• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

FU Manchu (Pokemon Showdown FU team)

Onyx Tanuki

Ma! There's a weird 'nuki in the yahd!
I've been trying to get a decent FU team worked out for a while, and I think this one might be at least decent. Still needs some work, but it's fun to play with at least. *shrug*

cottonee.gif
mightyena.gif
duosion.gif
frogadier.gif
graveler.gif
glaceon.gif

cottonee.gif

Cottonee @ Eviolite
Prankster
Bold
248 HP, 252 Def, 8 SpD
- Taunt
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Protect

One thing I find run a LOT on FU teams is Stealth Rock, so I wanted to start off with a strong anti-lead, and Cottonee fills that role well. With the exception of faster priority users, it always moves first, and this is further helped by the fact that it's an excellent SubSeeder. I added Protect for the last moveslot to help it get more turns out of Leech Seed and scout out opposing Taunt users, since there's still several Prankster pokemon in the tier (Meowstic, Murkrow, Volbeat, Illumise, Riolu, and Purrloin), and most outspeed Cottonee without any need to invest in Speed, allowing them to cripple it with a status move or their own Encore or Taunt.

mightyena.gif

Mightyena @ Choice Scarf
Moxie
Jolly
252 Atk, 4 SpD, 252 Spe
- Play Rough
- Crunch
- Fire Fang
- Roar

I know, Roar on a Scarfer is probably a bad idea, but with a lot of setup sweepers like Arbok, Clamperl, and Butterfree out there, it's worth it to run it on something I think. When I don't need to Roar things out, though, it gets some work done between its three other attacks. I'm debating swapping Fire Fang out for Thunder Fang, but that's really more of a coverage shift than anything else.

duosion.gif

Duosion @ Life Orb
Magic Guard
Bold
248 HP, 252 Def, 8 SpA
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Recover
- Calm Mind

I played this thing before with Eviolite, and it was pretty beast, but I wanted to go a different direction this time with Life Orb/Magic Guard. Even without Eviolite it's not especially frail as far as FU pokemon go, and its SpAtt is massive enough not to need a lot of investment, so i just went for straight-up bulk. I'm debating swapping Recover or Shadow Ball out for Energy Ball, but this set's working alright for now.

frogadier.gif

Frogadier @ Choice Specs
Protean
Timid
252 SpA, 36 SpD, 220 Spe
- Toxic Spikes
- Grass Knot
- Scald
- Hidden Power [Rock]

For my speedy Special attacker I went with this guy. Again, a non-attacking move on a Choice set is a bit of a faux pas but considering Mightyena's Roar, it seems like hazards would be fairly useful. Grass Knot, Scald, and HP Rock for coverage, though these could be shuffled around a bit, since Frogadier also has access to Dark Pulse and Ice Beam as coverage options, as well as pretty much anything else it wants in Hidden Power.

graveler.gif

Graveler @ Eviolite
Sturdy
Adamant
248 HP, 252 Atk, 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Explosion

My second Eviolite user and a powerful physical threat, as well as something to set up Stealth Rocks, which can be pretty difficult to handle in this tier. EQ and Rock Slide for STAB, Explosion as a last stand move to punch a huge hole in something I can't otherwise handle.

glaceon.gif

Glaceon @ Leftovers
Ice Body
Bold
248 HP, 8 Def, 252 SpD
- Wish
- Toxic
- Frost Breath
- Signal Beam

I'll admit I probably should have made this purely SpDef since Duosion and Graveler can both take a physical hit decently. Besides that, pretty standard set I think, with Frost Breath for STAB, Wish to recover, Toxic for status, Signal Beam for coverage.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/fu-203227996 - I lost this one, but it's a pretty decent showcase of Cottonee doing its thang. I think what cost me in the end was assuming he was running a Cosmic/Stored Power set on Clefairy; I was expecting he'd CP on me expecting me to switch, but instead I ate a Moonblast. I don't think there were any other major mistakes on my part, though, and it was a fun battle regardless.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/fu-203232077 - This was a close battle that I just barely clinched thanks to Frogadier. Meowstic pretty well ruins Cottonee thanks to having Prankster and higher Speed, even though I was incredibly lucky to avoid parahax for several turns.

Cottonee > Volbeat, Illumise, or Murkrow - While none of those three has access to SubSeed, they all would make decent anti-leads with the bugs packing T-Wave and Encore, and Murkrow using Taunt. Murkrow can also Whirlwind, freeing up Mightyena's Roar slot for a fourth attack.

Mightyena: Fire Fang/Roar > Thunder Fang/Ice Fang - Electric is a pretty useful offensive type in the FU metagame due to many Defoggers and Spinners being Water and/or Flying type. If Roar is subbed out, I may as well replace both moves and go for Boltbeam coverage, since the remaining spinners, with the exception of Pineco, are Ground types and thus weak to Ice.

Glaceon > Shelgon/Illumise/Braixen - My team has a pretty glaring Steel weakness between Glaceon, Cottonee, and Graveler, so it could be a good idea to bring in a different cleric. Unfortunately there's few pokemon in FU that would function well in this capacity and aren't either weak to Steel or would give me redundant types. Unfortunately they all have their problems: Shelgon, despite being the only option not weak to Stealth Rock, is physically defensive, requiring a team rebalance, Illumise can't use Eviolite and thus has the worst overall bulk although it can use Oblivious or Prankster, and Braixen, while great on a SpDef front, has the worst HP of the bunch and thus the smallest Wishes.

Last edited by a moderator: