• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Future Diary (Mirai Nikki)

Banana Knight Arthur

NEGATIVE MINUS
Saw the first episode late last night.

Pretty animation, good story so far. However, Yuno/pink-haired girl is stalker/nuts.

Liked how the 'diaries' are not actual notepads like DEathNote, rather, electronic ones in cell phones.

My question is, why did the survival game start when it did, why not 2 years earlier, or 5 months later, is there significance to this?

Also how non-challantly Deus revealed to Yuuki that he was not the only Diary-Holder....

Charizard Champion#06

Spiral Warrior
I finally realize my relation with this show.

I hate the characters.
I love the character designs.

It makes it hard to hate them for doing something incredibly stupid when they look cool. But then again it's hard to even say they look cool when they're that dumb.

So Ninth wasn't really dead and now she has super powers? I don't know what to think about pulling that out of their asses, though I wont complain about it too much considering she is my favourite character.

It's one thing to bring her back but it's another that she has magic powers. If Deus knew the game was imbalanced why did he even have a game in the first place? He gave Yukiteru a trump card for a reason, he wants him to win. Then what's the damn point?

I don't think I've ever seen an anime go so ridiculously off the rails.

I wish I had a gif of that train going off the rails in the beginning. Damn that made me laugh more than it should have.

Thorndrop

I love this series so far. I've seen up to episode 9 and it's definately keeping me interested.

Banana Knight Arthur

NEGATIVE MINUS
Finished ep. 5, why the hell did the censor the hand, after it was chopped off, and it the floor.

Also Minene is not as much of a b!tch as she first came off as, and her second look suits her better.

Also the Fourth is shady, why didn't he eliminated Minene? Well really don't tell me, I don't want to be spoiled.

EDIT: Just saw episode 6, why is there a toddler with a Nikki, and its a little too convienient, his parents were Tsubaki's followers.......

Last edited:

Charizard Champion#06

Spiral Warrior
For teh lulz?
There's a whole bunch of questions that this episode brought up but failed to address. I'm still just counting down until it's all over.
Finished ep. 5, why the hell did the censor the hand, after it was chopped off, and it the floor.

That's just how things get censored in Japan. Graphic violence is a no-no.

EDIT: Just saw episode 6, why is there a toddler with a Nikki, and its a little too convienient, his parents were Tsubaki's followers.......

Get used to convenient plot "twists" like that.

Janovy

Banned
It's one thing to bring her back but it's another that she has magic powers. If Deus knew the game was imbalanced why did he even have a game in the first place? He gave Yukiteru a trump card for a reason, he wants him to win. Then what's the damn point?
Because Deus' lifespan was getting shorter and shorter and he knew that he didn't have much time left. Thus, he commenced a survival game (possibly out of amusement, Minene did say in the last episode that gods do stuff out of amusement) in order for the winner to become a God. But as he failed to notice that Murmur was manipulating the game, thus already throwing the game out of balance (remember how Yuno killed all those diary holders easily?), he decided to turn things around by giving Minene what was left of his powers. It's not really that hard to grasp if you use common sense.

And for the record, I know that Mirai Nikki has a lot of flaws but it irks me when people ask blatantly obvious stuff.

Banana Knight Arthur

NEGATIVE MINUS
There's a whole bunch of questions that this episode brought up but failed to address. I'm still just counting down until it's all over.

That's just how things get censored in Japan. Graphic violence is a no-no.

Get used to convenient plot "twists" like that.

One thing, Madoka does not hold a candle to Yuuki's useless periods and crying fits.

I sympathized with Madoka, sometimes I want to punch my Macbook's screen with Yuuki.... currently watching Episode 8.

Nothing except for Madoka has left me wanting more and more to the extent of marathoning it.

Since last night, I've gone through eps 2-8.

Charizard Champion#06

Spiral Warrior
Because Deus' lifespan was getting shorter and shorter and he knew that he didn't have much time left. Thus, he commenced a survival game (possibly out of amusement, Minene did say in the last episode that gods do stuff out of amusement) in order for the winner to become a God. But as he failed to notice that Murmur was manipulating the game, thus already throwing the game out of balance (remember how Yuno killed all those diary holders easily?), he decided to turn things around by giving Minene what was left of his powers. It's not really that hard to grasp if you use common sense.

And for the record, I know that Mirai Nikki has a lot of flaws but it irks me when people ask blatantly obvious stuff.

I've already considered that he may have made the game out of boredom. The thing is, that's not interesting. Deus is a God essentially, able to manipulate probably anything. Now in something like Death Note Light starts off as bored, sure. But he has to think of and act out several plans to accomplish his goals. That's interesting. Instead of just snapping his fingers and having things change to his will.

