• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

From A to Z! (897)

Darkness Angel

Lover of Fate-Chan
I thought this eppy was a nice way to start off the season.

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
God why the heck the english dub just can't use the japanese openings like most other anime did in the past. These dubbed openings get worse every time.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
God why the heck the english dub just can't use the japanese openings like most other anime did in the past.

Because this particular dub is done on a significantly lower budget, so it's cheaper to make a (at best) half-assed substitution opening. That and they probably want to keep everything in English just to avoid confusion with the younger viewers.

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer
Because this particular dub is done on a significantly lower budget, so it's cheaper to make a (at best) half-assed substitution opening. That and they probably want to keep everything in English just to avoid confusion with the younger viewers.
I recall something too about commercials taking up too much time for the longer Japanese openings to fit in the english version (openings for tv shows in general in the west are lot shorter than they used to be because of this).

Pikachu52

With five badges already I don't think Sawyer can count as a novice anymore, even if he is still weak compared to Ash. As for Clemont, one might suppose that he wanted to go after Bonnie.

Sawyer still has yet to win an onscreen battle and his Grovlye was at a huge disadvantage against Celosia's Drapion. Of the two of them Clemont's still stronger and the more competent battler, so it would have made more sense for him to stay behind with Ash. However it certainly does make sense he'd want to go with Bonnie, although I would have thought he be more hinderance than help given he can't run very fast or for very long.

DS0308

<--- Actually me
Pleased with how the dub did this episode, the Scientists' dub voices are alright although I'm not exactly sold on Mable. I don't think they're as expressive as their Japanese counterparts but they weren't bad in my opinion. I feel like they've changed Squishy's "wolololo" in the dub, there were particular instances where I remembered it saying something different to how it appeared here, like when it jumped into Bonnie's bag, when Bonnie grabbed it the first time and also when it went Zydoge. I just thought that was unnecessary. The Who's That Pokemon section was amusing as has been mentioned already.

I found the opening to be alright but as I've said in the past I don't think it matches the scenes too well. It kind of does but... ehh... Like others have mentioned I don't get why the titlecard still has the old Serena design.

Perfect Zygarde

I did not expect them to use Squishy for Who's that Pokémon and I got kick out of it especially when Ash, Serena, and Clemont were like "Uhhhh.....".

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
Bah, was hoping they'd have Eggman's VA come back and voice Xerosic. Instead we got a voice that makes him sound like a clown.

Sawyer's appearance was completely unnecessary, same with Alain's. The episode easily could have gone without including either.

7/10

Pikachu52

Sawyer's appearance was completely unnecessary, same with Alain's. The episode easily could have gone without including either.

Overall it was an episode defined by it's events rather than it's characters. The episodes a fairly generic Evil villain introduction episode and because of it's focus on introducing Squishy and Team Flare focus on the main characters takes a back seat. This episode could have been written for ANY of the main characters with only minor script changes. Sawyer could easily have been replaced by Tierno, Trevor, Shauna or removed from the script entirely and the story line would have been exactly the same. In fact the episode could have been any of the other series and done with any other evil team. Contrast this to an episode like "A relay in the sky" which is entirely focused on Ash and Noibat's relationship and Noibat's development in which the events themselves become of secondary importance to the character. That episode is unique to those characters. It's questionable as to exactly why Sawyer was included, probably to remind viewers that he exists and to give him a role beyond being Ash's weakest rival ever. I don't necessarily see that he detracted from the episode though but as a character he gets nothing out of it. Alain was basically included as a cameo to build hype for the upcoming series and his scene was voiced over by the narrator so he could have easily been left out. His appearance doesn't add anything other than hype and to remind viewers he has a role to play in XYZ.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
I'll give this episode props for being paced well, but the main cast is still lacking in the characterization department. I don't think it's a valid reason for me to dislike this episode, but it was overall pretty good.

Perfect Zygarde

Don't forget that Sawyer is the one who told them about Terminus Cave and what he told them about it is why they decided to go there in the first place, plus he gave us a look at new badges that could possibly appear in the next game so I think his role was more important than you give credit for. Alain's appearance was more of a foreshadowing thing so yeah. I'll tell you who's appearance was pointless though, Team Rocket's. They didn't contribute anything to the plot and they were in the episode for less than a minute. This is just another example of those three being shoved into an episode for no reason.

