• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

From the Other Point of View (H&S one-shot contest entry)

Morpher01

Bewear my power
Wow. Been forever since I ever put anything up here.

Anyway, this little one-shot actually managed to get 9th place in the contest (I know, I was surprised, too). So, now, I'm posting it. Yeah...okay.

From the Other Point of View

“Mama?” a small voice said.

The woman simply flicked her red hair, ignorant of what she should cherish. She simply muttered about leaving and stomped through the door, slamming it shut behind her.

“Good riddance,” snarled an orange-suited man, scowling at the spot his former lover stood.

That stopped the young child cold.

“What could I have seen in her?” continued the man bitterly, glaring at the door as if expecting it to answer. “The minute I found out she had YOU, I wanted her dead. She could have put to waste all that I’ve worked for.”

“You’re no daddy of mine!” shrieked the child suddenly, red eyes overflowing with tears. “You’re just a big meanie!”

“What?!” bellowed the man, striking his child across the face. “What did you say to me?!”

“You’re a big, fat, meanie!” repeated the child, receiving another undeserved slap.

“Don’t EVER speak to me that way!” growled the man warningly.

“You’re not my daddy!” cried the child. “You’re not my daddy!”

“You will be quiet—” the man began, but soon found he was speaking to the air. A chilling breeze drifted by as his child shoved past him, running faster than one his age normally could.

“You’re not my daddy!”

“Stop!”

“Stop!”

“Thief!”

“Bring that back!”

“Who do you think you are?!”

If the boy heard any of the cries, he showed no acknowledgement. His only response was to dive through the window, shards of glass scattering about, several even catching in his red hair. They mattered nothing to him.

The red-and-white sphere in his hand almost seemed to buckle under his firm grasp. If the creature inside knew he was there, it—like him—showed no acknowledgement. It did not seem to hear black shoes thumping against the grass, the wind rushing by.

The boy stopped, darting to the side and disappearing into the forest. No one would find him there. No one ever did. After all, he had lived there for so long that he had become accustomed to his untamed surroundings…almost a part of them. And yet, with his black shirt and jeans, he was as visible as a fresh blister.

He had always stolen what he needed. He usually needed food, water, other such necessities, and with no money available, he instead stole them. And now he needed the creatures called Pokemon for something else he needed.

Revenge.

“You’re no father of mine,” growled the boy though gritted teeth, seething with hatred. “You’re just someone who needs to pay.”

He looked at the Pokeball in his hand.

“And you’re going to help me become the greatest trainer in the world,” he continued, “just so I can show that old man up. And then I’ll finish him off. We will finish him off.”

He clicked the button in the center of the Pokeball, prompting the device to open in a flash of light. The light took a lizard-like shape, and formed into a humanoid blue alligator sporting red fins down its back. A groan revealed the pointed teeth capable of tearing a boy’s hand right off his wrist, but this boy had no fear. He barely even knew the meaning.

“Totodile,” remarked the boy. “Good. Water-type. Learns Dark-type moves. Very good.”

“Dile?” rasped the sharp-toothed lizard, staring up inquisitively at the boy.

“You listen to me,” snarled the boy. “You’re my starter. I’m your trainer. You’re going to help me become the strongest trainer there ever was.”

He waited for a response. The Totodile simply tilted its head to one side. He narrowed his piercing red eyes.

“Fine,” he said. “I wasn’t planning on being nice to you, anyway.”

“Toto?!” gasped the startled lizard.

“Shut up,” the boy growled, and the lizard complied. “Don’t even start to think that I’m going to treat you like a family member or something stupid like that. I have no family, and neither do you. I’m not one of those bleeding-heart pansies you hear about. They think that they know about strength. They have no idea what I’ve seen.”

Totodile blinked, attempting to piece together why its new trainer was so…mean. What had happened to him? Why was he so heartless?

“You won’t call me anything,” the boy continued. “You’ll just fight when I tell you to. You’ll be strong when I tell you to. Don’t even think of getting weak on me, or you’ll wish you were never born. Understand?”

“Dile!” nodded the lizard.

“Good,” said the boy, pointing the Pokeball at the lizard. “Return.”