Plus there are so many different plans of action that they haven't address. Why didn't Deus kill Murmur? Was she too powerful at that point? Then why didn't he kill Yuno the same way he "killed" Minene? If Deus is willing to give Yukiteru a trump card so he could win why not just let him win in a more direct manner? He already said at the beginning that Yukiteru was his pick for the grand winner so why take chances on that? Grab everyone who isn't Yukiteru at that point and rip them in half like he did to Minene? Does Murmur have the power to stop that too? And if Minene is back to help Yukiteru why isn't she helping herself become God instead? Was there some sort of "help Yukiteru win no matter what or you explode" clause I missed? And why didn't she *****-slap him across the room when he was altering the past?

Sometimes it just seems like the plot makes itself more complicated then it needs to be for "dramatic plot twists".

Janovy

Banned
Plus there are so many different plans of action that they haven't address. Why didn't Deus kill Murmur? Was she too powerful at that point? Then why didn't he kill Yuno the same way he "killed" Minene? If Deus is willing to give Yukiteru a trump card so he could win why not just let him win in a more direct manner? He already said at the beginning that Yukiteru was his pick for the grand winner so why take chances on that? Grab everyone who isn't Yukiteru at that point and rip them in half like he did to Minene? Does Murmur have the power to stop that too? And if Minene is back to help Yukiteru why isn't she helping herself become God instead? Was there some sort of "help Yukiteru win no matter what or you explode" clause I missed? And why didn't she *****-slap him across the room when he was altering the past?

1. Why didn't Deus kill Murmur? Was she too powerful at that point?
- Why should he? As I remember, Deus had no idea that Murmur was actually manipulating the game, he had suspiciouns but no concrete proof. By the time Murmur's true intentions were revealed, he was already on the verge of dying, thus, too weak to kill her. Besides, it seems like her powers were never truly locked away - she was just faking it.

2. Then why didn't he kill Yuno the same way he "killed" Minene?
- Yuno is an unstable *****, while Minene is clearly a good person. It may also have to do with the fact that Murmur was already helping out second and helping her win the game so Deus decided to pick a third person in order to bring the balance back in the game.

3. If Deus is willing to give Yukiteru a trump card so he could win why not just let him win in a more direct manner?
- In what way? It's game Deus created in which the winner would become the God. It would really be unfair to just ignore everyone who died for nothing and declare Yukiteru the winner anyway. Then what would be the point of the whole game? :/

4. He already said at the beginning that Yukiteru was his pick for the grand winner so why take chances on that? Grab everyone who isn't Yukiteru at that point and rip them in half like he did to Minene?
- Hmm, I don't know. You clearly can't make someone a God for just killing one diary holder with a dart. Besides, Yukki had to go through "character development" because in the state he was back at the beginning, there's no way he could have became a God.

5. Does Murmur have the power to stop that too?
- I don't think so.

6. And if Minene is back to help Yukiteru why isn't she helping herself become God instead?
- Minene does already have some of the godly powers, she did manage to make her and Yukiteru time leap in the past. Besides, Minene already went through character development - she isn't nearly as bad as she was before. :/

7. Was there some sort of "help Yukiteru win no matter what or you explode" clause I missed?
- Maybe, maybe not.

8. And why didn't she *****-slap him across the room when he was altering the past?
- Well she threw him brutally on the floor, does that count? xD

Charizard Champion#06

Spiral Warrior
1. Why didn't Deus kill Murmur? Was she too powerful at that point?
- Why should he? As I remember, Deus had no idea that Murmur was actually manipulating the game, he had suspiciouns but no concrete proof. By the time Murmur's true intentions were revealed, he was already on the verge of dying, thus, too weak to kill her. Besides, it seems like her powers were never truly locked away - she was just faking it.

2. Then why didn't he kill Yuno the same way he "killed" Minene?
- Yuno is an unstable *****, while Minene is clearly a good person. It may also have to do with the fact that Murmur was already helping out second and helping her win the game so Deus decided to pick a third person in order to bring the balance back in the game.

3. If Deus is willing to give Yukiteru a trump card so he could win why not just let him win in a more direct manner?
- In what way? It's game Deus created in which the winner would become the God. It would really be unfair to just ignore everyone who died for nothing and declare Yukiteru the winner anyway. Then what would be the point of the whole game? :/

4. He already said at the beginning that Yukiteru was his pick for the grand winner so why take chances on that? Grab everyone who isn't Yukiteru at that point and rip them in half like he did to Minene?
- Hmm, I don't know. You clearly can't make someone a God for just killing one diary holder with a dart. Besides, Yukki had to go through "character development" because in the state he was back at the beginning, there's no way he could have became a God.

5. Does Murmur have the power to stop that too?
- I don't think so.

6. And if Minene is back to help Yukiteru why isn't she helping herself become God instead?
- Minene does already have some of the godly powers, she did manage to make her and Yukiteru time leap in the past. Besides, Minene already went through character development - she isn't nearly as bad as she was before. :/

7. Was there some sort of "help Yukiteru win no matter what or you explode" clause I missed?
- Maybe, maybe not.

8. And why didn't she *****-slap him across the room when he was altering the past?
- Well she threw him brutally on the floor, does that count? xD

Yuno is an unstable *****, while Minene is clearly a good person. It may also have to do with the fact that Murmur was already helping out second and helping her win the game so Deus decided to pick a third person in order to bring the balance back in the game.
This wasn't what I meant. What I was saying was the moment Deus figured out that Yuno was being helped out by Murmur instead of teleporting Minene to his room and giving her God powers why did he not just teleport Yuno and kill her?

