• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Freezing in the Icy Pits of Hail.

Pokewiz7o8

I know. I'm hot.
Hail Team.
Preview;
460.png
th_walrein.png
473-m.png
131.png
091.png
478.png

Abomasnow (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Snow Warning
EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 SDef
Calm nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Wood Hammer
- Blizzard

Well, obviously, this is my lead. It sets up my Hail with Snow Warning. Not the best lead, in my opinion, but it sets up for the rest of my team. I usually Sub on the first turn, as many leads will either switch or set up SR. From there, I set up LS if I want it to switch, or attack with the move that would work best. I try to switch it out once the sub fades, because I might need to reactivate the hail later on. Also, it serves decently well as a SpD. wall, so if I need to preserve a sweeper like Luke, I switch this in and let it take the hit. Also, if Luke needs to switch moves and would die if it didn't, I switch this in and let it go down, maybe saving a sweep.
---

Walrein (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Ice Body
EVs: 220 HP/252 Def/36 SDef
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Protect
- Substitute
- Surf
- Toxic

The God of Stalling. If he can successfully get a Sub up, he literally has 32 turns of free life (that is, if Hail is still up.) Toxic effectively gives it a way to stall out other walls like Blissey, and its Surf is still quite powerful. This is my main wall and staller, and works amazingly.
---

Mamoswine (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Snow Cloak
EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Ice Shard
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock

My main physical sweeper. Life Orb for power. I chose this over CB for diversity, and the fact that he is my SR'er. If I switch in on something like a Dragon, there is no chance it will stay in, as it has priority Ice Shard. So, I SR on the switch, the proceed to sweep from there. Shard is for STAB Ice and priority, and is extremely lethal. Earthquake is extremely powerful with this set, providing great coverage too. Stone Edge is for those pesky Gyarados' that trouble my team.

---

Lapras (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 32 HP/252 Atk/224 SDef
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Substitute
- Return

My bulky physical sweeper. Switch in on an unsuspecting weakling, and as it switches set up a sub. Then, start to DD. Once the sub breaks, I either set up another one or attack. This one is pretty simple.
---

Cloyster (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 SDef
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Toxic Spikes
- Surf
- Rapid Spin
- Explosion

My defensive beast of a wall. Boasting 436 Def, it can take almost any physical hit. It sets up Toxic Spikes, which with two sets, can cripple any wall, barring that it's Steel, Flying, has Levitate, or Poison. Also, this is my spinner, which takes away the deadly Stealth Rocks that hurt all of my team badly. Explosion is for when it's done setting up, their SR'er is gone, and I just want to go out with a bang..literally.
---

Froslass (F) @ Brightpowder
Ability: Snow Cloak
EVs: 248 HP/228 Def/32 Spd
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Thunder Wave
- Ice Beam
- Confuse Ray

This is my haxxer. Switch in, Thunder Wave for the parahax, or Sub if they switch. Then, whichever I didn't do the first turn, I do the second. After that, Confuse Ray. Ice Beam for STAB coverage.

---

123fakestreet

Metalopolis King
Ok first thing. A hail team tops 2 ice types. I don't care if I get hit by hail if I actually have some resistances.

You need fire steel rock fighting resistances. You also need a bulky ghost type to provide more resistances. Because you are running stallrein you should have toxic spikes I suggest tentacruel for this job :)

Pokewiz7o8

I know. I'm hot.
I do have them. :eek:

123fakestreet

Metalopolis King
I do have them. :eek:

Notice the plural. Scizor will romp through your team as will zapdos, lucario, Infernape, Metagross, heatran and lots of other stuff including ttar. Bottom line, get rid of 4 of your ice types. So what if you take hail damage you will be able to resist attacks.

