1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Funimation fires Vic Mignogna *keep discussion civil*

Discussion in 'Alternate Animé & Manga Discussion' started by Mr. Reloaded, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Sceptile Leaf Blade

Sceptile Leaf Blade Happy Minun

Ideas of 'far lest social justice era to initiate witch hunts to ruin innocent people's lives', seems very farfetched and conspiracy-theory-esque to me. People are speaking up against sexual assault and against people committing sexual assault. People committing sexual assault, groping, and violating so many people over the years are not frigging innocent. There is not some mass plan to ruin innocent people's lives. Why would anyone even want that?

Social media propaganda brainwashing people into forcing them to become transgender is also ridiculous, I don't even know where you got that from.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019 at 2:05 PM
    keepitsimple likes this.
  2. FlorgesPower2

FlorgesPower2 Anime fanatic

None of this applies to Vic because nobody came forward with any genuine proof he did anything other than some admittedly awkward pecks on the neck, that's not sexual assault.

3. Captain Jigglypuff

Captain Jigglypuff Leader of Jigglypuff

If anything an unwanted kiss is an unwanted advancement but doesn’t necessarily mean it would lead to sexual assault.

4. Sceptile Leaf Blade

There are worse allegations than pecks on the neck. Besides, first-hand victim testimonies are also considered evidence. You can't expect women to wear body-cams 24/7 just in case that they might be harassed sexually for gathering evidence. You can call it sexual assault, sexual harassment, sexually inappropriate behaviour. That's semantics and terminology. It's wrong, and that's the point. Pecks on the neck without consent are also inappropriate and wrong, even if it might not technically count as assault. A defence of "he did not do this other thing that's even worse than what he actually did" is not a defence at all, that's just lowering the bar far beneath where it should actually be placed.

keepitsimple likes this.
  5. lolipiece

lolipiece No Pokemon, only Sakka Staff Member Moderator

OK, just as a fair warning, I'm only keeping this up because it's technically anime-related.

However, just in case, let's not let this discussion get out of hand.

6. Mr. Reloaded

Mr. Reloaded Ask me anything

I do agree that many of these allegations are basically just baseless and a lot of it smells like a massive conspiracy, really doesn't help that Rial took all of Vic's non voicing roles almost immediately after that claim.

But Florges, no need to be all this aggressive and spiteful.

7. Kutie Pie

Kutie Pie Together with the Wind

[​IMG]
    So I guess it's over, but at what cost?

8. FlorgesPower2

FlorgesPower2 Anime fanatic

Regardless of wherever or not he was guilty in the end (I obviously don't think he was) how dare the guys at Funi be absolute snakes and throw this guy under the bus, and then claim they knew the whole. You don't look any better by not saying anything, just saying.

9. Nodqfan

Nodqfan Member

I'm curious as to who they'll get to replace him as Broly (That's the role that I mostly know him from)

10. keepitsimple

keepitsimple Bill Cipher was robbed

He should have been fired a long time ago, but I support the decision to fire him now. Looking forward to the day when there's no longer an angry internet mob immediately smearing accusers as liars whenever someone well known is accused of sexual harassment, that would be nice.

Sceptile Leaf Blade likes this.
  11. TheWanderingMist

TheWanderingMist Rufus is the best Kim Possible character

I think they should have gone with suspension without pay until whatever court cases emerged were settled. Seems the court of public opinion still holds that the burden of proof is on the accused.

12. Sceptile Leaf Blade

I disagree. The threshold for losing your job isn't the same as the threshold for being thrown in jail. The thing with sexual harassment in the workplace is that if you only allow real repercussions if there's ridiculous amounts of evidence the practical consequence is that men, especially men in power, have effective freedom to sexual harassment because it is something that is notoriously difficult if not impossible to prove if you neglect witness testimonies altogether. And that is a real situation in a lot of workplaces that sparked the MeToo movement in the first place. Women being powerless to stop sexual harassment, because the harasser is higher in company hierarchy, because the harasser has a large fanbase and it'd cause backlash, because standing up for yourself can harm the company's image so you risk your own career.

Coming back to this specific situation. In a court case you'd ideally look at proof of wrongdoing beyond any reasonable doubt. That is open to interpretation. How much doubt is still reasonable? There will always be some kind of doubt, some theoretical possibility of a mistake somewhere. In this case I'd argue that still doubting that Vic is a creep who has a history of sexual harassment in the light of this many accusations is not reasonable. Individual cases you might still consider that they haven't been proven beyond reasonable doubt, but as a collective systematic behaviour that threatens the safety and well-being of female employees I'd say it is proven beyond reasonable doubt. The likelihood of the vast majority of accusations over so many years being false is simply negligible. And in that light I'd argue that him being fired is the only right course of action to show that you take safety in the workplace at least somewhat seriously. Does it have to do with their company image being tarnished even further if they didn't? Of course that also weighs in and might have even dominated Funimation's decision-making process. But one is not separate from the other.

keepitsimple likes this.
  13. Kutie Pie

Kutie Pie Together with the Wind

Monica Rial is losing her goddamn mind right now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some people are throwing shade at her.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

By the way, Rekieta is an actual attorney who runs a YouTube channel. He live-streamed a discussion about this recently.

EDIT: Hour-late edit, but time-stamp is about 18 minutes in if you're not interested in comic books.

EDIT 2: Pensacon has a few choice words to say:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    You know, you can tell con-goers you don't want your guests being harassed over this without sounding unprofessional about it.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019 at 1:53 AM