• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Formatting 3ds SD card

Prakhar

Normal: The abnormal
Hi there! I just upgraded my 3ds SD card using a mac, and now i want to upgrade it using windows, it cant open my SD card with the data on it without formatting, and well... formatting deletes data.

So, my question is..how do i format my SD card without losing GAME data, cuz most of the recovery programs only have camera stuff to recover.

HEEEELP!!!

Crash & Charm

Back I guess
Mhm, I have had this problem before, not on the ds sd card specifically but in generall. Make sure you back up the data before you do anything. Then format the sdcard and try to put the data back onto it. An external hard drive that can connect with both mac and windows is very useful in this situation.

Last edited:

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
If it's working in the 3DS then it should work in any operating system.

Prakhar

Mhm, I have had this problem before, not on the ds sd card specifically but in generall. Make sure you back up the data before you do anything. Then format the sdcard and try to put the data back onto it. An external hard drive that can connect with both mac and windows is very useful in this situation.

Sorry if i am a noob, but how do i back up data? Put it on a new SD card using the mac, or fiddle with the 3ds settings?

Crash & Charm

Back I guess
just copy the data into your computer.

If everything goes wrong, you will have a backup that you can restore from there.

Prakhar

just copy the data into your computer.

If everything goes wrong, you will have a backup that you can restore from there.

Well, THAT is the problem! It does not open without formatting, and well, formatting deletes data.

Oh, now i get it! I use a mac to save data cuz it opens on mac, format it on windows, transfer mac data using gmail, and copy paste it on the windows formatted SD card! I hope it works!

dragonskull

Dark trainer
This is not really an answer but meant more as something useful if you want to know a bit more about formatting.

You cannot format data on a SD card without losing the data stored on it. Formatting means that you redefine certain parameters on the file system you're going to use and thus inadvertently resetting the points where the file system you're replacing knows where data is stored.