• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

From Ashes Rise Discussion Thread

Crash & Charm

Back I guess
So I assumed that I would have to make a disruption of some kind. So I did and in the process mannaged to destroy my teams only lead regarding the artifacts

GingerDixie

Hopes and Dreams
I'm really sorry that I haven't posted at all. Work has been really busy for me these past couple of days...

But I hope I'll have the time to make it up tonight. I'm going to try my hardest and hope there's no more distractions...

Firebrand

Indomitable
All right, I'm going to move the plot along again in the next few days. If you've got any interactions you want to make before the story inexorably marches forward, get to it, kids.

Crash & Charm

Back I guess
Would it be alright if I drew then scanned in a map with some city's labeled and territory lines drawn? It would give me personally a better idea of where everything is and it might help others as well.

Firebrand

Indomitable
Hey, I mean, if you're up for that, go for it. Let me know if you need any help with the specific ranges of some of the NPCs. I left a lot of them fairly nebulous.

Also, I think I'll probably get the next plot-advancement post up a little later tonight.

Crash & Charm

Back I guess
kk. Iwill get started on it. Can you pm me some more nation names and general areas. Just throwaways to help take up space. because right now there are lots of blank patches. you have managed to occupy the east coast but have left most of the west coast and the center of the continent uninhabited. I have come up with a place called the burning planes. Previously the great plains and it is burning forever because of the violent storms lighting the planes.

Also Is Oberon the largest nation on the continent? Or just the most profitable?
Also if any players (RPGers?) want to tell me in no uncertain terms exactly where their kingdom is feel free.

Last edited:

Firebrand

Indomitable
kk. Iwill get started on it. Can you pm me some more nation names and general areas. Just throwaways to help take up space. because right now there are lots of blank patches. you have managed to occupy the east coast but have left most of the west coast and the center of the continent uninhabited. I have come up with a place called the burning planes. Previously the great plains and it is burning forever because of the violent storms lighting the planes.

I'm not sure that any place could conceivably burn that long. However, it could be a landmark from where a particularly bloody and brutal battle was fought, where the plains burned for a long time because of the bearers involved. And yeah, I intentionally left the west not so much uninhabited but open for other people to colonize.

Also Is Oberon the largest nation on the continent? Or just the most profitable?

Oberon is actually one of the smallest. It's the area of RI, CT, MA, the southern halves of VT and NH and a little bit of southern NY, though not Manhattan island. It's just as powerful as it is because of the trade that passes through it, using the Cape, Narragansett Bay and the Sound much like it did in the 1800s. It controls most of the shipping in the region, a naval power ala Napoleonic wars England. Thorgard is the northern halves of VT and NH, along with Maine, Fredericton and Nova Scottia. Galletia is most of NY state, along with bits of southeastern Quebec and eastern Ontario. The Manhattan Confederacy has all of Long Island, along with about a mile radius around New York City, though that range is a little less on the northern border due to the militant nature of it's northern neighbors.

The MRPA controls roughly 100-200 miles out on both sides of the Mississippi for most of it's length, but "control" loosely. It's a bit like the West during the gold rush in that there's a law, but it's sort of loosely the law because it's not policed very well, and people with a lot of money can generally do as they please. The US Government in Exile lays claim to most of northern Virginia, Maryland and some of Delaware, enough to border on Manhattan Confederacy land a little. The Three Crows control relatively little territory, all they lay claim to is their stockade and 20 acres of land, but most people within 15 or so miles around them on the Kentucky/North Carolina border (which is not technically part of any kingdom, remember that there can be empty swathes of land, or at least where people don't really answer to a large ruling body or powerful bearer, like small democratic enclaves and farming communities) would defer to them. The Gloria Dei Abbey does the same kind of thing, except in southeastern Montana.

