• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Friend or Foe Alike! (081)

AdrenalinDragon

Ah! I remember seeing this episode the first time when it was new. I think its quite shocking that Ash actually loses, but then again, I felt it was unfair that Team Rocket screwed him over as usual (Can't they give this guy a break for once?). I did find the part with Charizard disobeying Ash rather funny in this one, but seriously, Ash should have beaten Richie in this battle. If only he didn't use Squirtle so early, but nevertheless a superb episode and I'll give it a 9.5 out of 10. I loved the part where Misty came up into the stadium and almost got into a fight with Richie. XD

G50

No longer posting
I really didn't like this episode. Ash was at such a serious disadvantage after TR screwed him over! Charizard just had to make things worse for the battle and Ash ended up losing to his new friend. It's not often I don't like an important battle episode.

0.5/100

Aquarelle

Staff member
I think this was one of the only times where I was mad that Ash lost a battle. O__o
I wanted him to win this one, seeing as I didn't care for Ritchie that much.

Charizard really screwed Ash over by deciding to go to sleep on the battle field. I was hoping that Charizard would realize that this was a very important match and decide to obey Ash for once. I was really disappointed when it didn't. ;___;

If Team Rocket hadn't kidnapped Ash like that, then Pidgeotto would have been able to battle and then maybe he would have won. >__>
But I must say, that Ritchie puppet doll Team Rocket used to trick Ash was funny. :p

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
Man, Misty is a real jerk sometimes and the Charizard thing couldn't have come up in the worst of times. It would have been better if Team Rocket made him miss the match then to see him lose like that. Damn! The writers were so not on Ash's side in Kanto.

Last edited:

Vernikova

Champion
Worst episode in the anime. Bar none. Even today as an adult I still wonder why they let Ash lose a battle like this. This episode is probably the reason as to why I dislike Ritchie so much. He seems like a perfect version of Ash. I'd would rather have seen a Tobias-esque beat down to this thing.

I don't like Ash, but I still think he didn't deserve to lose. He was unable to use Pidgeotto (who was tired because of flying Ash to the stadium), Pikachu and Squirtle were tired from battling Team Rocket and Charizard didn't listen. Also, the rule of counting Charizard as defeated when it refused to battle was stupid. I'm sure Charizard would have gotten angry and roasted that Sparky with Flamethrower if Sparky would have attacked Charizard.

The Ritchie puppet / voice was awesome and hilarious!

It was great of Ritchie to ask the referee to wait for Ash, and that he wanted a battle, not an automatic win because Ash didn't show up.

Calamity™

aka Lamia
It's Aerodactyl!
I love how Jessie imitated Richie so well, and it was surprising to see how Ash used his brain in trying to get out of that van. It was funny to see how persistent Team Rocket were in this episode, they just wouldn't let Ash go. lol
It was nice to see Richie being a good sport and asking for them to wait for Ash. Although Ash's Pokémon were tired from the previous events, I think Richie was still more deserving to win, so I'm glad he did. It's about time Ash didn't win everything! Besides if Ash was at this level and his Charizard still wouldn't obey him, he didn't deserve to win at all. If I was Ash I would have just released Charizard after that. I quite liked this episode. :)

Blessed

Misty getting pissed at Ritchie for falling for the fake Ritchie voice that Jessie set up was funny. Ash suffered a lot in this episode because of TR. Pidgeotto was a hero for flying Ash to the stadium. I really wanted to see a good battle between him & Ritchie, he didn't deserve to lose. It's all TR's fault! Too bad they never fought again.

Last edited:

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
I wonder what have happened if Richie hadn't told the referree to hold on the damn match. It's amazing on how much faith he had that he would show up even though they just met a few episodes ago. And Team Rocket are nothing but fools.

G50

No longer posting
I think Pidgeotto would've helped Ash greatly against Charmander and Butterfree, and then Pikachu could've tied with Sparky if Ash didn't have to deal with TR, oh well.

