• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

From Ghost To Ghost! (184)

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I liked how Ash's Noctowl was able to overcome Haunter's Confuse Ray and how it learned Confusion which gave him a huge advantage against Morty's ghost types. The final match with Gengar was cool. :D

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
I.E. his big moment of deus ex machina where he conveniently gained a move that could beat Ghosts...

I didn't think him learning Confusion was a bad thing tho. It was convenient given the timing and all of course, but Noctowl hadn't learned new moves until now, so it was well deserved I think.

JudySpell

Banned
Finally we saw a Ghost type Gym match and I liked every second it. Morty's Ghosts were spectacular and I luved seeing Noctowl learn Confusion. 9/10

Leonhart

Imagineer
So the Enju Gym battle finally arrived, and as expected, Matsuba used Ghos, Ghost, and Gangar. I was proud of Yorunozuku since he carried most of the Gym match on his own and finished off Matsuba's Gangar. Aside from the fantastic battle here, I also liked watching the Rocket-dan utilize their Dowsing Machine again.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
It seemed to me that Gastly was Morty's best Pokemon. I am glad Ash used Noctowl, as this has been its only major battle so far. I thought Ash's strategy of using Confusion through the whole room was awesome.

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
It seemed to me that Gastly was Morty's best Pokemon.

Matsuba's Ghos was splendid for an un-evolved Pokemon, but it was clear that Gangar was Matsuba's ace in the Enju Gym match. It delivered the most damage and acted as the biggest obstacle that Satoshi had to overcome.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
Matsuba's Ghos was splendid for an un-evolved Pokemon, but it was clear that Gangar was Matsuba's ace in the Enju Gym match. It delivered the most damage and acted as the biggest obstacle that Satoshi had to overcome.

I just meant that out of Morty's three Ghost-types, I felt that his Gastly offered the biggest challenge. :x

Vipsoccermaster

Great Gym battle! Gastly and Haunter put up a huge challenge for Ash, and Pikachu was knocked out in just one or two hits. Gengar seemed to be pretty weak, despite being strong by the appearance of it. Noctowl was the obvious MVP here. And the Team Rocket scenes were funny.

Leonhart

Imagineer
and Pikachu was knocked out in just one or two hits.

Pikachu struggling felt kind of bizarre to me, though. He had some experience dealing with Ghost-types, so for him to be taken down so easily seemed like the writers intended to make Pikachu the "fall guy" for the sake of boosting Hinoarashi and Yorunozuku.

Daizy

I call you honey
Noctowl using Confusion all of the sudden was hax. I always hate when new moves are learned without a reason, but Morty handled Ash's hax pretty well for the most part.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Yorunozuku learning Confusion here was a good plot point from my point of view since the attack was useful in this Gym match, yet not too contrived in terms of how strong it was.

It sucks how this was Noctowl's only major moment to shine in the whole Johto saga but at least he did it in style by being Ash's main Pokemon and learning how to use Confusion to attack Morty's Ghost Pokemon. I thought that Morty was the most talented Gym Leader that Ash had faced in Johto up to this point, even stronger than Whitney since he was more cunning than she was.

dman_dustin

Rewatching this battle, I've come to the conclusion that Ash beat Gengar easily because of Confusion, sure I do wish the battle was longer, but I'm going with Confusion doing a critical hit on Gengar that really lowered its health with likely another critical hit tackle.

To be honest this was probably the most faithful adaptation of a game battle that I can recall or have seen. Everyone's health was pretty realistic for the games, only taking a few hits depending on the attack. Noctowl learning confusion was probably the best adaptation of the games where you can learn a new move upon leveling up.

Sure there were some anime only concepts, sure, like Haunter's hands being used to catch and toss Cyndaquil or even the ghosts invisible. But it was pretty straight forward of an adaptation for someone who either has low leveled Pokemon or high leveled Pokemon going against a Gym leader.

Noctowl using Confusion all of the sudden was hax. I always hate when new moves are learned without a reason, but Morty handled Ash's hax pretty well for the most part.

I don't know if it was changed and wasn't applicable in 2nd gen, but unlike evolution you technically can learn new moves in battle, sure you have to beat an opponent first for that to work, but one could argue in this battle specifically battling Gastly gave Noctowl enough experience, though yes I do realize it should've had it in the beginning (I guess) though in comparison its as simple as just not choosing confusion until the last moment which would work LIKE this in terms of anime.

Of all things, this is the least Deus Ex Machina thing in a Pokemon anime battle since its PERFECTLY plausible to happen within the games. Just imagine Noctowl got a lot of experience attacking Gastly in the previous episode, and Cyndaquil beating Gastly gave it 100 experience points to reach a level at which it learns confusion. Which was only applicable to the end of the fight when Noctowl learned "confusion" as in "hey trainer I know you don't have text alerting that I learned confusion like in the video games, which technically doesn't make sense without some weird headcannon being real but hey I know confusion."

Leonhart

Imagineer
dman_dustin said:
Rewatching this battle, I've come to the conclusion that Ash beat Gengar easily because of Confusion, sure I do wish the battle was longer, but I'm going with Confusion doing a critical hit on Gengar that really lowered its health with likely another critical hit tackle.

Personally speaking, whenever I watch a battle and a Pokemon lands an attack on an opponent that does more damage than it realistically should, I tend to assume that the attack that landed was a critical hit as well. In the case of this battle though, I assumed that Confusion did a lot of damage because it was naturally super effective against Gangar.

Didn't like the battle too much, but I'm proud of my shiny birb.
Rankings: (from 1-5)

Ash vs Bugsy (2) MVP: Cyndaquil

Ash vs Morty (4) MVP: Noctowl

Ash vs Falkner (1) MVP: Pikachu

Ash vs Whitney REMATCH (3) MVP: Pikachu

Ash vs Whitney (3) MVP: Miltank

vondecayle

I love how Noctowl’s confusion is colored blue and works as a blast of psychic energy against its opponents. The use of foresight was good because ghost type pokemon are good at evasion. Shadow ball’s explosion was also cool, all the energy escaping around was interesting to see since the attack isn’t usually used like that.