• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Fourth Round Rumble! (079)

Splitzman

Bad to the Horn
After watching this episode recently, I must saw that it was actually pretty good. Seeing Gary lose before the fourth round was a shocker, considering how Gary sometimes taunted Ash. Jeanette with her cheering squad was diffetent than Mandy. Bulbasaur owned the first two and put up quite the effort. That Bellsprout however, that was an exhibition of hilarity and domination. Muk appearing and just absorbing blows also had me laughing quite loudly.
9/10 because Gary lost ( wanted Ash v. Gary in the top 16, but whatever).

Vipsoccermaster

This episode was alright, sad to see Gary lose, but Ash prevailed than Ash did. Bellsprout was a strong Pokemon that time...but was no match against Muk.

Tadashi

kiss my greens
Ow, the look on Gary's face after he lost... brutal.

I didn't like Ash's opponent, she was so arrogant. Especially that stupid Bellsprout. I was seriously like WTF when it beat Bulbasaur.

Pikachu battling fisticuffs was pretty sweet. Double Team is such a cool move in the animé.

Muk is awesome. The end.

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
Great battle...

Bellsprout was strong, but Muk was smart when it smash Bellsprout in the ground.

7/10

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Oh my goodness, Gary actually lost? Why did they make him lose, so that Ash could fight Richie later instead of him? :O

Great battle. Loved it, Janet's enterance was beautiful. Watched it in English and Japanese and the music is different in that scene.

Her team was pretty average, but Bellsprout was above average in skill, kinda scary. 10/10

JohnLee

Oh my goodness, Gary actually lost? Why did they make him lose, so that Ash could fight Richie later instead of him? :O

Great battle. Loved it, Janet's enterance was beautiful. Watched it in English and Japanese and the music is different in that scene.

Her team was pretty average, but Bellsprout was above average in skill, kinda scary. 10/10

That bellsprout was freakin' scary! Glad that Muk came to rescue! Hopefully we'll get to see Muk in some future episodes :)

KGB13

Man of Mystery
I couldn't believe Gary had lost so soon, especially with all the bragging he did. That Bellsprout was a powerhouse! I thought it was awesome how it took out Bulbasaur and Pikachu with little effort, but Muk was too much for it. Great episode and very entertaining battle.

saar

Shiny Flygon
I think this battle was the best in the Kanto league. Yes, more than battles against Ritchie and Mandy, who were short ones.
I actually can't understand why and how Bellsprout isn't affected by Pikachu's Electric attack. It is not a Ground type, so it doesn't really make sense. However, Ash did it, and thats the important thing.

Hikari Paradise

Forever Alone
Holy crap! That bellsprout was hax. At least it got mukked.

G50

No longer posting
I really liked this episode. It was great that Ash ends up winning and going further than his rival Gary. That Bellsprout was strong! It was great seeing Ash finally take it down with his Muk landing on top of it.

70/100

Aquarelle

Staff member
I was happy that Gary lost and Ash won his battle and moved on to the next round. I felt that Gary deserved to lose after calling Ash a loser so many times and arrogantly bragging about how much better he was than Ash.
I seriously thought that the Bellsprout in this episode was on steroids or something. I had always imagined Bellsprout as being really weak, since it looks like a wimp. It was really surprising to see it beat up Bulbasaur and Pikachu. I liked it when Muk came in a finally beat it, though. It was nice to finally see Muk fight for once. ^_^
My favourite part of this episode was when Officer Jenny called Growlithe Arcanine. xD

Vernikova

Champion
I think this battle was the best in the Kanto league. Yes, more than battles against Ritchie and Mandy, who were short ones.

I agree. This was the highlight of the Kanto League for me. The ideas Ash used in the battle actually made some sense to me and it was really good to see him win a battle without Misty and Brock coaching them. Bellsprout was pretty bad *** in this episode taking out both Bulbasaur and Pikachu with its dodging abilities. Janette in this episode alone was the most interesting non-Gym Leader/Gary that Ash faced in Kanto in my opinion. It helps that I liked her design too.

It was a pity for me that Gary lost, he is one of my favourite characters. Also, I would have loved seeing Gary and Ash have a battle in the Indigo League / Kanto League. Also funny to see how Bulbasaur beats a strong Scyther, and then loses to Bellsprout. And when Brock cheers for Jeanette, I loved Misty's response to that.

Calamity™

aka Lamia
It's Bellsprout!
haha Gary losing, it was actually great to see that.

I absolutely loved Jeanette and her Erika-like appearance. Ash vs Jeanette was by far the best Kanto battle in my opinion. It was nice to see someone else utilize an unevolved Pokémon so well. That Bellsprout was quite amazing. I don't see why Ash would assume Jeanette would be easy because she was using a Bellsprout... most of his Pokémon aren't evolved.

Blessed

Loved this episode, shame that Gary lost though. Poor Pikachu couldn't do anything to stop that Bellsprout, luckily Muk came through in the end. It was the only one in Ash's team who could defeat it tbh.

Last edited:

Arceusgamer14

I feel more sorry for Gary's Cheerleaders than Gary himself.
Oh yes, that BELLSPROUT WAS A TROLL at least it got it's Butt Mukked! (My Lame Pun on Muk)

UnbelievableUrsula

Cute and Creepy!
I'm glad Brock and Misty were in the bleachers and not yelling their mouths off in this episode. I liked it whenever Ash does well on his own.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
This episode made me hate Bellsprout when I was young. I swear it was cheating, though I guess since the anime =/= games, the interpretation of a Bellsprout would be different. Still, it was rather... odd. Jeanette didn't seem to give out attack orders, she just allowed her Bellsprout to do whatever it wanted.

I was a bit disappointed that we wouldn't see a battle between Ash and Gary in the Indigo League, which is what I'm sure many of us was waiting for. Stupid Ritchie.

So yeah, it's not that bad an episode, since it was an interesting battle.

7threst

While I admit that when I saw this episode for the first time, I was shocked to realize Gary lost in the 4th round. Especially with the tough/professional image he build up leading to this event, you would expect that someone like him could easily get very far in the league. Like he was some sort of Tobias of Kanto imo. Ash had probably his best battle hear and I can't deny his creativity in using out of nothing, his Muk. Masterful written.