• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Fossil Pokémon

What is your favourite Fossil-pokémon?

• Omanyte--Omastar (Rock/Water)

Votes: 9 4.8%
  • Kabuto--Kabutops (Rock/Water)

Votes: 29 15.4%
  • Aerodactyl (Rock/Flying)

Votes: 35 18.6%
  • Lileep--Cradily (Rock/Grass)

Votes: 22 11.7%
  • Anorith--Armaldo (Rock/Bug)

Votes: 20 10.6%
  • Cranidos--Rampardos (Rock)

Votes: 14 7.4%
  • Shieldon--Bastiodon (Rock/Steel)

Votes: 7 3.7%
  • Tirtouga--Carracosta (Water/Rock)

Votes: 24 12.8%
  • Archen--Archeops (Rock/Flying)

Votes: 28 14.9%

• Total voters

MugoUrth

Bibarel's adorable.
Omastar: That silly face always made me smile, and I always liked that shell on its back. I'll admit, though, I like Omastar better now than when I did as a kid.

Kabutops: ...Kabutops has always been a less-cool version of Scyther to me. ...Okay, as a kid, I always wanted Kabutops, but as a kid, I also only liked Pokemon just for being lizard like and having weapons. Now a days, I don't have as much respect for it as I did as a kid.

Aerodactyl: I'll admit he can look cool in the right light, but the games rarely show that right light to me.

Armaldo: Armaldo is kind of adorable in a way. I remember playing Pokemon XD and seeing Armaldo's animation in that game where he slams his tail down, and then the big guy shakes for a second. I always found that cute, to be honest.

Cradilly: Meh. ...All I really have to say. Meh.

Ramparudos: Another meh. He's kind of cool, but not as much as Omastar or Armaldo to me.

Bastiodon: I used to be really disgusted by Bastiodon. It's so ugly. And yet, it's so ugly it's kind of cute.

Caracosta: ...Nope. This guy's just plain ugly.

Archeops: Archeops is kind of cool. Colorful and pretty lizard-like in the face. Even then, I'm never been all that much of a fan.

All in all, it would be a toss-up between Omastar and Armaldo.

My favourite fossil Pokemon is Carracosta, for me it easily has the nicest design of all the fossils.

Tonguetyd

If that ruins Rampardos, then ~90% of the rest are useless too, and we might as well all just use uber legends.

What do you mean?Rampardos sucks,but that does not mean 90% of Pokemon suck.

Necro101

My favourite fossil Pokemon is either the anorith line or the archen line. I like Archeops cauz he is a BAWSS flying type with bad self esteem... (his ability) And I like Armaldo because (third qen was the best) he has EPIC clawz and he just has the best design of all the fossil Pokemon.

RAWK ON

Mitja

Veteran smartass
What do you mean?Rampardos sucks,but that does not mean 90% of Pokemon suck.

Ive been defeating pokemon with it all day long on my NU-tier fossil team.
The whole team would play miserably on any higher tier.

Yes 90% of pokemon suck and are easily countered/KOd compared to the better 10%.
All I am saying is, just because Rampardos cannot compete with guys like Garchomp, does not mean its useless.

Don't you think GF would have given us answers on this by now? Its been five generations already.

Which helps your argument how? Neither is more plausible with no explanation given.

Dumekkra

A Pokemon Warlord
Polly wanna cracker!? Reeaaarrrwwwrrrrrr!!! :)<

Hancade

Abomination
Rampardos the master of the ancients!!!

images (3).jpgRampardos has great speed and strength as well as he can learn many strong moves most rock types could not learn, i almost cried when i lost my diamond for him and him only( as well as my lucky pikachu) but in all now that i have another i expect him to rise to the ocassion, as did my original.

Dr. Leggs

Astral Cowboy
I'm a huge fan of most Fossil Pokemon. Omanyte/Omastar will always have a special place in my heart, and have been some of my favorite Pokemon since RBY. I also love Aerodactyl, Lileep/Cradily, Relicanth (if it counts) and Cranidos/Rampardos. Never actually used Archen/Tirtouga but they both seem pretty fun to use.

Schade

Metallic Wonder
I would love to see Fossil Bert and Ernie Pokemon. They're old, right?
Is Relicanth concidered a Fossil Pokemon?