I've sort of envisioned the area from Kansas to the Rockies and then from that relative latitude north to be at the same time less stable and way more stable than the east coast. A lot of the warlords staked their claims roughly along state/county/etc lines because it was easier, and when the states and counties get bigger out west, well. So there are a lot of smaller farming communities that are sort of isolated and don't really answer to anyone, but there's also a lot of constantly warring powers that are constantly shifting where their lines are drawn because of constant power squabbles. So the smallfolk generally just pay their taxes to whoever is in charge at the time.

In the post I made, I mentioned a Mormon power bloc in Utah, and I'd give about the northern third or half of the state to that. I also mentioned a revived Lakota nation that has staked its claim in the southern Wyoming area. So that's there too. Basically, Fr. Fitzpatrick is a tiny little power with not much land to speak of, but he acts as a mediator between local powers and keeps things from shifting too much there, and prevents open war from breaking out. I've also mentioned a kingdom along the coast of the Gulf of Mexico whose primary export is oil and is probably also a thriving fishing community. It doesn't extend too far inland but probably stretches in a crescent from Houston to the Alabama state line, meaning it controls the Mississippi delta, preventing the MRPA from being a sea power as well.

On a different note:
New plot post. This is a big one. As in, like, the actual meat of the plot of the RPG starts here. It's our first fight and we're all without our artifacts. So yeah, that's a thing, but don't think it will become the norm, from now on we'll mostly be fighting with a lot more firepower. If you're outside of the gathering of warlords under the tent, I'm afraid you can't get in, or even really see what's happening, but I think most of us are in the tent, so enjoy the rather one-sided bloodbath, and remember that even if you're outside, people are still probably freaking out about a giant impermeable black force field suddenly appearing and then screaming starting from inside.

Also, feel free to add your own contributions into the trade summit, I left time gaps for that purpose.

Kitt Geekazaru

Infernape Trainer
Eep!
I just realized that there's a discussion thread!
*Hangs head in shame*
But anyway...
Also if any players (RPGers?) want to tell me in no uncertain terms exactly where their kingdom is feel free.
Empire of Geordia: All of Florida and Georgia, along with some parts of neighboring areas. Most of Alabama is part of it, and some of South Carolina. The northernmost part of Georgia is mountainous and is disputed territory. The only sealine that is controlled by them is along Florida and up to Charleston on the East Coast. Birmingham and Mobile are parts of Alabama that is not under their control.
So basically if you're looking at a US map the border runs from Charleston to North of Atlanta to the Northwesternmost part of Florida.
Also, it's main powers are agriculture (mainly cotton for clothes, some peanuts and pecans), transportation, and industry. Unfortunately, it's fuel reserves are low so it cannot use the transportation resources it has. It has a decent industry, and it prides itself on having technology. Many members of the Empire of Geordia consider the other lands foolish to take after kingdoms and other Middle Ages things. The only reason they themselves are an empire is because of peer pressure and the need of leadership. Most civilians go about their lives as they did before, but their lives have still been drastically changed.

Crash & Charm

Back I guess
OOk thanks. My family and I are doing some summer cleaning. So The map won't be done until Tuesday Wednesday at the latest. Same with my rp post.

RogueMG10

Lieker of Mudkipz
The Rosethorn Empire is most of the West Coast, from 2/3 down what used to be California to Washington, although the exact territory in Washington is disputed in the Northern parts like Seattle and Olympia.

Crash & Charm

Back I guess
I'm not sure that any place could conceivably burn that long. However, it could be a landmark from where a particularly bloody and brutal battle was fought, where the plains burned for a long time because of the bearers involved. And yeah, I intentionally left the west not so much uninhabited but open for other people to colonize.

The plains could burn for an extended period of time. Up to 3 years actually, BUT since it was the magic storms it could have started a slower burning fire that would burn much longer. Also i'm calling the oil nation tebii qaz.

(note; The long burning is a result of the sod underneath the plains lighting, it burns slowly and releases a large amount of gas. Much of the plains however has been farmed which removes the fuel for the fires.)

Edit

MapovFar_zps8da02b9e.png

I can change/add to this so just tell me and I will. I am also planning on adding to the empty spaces so just give me a name and a location and I will add it.

