• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

From Cradle to Save (433)

Swirling Squirtle

Water Master
i can't be sure but im DEF. sure that was his voice

Rashdan

[Insert Wacky Title]
Hmm, I thought Bonsly was pronounced sort of like Bonsli, as in the 8th movie.

It was an ok episode, and yea, that ninja guy sounds a lot like Gary.

wobbanut

Team Awesome
Well, so far between its first episodes and the eighth movie, I still like Bonsly ten times more than its parent (I mean sudowoodoo, not Brock LOL). At least it doesn't have that annoying voice that makes me cringe. It was maybe a little annoying, but it was cute too.

I really liked the humor in this episode. I liked Brock going gaga over Angela and then finds himself hugging a post. His voice during the scene was off, but not too bad. James and Meowth dressing as Jessie was bizarre and hilarious at the same time. The juvenile side of me also got a good snicker at Team Rocket saying that this is not the time to be breaking wind. LOL

Best line: Jessie: "If you think you can stop a girl ninja prodigy like me, you're out of your *mind* arts."
Ash (disbelieving): "Hey Brock?"
Brock: "You're not going deaf, I heard her too."

Overall, the episode was pretty good. Not one of the best or most memorable, but it was an interesting introduction for Bonsly. Great animation with the tree camouflage too.

Overall, 6/10.

Hikarii

Two i's, not one!
Wow, you did Bonsly's voice? I'm so surprised! XD;

I loved Bonsly's voice, he sounded like a baby like he should've been. Hence, I couldn't help but scream how cute he was. XD It's been awhile since I've liked a Pokemon's dub and Japanese voice. Way to go! I really appreciate your efforts, and the persuasion to let you do Bonsly's voice.

And yeah, don't feel bad. Because Bonsly is meant to be high-pitched and almost always crying, of course he'll be annoying to some. But I never minded Usohacchi's voice, and I enjoyed Bonsly. Please keep doing bonsly! x3

When I first heard him in Movie 8, I knew I wanted to voice him. I specifically requested to voice him and pretty much floored everyone in the studio when I went from Brock voice to Bonsly in this episode. Sarah insisted that it couldn't be my voice until I did it for her in person. Actually, when I did the opening sequence, I blew the levels for the engineer as he was totally not expecting that to come out of me.

EDIT: I felt that I should also mention how much I enjoyed this episode, too. ^^a It made me laugh a lot, and when a Pokemon episode makes me laugh, it's great. x3 Heck, even my little sister laughed A LOT at this episode, and she could care less about the Pokemon anime.

Ever since the new dub aired, my sister and I have been watching it religiously. We're curious as to see how it'll turn out, and it's really fun to watch. It's like a whole new Pokemon. Yay!

Cobalt_Latios

I FINALLY, i repeat finally was able to view this episode. IMO, it was actually pretty good. I like the use of CG in this episode a lot. Also, I dont know why everyone finds Bonsly's voice so bad, i didnt mind it one bit. Yeah, i can be quite tolerable if need be. Yeah, that one guy sure did sound like Gary.
For Kecleon, they either had the animators make him completely invisible, or that was a specially trained Kecleon. Because it's belly stripe should not have gone invisible too.
Later on, I liked it when Ash, May and Brock sent out: Grovyle, Combusken and Marshtomp. That was a pretty cool touch.

wobbanut said:
Best line: Jessie: "If you think you can stop a girl ninja prodigy like me, you're out of your *mind* arts."
Also my favorite line. At first i could not quite comprehend what she said, but it was hilarious. That made me lol well!!

During the battle with Bonsly, I couldnt help but think "Oh no! Bonsly broke free!" Also, i heard someone say that Forretress had its japanese voice. Is this true?

Overall, not bad.

~C_L~

I thought that was a great episode, for a change. I actually laughed out loud at some points, just aswell no-one was home... It'll be cool once Bonsly evolves into Sudowoodo. I think Brock'll treat it like Forretress.

NewBrock

Boulder Trainer
Well, so far between its first episodes and the eighth movie, I still like Bonsly ten times more than its parent (I mean sudowoodoo, not Brock LOL). At least it doesn't have that annoying voice that makes me cringe. It was maybe a little annoying, but it was cute too.

I really liked the humor in this episode. I liked Brock going gaga over Angela and then finds himself hugging a post. His voice during the scene was off, but not too bad. James and Meowth dressing as Jessie was bizarre and hilarious at the same time. The juvenile side of me also got a good snicker at Team Rocket saying that this is not the time to be breaking wind. LOL

Overall, 6/10.

