• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Fraternities and Sororities Discussion

Grei

not the color
Let's talk about fraternities and sororities. What's your opinion on these Greek groups?

Anyone else here a member of a fraternity or sorority on their college/university campus? I'm a member of a national Greek fraternity of music, ΦMA Sinfonia.

As an initial note, for anyone who has never experienced a fraternity or sorority: know that the media exaggerates everything. On some aspects, the way fraternities and sororities are portrayed in movies and TV shows is accurate, but in many others it is overblown. Take it with a grain of salt.

ebevan91

If I join a frat do my chances of getting laid go up?

Viveshade

What's Next?
I'm not in a fraternity, but I have friends who are. I think the media has definitely skewed my view of them, which is why I'm too intimidated to join one, even if people do say they aren't so bad. If I were to join one, I'd join the literature fraternity at my school. It does sound interesting.

Grei

not the color
If I join a frat do my chances of getting laid go up?

Well, some like to say that, by joining a fraternity, you are "paying for friends." This is a poor way of putting what actually does tend to happen--by joining a Greek group, you end up meeting a ton of people, both within and outside of your particular group.

So, yes.

I'm not in a fraternity, but I have friends who are. I think the media has definitely skewed my view of them, which is why I'm too intimidated to join one, even if people do say they aren't so bad. If I were to join one, I'd join the literature fraternity at my school. It does sound interesting.

You can't let the media skew your view. You should talk to your friends about what kinds of experiences they had while pledging, because it's rarely ever as bad as the horror stories would tell you.

At my school, by talking to friends, I got an idea of what fraternity I would join (if I wasn't already dedicated to my current one) based on what they had to tell me. Pledging can be stressful, but some fraternities "require" (read: nothing is required, or else it's hazing by law) things that are illegal, which are the kinds you should avoid.

Queequeg

My school is about 30% greek. I was never interested in greek life because I always thought those types of cliques are just silly and I find many of the sorority girls in my school to be very annoying and boring as opposed to non-sorority girls. Some fraternities on my campus have a "hell week" and the hazing can get really weird and out of control, but for some people fraternities/sororities help them get more involved and work wonders for them, just not for me and my principles. Then again I also really don't have time to get involved in greek life as a pre-med/engineer.

Last edited:

Zenotwapal

have a drink on me
I was thinking of rushing this last semester (first semester at my University, college freshman) and decided to wait for the next semester. I'm quite turned off by the frat life as the fraternities here at my university all party and I'm not too big into that. Not all of them are about that but there's only a few here that aren't throwing parties every weekend.
Being a nursing student though I am only here at my university for 2 years then I transfer into a nursing school in the state so kinda pointless for me to join a fraternity lol.

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
Where I go to school there are tons of sororities and fraternities around. My first semester I figured I'd be too busy to partake in the activities so I didn't join, not knowing much else about them. I have a few friends in one of the Christian Sororities on campus, but not that I know of in the other ones. Investigating more...I saw the price tag--Yikes! That's a good sum of money for someone who's already paying to go to school! I probably won't join one in the future, but hey, that's life.

Peter Quill

star-lord
Greek life isn't nearly a big thing up in Canada as it is in the states. That being said, my roomie is in a fraternity and he really enjoys it. It's a non-alcoholic frat and it's just a bunch of guys... being friends and having their own community. It's sort of cool; he really seems to enjoy his time with his frat brothers and I've met a bunch of his friends who are in the frat as well. A good group of guys. I don't think I could do the frat life myself, only because that's a lot of people you have to devote time to, and I'm not really down with that sort of thing. Just isn't for me. I think that fraternity/sorority life is really good and helpful for some people though, so power to them.

SerenaForTheWin

Yusarin >_<
the only person who are joining the fraternities from what i know are those who are interested in gambling , excessive drinking, there;s also a chance that they may engaged in mature-rated activities like sex as for sorority i had know idea since i had not yet discovered one to myself.

ellie

Δ
Staff member
Admin
i was in a sorority until we got our charter revoked (not enough recruitment, bad support from exec, blah blah blah stupid drama) and most of my best friends from college are my sisters. i also have friends in other houses and a lot of friends in fraternities.

most of what the media portrays them as is super inaccurate and it's really hard to understand it if you're not in one. i think they get a lot more flak than they deserve by people who don't know anything about greek life.

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
i was in a sorority until we got our charter revoked (not enough recruitment, bad support from exec, blah blah blah stupid drama) and most of my best friends from college are my sisters. i also have friends in other houses and a lot of friends in fraternities.

most of what the media portrays them as is super inaccurate and it's really hard to understand it if you're not in one. i think they get a lot more flak than they deserve by people who don't know anything about greek life.