Last edited:

RogueMG10

Lieker of Mudkipz
By the way, starting Monday, I'll be out in the mountains without much (if any) Wi-Fi, so I'll be on hiatus at that time.

And I think Rosethorn stretches a bit farther into California and slightly less into Oregon.

Kitt Geekazaru

Infernape Trainer
I still haven't posted, have I?
Well, it's a good thing it's RPG night.
I am now doing a thing where every Friday night I focus solely on RPGs. No guild xat open, no showdown at the same time, just RPGs.
Get hyped.
Edit: Geordia looks great, but where is the Black Hand's area?

Crash & Charm

Back I guess
Where is that?

Kitt Geekazaru

Infernape Trainer
'Tis in the second post of the sign-up, milady. The last one, in the spoiler.
New York City if you're too lazy go get specifics.

Firebrand

Indomitable
I still haven't posted, have I?
Well, it's a good thing it's RPG night.
I am now doing a thing where every Friday night I focus solely on RPGs. No guild xat open, no showdown at the same time, just RPGs.
Get hyped.
Edit: Geordia looks great, but where is the Black Hand's area?

Cool beans.

By the way, starting Monday, I'll be out in the mountains without much (if any) Wi-Fi, so I'll be on hiatus at that time.

Hey, no worries. I think I'll wait until King Infernape and Creepychu post. I guess we can expect a post from you within the next 24 or so hours, King Infernape? And Creepychu has told me that his post is in the works. So yeah, once those are in I'll move things along to the next plot post, which will be the ultimate fallout from this whole bloodbath, and I'll let that stretch for a week or two. So you've got time.

@Crash & Charm:

I'd say the northern part of the territory that you've given to the Government in Exile would be Black Hand turf. Both the Gov't and Black Hand are relatively poor nations that stay in, like, existence by sheer martial force. The ex-US government has a fairly large stockpile of weapons and straight-up nuclear deterrent to keep people from messing with them, that and the fact that the man who leads their troops can stop a truck. With. His. FIST. And the ruins of New York are essentially anarchy, but Vivi attracted a lot of strong bearers who thought the law of the jungle was pretty cool in the early days of the Fall. So they don't have much land, per say, but they have a lot of hard political power.

The only thing that keeps the Gov't in Exile land from being subsumed by Oberon and Galletia is the fact that they'd have to fight through Black Hand land to get there, and it's just not worth the trouble.

Also, I think the Burning Plains are a little too big. I also think you may have understood the idea of the electrical storms that preceded the Fall. It was a one-time event in the lower atmosphere, however it fundamentally changed the upper air at about cruising altitude for planes. The electrical storms aren't raging anymore, and the only magic of the artifacts is far more in keeping with the "sufficiently advanced technology" variety as opposed to high fantasy.

Crash & Charm

Back I guess
OK that's good to know I will make the necessary edits.

Creepychu

The horror
Sorry for the holdup everybody; managed to lose my original post and had to redo from scratch. It's up and running now, though.

Also, for the map, the Commonwealth should be pressed up against Rosethorn's southeast border. Their territory is basically the Mojave plus the length of the California Aqueduct, but the subordinate warlords like to overstate their borders and a lot of the territory is unopulated, so in practice it's not that exact. There should be more detail in Ashton's profile under the faction part (I put it in a spoiler blurb I think), so take a look there if this seems too vague.

High-tech faction that relies extensively on irrigation technology to keep its population fed, also produces an abundance of electricity and makes use of all the modern appliances that allows.

I'll also note that the burning plains are currently occupying the spot where the Iowa freestate from Heather's backstory used to be. Since that place was destroyed in a massive, cataclysmic battle between bearers during the early stages of the fall, that could be an explanation for how the fire started.

Last edited:

Crash & Charm

Back I guess
ok. That makes sense. I am going to edit the edited map into this post.
MapovFar_zps1807175d.png

Last edited: