• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Frontier - dissappointment

G

Geki

I like the Battle Fronteir Saga so far. It's been awesome for the most part. I loved the brain battles, except the Tucker Battle, that was horrible.

Light Wolf

Holy Wolf of Light
I've liked this saga, except for the beggining that was a bit slow IMO. And I agree with both things that there are no old characters and the facilities have been turned into gyms. The last one being the worst, I think. The biggest appeal of the Battle Frontier was its different way of battling, so the way they did it on the anime dissapoints me. But anyway, I've like it. And both openings have been awesome.

day_macca

Boulder Trainer
I have to say that this series has been rushed. Episode after episode were important things happen. I know every one hates fillers but at least have a few.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
I don't see why a lack of fillers means it's rushed. Fillers are used primarily to debut new Pokemon. But since every Pokemon except Porygon2 has been debuted in the anime, why do we need them?

I LOVE the fact that aside from Brains/Contests being so close together, the other episodes have important events happening as well. Whether it's catching a new Pokemon, a Pokemon evolving, training a Pokemon, etc. it's all been worthwhile.

And please, we *know* we're going to be swamped with fillers when the D/P region starts, so why not enjoy this saga as it is? We may never get another "quickie" saga like this again, and I for one am enjoying it.

The Benmeister

Master of Magnet
A series is only rushed if it goes too quickly and you don't know what is happening, along with unresolved conclusions and a mediocre ending. But none of those are a problem so far. Plus, isn't lack of fillers, in a sense, a GOOD thing?

Kabuto

little punks!
Yes agreed I hate fillers with a passion even though a show like this needs them. But not for now since all the pokemon have been debuted.

JazzJazz

The Benmeister said:
Plus, isn't lack of fillers, in a sense, a GOOD thing?

True, but some fillers are required (so long as they're decent) to ensure that the show is properly paced.

Dreamcoat

The Benmeister said:
A series is only rushed if it goes too quickly and you don't know what is happening, along with unresolved conclusions and a mediocre ending. But none of those are a problem so far.

Which will probably change with the upcoming episode..

Jikkle

Volcano Trainer
Overall I personally like it. Very few fillers and even quite a few fillers where entertaining to watch. I'll echo what most people have said and it would've been nice to revisit some old faces and places. I really didn't see the point of putting the frontier in Kanto if you weren't at least going to revisit some of the things that happened there the first time around.

ArrEmmDee

Satoshi said:
As I said many times over, the problem with Battle Frontier is it's strong lack of nostalgia. Satoshi-tachi are in Kanto, which is a good opportunity to re-visit some old people and Pokemon that they've left behind, yet it refuses to do so. Which shows that the Japanese writers have no care for continuity once so ever. The only thing that brought me a nostalgic feeling was the new opening "Spurt."

Many opportunities such as fullfilling the broken promises made by Satoshi (meeting again with Samurai, coming back and meeting Pijyotto again) and re-visiting old Gym Leaders (and meeting new Gym leaders, such as Janine) have really been overlooked by the writers. If they're going to have the Battle Frontier set up in the Kanto Reigon, at least give us some stuff the original Kanto had. They've might as well have put the Battle Frontier in the Sevii Island instead.

This isn't the first time the writers showed a lack of continuity and it probably won't be the last. The writers have yet again disappointed me for their obliviousness to nostalgia. But the Battle Frontier had its fair share of actually satisfying me, such as the battles and such.

This is wildly true, and he expresses what I believe is the only problem with the BF saga. It might be my low expectations because I found the Orange Islands and the hyper-fillerness of late Johto a bit too much, but this has been a very nice filler saga so far, and I have no complaints. Aside from the total neglect of the fact they're back in Kanto and they're not taking advantage of that.

Ya can't win 'em all...

Steve

revelations1 17
JazzJazz said:
True, but some fillers are required (so long as they're decent) to ensure that the show is properly paced.
is it really properly paced if Hoenn took more than three years, where they've demonstrated with the original Kanto arc and the Battle Frontier that it could take a single year? Does that seem wrong to you at all?

As much as dropping the Battle Frontier and not running with it is literally flushing potential down the toilet, it's a relief that they aren't just shitting fillers all over the place like in Hoenn and late Johto. Maybe they can live with 2 years in D/P....

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Steve said:
is it really properly paced if Hoenn took more than three years, where they've demonstrated with the original Kanto arc and the Battle Frontier that it could take a single year? Does that seem wrong to you at all?

The difference is that a large chunk of Hoenn was devoted to May as a beginning trainer. They had her catch her first Pokemon, train for the very first time, meet her rivals, get interested in Contests, etc. There was also the introduction of Max, Ash having only Pikachu with him, as well as the Team Magma/Aqua subplot.

Plus they had over 180+ new Pokemon to debut, that's a hell of a lot of Pokemon to put into episodes.

In the BF saga, both Ash and May are already established characters, so they don't need to spend time developing a newbie. The Contest arc and May's rivals are returning characters, so there's no exposition needed this time. Likewise, all Pokemon 'cept Porygon2 have been debuted, so there's no need for that either.

Hoenn had real content, unlike Johto. Even if it was 3 years, that saga had some of the most enjoyable and best episodes of the entire series. For every crappy filler there was in Hoenn, there were several great and excellent episodes that followed.

Yamato-san

I own the 5th gen
Someone needs to explain to Steve that the reason they pace these arcs out is because, not only do they need to showcase all the new Pokemon, but they need to wait out the release of the new games. I mentioned this before, but the reason Kantou was so short is because, from what I've heard, it was pre-planned to run as an 80-episode series (and even then, we've had quite a bit of s*** fillers). They probably weren't expecting it to become such a huge hit at first, and when it did, they decided to expand it to cover the upcoming game generations. In the mean time, they created the Orange Islands to pick up where the end of those first 80 episodes left off (the end did seem pretty conclusive, after all). If the Porygon incident didn't occur, I can guarantee that the Orange Islands would've dragged out much longer than it did (with a three month hiatus and a re-running of the series up to where the incident occured at close to the 40-episode mark, at one episode per week, you're looking at a whole year, there). With the Orange Islands being an extension of Kantou, collectively being considered the "151 generation" or whatever you'd like to call it, this saga would've lasted well over three years as well if all those kids didn't have seizures.

HoennMaster

This saga is really good, sure it is kinda going by quick but the storyline is great most of the filler are awesome and the contest are better then Hoenn and the Battle frontiers are cool

sam_h12

WHERE IS PIDGEOT?!
the frontier locations SUCK. they couldve used the Battle Dome and Factory, for instance, to give way more 'mons better screentime.

S

ShinyDragonite

First of all: I'm ShinyDragonite, an italian Pokéfan! I'm very happy to post here and hope I can express what I'd like to say in a good way!
In your opinion, the "Advanced Battle" season also continues with the episodes about the Battle Frontier, or a new season - the 9th - will come after this?;-) Thx!