1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Forum Upgrade This Week

Discussion in 'Serebii.net Discussion' started by Serebii, Feb 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Banana Knight Arthur

Banana Knight Arthur NEGATIVE MINUS

A voice of reason!

Ingrate!

Quoted for the truth…~

2. Cereza

Cereza Beautiful Witch

I really know nothing about how forums work so I have a question:
    Wouldn't implementing more strict rules on signatures help the server any? I'd rather change my usersame once a year/have my own avatar that have 25 pictures following me around all day.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  3. Owl

Owl G-Rank Hunter

Hey! Play nice. >:I

4. Sarcastic Oshawott

Sarcastic Oshawott Wow such forum

I love you, moderation and administration staff. <3 ^_~

5. ellie

ellie Δ Staff Member Admin

no. pictures in signatures are hosted on external sites so they don't really affect these forums. the name change issue has nothing to do with server space. there's a glitch somewhere in the process that causes it to lock up when it has to go through and change the name displayed on every single thread, post, visitor message, private message, etc that you have made. we don't know where the glitch is, so we are simply hoping that these updates will repair the glitch.

6. Harmonie

Harmonie ♫ Ad vivere

There's something I'm not getting here... I've been a member of many other vBulletin forums and they typically have the option of using an avatar hosted on an external site.

7. Cassiopeia

Cassiopeia No more massacres.

For whatever reason using externally hosted avatars creates a vulnerability in the system or something. Also, it might need a hack, which Joe isn't fond of.

8. ellie

it's not really about vulnerabilities. iirc joe said somewhere that even if it's an external site it still gets uploaded to the server apparently. i'm not sure where the post was, though.

9. PokemonTrainerKaden

PokemonTrainerKaden Well-Known Member

Thanks for the warning!

10. SilverLanayru

SilverLanayru It's a mystery.

Well, I do lurk here from time to time (especially since I do have moderation duties on another site to tend to), but I'll keep your update noted. Hopefully, the transitioning process will go well. o:

11. Harmonie

Harmonie ♫ Ad vivere

I was wondering if that was the case.

Anyway, now what really confuses me is why we are allowed to upload profile pictures. Why is that different? It's uploading pictures to the site, right?

12. Hydrohs

Hydrohs 安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。 Staff Member Super Mod

Alright. Someone inform me: What will be happening to my lovely Gold and Silver skin, is it sticking around?

Honestly that's all I care about.

13. ellie

well the difference is profile pictures are only displayed when you visit someone's profile and it's only one pic in the whole page. for avatars, every time you view a thread the server has to display 20 different images (or more/less depending on your posts per page view). most of the pages clicked are of threads, not profiles, and it has to gather 20x more pics for a thread page rather than a profile page.

14. Harmonie

Harmonie ♫ Ad vivere

Aw... Okay.

It's a real shame this forum has such major issues with that.

15. Hydrohs

Hydrohs 安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。 Staff Member Super Mod

It has a lot of traffic. Even small images being downloaded repeatedly would rack up the bandwidth use.

16. Dragonite77

Dragonite77 Member

Cool I can't wait for the New Serebii, It's a new Dawn people! Thanks for keeping us updated!

17. Serebii

Serebii And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared... Staff Member Admin

Game skins are the next to do :) We just need to get this upgrade out of the way quickly so we can't do all the styles straight out

18. PrismaticPrincessAnna

PrismaticPrincessAnna I'll do my Lilliest

So its still the same if we host the avatar link from another site to use it for here?
    Its still gonNa lag the forum? :/ nya~

19. Jb

Jb Tsun in the streets

Even if you host the avatar link on another site it still uploads it to this one. It didn't really lag the forums, it just took up a massive amount of space.

20. Serebii

Serebii And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared... Staff Member Admin

It'd also fill up the database causing it to be bigger and bigger causing more problems

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.