• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Forum Downtime - 49 New Avatars!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avegaille

ジャッジメントですの!
Bleh, I was wondering why I couldn't get into the forums. Oh well. Hope the problem is fixed by this time.

Nice avatars! Hope there are some May ones in it...

SpaceFlare

insert custom title
Hey, nice avatars...

Why does downtime always coincide with our summer break? It happened last year and it's gonna happen again...

Lord_sNap said:
Why does downtime always coincide with our summer break? It happened last year and it's gonna happen again...
Summertime = More people having free time = More people joining the forums.

Cute avs.

Nathan Madien

Me on a Good Day
Ninetales said:

Cute avs.

That makes a lot of sense.

day_macca

Boulder Trainer
Cool avatars (still don't know what is going on with brock's face though). The sceptile one looks great

nice avatars!

um... Can I suggest two avatars?
Time Traveling Celebi (Pokemon 4eva) and Dark/Evil Celebi (Pokemon 4eva)?

Juputoru

M-m-m-m-onobear?!
Lord_sNap said:
Ninetales said:
...but...it's...(almost) spring now...@_@ (or fall in the Southern Hemisphere, I guess) Where are you getting "summer" from? D: I suppose that it'd just be ENDING in the Southern Hemisphere, but...I understand the logic, just not why summer is now in March.

Anyway, great avvies. I'd probably use one of the Manene ones myself if I hadn't changed my avvie relatively recently. :<

Zora

perpetually tired
Re: Downtime

Normally SPPf takes a long time to show up and usually says the can not display page message. However there were two very strange things today:

1.) Earlier today SPPf did not exist. It just went to the "can not find www.serebiiforums.com"

2.) Later was much more normal however it loaded instantly.

Is this downtime getting more rare but more serious. I am currently infering that there is more then one problem. Is this the start of another major shutdown of SPPf since it looks like there is more then one problem.

Willow's Tara

The Bewitched
Okay, Joe may be way too busy to answer ym PM so I ask here.
Does anyone remeber this person going around the forusm saying another site was gonna get us or something? I think it was called Pokedream, me just might be being parnoid but what if what he was saying was true?

Brute Root

I'm a Christian
I say we need to find a better host fer the website er somethin like that. (I have no idea what I'm talking about...it seemed like it was a good idea...my friend did it fer his website).

Aptenodytes

Zora said:
Normally SPPf takes a long time to show up and usually says the can not display page message. However there were two very strange things today:

1.) Earlier today SPPf did not exist. It just went to the "can not find www.serebiiforums.com"

2.) Later was much more normal however it loaded instantly.

Is this downtime getting more rare but more serious. I am currently infering that there is more then one problem. Is this the start of another major shutdown of SPPf since it looks like there is more then one problem.

Yes, this seems to have happened to me as well. I have never had a problem like this before. The most the forum was down at a time for me was one hour before I could log on. I'm thinking there is something really serious going on, and needs to be fixed as soon as possible before it gets worse. I just hope it gets fixed soon...

Alilatias

Simple Bard
Either way, if there even is another 'site' that is causing this (I'm not saying there is), how would we even prove that they're the cause of all of this? All we would do is cause a 'site war' if we start pointing fingers at each other.

It might be great to have fans arguing over a series in general (ie. the things that happen in the anime, game arguments, arguments that actually have something to do with what happens in the series, etc.), but to have the fans 'personally' attacking each other over the internet by sabatoging each other's work/flaming/arguing over anything that doesn't really have anything to do with a series in general (by this, I'm excluding fanfics and fancomics, for there are critiques that I've seen that tell the maker to improve on grammar and such as long as it dosen't lead to actual flaming)/etc? What would be the point of all of that? It would just lead to more arguments.

In the meantime, Serebii says that the problem will be fixed soon. He did mention something in the first post about having to take the server offline in an attempt to find and fix the problem, right? The latest so-called 'crash' may have been just that. We might have to resort to extreme measures such as switching to a different forum host and such, but it shouldn't have to cause any real problems among us Pokemon fans, does it? The downtime might be a bit fustrating at times, but I'm sure we all have other methods of passing the time.
The only piece of advice I have for now is just be paitent for now.

Either way, the avatars are nice, but for now, I think I'll just stick to the trusty Swellow. Don't want to ignore the main Pokemon in my Fizzy Bubbles team.

*first time that I've actually said something this major outside of the Fizzy Bubbles/Clubs forum* Guh. I'm probably going to recieve a flame for this post, but meh. :/

Last edited:

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
The downtime isnt due to the servers being shoddy, its just a bug in the OS thats causing it (And you all think Unix is god, ironic)

We cannot afford to get a better server, we already funnel like $6,000 a year into these servers

I DID warn of the downtime so really you shouldn't be moaning about it

Pre-emptive Warn: Server will go down on either Tuesday or Wed for a couple of hours to try and fix once and for all

Skrusti

Serebii said:
The downtime isnt due to the servers being shoddy, its just a bug in the OS thats causing it (And you all think Unix is god, ironic)

We cannot afford to get a better server, we already funnel like $6,000 a year into these servers

Pre-emptive Warn: Server will go down on either Tuesday or Wed for a couple of hours to try and fix once and for all

Do you know exactly what is wrong with it?

Understandable. VBulletin is an excellent board service.

Agreed :/ It might make you all bored as hell, but live with it being down. I'm sure there are other things you can do that'll waste your time as much as being here does :p

And hopefully it does fix it. Quick, someone perform luck rituals >_>

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Well if it's anything like the problem we're having on the site (which we're not sure if it is) then the server is collecting all of this log information but for some reason isnt getting it out of it's memory (i.e. releasing it in the form of a log file) and the amount of information gets more and more and crashes the Apache on the server...The E-mail, FTP etc. all works, its just the site cannot be viewed

Deoxys Prime

Time will tell.
We shouldn't be complaining, we all have lives and things besides the site to do. I enjoy coming to the site and doing something with my club, which is pretty good. Personally I don't mind that much if the site goes down. I'm sure you guys have stuff you can do, sports, other sites, hanging out with friends and so on and so forth.

Nathan Madien

Me on a Good Day
Serebii said:

At least I know now that if I can't get into the forum, the problem isn't with my computer. It's some internal problem.

Last edited:

Crazedyanma

Cyclipse
Skrutsi said:
It might make you all bored as hell, but live with it being down.

I'm sure there are other things you can do that'll waste your time as much as being here does :p
Yes, it's not like the forums are going down forever. They will always recover in short time.

This part of the post is the kind of thing that starts flamewars around here. You know, there are some people who need this place for certain problems. I'll list some.

1. To make friends
2. To solve emotional problems

Those were only samples. There are over 8000 members and I don't think they come here to waste their time. What you've said right there is nothing but BS dear boy.

Status
Not open for further replies.