• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Forretress VS Ferrothorn

Which is better-Fortress or Ferrothorn

• Ferrothorn is better

Votes: 33 78.6%
  • Fortress is better

Votes: 9 21.4%

• Total voters

emboarrocks

#1 emboar fan
Forretress VS Ferrothorn. They are both commonly used for leads. Ferrothorn can be an effective switch in to dragons or a staller. I've used fortress once before but I prefer Ferrothorn. I guess Forretress gets Toxic Spikes and Volt switch though. What do you think?

GOLDENCRS

I'm a f***** Ponyta
Forretress is better on paper with a better defense stat and access to all entry hazards, but Ferrothorn is more effective with a switch into Pokemon like Scarfed Haxorus to rack up Iron Barbs, and can use Rocky Helmet for more damage added on. Ferrothorn also has good offenses, and can use moves like Power Whip and Gyro Ball. Ferrothorn is better I think, but both are countered now.

Jew Bagel

Phoenix
I use a Fortress, and it worked out amazingly, because no matter what happened I always got in atleast a SR, and two layers of spikes.

Gelatino95

Not a tool
Depends on what you want it for. Forretress is pretty useless outside of entry hazards and rapid spin. However, Ferrothorn can perform multiple roles well. It can set up entry hazards like Forretress. It can stall pretty well thanks to Leech Seed, and possibly Toxic. It also has more viable attacking options, with Power Whip and especially Gyro Ball, which gains immense power from Curse. Both of these pokemon work well under rain because rain helps weaken their worst/only weaknesses.

Overall, I say Ferrothorn is better.

AJ

❖☢☼☯☾♛☮
having used both, i choose ferrothorn, forretress is good, but with power whip, and being able to switch in on things like tyranitar and hurt it with iron barbs, it is out classed in that sense, equal as spikes imo, but overall, ferro kills

irock245

She wants it
Me,personally, forterress is better in ubers, but ferrothorn is better in OU. I say forterress because i can do stuff with him.

darkrai's_shadow

Fear of the Dark!
i say ferrothorn is better, it has more balanced defenses, a way of healing outside of lefties with leech seed, and is better at using gyro ball because it has lower speed, but if the two were to face each other, hmm, that would take a while

Ferrothorn is better in general. They both have great typing, although Ferrothorn's gives it a unique resistance to Electric and Water moves, amongst others. Ferrothorn also has pretty decent recovery, a great ability to punish physical attackers, useful utility in Thunder Wave, and two great high-powered STABs to go along with its solid Atk stat. Still, Forretress does have Toxic Spikes and Rapid Spin, so it has a niche.

Xx_BS-TyKi_xX

Se habla español

I find more useful Ferrothorn, being serious it can deal damage to a physicall sweeper whitout using a move, the Defense is lower than Forre's but it has a higher Sp Defense and it has Curse ;D

I know both can set up hazards, but only Forretress can sweep them from the field (and it has no other work ._.) in change, Ferrothorn can sweep and stall ;D

ArcanineShrine014029

Ferrothorn. Foretress lacks resistances to Water and electric that most steels lack, other than Ferrothorn. Ferrothorn gets good recovery via leech seed and ingrain, solid attacks like Curse+gyro ball and power whip, and defenses that are spread out better, rather than being completely physically defensive.

But you can't help but admire being able to have three entry hazards at once. Ultimately, my vote still goes to Ferrothorn.

Rhys29

Encore
Mostly this comes down to personal preference or what you're looking for on your team. I looked at each candidate in terms of several categories.

~ Offensive ~
Ferrothorn wins this without question. Though they have similar Attack stats and almost equally negligible Special Attack, Ferrothorn has a movepool that consists of more than Gyro Ball, even if it extends only to Power Whip. On top of this, Ferrothorn can use Curse, Hone Claws, or Swords Dance to set up while Forretress will have to rely on Power Trick to do any real damage, and doing so compromises Forretress's greatest attribute. If you're going to use either offensively, there's no reason to use Forry.

~ Defense ~
I believe strongly that Ferrothorn is victorious here as well.

Ferrothorn's resists: Normal-, Water-, Electric-, Grass- (x4 resist), Psychic-, Rock-, Ghost-, Dragon-, and Dark-type. 9 total +1 x4 resist.
Forretress's resists: Normal-, Grass- (x4), Ice-, Psychic-, Bug-, Ghost-, Dragon-, Dark-, Steel-type. 9 total +1 x4 resist.

Their resistances are similar, but Ferrothorns Water/Electric resistances are a lot more useful than the Ice/Bug resistances Forretress has. Not to mention Ferrothorn's resistance to Stealth Rock helps. In terms of stats, sure, Forretress barely comes out on top on the physical side, but there is no contest on who can take special hits better. On top of this, Ferrothorn's ability punishes an opponent for attacking with common moves, making him even less favorable to run into. Defensively, you'd want to run into a Forry much more than a Ferrothorn.

~ Utility ~
While one could argue Ferrothorn's superiority in this category, Forretress is the better of the two. Access to Toxic Spikes and Rapid Spin, as well as the Spikes and Stealth Rock the two have in common, makes Forry much better at supporting the team than Thorn. Forry can also set Screens while the ability Overcoat gives it the chance to shine on Hail teams, making him one of the two Toxic Spike users immune to Hail damage.

This is why I believe Ferrothorn is the superior Pokemon, but Forretress still has its uses. Hell, Ferrothorn has changed the entire metagame while Forretress has yet to do anything different since 2nd Gen.​

Mayu808

GIGA DRILL BREAK!!!!
Yeah, Forretress all the way FTW blah blah blah! No, I wish I coil say that as I do not like ferrothorn, but he is the better choice, so sadly, ferrothorn wins.

Both are very good. Ferrothorn is far easier to just throw on a team and have work well but Forretress + Blissey makes an extremely strong defensive core.

Are you guys all soooooo Stupid? Fortress and Ferro do different things!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So, I can't say which one. Fortress RS. and Ferro beings annoying, the only thing simialr is the names

Ruby Blue

Are you guys all soooooo Stupid? Fortress and Ferro do different things!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So, I can't say which one. Fortress RS. and Ferro beings annoying, the only thing simialr is the names

You mean the two dual steel-type pokémon, whom set up entry hazards in OU do completley different things? >.>

Both set up Spikes/SR (Toxic Spikes too for Forretress). That's their primary role.
They also perform other roles, with Ferrothorn's Leech Seed or Forretress Rapid Spin, but in essence they're used for the same purpose: Entry Hazards.

Overall, I appreciate Ferrothorn's Water & Electric resistances and special bulk, but I do see the value in using Forretress.

Psycho Cut

Ferrothorn. Not even close. Ferrothorn has good recovery in leech seed, good stat boosting moves like curse and so can sweep afterwards with gyro ball.

calze6

Reclaiming da ladder
Ferrothorn. With solid defenses on both spectrums, an excellent set of resistances and an actual offensive capability while being able to not only spike but wall, ferrothorn is better. It is also a great water/drizzle check.

You mean the two dual steel-type pokémon, whom set up entry hazards in OU do completley different things? >.>

Both set up Spikes/SR (Toxic Spikes too for Forretress). That's their primary role.
They also perform other roles, with Ferrothorn's Leech Seed or Forretress Rapid Spin, but in essence they're used for the same purpose: Entry Hazards.

Overall, I appreciate Ferrothorn's Water & Electric resistances and special bulk, but I do see the value in using Forretress.

Skarmory does the same thing too, Sigh