• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Forging Forest Friendships! (841)

Soaring Pikachu

Cool Trainer
Maybe not bland exactly, just that it felt like a waste of the new Ghost type pokemon. Usually they come with some kind of spooky plot line or scary moment.

thetamale

Enjoyable. Trevenant is one of my favourite gen 6 pokemon so it's nice to see it though I was expecting it to be pronounced with a longer ee. I'm also very fond of Sudowoodo so that was a nice addition, having the tree being friends with the fake tree.

I've not tested it but wouldn't flying press be neutrally effective on Trevenant and Pumpkaboo because of the flying and grass type match ups?

PlayinWithFire

Hex Trainer
Honestly this was a nice episode and I was secretly hoping that Ash would catch Trevenant since it will make a great addition to his team and the fact that I'm still waiting for him to officially catch a ghost type. The fist bump between Hawlucha and Froakie was awesome and cool and I hope they become brofriends. I noticed that when Hawlucha was on-screen Mexican wrestling type music would come on I love that too, this episode might be a favorite for awhile :p

This was a good episode, though it could've been better if Trevenent did more. On a plus side, it was nice to see Froakie get a new move as well as establishing a combo with Hawlucha and Froakie.

Vipsoccermaster

A good and fine episode. It was great to see Hawlucha and Froakie get their relationship on good terms. When they saw Ash's hat, they knew they had to work together to find and save Ash. Also nice to see Trvenenant. Froakie learning Cut was also nice. Froakie really cares about Pikachu, as this is the second time he saved Pikachu.

-chazz-

Pokemon master
I really enjoyed the episode, it showcased Ash training (instead of him just saying it to Korrina and going off and getting caught up in things).

I like that Froakie learnt a new move, i like how it was a HM as well, you dont often see the HM moves used in the anime.

I really like how Hawlucha and Froakie are now bros, and i think its cool that spanish guitar is used scenes involving Hawlucha.

Orton155

Pokemon Enthusiast
To echo the above, it was very refreshing to see two of Ash's Pokémon working together. It worked quite well as both Hawlucha and Froakie are very noble Pokémon as they are based on Luchadores and Ninja's respectively so I suppose it was a given that they would clash as they are very strict to their practices. It was just as cool to see Ash utilising a combo move between Froakie and Hawlucha and I hope that we see it used further in the adventure. I suppose it isn't beyond the realm of possibility that double battles could be used in the Kalos League and the 'Super Flying Cut' will make a star appearance there.

Good episode, onto the next one!

the1stpkmnfan

Your Big Buff Bro
I enjoyed the growth between Froakie and Hawlucha; two of my favorite Kalos Pokemon. Regardless, that's all I really enjoyed from the episode.

What really bugged me was the ending. Seeing Bonsly, Sudowoodo and Trevanant together... I REALLY wish Trevanant was the final evolution of Sudowoodo.

"Forging Forest Friendships"
three "F" words in a row.
"F" is the 6th letter of the alphabet.
I'm now scared!

This is the second time in, I believe, 3 episodes Team Rocket has appeared after setting a trap.
In the past they would appear first, kind of explaining what they plan to do.

Trevenant looks like a third evolution stage of Bonsly and Sudowood. Yes, I know it isn't, hence why I said "looks like".

munchlaxboy

Catching up on XY
Forging Forest Friendships frantically focuses on a fiery frog and his full-of-himself fighting fowl friend.

Sorry about that. I was in an alliterative mood.

Anyway, this episode does indeed put two very strong-willed, proud Pokemon in the spotlight. Ash sets up Froakie and Hawlucha to work together as a team, but Hawlucha's ego and Froakie's stubbornness get in the way. The duo can't seem to get along until Ash is kidnapped, forcing the two to work together to get him back...actually, that's at least what I thought would happen. Instead, Ash ends up rescuing them from danger, jumping in front of his captor, Trevenant, to take the ghost tree's Will-o-Wisp attack like the blindly heroic kid that the XY saga has made him out to be. Froakie and Hawlucha end up figuring out how to work as a team by the end of the episode from a fight with Team Rocket.

There was a lot to like about this episode. Hawlucha's ego certainly makes him quite the entertainer, and Froakie--who I believe was largely in the right for this episode, not Hawlucha--continues to exhibit his determined, stubborn character. I really how every Pokemon on the main cast's teams is pretty well-developed so far--every creature has a definable personality, which is something I don't think the other sagas of the Pokemon anime can boast about.

Overall, a solid episode with some really fun interactions. The story kinda took a turn for the worse when Ash essentially saved himself and his Pokemon instead of the other way around (probably would've been a better choice to have had Froakie and Hawlucha figure out how to work as a team during their mission to rescue Ash instead of failing said mission and figuring it all out afterwards), but I guess it turned out alright in the end.

Grade: B

Side Note: Ash didn't even get a burn from that Will-o-Wisp attack? Wow. He must have had a Substitute up or something. ;)

Side Note 2: Up next for review: Pokémon the Movie XY: Diancie and the Cocoon of Destruction! There doesn't seem to a set place in the canon to watch this episode, but Bulbapedia said that it should come after Fletching evolves and Froakie learns Cut. They've both done just that at this point in my current show-watching journey, so I'm taking on the movie next. I hope it's a good one!

EDIT: The only version of the Diancie movie I can watch online is the Cartoon Network TV cut, and after watching it is does seem like a bajillion corners were cut. I am ordering the full, uncut movie on DVD and will watch ASAP...but that may take a while. I could use a break haha

Last edited:

munchlaxboy

Catching up on XY
Hope you like deus ex machina along with diabolus ex machina.

:D

I (unknowingly) watched the Cartoon Network TV version, which apparently cut out five minutes of footage. The film felt really incomplete to me, and it completely fell apart in the second half. I cannot find the uncut version online, so I'm gonna order it on DVD and hopefully get a chance to watch the "real" version in a couple of weeks.

JudySpell

Banned
Trevenant was awesome & I wish Ash had gotten it since Ghost types are the best. Hawlucha and Froakie's combo move was powerful and I liked it. 8/10

wobbanut

Team Awesome
Pretty good episode, Hawlucha and Froakie were fun to watch even when they were arguing with each other. At least they finally started to respect each other at the end. I liked the frubble decoy too, that was interesting. Poor Bunnelby, though. :( It was funny when Chespin got outed for eating the poke puffs, though, LOL. I also liked Pumpkaboo's grin when Hawlucha just went through it. :)

7/10

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
Looks like we finally have some more character for Hawlucha: it seems like it's very egotistical and flashy with all it posing and getting angry at Froakie for stealing his kill. He also seems to be clean fighter where he takes hits and dishes them back.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Hawlucha and Froakie's fist bump was cool at first, tho they ended up getting on each other's nerves. Ash being kidnapped by a Trevenant seemed kind of scary, tho I liked how it was all to save Sudowoodo and Bonsly.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I was pleased to see Satoshi doing some grueling training for the upcoming Shara City Gym battle, and his Keromatsu and Luchabull having difficulty getting in-sync was entertaining. The whole kidnap situation when Ohrot took Satoshi was amusing, although I would've liked if Satoshi had managed to get that Ohrot.

Alloutℯ

Banned
Fun episode for showcasing Hawlucha. Gotta love that the first thing Ash does when he wakes up is whip out his Pokédex. Not that it's a bad idea to find out what the heck just abducted you, but priorities. Cool to see a fist bump of respect at the end.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Looking back, Satoshi's focus on making his Keromatsu and Luchabull develop an attack combination seemed pointless, especially since the Shara Gym match would focus on single battles. So teamwork wouldn't have mattered.