• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Future Black Team

I can understand getting annoyed at useless comments, but that's no reason to start spamming a person's thread; PMs exist for a reason :)

Why do you suggest swapping Low Sweep for Brick Break? And if I swap Ice Beam for Rock Slide then for sake of sanity I'd feel the need to swap Earthquake or Bulldoze for a non ground/rock/fighting move. I want to keep everything feeling balanced.

koosbane

master breeder
Ground and rock give awesome coverage, coupled with Ice its even better. Low sweep is inconsistent damage because of it factoring the weight. I suggested Brick break as an alternative to Close combat and dropping low sweep all together.

Monochromatic

A.k.a: Nemo
Mamoswine @ Soft Sand/NevermeltIce
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide/Stone Edge
- Ice Fang
- Return/Strength

The reason people are suggesting another Ice move over Ice Beam is that Mamoswine's base Attack is much higher than his base Sp. Attack. That means a physical Ice move (Ice Fang) deals more damage than a Special based Ice move (Ice Beam), generally.

Having Rock/Ground moves on the same Pokemon gives it better coverage (i.e more balanced). So in fact, it would be a good idea to throw in Rock Slide. Of course, Ice moves should be used on Bug and Flying, and Ground on Fire to benefit from STAB, but to be honest, if you're going for a full offensive set, Mamoswine doesn't have many options.

Therefore, Earthquake and Ice Fang for STAB. Rock Slide because it's a decent move for more coverage, but should be replaced with Stone Edge once you find TM 71 in the Challenger's Cave (Post E4). Return is mainly filler, but you can replace it with Strength if you need a team member carrying this HM.

koosbane

master breeder
The reason people are suggesting another Ice move over Ice Beam is that Mamoswine's base Attack is much higher than his base Sp. Attack. That means a physical Ice move (Ice Fang) deals more damage than a Special based Ice move (Ice Beam), generally.

Yes.

Of course, Ice moves should be used on Bug and Flying

Ice for flying yes, for bug, no. That's what rock slide is for. Technically rock slide could take out both Flying and bug.

I like Ice shard on my mamoswine over Ice fang but its really your prefference.

andresballer03

wow, one night i dont check this thread and hilarity ensues. thanks guys, for giving me a chuckle. my apologies for zen headbutt on gallade, i thought this was a black 2 team, not black.

Shine

Psyched Up
Staff member
Gallade – Adamant Nature w/ Scope Lens - Psycho Cut, Stone Edge, Leaf Blade, Close Combat

basically a Critical happy set.

LanturnModest Nature - Thunderbolt, Surf, Ice Beam, Volt Switch

Volt Switch is fine, but try checking its Hidden Power, just in case it has a usable type that can improve its coverage.

Mamoswine – Adamant Nature - Earthquake, Rock Slide, Ice Shard, Curse

fully physical is the way to go when using Mamoswine. Also, having only STAB move is always a bad idea.

Honchkrow – Mild/Rash/Lonely/Naughty/Hasty/Naive Nature - Aerial Ace, Dark Pulse, Psychic, Thunder Wave/Toxic/Hidden Power/Heat Wave

Aerial Ace is better than Wing Attack due to its accuracy. It may have less PP, but you won't need that many PP anyway. And Aerial Ace has the same base power as Wing Attack, which means there's no power loss either. Heat Wave is preferable for the last move, but it requires B/W 2 move tutor. Hidden Power is usable only if its type is NOT Flying/Dark/Ghost/Poison. There's no need in having both Ghost & Dark move since they share the same coverage.

Giratina - Dragon Claw, Aura Sphere, Shadow Ball, Shadow Force

It's a bit hard to determine the Nature for a Mixed Giratina, since no matter what you'll reduce one of its best stats, the Def/SDef. Unless you're purely using the Origin Forme that is. If it's the Origin Forme, use the same Nature as Honchkrow, if it is Altered Forme, it might be better to use a neutral nature......
Also, it is better to teach it something else instead of Shadow Ball, since Shadow Force already fills the role of a Ghost STAB. You can replace Shadow Ball with one of these : Stone Edge, Energy Ball, Charge Beam, or even Will-o-Wisp.

Arceus – Modest/Timid Nature - Shadow Ball, Thunderbolt, Flamethrower, Judgement

Moveset is fine, just make sure it is holding the Draco/Icicle/Fist Plate. Preferably the Draco Plate.

Comments in bold :)