Couple of fun notes.
I was really happy with Brock's performance in this episode. He really showed a range, and I had fun doing it. The "You're not deaf" line and the "you mean I'm a father" line were so much fun to do. These were "fun to be goofy" lines.
When he freaks out and grabs for Angela and ends up hugging a tree stump, the react he gives kinda squeaked out of me. It seemed a little too high to be something that would come out of Brock, but the engineer and I loved it so much (due to it's amazing spontaneity and comic sound) that we had to keep it in.
But Brock also gets to be serious in this episode. I like when he defends Bonsly and lovingly takes care of it. I also think the line "Bonsly, I think you're all alone...but you wouldn't be if you'd agree to come with us." is one of my favorite Brock lines of the season. There's just so much heart in it. A moment tinged with sorrow followed by hope. I haven't felt this strongly about a line since I played Arima's father in Kare Kano. There's a great flashback scene where Arima has been abandoned and my character is in silhouette saying "would you like to come with me now". It's just one of those moments that moves you as an actor and you hope that it moves the audience.
And then of course, I also get to beat the crap out of myself several times, so that's better than the price of any therapist. ;)
All in all, this is a 10/10 for me. I really loved this episode.

Ninetalesuk

Cascade Trainer
Oh yeah... with Max leaving next season, the only way for Brock to be pulled away by girls is have Bonsly use Take Down on him... ow...

mewfan1

OK, I am now officially crushed. I can't believe that everyone hates bonsly (and yes, it is Bon-sly, not Bons-lee, he is a sly bonsai tree, not the dad from Happy Days).
Much like Usohatchi, Bonsly is a high pitched baby pokemon.
He doesn't sound too terrifically different from the way 4Kids dubbed him. When I first heard him in Movie 8, I knew I wanted to voice him. I specifically requested to voice him and pretty much floored everyone in the studio when I went from Brock voice to Bonsly in this episode. Sarah insisted that it couldn't be my voice until I did it for her in person. Actually, when I did the opening sequence, I blew the levels for the engineer as he was totally not expecting that to come out of me.
Bonsly is what would happen if Frank Welker did voices for Pokemon. For those of you who are unfamiliar with Frank's work, he was Uni in the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon, he was Abu in Aladdin, Slimer in the Ghostbusters cartoon, Nibbler in Futurama and hundreds of others.
This was one of the reasons that I wanted to voice him. I have done so many different types of voices in anime, but I've never really had the chance to do a really cartoony voice. He is one of my favorite Pokemon and I really thought that he would be much better received.
I have to say that this was not the response I had expected.

(Goes off to sulk in his corner.)

"Even now, he sulks like Achilles in his tent. Achilles? The Iliad? It's Homer??? READ A BOOK!" - Handy

Hey, I thought Bonsly's voice was good.
I really liked this episode. Bonsly is one of my favorite pokemon and I loved how Bonsly banged into brock whenever Brock would flirt with a girl.

Knight_Ram

Hey, I thought Bonsly's voice was good.
I really liked this episode. Bonsly is one of my favorite pokemon and I loved how Bonsly banged into brock whenever Brock would flirt with a girl.

Yes I agree with you on that Bonsly bit and the episdoe was great! Good training for Ash and the group. It was pretty sad how the three ninja picked on it. I would have got a pokemon to knock some sense into them lol. Great scene with Brock and Bonsly battling it out together. 8/10

flyboy1308

Coming Ta Town
Brock SOOOOOO deserves Bonsly! It is the perfect Poke for him!

Tadashi

kiss my greens
Strange ninja theme... but seeing Ash & co in ninja gear was awesome! ^_^ a ninja, Ash is not. Brock, too. He's definitely a breeder. I'm glad he caught that Bonsly. There's a nice bond there ^^

cg_25

Trainer Trainer
WOW, just saw this episode for the first time.

The ninja boys voice = Gary Oak's voice.

Is it the same voice actor?

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
Bonsly was cute.....

I think it was the first time that Brock captures a pokemon after a battle with it.

6/10

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Kanto seems to be full of these ninja huh? Koga and Aya were the originals.

Anyway, great way to introduce Bonsly to the anime, though I never think of bonsai trees when I hear the word ninja. I loved the Ash and Co. worked hard to learn the ways of the ninja.

Brock deserved Bonsly, his first Baby Pokemon. 8/10