EDIT: When I spoke about ghosts and TS I was referring to after you de iced your team. Then there would be snow and one other ice type, guessing wallrein :)

Last edited:

garchompmaster29

Xatu>Espeon
what fakestreet says is true, (although i would venture as far as to say that 3 ice types is tops.) Your team needs a tentacruel to lay down tspikes, and spin away stealth rocks that will rip your team to shreds. next, a steel type that is neutral to fighitng. Well, there are two real option here. You can go with skarmory for physical wall and to lay down spikes which helps you stall, or you can go with metagross who can hit hard with meteor mash and trap and kill counters with pursuit.

Pokewiz7o8

I know. I'm hot.
Thank you guys for the input. What do you suggest? I put on a Tenta > Cloyster and Bulky Metagross > Lapras.

Darkerones

SlowpokeHunter
replace frosslass with dusknoir. also why spD EVs on abomasnow? he WILL get blown apart by pretty much any fire move anyway,i suggest dumping some of those evs into speed and maybe some more attack. the cloyster is great but explosion is dead weight on it with that nature. put stealth rock on it instead. you might also want to consider using calm nature on it as well nobody will bother hitting it physically anyway. Mamoswine is a poor sweeper,period,ice shard is nice but thats about it,Scizor puts a stop to this thing very quickly. Get a heatran. also i notice that abomasnow is your only source of hail,why? put hail on some of your other pokemon too (like walrein) in case abomasnow gets decked by MixTar and you need more hail! hail teams arent the easiest to build i know,but this team needs some work.

Last edited:

garchompmaster29

Xatu>Espeon
No, do NOT put hail on your other pokemon. Abamasnow's hail is infinite. There is no need to give your other pokes hail that will only last for 5 turns. Ignore that part of Darkerones post. However, the rest of his retrogradations are solid.

Remember to keep abamasnow alive because Darkerones is right, ttar will kill you if you don't.

midend

^Agreed

I thought of another poke that might be able to break through your defenses: this or a similar set might be able to sweep your team badly before being taken out.

Machamp @ [Expert Belt]/Quick Claw/Toxic Orb
Jolly Nature
No Guard/Guts
Cross Chop
Fire Punch
Thunder Punch
Stone Edge

-Completely destroys Abomasnow with Fire Punch (4x)

-For your 3 heavy defenses, Unless a Protect or Substitute is thrown up, they will most likely be destroyed by 2 EB-ed Cross Chops. Most likely your Stallreins' and Lapras' subs won't survive one attack.

-Your Cloyster stands a higher chance of taking this Machamp out though as it outspeeds it.

-Frostlass is no exception, being blasted apart by firepunch...

On the overall your team is very heavy on defenses, but lacks the speed to make up for it. Most of your pokes(in fact except cloyster) would most likely be crippled by a status effect like paralyze before they know it.

Lastly, ann ice team is okay, but when one sends out a poke that uses sunny day after your lead is taken out you might be done for already....

midend

^Agreed

I thought of another poke that might be able to break through your defenses: this or a similar set might be able to sweep your team badly before being taken out.

Machamp @ [Expert Belt]/Quick Claw/Toxic Orb
Jolly Nature - 252ATK/252SPD/4HP?
No Guard/Guts
Cross Chop
Fire Punch
Thunder Punch
Stone Edge

-Completely destroys Abomasnow with Fire Punch (4x)

-For your 3 heavy defenses, Unless a Protect or Substitute is thrown up, they will most likely be destroyed by 2 EB-ed Cross Chops. Most likely your Stallreins' and Lapras' subs won't survive one attack.

-Your Cloyster stands a higher chance of taking this Machamp out though as it outspeeds it.

-Frostlass is no exception, being blasted apart by firepunch...

On the overall your team is very heavy on defenses, but lacks the speed to make up for it. Most of your pokes(in fact except cloyster) would most likely be crippled by a status effect like paralyze before they know it.

Lastly, ann ice team is okay, but when one sends out a poke that uses sunny day after your lead is taken out you might be done for already....

EDIT: EVs thrown in.