• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Frozen Britain

Pikachu78

Spider-Dan
I had snow yesterday and over night it became -8c i think and today all the snow is frozen and slippery.

Will-powered Spriter

Pokédex Complete!
In the fields, we have 4 inches of snow, on top of about three inches of ice. The majority of students are having to wear wellies. The corridors are covered in mud. Every other school in the area has had a snow day.

BUT WE STILL DON'T GET ONE! It's no wonder wikipedia used to say the school's motto was "arbeit macht frei".

Harmonie

♫ Ad vivere
-8 as in Celsius?

We're not even supposed to get that "warm" where I live for a few days... and I live in the South of North America.

But at least it's not like the people in Florida that are freaking out over how it's only supposed to get up in the 50s/60s (Fahrenheit) in the day. Are people in Florida crazy? 50s/60s during the day is very nice weather, and it's not really cold at all.

If anybody in Florida went to the Northern plains right now they'd be frozen solid if they think that's cold. lol

Xx Flare xX

I've decided my dog hates the snow.
I threw a snowball in the air and she ran up to me and bit my arm XD.
Hurt a bit but it was funny;)

CheeseChan.xx

I ♥ Shinji
School's been closed for the past 2 days 'cause of snow, and it looks like tomorrow's gonna be another snow day ;194;

I heard this joke...
Gordon Brown said he'd reverse global warming. Looks like he's done it.
0_o

It's no wonder wikipedia used to say the school's motto was "arbeit macht frei".
Wasn't that what was written above the gate at Auscwitz concentration camp? 0_o

BlueMew7

what up daddy in the house
It's not a 'little ice storm' if one like this hasn't happened for 30 years, and I can guarantee there's about a foot of snow where it's not disturbed in some parts.
Also, you people don't understand that the UK isn't prepared for this sort of weather. Despite having unpredictable weather, grit machines/ snow plows (two got stuck in scotland which has about 30 inches of snow) aren't working that well, because the grit has almost run out. If the answer to this is 'spend more money to get prepared' the government (who are clueless anyway) will eventually get criticised about spending money they don't have on something that won't happen for a while. Canadians, and all other countries used to continuous winter weather, have the supplies, and experience to deal with it, the UK doesn't.

Why would the UK be criticised for spending money they don't have? Last I checked, pratically every 1st world country does that. No one gives a crap whether their own country goes into debt or not. So basically what you are saying is that the UK government is afraid to go into debt because of the people's reactions and view of their government. That is absolutely pathetic. Who cares if something like this won't happen to the UK for awhile? At least the people can get on with their every normal day lives if it does happen again.

Think about this: Say this happens again and you don't have the supplies. Sure, the government isn't spending money on the supplies, but no one can MAKE any money because they are stuck at home.

Now think about this: Say this happens again and you DO have the supplies. Sure, it costed the government money, but at least X many people can make money by getting to/doing their jobs and not letting the ice stop them from doing so.

So it all balances out. So what's the difference if it all balances out no matter what? Well, when people are at their jobs working. They are boosting the economy. Everything starts to flow. However, right now in the UK, nothing is flowing.

dark rift

Why would the UK be criticised for spending money they don't have? Last I checked, pratically every 1st world country does that. No one gives a crap whether their own country goes into debt or not. So basically what you are saying is that the UK government is afraid to go into debt because of the people's reactions and view of their government. That is absolutely pathetic. Who cares if something like this won't happen to the UK for awhile? At least the people can get on with their every normal day lives if it does happen again.

Think about this: Say this happens again and you don't have the supplies. Sure, the government isn't spending money on the supplies, but no one can MAKE any money because they are stuck at home.

Now think about this: Say this happens again and you DO have the supplies. Sure, it costed the government money, but at least X many people can make money by getting to/doing their jobs and not letting the ice stop them from doing so.

So it all balances out. So what's the difference if it all balances out no matter what? Well, when people are at their jobs working. They are boosting the economy. Everything starts to flow. However, right now in the UK, nothing is flowing.

Well, the thing is, the UK is still IN debt from the recession, and not many people HAVE jobs. Basically, the country is a mess, and spending money on things that are not likely to happen won't please the people who are paying taxes on it, when they have no jobs. There's also barely any job vacencies, anyway so they can't get jobs either.

BlueMew7

Well, the thing is, the UK is still IN debt from the recession, and not many people HAVE jobs. Basically, the country is a mess, and spending money on things that are not likely to happen won't please the people who are paying taxes on it, when they have no jobs. There's also barely any job vacencies, anyway so they can't get jobs either.

