• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Frozen Britain

I did mean celcius, and it is quite cold for it to be here in britain, but it wasn't the temparature I was worried about. Because it's so cold, the snow just keeps freezing, with more snow continually falling on top of it. It's stopped snowing, but it's still about a foot deep, and there's more set to fall tonight.

A foot deep? It's deep up here but not that deep.
It was that deep in Chop Gate on 23rd December. I kept sinking in and falling into hidden ditches.

Where I am, the snow is so bad that:

Roseberry Topping has collapsed from water freezing inside the rock.
Incredibly soft ground underneath
Trees fallen from the soft ground
Rushing water caused landslides
Many car accidents
Other drivers driving incredibly slow

Etc.

Will-powered Spriter

Pokédex Complete!
A hill called Roseberry Topping collapsed partly. Not fully, but easily noticeable. A huge chunk fell off the front a few weeks ago. The National Trust went up, but they didn't fence it off because it's admitting liability.

I suppose you know what I mean by "Roseberry Topping". You live in Yarm, apparently. You can't see the difference from Yarm.
I help out at the farm upRoseberry, and whenever I go up, Roseberry always looks different.

Last edited:

Blazios

Man up. Seriously. Every single school in my area's been closed now over 2 inches of snow. I found out that mine's closed tomorrow for the first time in about 3 decades. Due to 2 inches of snow.

Will-powered Spriter

Pokédex Complete!
I suppose you know what I mean by "Roseberry Topping". You live in Yarm, apparently.

Yeah, I know the place. I'm quite fond of it. By huge, how big do you mean? Visable from the skyline?

Even if the sky falls down, they'd never close my school due to snow. It's only closed once in my five years there, and the school board berated the head saying it was a bad idea.

Terry. T.

One and Only...
Man up. Seriously. Every single school in my area's been closed now over 2 inches of snow. I found out that mine's closed tomorrow for the first time in about 3 decades. Due to 2 inches of snow.

You live round my end, don't you.

God, that scene in Drama was... a 6A in Drama. lol.
Hope school isn't on tomorrow.

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
I was up to my knees in snow outside before.

The problem is, a lot of the snow has fallen on very slippy ice, so its harder than it would have been travelling. In Leigh (where I live) there are a few canal bridges, and apparently cars couldn't get over them. so people were just abandoning cars.

I was thinking why arent we better prepared as a country for this, but I suppose its not worth it, for the little amount of snow we get. (or rather infrequency)

but the news said its the worst snow since 1981 (if I remember rightly.)

1ee7leader

The snow down here (Brum) is pretty bad, I heard there is going to be 10cm of snow, but I don't realy believe that will happen.

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
Heh. -8 Celsius is nothing where I live. Infact, it's -9 right now.

Deoxytwo

Riddle in an Enigma
Chalk another one up for global warming. >> Here in North Carolina, we're having one of the longest cold snaps in about 25 years. I believe that 25 years ago was also about the time that the environmentalists were in transition from calling it "The Coming Ice Age" to the much loved "We're all gonna burn" nonsense that we hear today.

The climate is cyclical. I predict that in about 2 more years, we will once again hear of an impending ice age only for them to change their minds again in another 25-30 years.

Edit: We still have leftover rainwater frozen in ditches from the rain we got on Christmas Day.

Last edited:

invaderdim

Dimmest of the Dim^^
france get france get 100 days of gas if they lose electric, what do we get - lack of grit and 8 days of gas if electric packs in >.>
but on the upside, no school toomorrow, whether or not it's open xP

Paras

Huh?
Yesterday, it was colder here than it was in Alaska.

And my coat's zipper decided that it was a perfect time to break.

Last edited:

Blue Snover

Cold as ice
Where i am, Manchester we have 8 inches of snow, and it's supposed to get worse.

It was up to my knees this morning, and i couldn't make it to work because all the buses were turned away.

noobers

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
It's only gotten as low as 36 degrees Fahrenheit (about 2 degrees Celsius). Then again, I live in Miami.

I hope it snows. :(

ForeverFlame

I did mean celcius, and it is quite cold for it to be here in britain, but it wasn't the temparature I was worried about. Because it's so cold, the snow just keeps freezing, with more snow continually falling on top of it. It's stopped snowing, but it's still about a foot deep, and there's more set to fall tonight.

-8 degrees Celsius? Are you serious? Suck it up! Last year it was -40 here in Canada at this same time of year. It's basically -8 degrees Celsius every day here during the winter.

RaZoR LeAf

Night Terror

Finally someone with the same opinion as me. 10 years ago, nothing shut for 2 inches of snow. A foot of snow, yes, but 2 inches? It's bloody pathetic how all of Britain grinds to a halt because people just don't know how to cope. It's the sodding Political Correctness, Health and Safety and compensation Claims culture we live in. Nobody dares do anything now lest they incur the wrath of parents/social groups/the church/the government/a no fee no win law firm.

I DON'T CARE. It's enough to badly screw up the roads. And it's much more than two inches where it hasn't been walked on much, like outside my house.

If people don't know how to drive in the snow then it's high time they learn. It's not pleasant and it's not easy, but if it needs to be done then they best learn how to cope with it without whining about it.

I hate how people are begging for more snow so they can skip work. People I know who live close to where they work. I drive 20 miles to work, which isn't much really, but I'll drive through the snow and ice, because it's my responsibility to work. If you don;t like your job, then quit and get one you do like, don't use a bit of white powder as an excuse not to do anything.

-8 degrees Celsius? Are you serious? Suck it up! Last year it was -40 here in Canada at this same time of year. It's basically -8 degrees Celsius every day here during the winter.

The problem is that Britain's weather doesn't flucuate much, so when it gets particularly cold, or particularly hot, then all hell breaks loose. Nobody knows how to cope properly, drastic measures need to be taken to make sure the economy doesn't collapse under people skipping work because of the snow/sun, mass buying of bread/milk/de-icer/sun tan cream/ice cubes, and other rubbish. Nobody is ever prepared for it, despite knowing about it weeks in advance, and when it finally comes, people just fall apart because they don't know what do do. Common Sense emigrated from Britain a long time ago.