A red beam of energy burst from the button, absorbing Totodile the minute it made contact. The lizard was returned to its confines, and the boy clicked the Pokeball onto his belt, heaving a sigh.

“I need to be called something when I win the Johto League,” said the boy. “It’ll need to be something Giovanni will remember as he nears the end of both his era and his life.”

“Hey! You!” cried a voice, and the red-haired boy turned to find a blue-haired boy in a golden baseball cap dash towards him.

“I saw you outside Professor Elm’s lab, so I know you stole that starting Pokemon!” accused the blue-haired boy.

“And?” the red-haired boy said simply.

“I’m here to get it back!” smirked the apparently heroic boy.

A smile. The red-haired boy positively hated smiles. The very expression of weakness. Those who smiled clearly had nothing to worry about in their lives, no one they wished to destroy. This was why the red-haired boy never, under any circumstances, smiled.

“Do I have the pleasure of knowing the name of Mr. Bleeding-heart Hero?” the red-haired boy snidely snapped.

“The name’s Gold, and don’t you forget it!” said the blue-haired boy, striking a pose. “What about you?”

“Since you’re one of those idiots who babble about being nice to Pokemon,” growled the red-haired boy, “I guess that makes me your opposite…”

Gold’s opposite.

“Silver,” finished the red-haired boy.

The color of angry tears.

He liked it.

“All right, Silver,” said Gold, “just let Totodile out of its ball and we can all forget about this.”

Silver narrowed his eyes.

“If you insist,” Silver said, methodically complying with Gold’s request.

“Hey, Totodile,” said Gold softly, reaching out his hand to the lizard. “How about you come back with me to Elm’s lab and—”

Totodile promptly dug its fangs into Gold’s hand. A shriek of pain tore through the air as Gold withdrew his bleeding hand, Totodile licking its teeth hungrily. Gold clutched his hand, staring in shock, while Silver was as emotionless as ever.

“What?! Totodile, what are you doing?” Gold gasped.

“Only a fool like you wouldn’t understand,” Silver began. “Totodile wants to get stronger, just like every other Pokemon should. It knows full well that it can’t get stronger if it stays in Elm’s lab with the other starters. It would just rot there, wasting its talents on waiting for some pansy to pick it up.”

Totodile nodded, agreeing with its new trainer.

“What?!” Gold snapped. “Totodile, you can’t possibly like this guy! He stole you from your friends at the lab!”

“Enough yammering,” snapped Silver. “Totodile, we’re leaving.”

“Hey!” Gold cried. “I’m not leaving without that Totodile!”

Silver turned back, glaring at his new rival.

“Then it looks like you’re not leaving at all,” Silver threatened.

“Cyndaquil, help me out!” Gold commanded, throwing a Pokeball.

As Silver watched the blue-furred rodent materialize from the light, flaring the flames on its back, he began to think. With each battle, Totodile would grow in strength. With each battle, Silver would be one step closer to getting revenge on his father. And, when that was done, his mother—he could barely remember her name—would be next.

No one would be spared Silver’s vengeance. It was the world’s own fault. After all, nobody saw things from the other point of view. That was how the world was. And now, from the other point of view, it would unfold.

“Bring it, pansy.”

So...how is it? Do you like? Do you absolutely hate?

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
First of all, I'm biased coming into this because I heavily support the GiovanniXAthena thing.

That said, this is a good little piece. Short, but not to a fault - it tells its story quite well.

One of my favorite parts is the entire first section with Young Silver. It's at once cute and depressing, which is good.

I have to say one thing that bugged me is how quickly he ran into Gold, and how Gold instantly knew he stole Totodile. The way it came off to me in the games was very different, but maybe you were changing it up. It was okay.

Good oneshot though! You earned your place.

Ysavvryl

Pokedex Researcher
Yes, very nice little piece. Silver's bitterness comes out in the words in a chilling but understandable way. The logic behind his choice of name is good. Especially since he chooses it, not Gold.

I did get tripped up momentarily over the mini-rant about smiles. Gold had just smirked, which isn't exactly a smile. So I thought Silver had smiled and then it said that he never smiled. Nitpick, but it broke up the flow of the piece for me at least.

Good work!