That's because most college movies that aren't serious dramas portray it wrong, and even then it's not usually great. There's plenty of comedy movies where the college students literally do no college activities except for the magical final at the end of the movie they have to pass.

ellie

Δ
Staff member
Admin
haha that is definitely true too. i just think it's unfortunate because that's a lot of people's only real exposure to greek life and it's generally pretty negative

Jb

Tsun in the streets
I don't much about Frats except what the media shows. I still try to have an unbiased view on them though. tbh I no interest in making other people my "brothers" or whatever and it doesn't seem like they do anything that a regular group of friends could do

i see it as something people do because other people are doing it, im sure that there are people who do join for other honest reasons though

Prelude

Prelude
the only person who are joining the fraternities from what i know are those who are interested in gambling , excessive drinking, there;s also a chance that they may engaged in mature-rated activities like sex as for sorority i had know idea since i had not yet discovered one to myself.
this is clearly the best post in this entire thread

i'm not sure why i joined one but i'm pretty sure i made the right choice in deciding to do it.

Grei

not the color

Hey, hey, I have no interest in gambling.

Totally. Before I learned more about greek life, I had only the media's notion and I just assumed that was true.

kochoupink

butts lol
I still love my ~*Sisters*~
No but actually. I actually do. So much love. A girl from two pledge classes above me recognized me a couple weeks ago while we were standing at a crosswalk waiting for the light to change. I hadn't seen her in at least three years, and it was the least alone I had felt all week.

ellie

Δ
Staff member
Admin
yep. i love running into my sisters who i didn't know too well at random places like that

MosuGoji

RIP Jared

Holy **** just ****ing what

Zazie

So 1991
I generally try not to generalize anyone. But I have to say some of the sororities on my campus really did their best to leave a bad impression. For 2 years I lived in between two sorority dorm floors. And quite often you would have people running up to the door and banging on it and at least once a semester someone on one of the sorority floors would set off the smoke alarm and make us all get outside and wait for the firetruck to arrive. Of course that's only mildly annoying, the bigger issue is when sororities no longer had exclusive housing. I had 2 different friends who wound up on dorm floors sororities tried to regroup on. They were treated rather rudely.

I doubt they are representative of even all the sororities on campus however, and what little experience I had with fraternities involved events they did for women's rights. I really shouldn't judge a whole swath of people by the bad behaviour of a few. (Ellie and Kochoupink are in sororities and they don't seem bad at all.)

My school also seems to have all sorts of greek organizaitions, including gender nuetral social work ones and film studies ones. They definitely aren't all like the stereotypical image in the movies in TV.

Never cared to join one myself, but the whole habitat for humanity thing they do at my school looks pretty cool. They build and decorate huts outside on campus and get to sleep in them. Looks like fun.

Last edited:

Pinsirius

Sentimental Fool ;)
Fraternity Senior here. It's an experience, and a great one if it goes well for you. At the same time, I don't know if I would have enjoyed it as much had my house not turned out the way it did- but part of that's just life!

In my case, I came in on a house that was in a transition; it had been a more active party with an upperclassman drug problem (meaning it "graduated" out pretty cleanly and that was that), had a violent course correction under a divisive president from my freshly initiated class, and and spent a couple years flailing. Fortunes turned around this year, 12 man pledge class. Right now we're effectively the house without a stereotype (multiple independents words, not mine! It's a compliment!); we've got nerds, a few athletes, and social competence from one end of the board to the other. That we haven't attracted solely nerds (by being a house friendly to nerds in the first place) pretty much legitimizes that. It forces you to learn to understand people you'd otherwise avoid or barely notice, which only good given that that's one of the things you're supposed to be begin to learn in college to start with.

Fraternities do do stupid things, all the time; college men living in the college bubble doing things they can do in the college bubble with fewer consequences. The entire idea of the fraternity is silly, really, a bunch of (hopefully) more disciplined college men from 50 to 150 years ago trying to tell future (presumably much less disciplined) college men to be the men they haven't quite grown up to become just yet. But they're also diverse; at my younger brother's college, my fraternity's resident chapter is the football house, and thus he has to explain when any of his friends who know anything about me hear I'm in that fraternity elsewhere.

Also relevant to note that after X and Y's release Pokemon swept the house; I think we had 8 3DS players, and a couple more playing older generations.

Last edited: