• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Free Resources for Webmasters

Phatkav

Waiting for FFXIII
Thanks for the links.

For the first two websites, I just checked them very fast, but it looks like they only do PHP. So can I actually just make the website with html and css?

Also for all of these websites is my domain name going to be like name.website's name.com/net/us?

Crepuscular

Surmounting~
The only server-side scripting language they do is PHP (some might do SSI, I'm not sure, though). However, HTML, CSS and JavaScript are all client-side, so all hosts "support" them. So to answer your question, yes.

I'm pretty sure for all of them it's yourname.hostdomain.com/net/us, but I could be wrong.

Last edited:

Phatkav

Waiting for FFXIII
For the last two websites when you say you can only upload on a certain period of time, how long it that period of time? I just want to know because usually I won't be uploading files daily.

I'm checking these websites more now. I may go with Cybertoad because they give 2GB storage and I think it's enough for me because it will take my website a long time to fill this space.

In your opinion whihc one do you recommand?

Crepuscular

Surmounting~
For Byethost, it's one week. For Cybertoad, it's 30 days. You can still upload after that period, you just need a functional website that is open to the public by that time.

Personally I like PHPNet the best because it supports .htaccess (also supported by Byethost, but I don't like the 7-day rule as I don't have PHP locally installed) and has the highest transfer rate. However, if I wanted a website that was going to use lots and lots of space, I'd go with Cybertoad.

Last edited:

Phatkav

Waiting for FFXIII
Just one more question about hosting. Since I have been looking through the links Crepuscular gave me, I found tha t all of them use FTP or whatever it's called. I'm wondering is anyone of them uses a text editor I can use. If you don't know what I mean, I mean something like Freewebs when you switch to HTML mode. They have an easy page-editing tools. That's what I want when I want to edit my files/pages using HTML, I don't want to use FTP.

I'm just wondering if there is any web hosting service that offer this. With of course having no ads, large amount of space and with unlimited file uploading and files size.

Thanks.

Crepuscular

Surmounting~
Just one more question about hosting. Since I have been looking through the links Crepuscular gave me, I found tha t all of them use FTP or whatever it's called. I'm wondering is anyone of them uses a text editor I can use. If you don't know what I mean, I mean something like Freewebs when you switch to HTML mode. They have an easy page-editing tools. That's what I want when I want to edit my files/pages using HTML, I don't want to use FTP.

I'm just wondering if there is any web hosting service that offer this. With of course having no ads, large amount of space and with unlimited file uploading and files size.

Thanks.
FTP and text-editors are two different things. Text-editor usage is site making, while FTP is site publishing (uploading). Use Notepad/vi/whatever to make a page, and use an FTP client like SmartFTP to then upload it (or directly create it from the FTP client). Using SmartFTP, you can also edit files like that. It may take some getting used to, but it's better than doing it over an HTTP connection.

Last edited:

Magma Leader Maxie

Non caedor caedo
Personally I like PHPNet the best because it supports .htaccess (also supported by Byethost, but I don't like the 7-day rule as I don't have PHP locally installed) and has the highest transfer rate. However, if I wanted a website that was going to use lots and lots of space, I'd go with Cybertoad.

Byethost's "7-day upload rule" is because some nasty hackers (from Brazil, I think) and other users mass-registered accounts, which were unused. Therefore, they introduced this rule so that proper users could get good accounts with decent names (yourchosenname.byethost.com). Basically, within seven days of registration you can upload an index.html file saying "Site will be online soon, please be patient" and then take as long as you like to get everything ready for your actual site opening. It's hardly a problem.

Other good hosting sites (some better than phpnet.us?) are:
http://kwikphp.com
http://my-place.us
http://ifastnet.com
http://4sql.net
http://swiftphp.com

P.S. I used to use smartftp, it's absolute crap despite the "in-built text-editing" feature (which is not useful anyway, I'd rather edit with anything else). Try Filezilla instead.

Last edited:

Crepuscular

Surmounting~
Magma Leader Naxie said:
Byethost's "7-day upload rule" is because some nasty hackers (from Brazil, I think) and other users mass-registered accounts, which were unused. Therefore, they introduced this rule so that proper users could get good accounts with decent names (yourchosenname.byethost.com). Basically, within seven days of registration you can upload an index.html file saying "Site will be online soon, please be patient" and then take as long as you like to get everything ready for your actual site opening. It's hardly a problem.
That was a misunderstanding on my part and seems quite reasonable, then.

"kvikphp.com" doesn't seem to work. Is that a typo, or is the site down?

nintenkid0503

A pokemon Breeder
There is so many to pick from what is the best one??? Someone help me.

Crepuscular

Surmounting~
It depends on what you're looking for. Do you care about ads? How much space and bandwidth do you need? Do you require email to go with it? Do you like PHP or ASP better, or do you require neither? Do you need FTP? Do you need SQL, and if so, how many databases do you want?

russia213

Master Swampert Man
I would like to add http://110mb.com to the free hosts list it is the best free web host ihave ever come across i use it myself heres a quote from thier features page.
110MB is powered by Quad Intel Xeon Servers operating in a cluster-based environment. In plain english: lots of servers connected together rather then 1 server which hosts all the members as is true for 99% of free hosts, since they can't afford extra servers. Meaning that if one 110MB server goes down temporarily, your site will be entirely unaffected -- ensuring maximum data protection and uptime for your site.
- 24/7 helpdesk & forum for instant answers - 98.11/99.53/99.13% Uptime (Jan/Feb/March data.)
- 24/7 server monitoring to recover "trouble" - Own server held company
- Using Debian Linux OS running on Apache 2.0 - No traces of forced ads anywhere. Clean page.

Features
- 2 GB (2000 MB) web space - 100 GB (100,000 MB) monthly transfer
- 10 MB max file size upload limit (See file hosting directory to store bigger files or if storing files only.) - FTP Access (CHMOD Allowed)
- MySQL Database (v5.0) - GD Lib support
- PHP v5.1.4 - Mod_Rewrite Enabled
- Shockwave & Flash - Run Zend encoded scripts (Zend Optimizer)
- XML support - CURL enabled
- SSI support ** - Online File Manager (Unzip compressed files from the server!)
- ImageMagick support - 110DBManager (better then phpMyAdmin)
- Zlib Enabled - Run IonCube encoded PHP scripts
- Total CGI and Perl scripts support (.cgi, .pl) * ** - ASP pages support (.asp) **
- Python support (TorrentFlux not allowed!) ** - IceCast support **
- FrontPage Extensions ** - Curl **
- DOM XML support ** - Sendmail *
- Safe Mode OFF * - Push-Button Application Installer (supports 20+ CMS/forum scripts) HOT!

* means that those features are only available for members that provide proof of ID.
** means it's definitely planned to be activated between June-Aug 07

and all of this with no ads

Last edited:

pokemonelite4leader

webmst and spriter
I would like to add http://110mb.com to the free hosts list it is the best free web host ihave ever come across i use it myself heres a quote from thier features page.

and all of this with no ads
and is it easy to use do you need suffishent (spelt wrong yay) knowledge of html or is there an easy site builder