TR's Ritchie puppet and fake voice was very amusing to see.

7threst

I bet that if Ash had taken more time to train all of his Pokémon, Ritchie wouldn't stand a chance against Ash. But perhaps this is a good thing - considering the fact Ash learns a lot from this defeat and drastically changes from his ego-form to something a little more matured.

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...
I've always thought Ash loosing was one of the few artistic things the writers did in the first season. We knew he was going to win; he always won. Then he lost. Re-watching the show, I realized the writers did a bit of for shadowing in the episodes before Ash went to the league. Every episode mentioned that Ash's should be training, but he wasn't.

Lucille

Ash could of used Kingler, Muk, Tauros, Bulbasaur, Squirtle and Pidgeotto and he chose the disobedient Charizard tsk tsk

iraqmaster

Ash could of used Kingler, Muk, Tauros, Bulbasaur, Squirtle and Pidgeotto and he chose the disobedient Charizard tsk tsk

i never understood why he never chose Tauros, Muk or Kingler to battle instead of Charizard...

moneylesswario

Gone But Not Forgotten
I agree with everyone who said Richie didn't deserve to win, Ash could have beat him if it weren't for TR, maybe even win the Kanto elague.

KJC

Joined the forum just so I could complain about this episode.

It was November 27, 1999 and I was nine years old. I had waited an entire year expecting Ash to win the Indigo League (because I was nine and didn't expect the series to be dragged out indefinitely). And his loss pissed me off possibly even more than it did Ash.

It wasn't just how he was unfairly handicapped by not having Pidgeotto. It is that I didn't think Ash really lost!

Let me first say that I actually did not think using Charizard was such a terrible idea. Taurus, Kingler, and Muk had never been used by Ash prior to the tournament and probably lacked the necessary experience to fight Ritchie's main team.

Now why did Ash lose? Because Charizard was taking a nap on the field. He wasn't going crazy, he wasn't trying to get away, he just was lying on the ground. Not because he thought he would lose, but because he knew he would win. And because of that they said he "refuses to battle".

???? Charizard actually did engage the Pikachu in battle by stomping his feet and flapping his wings. After that he lied down. One could accuse him of being careless and contemptuous but since when is that illegal? Ritchie's Pikachu should have been obligated to engage and defeat Charizard so long as it was on the field, whether it was sleeping or not.

So in my mind Ash was actually cheated by the referee. I'm glad I finally got this out of my system nearly 14 years after the fact.

Last edited:

iraqmaster

Joined the forum just so I could complain about this episode.

It was November 27, 1999 and I was nine years old. I had waited an entire year expecting Ash to win the Indigo League (because I was nine and didn't expect the series to be dragged out indefinitely). And his loss pissed me off possibly even more than it did Ash.

It wasn't just how he was unfairly handicapped by not having Pidgeotto. It is that I didn't think Ash really lost!

Let me first say that I actually did not think using Charizard was such a terrible idea. Taurus, Kingler, and Muk had never been used by Ash prior to the tournament and probably lacked the necessary experience to fight Ritchie's main team.

Now why did Ash lose? Because Charizard was taking a nap on the field. He wasn't going crazy, he wasn't trying to get away, he just was lying on the ground. Not because he thought he would lose, but because he knew he would win. And because of that they said he "refuses to battle".

???? Charizard actually did engage the Pikachu in battle by stomping his feet and flapping his wings. After that he lied down. One could accuse him of being careless and contemptuous but since when is that illegal? Ritchie's Pikachu should have been obligated to engage and defeat Charizard so long as it was on the field, whether it was sleeping or not.

So in my mind Ash was actually cheated by the referee. I'm glad I finally got this out of my system nearly 14 years after the fact.

I think it's the fact that Charizard was just lying there and not doing anything that made the referee automatically disqualify Charizard. Also we have previously seen how Charizard barely listened to ash. Remember the match against Blaine?