I see your point, because the UK is doing worse economically than the US is. Still, the UK needs to be more prepared for sudden stuff like this.

(s.i.e)

★skydragon★
The school has made an official announcement, that no matter what safety experts say, no matter how many weather officials tell us to stay indoors, all students are expected to get to exams or die trying.

Is one f***ing snow day so much to ask?

that schoolmanagment must have known that if they gave you all a snow day that most of the students will either rot in bed or go shopping and god knows what else.
get used to the blue marks you'll get while traveling, almost everybody (will) have them this winter:D

by the way, as a funny fact. did you know that in siberia kids are free from school when the temperature drops below minus 50? the cold air is then capable of freezing your lungs fast upon breathing.

Grass Guardian

Rags to Riches
I see your point, because the UK is doing worse economically than the US is. Still, the UK needs to be more prepared for sudden stuff like this.

Dang really? That's pretty terrible because we're doing pretty bad right now. Especially here in Cali. Unfortunately we don't hear too much about other countries. Except maybe Mexico, but even then it's not a whole lot. >.> What's the unemployment rate in Britain right now? Ours is 10% right now.

BlueMew7

Dang really? That's pretty terrible because we're doing pretty bad right now. Especially here in Cali. Unfortunately we don't hear too much about other countries. Except maybe Mexico, but even then it's not a whole lot. >.> What's the unemployment rate in Britain right now? Ours is 10% right now.

Well, I don't know all of the statistics, but I'm for certain that the UK is doing worse than the US.

dark rift

It's about 7.9%, but about 25% are in debt.

jtd

the recession is bad. that is what everyone is thinking right now.

lugia*master

Cheese XD
For those saying that Britain are all wimps, you seriously have no idea of the casualties, crashes and crisises that we have run into due to the weather. People were reduced to crawling across the road because the ice was simply too thick and slippery. There's been loads of crashes, schools have been closed because there is simply no way to get there because the roads are chock full of snow and ice and frozen slosh (the sloshy form of snow). So those who are saying we're wimps and closing up because of 2 inches of snow, you can just be quiet, because you don't really know how serious it is. And trust me, I don't know who said 2 inches of snow, but 2 inches of snow would have been in the lucky parts of Britain ¬¬ Where I live, some people have been snowed into their homes. People actually stocked up on stuff before the hardest bit hit, because they might not have been able to even got to the shops later on. ¬¬

EDIT:

Originally Posted by Blazios
As I just said, it's TWO INCHES.
Two inches? Maybe near you, but NOT NEAR EVERYONE ELSE! Talk in caps, expect to get it back. ¬¬

Last edited:

lugia*master

Cheese XD
Finally someone with the same opinion as me. 10 years ago, nothing shut for 2 inches of snow. A foot of snow, yes, but 2 inches? It's bloody pathetic how all of Britain grinds to a halt because people just don't know how to cope. It's the sodding Political Correctness, Health and Safety and compensation Claims culture we live in. Nobody dares do anything now lest they incur the wrath of parents/social groups/the church/the government/a no fee no win law firm.

If people don't know how to drive in the snow then it's high time they learn. It's not pleasant and it's not easy, but if it needs to be done then they best learn how to cope with it without whining about it.

I hate how people are begging for more snow so they can skip work. People I know who live close to where they work. I drive 20 miles to work, which isn't much really, but I'll drive through the snow and ice, because it's my responsibility to work. If you don;t like your job, then quit and get one you do like, don't use a bit of white powder as an excuse not to do anything.

The problem is that Britain's weather doesn't flucuate much, so when it gets particularly cold, or particularly hot, then all hell breaks loose. Nobody knows how to cope properly, drastic measures need to be taken to make sure the economy doesn't collapse under people skipping work because of the snow/sun, mass buying of bread/milk/de-icer/sun tan cream/ice cubes, and other rubbish. Nobody is ever prepared for it, despite knowing about it weeks in advance, and when it finally comes, people just fall apart because they don't know what do do. Common Sense emigrated from Britain a long time ago.

That's just not fair now, really.

And why is everyone saying 2 inches! We're not Borrowers! 2 inches doesn't get up to people's knees!!

Last edited:

lugia*master

Cheese XD
The reason we're having so much snow now is because:

Usually, we got warm air during the winter from countries west to us, but there's a huge high-pressure cloud driftin over us at the moment, which is directing it away, and leaving us with heavy icy cold weather coming in from the east.