• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Frozen Britain

Peter Quill

star-lord
Man up. Seriously. Every single school in my area's been closed now over 2 inches of snow. I found out that mine's closed tomorrow for the first time in about 3 decades. Due to 2 inches of snow.

I'm just so shocked at this statement. 2 inches? What the hell?

We need a good foot of snow for it to get closed down in Canada. Or at least on the West Coast you do. I've heard of people on the East Coast who have gotten of school for six inches.

Honestly? I think you british people who are "oh so affected" by this bad weather should seriously man up and take control. Hell, it's probably going to be easier taking some initiative and driving through the snow instead of complaining and waiting for it to go away.

-55 degree Celcius weather was where I lived last year. Of course that's with the wind chill but trust me. The wind is always there, rofl.

BlueMew7

what up daddy in the house
Although it pains me as an American, I have to agree with the Canadian who's against the British dude.

So basically all of Britian has shut down just because of a little ice storm? Don't get me wrong, I think the U.K. is a great country, but you guys can also be the biggest wimps. This is a great example of that. All of America has to go through ice storms pratically ever year and we just blow it off. Tennessee, which is where I live, rarely has ice storms. However, we had one last year and we didn't shut down anything.

Last edited:

Rezzo

Occasionally
But seriously, he's right. You people need to not let the weather effect you unless it's for something reasonable.

Today, I rode my bike to school, in order to get a friend of mine to fix it later on. Later on in the day, I found that all my lessons had finished very early, so I decided to go home and have a rest, and pick up my bike from school later on. So I waited out the day, and decided to call my friend who would help me fix it.

When I called him, he told me that he was busy doing something else, and that he wasn't at home, which meant that he couldn't fix my bike today. Seeing that there would be no point going to get my bike from the school, I left it there for the night.

Half an hour later, I hear on the news that there is going to be lots of snowfall overnight (now). Knowing this, and seeing that my bike is still in school, and that it is going to snow loads overnight, I'm pretty worried about my bike rusting in the weather.

So yeah, I have a reasonable problem that affects me. :(

ianflowforever

Coordinator Plus
I wonder if Britain will have another ice age, like the one from a while back, that was, what, a good, I think, few hundred years back.

RaZoR LeAf

Night Terror
Although it pains me as an American, I have to agree with the Canadian who's against the British dude.

So basically all of Britian has shut down just because of a little ice storm? Don't get me wrong, I think the U.K. is a great country, but you guys can also be the biggest wimps. This is a great example of that. All of America has to go through ice storms pratically ever year and we just blow it off. Tennessee, which is where I live, rarely has ice storms. However, we had one last year and we didn't shut down anything.

The British government is generally incapable of dealing with anything these days without somebody to hold their hand. Wales has almost completely run out of grit (rock salt) and it has to come down from Cheshire, which is obviously not going to happen because of the snow. Catch 22. There's about 5 inches by me this morning, and there are cars sliding back down the hill as they try to get out making it impossible for me to get to work. Which is annoying because I was up at 6:30 and spent 2 hours clearing my car and path and had every intention of going.

Britain could probably learn a thing or two from Canada especially, like how to run an airport during the snow (I'm sure Canadian airports don't all close whenever there's a bit of the white stuff), or how to clear roads. On the other hand the snow and ice that have come down overnight have been the worst in Britain for 15 years, which explains why everyone is so unprepared. There's generations of people who have never had snow like this before, and certainly never had to drive in it, which is why everything grinds to a halt.

On a side note, does anyone else find the 'help' on the news massively annoying? "Don't go out unless necessary"? What the hell is 'necessary'? Going to work? A lowly warehouse worker like me may not consider work necessary, but the store manager will, as will the people who have braved the weather to deliver the goods only to find the warehouse shut up. Yet I'm sure there will be people taking the day off work... to go shopping, who will then complain when there is no shops open. Catch 22 again.

Blazios

I live on the Wirral, across the River Mersey from Liverpool, and our A roads haven't even been gritted this morning, thanks to a crippling shortage of grit. Even though we're giving our grit to Liverpool. Now have enough for two and a half days. Why are there no Scouts in our government?

I felt sorry for my grandad though, who drove to work in Manchester in this weather yesterday (took him 5 hours), only to be told to go home.

With any luck, the country will get a grip and begin to reopen everywhere next week. Better had do, seeing as I have my AS level exams next week, and cancelling those will mean that I'll have to do 14 in one week in June.

Last edited:

Will-powered Spriter

Pokédex Complete!
Anyway, the severe weather hasn't reached me yet, but there's still plenty of snow, and the bad stuff should hit 3.00pm tomorrow;

Well, it's past three aclock now, and the blizzard we were promissed... is no where to be seen. We got a light sprinkle for three minutes.

School STILL won't close, despite the fact one of the main bus routes to school has, and we had to wait an hour for enough people to arrive for them to start teaching.

This hour was spent inside. We weren't allowed out, we weren't warned of it. School is run by kill joys and misers.

razor fire

Pfft, -8 degrees? That's nothing. I live in Norway, it's -40 degrees here! If that's not cold then you're fuked up.