Poliwhirl'sMittens

Lorelei's Apprentice
What is the process of reviving a fossilized pokemon? How do they reconstruct the full pokemon from just a shell or claw?

I personally think that the majority of these prehistoric pokemon were originally rock pokemon like Aerodactyl who wasn't even revived from a rock/fossil.

However, I also believe that Lileep and Anorith were originally water/grass and water/bug because of what they are based on and their lifestyle.

Schade

Metallic Wonder
Well, it is GameFreak magic!
Nah, I don't think so. Omastar could've been just water, and Kabutops may have been... something else. But I see your point
Just imagine them with squishy skin instead of rocks

Schade

Metallic Wonder
It is great after 2 or more Rock Polish though..
Or in a Trick Room Team.
Or with some Scarf

auteur

Fossil freak
I'm a huge fan of most Fossil Pokemon. Omanyte/Omastar will always have a special place in my heart, and have been some of my favorite Pokemon since RBY.
Cheers for that. I recall wanting a Kabutops in my first Blue run but somehow I mistakenly took the Helix Fossil. I was disappointed at first, but I learned to love the Omanyte family. :D

Is Relicanth concidered a Fossil Pokemon?
Well, it's a kind of living fossil, but I guess that it would be more accurate to describe it just as an ancient or prehistoric Pokémon, since it wasn't revived from a fossil (even though it was once thought to be extinct, according to Emerald Pokédex).

What is the process of reviving a fossilized pokemon? How do they reconstruct the full pokemon from just a shell or claw?
According to some of Aerodactyl's Pokédex entries, it was revived from the DNA that was inside the Old Amber. My knowledge in DNA is almost null, but I guess one can assume that the remainings (the ones trapped in amber and the ones fossilized in rocks) contain the full genetic information, and thus, with some futuristic technology they can revive the full organism. This may be reaffirmed by Omanyte's Red/Blue entries: "Although long extinct, in rare cases, it can be genetically resurrected from fossils." I guess the rare cases mean when the genetic code can fully be recovered and isn't damaged or has missing segments.

According to some of Aerodactyl's Pokédex entries, it was revived from the DNA that was inside the Old Amber. My knowledge in DNA is almost null, but I guess one can assume that the remains (the ones trapped in amber and the ones fossilized in rocks) contain the full genetic information, and thus, with some futuristic technology they can revive the full organism. This may be reaffirmed by Omanyte's Red/Blue entries: "Although long extinct, in rare cases, it can be genetically resurrected from fossils." I guess the rare cases mean when the genetic code can fully be recovered and isn't damaged or has missing segments.

The old pokedex entries in red/blue/green kind of remind me of the Jurassic Park movie. Which resurrected dinosaurs from the genetic materials found in pieces of amber etc... If I remember the movie also said that some of the pieces of DNA came from other animals as well like lizards or birds.

Anyways, my favorite fossil Pokémon are Tirtouga and Aerodactyl.

Mitja

Veteran smartass
I personally think that the majority of these prehistoric pokemon were originally rock pokemon like Aerodactyl who wasn't even revived from a rock/fossil.

Right! Aerodactyl wasnt even directly exposed to "rock layers" to have an effect on its DNA that would turn it into a Rock type.

Cradily doesnt even strike me that much as a Grass pokemon.. I mean sure it vaguely resembles plants.. but it looks like rubber or something. Something tough and mineral-rich..

I cant see it not being Rock type x_x

Star Champion AJ

My favourite fossil is Tirtouga/Carracosta because they are turtles (I like turtles btw)
Cranidos/Rampardos gets a close second because of their MASSIVE Attack stat.

Poliwhirl'sMittens

Lorelei's Apprentice
Cradily doesnt even strike me that much as a Grass pokemon.. I mean sure it vaguely resembles plants.. but it looks like rubber or something. Something tough and mineral-rich..

I cant see it not being Rock type x_x

Lileep is an ancient Pokémon that was regenerated from a fossil. It remains permanently anchored to a rock. From its immobile perch, this Pokémon intently scans for prey with its two eyes.

Does this mean it just attaches to a rock and holds on forever? Or does it mean that the bottom part of its body used to be a rock that it attached itself to but due to fossilization and reviving, it became apart of it?

Either way, I can't believe the third option because I think Lileep and and Anorith were originally dual water pokemon instead of rock but being a rock type may facilitate the preservation of a pokemon in fossil form.

Last edited: