (who had burst unceremoniously out of her pokéball not minutes earlier) made the odd squeak or two.

It was Zaniah who was first to break the near silence with conversation. “Are we perchance just heading in any direction and hoping to find the exit?” she asked sounding exasperated.

“Er, I suppose so. Unless you know the way out?”

“No, I was just asking, but I do think we should turn left here, if my internal compass is anything to be trusted, I do believe that left is the way to Azalea.”

“All right then Human Compass. Left it is.”

The pair stopped at the subterranean t-junction formed in the cave, looked right into the distance, then turned left.

“They should really put signs down here. You know, if trainers are coming down here often, it makes sense that you'd make it so they don't get lost and starve down here. That happened you know. A young lad got lost in the mountains, broke his leg and couldn't make it back to civilisation, his pokémon, not sensing anything wrong, stayed to themselves in their apricorns and only realised what happened when the guy that found him released them. Sad stuff, but it really highlights the problems that today's modern trainer faces.”

Zaniah looked over at Cassandra when she finished speaking and found the girl giving her an odd stare.

“Seriously. You actually made death and suffering boring? You could be a news reporter.” Cassandra gave a flippant shrug and carried on in silence.

“Well. Excuse me for trying to brighten our trip with conversation. I'll not try in the future.” Zaniah folded her arms and looked away at the bland uninteresting rock face.

Finally.

Zaniah flashed back to Cassandra. “What did you say?” she asked indignantly.

Cassandra, affronted, merely stared back with a look of shock. “What? I was being silent, I think you're hearing things.”

“Don't you lie to me. I heard you say 'finally'”

“Well, I didn't hear myself say anything. Unless I went temporarily deaf and suddenly lost control of what my mind decides to say. You choose the more probable option.”

I found it at last.

Zaniah stopped in her tracks. “Well you definitely didn't say that.”

“Now what might that be and just what have they found? You up for a little snooping?” asked Cassandra with a small grin.

“You know what, I think I am.”

Silently making their way along the tunnel, the pair finally emerged in another, smaller chamber and immediately darted behind a large cluster of rocks, they were somewhat shadowed in this corner and so they could observe without much intrusion from any unwanted visitors.

Namely the uniformed visitors chipping away at a huge section of rock wall.

This appeared to be a small scale operation, there were about seven workers excavating the wall it seemed and only about three others that looked like the 'leaders' as it were. They were the ones barking the orders and the ones in slightly flashier coats.

Cassandra and Zaniah looked on, minds racing, thinking up explanations for what these people could be doing. They then both sat, backs against the rocks, and turned to face each other.

Zaniah spoke first, “It could be completely legitimate. Those three looked pretty official, the ones with white coats on.”

“Legitimate my dodgy left kidney. There's something really weird about these guys, I reckon they're up to no good.”

“Oh really, you think that or you want that?”

“Oh shut up. You know it'd be cool if they really were up to no good and we sorted them all out.”

“With what!? We're two teenagers, none of which look strong enough to throw a half decent punch, who also have three pokémon between them, let's not forget Varla is only a baby and despite you having one badge, I really don't think your cacnea and spinarak could take on ten people. That doesn't sound very 'cool' to me.”

“You're over analysing it. I know, lets just walk through nonchalantly and if they act really weird and try and make us go, then we know something is up, if not, then you're right.”

“Sounds good to me, but what if-”

“Oi, that's over analysis. Lets go.”

Standing up slowly, the two teenagers edged towards the entrance and tried to look as casual as possible.

“So then I walked into the kitchen, and he wasn't wearing any pants!” the two girls laughed, then stopped as they pretended to notice the activity going on.

“Hey what are those two doing here?”

Everyone looked up and in the teenagers direction, several workers ran over to where they were standing and stood in their way.

“This area is for strict research only. No pedestrians allowed.” one said, hands on his hard hat.

“Move, move. Out of my way.”

A tall dark-haired head could been seen bobbing behind the gathered workers, eventually pushing it's way to the front revealing a fierce looking woman in her mid thirties. “Get back to work, we have a deadline.” The gathered workers grumbled and turned back to the wall and continued excavating. “And why might you two be stumbling around a restricted area. The path clearly indicates you turn right.”

Zaniah, as she found herself a lot lately, looked confused “We didn't see a sign.”

“Some internal compass you got there.” mentioned Cassandra in a hushed whisper.