Pikachu52

Don't forget that Sawyer is the one who told them about Terminus Cave and what he told them about it is why they decided to go there in the first place, plus he gave us a look at new badges that could possibly appear in the next game so I think his role was more important than you give credit for.

Since there's no announcement regarding any new game or whether Kalos will receive an extended map in any future games I think it may be a bit presumptuous to say Sawyer's badges represent potential new gyms. The Anime has given characters badges from non-existent gyms before. Several of Cameron's badges were unknown in BW and Gary had 10 badges when he met Ash outside the Viridian Gym in the original series despite there only being 8 official gyms in Kanto.

I'll tell you who's appearance was pointless though, Team Rocket's. They didn't contribute anything to the plot and they were in the episode for less than a minute. This is just another example of those three being shoved into an episode for no reason.

That's very true, although since they've been in nearly every episode of the series I'd say the Team Rocket Trio have become protagonists in their own right so it's not unreasonable to include them. They've been in every other villainous team episode thus far.

You would think it would be even easier to simply use/make an instrumental version of the original, and then create an English version of the song than coming up with their own song that they know is gonna piss people off. That in mind I hate this new opening. Aside from really loving the original XYZ opening, this replacement song (if you can even call it a song) sounds like a really bad attempt at 80s rock music, I knew the idiots in charge of the dub are out of touch, but this is just sad.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I finally managed to watch this episode. It was great. Probably the most serious and story-centric Kalos episode to date. This gives me high hopes for XYZ. The Who's that Pokemon was absolutely genius. I don't think they've ever messed with the formula like that before. I do have to say though, even after seeing it in action, I'm still not sold on Zygarde 10%. I love the design and concepts of the other three Zygarde, but 10% just doesn't work. A dog just does not scream legendary protector of nature in any conceivable way. As for the random Alain cameo at the end, I feel like that has to be the first time we've ever seen Ash and friends pass by someone and not stop to talk to them.

Normally I will defend the dub, but in this case I will admit that the opening theme was disappointing. It had potential, but the fact that it was so short and simple just left it feeling incredibly awkward.

Pikachu52

I finally managed to watch this episode. It was great. Probably the most serious and story-centric Kalos episode to date. This gives me high hopes for XYZ. The Who's that Pokemon was absolutely genius. I don't think they've ever messed with the formula like that before.

They have a few times in the Japanese version but not in the dub.

I do have to say though, even after seeing it in action, I'm still not sold on Zygarde 10%. I love the design and concepts of the other three Zygarde, but 10% just doesn't work. A dog just does not scream legendary protector of nature in any conceivable way.

To be fair, Entei, Raikou and Suicune were all dog like too.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
They have a few times in the Japanese version but not in the dub.

Have they really?

To be fair, Entei, Raikou and Suicune were all dog like too.

Technically, they're cats not dogs (Entei's a lion, Raiku's a tiger, and Suicune's a leopard). That aside though, they're not just recolored domestic animals like Zygarde 10% is. Maybe if it was more wolfish and added more flares to the design (like Entei, Raiku, and Suicune have) or something like that it would work better. A domestic dog, complete with a collar and leash, really isn't legendary material as far as I'm concerned.

By the way, forgot to mention it before. Did anyone else notice that one of the Grunts called their Houndour a Houndoom?

Last edited:

Pikachu52

Have they really?

Indeed. From Bulbapedia

1. In Beauty and the Beach, the silhouette is actually Brutella instead of a Pokémon.
  2. In The Ultimate Test, the Pokémon is actually Jigglypuff from above rather than a perfectly spherical Pokémon like Voltorb or Electrode.
  3. In A Scare in the Air, the silhouette is actually a Daruma doll instead of a Pokémon.
  4. In Hello, Pummelo!, the silhouette appears to be Pikachu, but is actually just a transformed Ditto.
  5. In The Bug Stops Here, the Pokémon is actually Jessie dressed as a Venomoth.
  6. When the "Pokémon" is revealed, the narrator says "Venomoth", but the children shout "Incorrect!"