EDIT: closed because of 2 inches of snow?! what the? It's 1 meter here! That's far more than just 5 cm! We can go home if it's under 15 degrees inside our schools though :)

Last edited:

Jhonny

Officially The Worst
It would be silly for England to spend as much as places like Canada on taking control of the weather. You'd probably call us wimps if we had to deal with a major earthquake.

Toge Tamer

<- First Radar Shiny
It would be silly for England to spend as much as places like Canada on taking control of the weather. You'd probably call us wimps if we had to deal with a major earthquake.

^This.

We aren't used to weather conditions like these. Of course we aren't going to be as strong as the US. Heck, that's like telling you guys to live off the land with no clothes and electricity, and then some cave man, provided they were still alive, coming up to you and saying 'whimp'.

I'm sorry we aren't bombarded by super weather every day.[/sarcasm]

(s.i.e)

★skydragon★
You'd probably call us wimps if we had to deal with a major earthquake.

nobody would say such thing johny. UK is europe's favorite little teatable.
i can't say the same about the yank's opinion though, they drink blood for a living.

Last edited:

dark rift

It's not a 'little ice storm' if one like this hasn't happened for 30 years, and I can guarantee there's about a foot of snow where it's not disturbed in some parts.
Also, you people don't understand that the UK isn't prepared for this sort of weather. Despite having unpredictable weather, grit machines/ snow plows (two got stuck in scotland which has about 30 inches of snow) aren't working that well, because the grit has almost run out. If the answer to this is 'spend more money to get prepared' the government (who are clueless anyway) will eventually get criticised about spending money they don't have on something that won't happen for a while. Canadians, and all other countries used to continuous winter weather, have the supplies, and experience to deal with it, the UK doesn't.

Platinum Piplup

Srs Shaymin is srs
A foot deep? It's deep up here but not that deep.
It was that deep in Chop Gate on 23rd December. I kept sinking in and falling into hidden ditches.

Where I am, the snow is so bad that:

Roseberry Topping has collapsed from water freezing inside the rock.
Incredibly soft ground underneath
Trees fallen from the soft ground
Rushing water caused landslides
Many car accidents
Other drivers driving incredibly slow

Etc.

Really? Wow, i didnt know that Roseberry Topping collapsed. U must live really near to me then.

fishyfool

And a nice chianti
Supposedly the snow and grit shortage has resulted in FIFTY MILE LONG TRAFFIC JAMS somewhere in britain. Now, as someone who has been snowed in now, one finds this bloody hilarious. Yes, I feel sorry for the poor saps, but seriously, fifty miles?

Hammerheart

Son of Wōden
It's not a 'little ice storm' if one like this hasn't happened for 30 years, and I can guarantee there's about a foot of snow where it's not disturbed in some parts.
Also, you people don't understand that the UK isn't prepared for this sort of weather. Despite having unpredictable weather, grit machines/ snow plows (two got stuck in scotland which has about 30 inches of snow) aren't working that well, because the grit has almost run out. If the answer to this is 'spend more money to get prepared' the government (who are clueless anyway) will eventually get criticised about spending money they don't have on something that won't happen for a while. Canadians, and all other countries used to continuous winter weather, have the supplies, and experience to deal with it, the UK doesn't.

exactly, for how infrequent the snow is (I think this is like the 2nd time its snowed properly in about 5 years, at least where I live), it really isn't worth investing in, especially considering the current state of the economy.
If it becomes a more regular thing in future years, then maybe it would be, but as it stands, its just an unusual thing to happen.

Though another main problem was the other week when every small road was about and inch and a half of solid Ice, i live at the top of a hill, and one night we ended up sliding backwards down hill as we had no grip at all.
It had almost cleared when it started freezing again, then there was a layer of hail on top of the ice, which melted and froze again making it slippery and Icy, and then it has snowed about a foot on top of the ice. so even when your not driving through snow, your driving on Ice.

ianflowforever

Coordinator Plus
I just thought of this, with people going green and reducing pollution, well, high areas (high density) of pollution, if there is a significant amount removed, things will begin to change.
An area, say, Britain, that may have not have a certain amount of snow for a while, but recently reduced pollution, could be the reason that amount of snow has appeared.
The heat and smog in the air stops snowing, and if this was reduced, I guess we'd suddenly get snow, or more snow....

Will-powered Spriter

Pokédex Complete!
so where this global warming obama keeps talking about?

Melting the ice caps, sending ice cold water into the gulf stream, cooling down britain's suply to of warmth, causing it to slowly revert to the climate we should be getting at this lattitude.

Or at least so i herd...

razor fire

Melting the ice caps, sending ice cold water into the gulf stream, cooling down britain's suply to of warmth, causing it to slowly revert to the climate we should be getting at this lattitude.

Or at least so i herd...

Where is the global warming? Not what is the global warming.

Alchemator

Occasionally Useful
WPS's point stands, LMJ I presume was musing over how Global Warming hasn't come into effect here and WPS I believe is stating the actual effects of global warming occurring and giving us that situation outside the window.

I've had two snow days in a row at a school that hasn't had a snow day in twenty years D: