• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

From Ashes Rise Discussion Thread

Firebrand

Indomitable
Forgot to mention here yesterday, but new plot post is up, dealing with the immediate fallout of the assassination attempt. I'll let all (most? whatever) of us get posts up before moving things along a few hours. You can leave the valley and go back to your domains now if you so choose, but I'm going to keep the action centered there for another little while.

Keep in mind, people have died. Everyone's shocked and reeling. People will be angry, scared, confused, etc.

Crash & Charm

Back I guess
Would it be alright If my characters are given a mission to assassinate the leader of the Mormon power block? Tascalusa is looking to expand his land. He is trying to throw the Mormon land into chaos.

Firebrand

Indomitable
The Mormon society is ruled by a council of elders, so you'd have to take out a lot of people, not to mention the fact that it would seriously piss the Lakota off now that Running Horse has declared that his tribe has a blood debt to the Mormons. So like, if you want to try, then fine, but remember that overthrows don't happen in a vacuum and there will be consequences.

Also, it'd take a lot more than a week of walking to get from the Appalachian Mountains to Utah...

Crash & Charm

Back I guess
I assumed that but that is the sort of assignment a desperate crazy leader in search of land would give right?

Firebrand

Indomitable
Eh, he'd probably go after a weaker, less centralized target first. Especially if he knows that the Lakota and Mormons have an alliance now, any leader with an ounce of political savvy would make sure he had the clout to back it up. Not saying it couldn't happen, but expect everything to go to hell fast quick.

Crash & Charm

Back I guess
well. I want him to fail. He is kind of a stupid guy. He promised his throne to two complete strangers after just watching them fight with a couple of thugs...The only reason he is IN power is because he has a parade of puppets following him around. HE also has an artifact power that would help him greatly. people are more likely to accept his suggestions it plays with their emotions. He also now has two very capable assassins at his disposal and a little bit of ciaos would serve him greatly.

His 'Kingdom' is tiny, just a main capital and some surrounding farm lands. He has captured a few mines and has a bunch of capable workers so his place has attracted many a traveler. HE wants to somehow set himself up as ruler but he hasen't really thought out the plan. He probably just intends to assassinate the counsel members one by one until none are left.

Last edited:

Firebrand

Indomitable
Like I said above, go for it if you want to. But keep in mind that a shake up like that would be big enough and bloody enough that the Arbiter will have to step in, and if there's blood on your character's hands, or even remotely close to their hands, he's going to bring them to bear on it. If you think you can handle the fallout of that, then fine, you can try. But the Arbiter (and by extension myself as GM) will not make it easy for you to come off scot-free and there will be far-reaching consequences you probably won't even think to expect. The Arbiter's role means that he can't directly interfere until the damage is done, but once it does the zookeeper facade comes off and the justicar comes out. He can't get involved in the act itself, but he's the one who will prevent the resulting power vacuum from spreading too far, and making sure the matter is dealt with in the way that drags the least amount of external powers down with it. He can't directly overthrow warlords, he can only indirectly move to stop things from happening before they do, but once the die is cast he can swoop down like an avenging angel (or maybe a bat out of hell) to make sure it doesn't get any worse than it necessarily needs to be.

Also, like, don't move things along too fast. Once a couple more people get their posts reacting to the bloodbath in, I'm moving things forward just a few hours, and then once we've gotten a couple posts for that, I'll move to a later timeframe. You can either sit out for a bit while the time catches up and start figuring out where you want to go from here, or you can go and edit your post and keep your characters in the immediate vicinity of the compound. I don't really want your characters out in Utah several weeks ahead of the rest of the players, because events will start happening in our present time frame that you will probably feel the effects of out west, and if you've moved yourself too far ahead you won't be able to maneuver your characters and their actions in relation to those events. Does that make sense?

Last edited:

Crash & Charm

Back I guess
Yep. I will probably go more in depth entailing there mission. They might move in and get a bit better settled. I could have them obtaining minor neighboring kingdoms with the end goal being the power block. Or I could have one of them planning the big score while the other makes a name for he kingdom. The goal here is to send in am assassin then to negotiate the new leader which should work very well on a small scale.