“I don't care. You need to leave now, we are conducting vital research and you are wasting my time. If you'd like to go back from where you came and stick to the path next time.” The research leader turned away and fell into a discussion with the other two in the fancy coats.

Cassandra gave an appreciative whistle. “Yep. Definitely something going on.”

They did as they were told and turned and headed for the cave mouth from which they entered, but before they did, Zaniah pointed to a generator on the floor, with cables leading to a high powered floodlight. “Have you ever seen that logo before?” she said, pointing to a black hexagon with small white writing on the inside of it pasted onto the side of the generator.

“Are you serious? That thing's on almost every pokémon utility item out there. Look I'll show you.” Cassandra felt around in her bag and pulled out a small green spray bottle, turned it over and pointed below the ingredient list to the same black hexagon as on the generator. “See.”

“Then why are a Pharmaceutical company funding some kind of excavation in a cave that not many people go into.”

“So the plot thickens. The game is afoot dear Greyson, it appears we have a mystery to solve.”

“Stop talking like that.”

--

Now heading down the right hand path, the two teenagers had begun a discussion about what exactly those people could have been doing in Union Cave.

“It might be legitimate, she could just be stressed out from having to work underground for who knows how long. And the whole 'finding' thing might just be something she was looking for. For her research.”

“And the backing from the Pharmaceutical giant?” asked Cassandra, cynical to the last.

“Perhaps they want to find some kind of rare compound which can aid in helping all the poor hurt pokémon out there.” answered Zaniah, not even believing herself.

Cassandra stared at Zaniah, “Seriously?”

“You never know.”

“Shouldn't we just work on finding our way out. Then we can worry about tackling a multi-billion dollar corporation.”

“Yeah you're probably right. Didn't that woman say the path was clearly marked?”

Cassandra thought for a moment. “I don't remember any 'clear markings' on the walls or anything when we walked by.”

“Someone might have took it down and the research people might not have noticed.”

“You're a real 'glass-half-full' kinda person you know.” noted Cassandra.

“You say that like it's a bad thing.”

“It's not necessarily a bad thing. Just that it's not the most helpful attitude to have when your a pokémon trainer. With the whole surviving outside thing and the taking care of yourself, you can't trust everyone you meet on the street, and especially those you meet in the woods.”

“What about caves? We should turn right.”

Cassandra stopped and studied the naturally formed junction. “And how did you come to that conclusion?”

Zaniah knelt on the floor and pointed at a bunch of fungi growing from a crack in the rock. “If you look closely, these mushrooms form an arrow. An arrow that points right.”

Cassandra looked at her with a raised eyebrow for a few seconds. “Makes sense to me. Right we go.”

After a few minutes of walking however, the pair seemed to regret the logic which led them here. “Is the cave supposed to be getting colder, damper and darker?” asked Cassandra.

“Oh be quiet, you saw the fungus patch.”

“That's probably a coincid-”

“No disputing the fungus patch!” Zaniah shouted pointedly.

“Sorry, just pointing something out.” Cassandra mumbled in reply.

The two novice trainers walked in silence after that. And perhaps if they had been talking, they might not have heard the low melancholy whine of pain coming from further down the passageway. Zaniah was the first to notice the noise and after several failed attempts to alert Cassandra to it, she gave up and ran towards the groaning. After all, if there was someone or something hurt down there, she wouldn't want to keep them from getting aid.

“Oi, where you going?” shouted Cassandra into the darkness.

--

You know how I said dreams mean a lot in this fic. Welp... read what you will into that one at start, you're probably right.

Glover

Pain in Rocket side
Aww... well, anyway, thanks for posting what you have, and not just leaving us hanging to dry. Will 19.5 have a semi-conclusion or an epilougue of what was to come? Or will it just be flapping in the breeze?

Diddy

Renegade
One of my friends on here was posting a journey fic before he cancelled it and he was nice enough to put up a fairly detailed account of what he had planned for the fic. I know how much it helped for me, so I had planned to do something similar.

So after I've posted it all, I'll try and give people as much detail as I can about where I wanted to go with it.

Glover

Pain in Rocket side
One of my friends on here was posting a journey fic before he cancelled it and he was nice enough to put up a fairly detailed account of what he had planned for the fic. I know how much it helped for me, so I had planned to do something similar.

So after I've posted it all, I'll try and give people as much detail as I can about where I wanted to go with it.

Squee. Looking forward to it.