• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Future countries to become Pokemon regions

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Gen V was the first time we got a region (in the core series, mind you) based on a country other than the origin of the Pokemon series. Well, state is more accurate but still. As of Gen 8 we have four countries adapted to a Pokemon region-Japan(4), the United States of America(2), France and England. This isn't a speculation for Gen 9 specifically, but a general discourse-what future countries and/or states/territories do you think would be a good choice for a future Pokemon game? If you don't feel certain regions are big enough, you can combine them or propose additional as DLC ala the Isle of Amor or Crown Tundra. Some of my thoughts are
  • Russia. Given it is the largest country on the planet this would really be based off European Russia, which is the most popular . Similar to the Indigo league, the Pokemon league could be located around a mountain range...this time based off the Ural Mountains.
  • Iceland. Very interesting geography and already creative folklore. Part of Greenland could work as DLC (while larger than Iceland, it isn't really populated enough to hold a generation up on its backs). If there were more Ice/Fire types they'd probably be here
  • Argentina. We haven't had a South American region yet. Chile could serve as the post-game region for a change of pace. If you wanted to a DLC would let you take a trip to Poke-Antarctica for a variety of rare and dominant Ice type Pokemon(like Ice-variants on Piplup)

Phillies

Italy would be amazing, with venice and the coliseum. I'd love that.

Fighting the Champion in the coliseum would be fun.

As far as another region what about Australia? It has a variety of environments as well as a bunch of unique animals that can be turned into pokemon. A DLC could then take you to New Zealand.

Dynamic_Fusion

HIKARI HYPE
I'd like to see a Region based off of a Real Country but in its Past. For Example, if it is China, then they should base it off Ancient China. They could focus on Confucianism, Empires, Buddhism or things along that line. Basically a Region which is not Modern and is in the Past or Traditional. They could do the same thing with Greece & Italy.

I personally have had enough of the Mainstream West (US, UK, Australia, New Zealand, Canada and etc).

RedJirachi

Veteran member

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
China, Italy, and Egypt are obvious choices I'm honestly surprised they haven't touched yet.

A less obvious but very good country I'd like to see a region based on is Mexico. The incredibly rich ancient history of that nation and its cultures are sure to make for a great deal of inspiration for new pokemon.

Ascended Dialga

Here are a few ideas:

• Greece. It has a long history going all the way back to ancient times the significance of which cannot be overstated. Greek mythology gives lots of potential for the region's lore. The legendary Pokémon could be based on the gods and goddesses of the Greek pantheon.
  • India. The second most populous country in the world and also large in area with varied geography. It has a vibrant culture and a long history and is even home to one of the earliest known human civilizations. It has lots of neat wildlife on which to base the Pokémon (including elephants and peacocks), and the legendary Pokémon could be based on the Hindu gods and goddesses.
  • Australia. Varied geography and climate, a unique culture, and lots of unique wildlife on which to base the Pokémon.

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
Gen V was the first time we got a region (in the core series, mind you) based on a country other than the origin of the Pokemon series. Well, state is more accurate but still. As of Gen 8 we have four countries adapted to a Pokemon region-Japan(4), the United States of America(2), France and England. This isn't a speculation for Gen 9 specifically, but a general discourse-what future countries and/or states/territories do you think would be a good choice for a future Pokemon game? If you don't feel certain regions are big enough, you can combine them or propose additional as DLC ala the Isle of Amor or Crown Tundra. Some of my thoughts are

• Iceland. Very interesting geography and already creative folklore. Part of Greenland could work as DLC (while larger than Iceland, it isn't really populated enough to hold a generation up on its backs). If there were more Ice/Fire types they'd probably be here
I am from Iceland my self. Iceland doesn't need necessarily pure fire/ice types like galarian darmanitan. Still a Ice/Fighting are good example for a Viking. It could work since it would resist many common weaknesses to steel and rock. Fire/Rock types like Coalossal are actually a good example how many volcanoes are here in the wild areas.

More Fighting/Steel types like Lucario are also great. Grass/Fighting like Chesnaught is also great since many early shields were made of wood perhaps with a hidden ability that resists or weakens 4x flying weakness.

For starters options

Fire> Fire/Dragon

Water> Water/Steel

Grass> Grass/Fighting

Last edited:

RedJirachi

Veteran member
A hipster choice that would also let them check multiple countries off the list is a region or two based off Central Asia countries. You could have a Kanto-Johto situation with the "Kanto" or North be mostly Kazakhstan and the "Johto" or South being Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan and Kyrgyzstan. Give that area a bit of love

Red and Blue

I would love to see Canada, Mexico, Brazil, or a Scandinavian country become a region

And while America has been done I still want a region inspired by California

Phillies

You dare suggest New Zealand is Australia's DLC?

Yes. Its not that I don't think New Zealand isn't worth its own game its just that I don't think GameFreak would return to that part of the world again for several generations after Australia. There are to many other places in the world that also need representation in a game. It could potentially be a couple of decades until they have a chance to return to New Zealand.

Another idea I had is another Pokemon Legends game set in the Old West. Instead of gun fights in the street you could settle things with a pokemon battle in the streets.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
India. The second most populous country in the world and also large in area with varied geography. It has a vibrant culture and a long history and is even home to one of the earliest known human civilizations. It has lots of neat wildlife on which to base the Pokémon (including elephants and peacocks), and the legendary Pokémon could be based on the Hindu gods and goddesses.
May I add a suggestion: I think for post-game material and/or DLC some of the smaller countries near India could be adapted. Sri Lanka and Nepal, perhaps

Italianbaptist

Informed Casual
So I have this idea for a region divided by differences in ideology. The two sides are separated by a wall splitting the East and West a la the Berlin Wall. But I don’t know anything else about Germany. Are there any other countries that have this kind of split?

(I’m trying to keep the divide East/West because as an American a fictional divide between North and South makes me uncomfortable)

RedJirachi

Veteran member
There are a bunch of countries big enough/with a notable cultural divide that you could make multiple regions(Galar is the only region to have the nation in full). For Russia you could start with a region based off the original Kievan Rus region. You could also split up North and South Mexico(maybe three if we include Central Mexico)

deliaketchum

I want to see communist china. Pokemon of the world unite, you have nothing to loose but your pokeballs.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
South Korea would be pretty unique as a Pokemon region. It'd fit the theme of "tradition vs. innovation" pretty perfectly as very few nations actually recover from a war and build an incredibly strong economy in around twenty years like Korea did. Also fried chicken. Korean fried chicken is best fried chicken.