I am just exploring my options. I expect my next few posts to be the ground work for the heist. Can you give me any more info on the Mormon power?

Last edited:

Firebrand

Indomitable
Yep. I will probably go more in depth entailing there mission. They might move in and get a bit better settled. I could have them obtaining minor neighboring kingdoms with the end goal being the power block. Or I could have one of them planning the big score while the other makes a name for he kingdom. The goal here is to send in am assassin then to negotiate the new leader which should work very well on a small scale.

I am just exploring my options. I expect my next few posts to be the ground work for the heist. Can you give me any more info on the Mormon power?

And remember that not every single place on the continent is a nation-state. Though there are a lot of larger powers, remember that even in today's United States in the middle of the country there is a lot of land that is pretty much unsettled. Not everyone is going to set themselves up as a king or warlord or whatever. In the wake of a catastrophe like the Fall, a lot of people are just going to circle the wagons and try to ride it out as best they can. There's going to be a lot of small towns, farms, ranches, etc. between the Mississippi and the Rockies that have a lot of empty space between them and the next vestige of civilization, and that land isn't really arable enough or valuable enough for anyone to stake their necks on a territorial squabble over.

The east and west coast are densely settled population areas, ergo it makes sense that a lot of new nations set themselves up there and snatch up as much land as they could until they ran up against a rival power. The middle of the country is much less densely settled, so you'd run into more organizations like Gloria Dei and the Three Crows, little settlements and enclaves that have a couple powerful bearers running the show and providing a measure of stability and protection to people under their aegis, some small towns claimed by either a couple bearers and turned into a stockade or others that have been overrun by an organized crime ring like the Black Hand, just without the population density of the New York area. There's also going to be farmers and ranchers who don't necessarily have to bearers themselves, but in the chaos of the Fall were able to say "Hey, look, I've got all this farmland that produces a good amount of food. If you come here and work for me, and you bearers protect my interests and my folks, I'll make sure you're fed." And they would basically be sharecroppers, not answering to a higher power than their farmer. They might not necessarily be as stable, and certainly nowhere near as aggressive, as a place like Oberon or Galletia, but they would be able to keep their people safe and fed. It'd be a big collection of steadholts, holdfasts, etc. So if a warlord out west wanted to scoop up territory on the Great Plains, you certainly have the opportunity to do so, though as your infamy grows people are going to band together to try and put you down.

As far as Mormon power structure goes, do some digging on how the Mormon compounds in real-world Utah function. It would be very much like that, though on a larger scale. Agrarian communities centered around a small governing council, and those communities answer to a central authority, a larger council of elders, that I'm just gonna say is based out of Salt Lake city. So basically, if you want to take them down, you're gonna have a rough time because even if you do successfully kill all the elders in Salt Lake City, those agrarian communities can function pretty well autonomously. You'd have to lead a full on military campaign to subjugate as many of them as you could, probably either killing or at least displacing thousands of people as you did so.

The Lakota, I envision, are something of a polar opposite society, hence the culture clash. While the Mormons are settled agrarians, the Lakota are more nomadic herders with a similar MO to Genghis Khan. They would exist as a single tribe, however with many smaller tribes under that umbrella that travel around their domain herding livestock and hunting. They would have claimed outpost cities and towns where some people do live and tend crops, but the majority of them are nomadic herders and hunters with no real centralization except answering to a head chief, meaning Running Horse. Elder Smith was not the Grand President of the Church of Latter Day Saints, but he would have been highly placed enough on the higher council that he would not have insulted Astor by being sent in the President's place.

Crash & Charm

Back I guess
ok thanks for the info. I have some of an idea how this would work. most of the grouping would be simple diplomacy while we might run into some minor warlords and kingdoms.

Taking down a larger kingdom will be harder and require much more that a minor province type kingdom could manage.

Firebrand

Indomitable
Taking down a larger kingdom will be harder and require much more that a minor province type kingdom could manage.

Your warlord might find the Mormons aren't big fighters, so he could steamroll some settlements easily, but once the Lakota catch wind of it, things aren't going to end well.

Also, *ahem*, um, can we get a couple new posts in?