In what way?
In the way I said after that. Teleport the other diary holders and kill them off.

It's game Deus created in which the winner would become the God. It would really be unfair to just ignore everyone who died for nothing and declare Yukiteru the winner anyway. Then what would be the point of the whole game? :/
See, that's what I'm asking. What's the point of having this game if he was biased towards Yukiteru from the start and willing to rebalance things for him if he starts to lose?

Hmm, I don't know. You clearly can't make someone a God for just killing one diary holder with a dart. Besides, Yukki had to go through "character development" because in the state he was back at the beginning, there's no way he could have became a God.
Agreed, Yukiteru is at least a bit less moronic than he was in the beginning.

Minene does already have some of the godly powers, she did manage to make her and Yukiteru time leap in the past. Besides, Minene already went through character development - she isn't nearly as bad as she was before. :/
I still think it's in reasonable bounds of her character to still be a bit selfish. And since she has God-powers and is back in the game I was expecting her to act like it.

EDIT:
Well she threw him brutally on the floor, does that count? xD
lol What I meant was she should have stopped him instead of just standing there saying "Don't do that." God-powers after all.

Last edited:
lol What I meant was she should have stopped him instead of just standing there saying "Don't do that." God-powers after all.

Hmm, I think I can answer this one well enough.
I think she's developed into a fundamentally nice enough person to not have the heart to go beyond slight protests to helping a (then) innocent girl who has been locked in a bloody cage by her mother. Uryuu knows about childhood trauma, so I doubt she'd really actively try to stop someone saving someone from it.

As for the other things, I don't know. At this point, I don't really care. I just go into brain-derp mode when watching Future Diary now. The series is self-consciously silly enough for me to enjoy it like that (unlike the similarly stupid Another, which took itself too seriously for that to work). Although there is one quite big thing that managed to annoy me even then:
So the Future Diaries are a piece of electronic technology programmed with a supercomputer by Eleventh. What, in that case, was up with Fifth and Sixth's diaries? They were a picture book and a scroll! That doesn't fit at all with the whole Eleventh subplot!

Janovy

Banned
So the Future Diaries are a piece of electronic technology programmed with a supercomputer by Eleventh. What, in that case, was up with Fifth and Sixth's diaries? They were a picture book and a scroll! That doesn't fit at all with the whole Eleventh subplot!
Okay, I have to admit, this really is a big fail from the writers' side.

Charizard Champion#06

Spiral Warrior
Hmm, I think I can answer this one well enough.
I think she's developed into a fundamentally nice enough person to not have the heart to go beyond slight protests to helping a (then) innocent girl who has been locked in a bloody cage by her mother. Uryuu knows about childhood trauma, so I doubt she'd really actively try to stop someone saving someone from it.

Good point, I hadn't entirely accounted for childhood trauma. So I guess they're both stupid for changing the past.

As for the other things, I don't know. At this point, I don't really care. I just go into brain-derp mode when watching Future Diary now. The series is self-consciously silly enough for me to enjoy it like that (unlike the similarly stupid Another, which took itself too seriously for that to work).

At the last con I was at I saw some people saying "OMG FUTURE DIARY IS LIKE THE BEST SHOW/MANGA EVER!" I've been trying to go into brain-derp mode but that keeps nagging at me.

Although there is one quite big thing that managed to annoy me even then:

Nanaomachines that change the ink/crayon on the paper? It's probably just more of "it's magic powers from Deus, deal with it" logic.

Can I get a consensus that the Breeding aka slightly mechanized dog controlling Nikki is the crappiest one ever?

Yyyyyyup.

Well, except for the
Kosaka King Diary

Banana Knight Arthur

NEGATIVE MINUS
Kosaka King Diary

Hmmmm........I'm on ep-11, well about to start it, and I was right, at the end of ep-10 stupid Kurusu is revealed to be an enemy as I suspected, because I found it odd he let Minene go after the Sacred-Eye arc......

I hope he kicks the bucket soon. Also hope to soon find out how/if Hinata keeps the Diary or not, since the rightful owner was killed.....

EDIT: Watching 11, never though Minene would be so important or live past her initial appearance when I saw ep-2 last night, now I kind of like her.

Last edited:

ForeverFlame

Can I get a consensus that the Breeding aka slightly mechanized dog controlling Nikki is the crappiest one ever?

Yuno's is the crappiest diary. I mean, who else besides her would want to know every move a whiny antisocial 14 year-old boy makes? Yuno's unpredictability gives her an advantage over her opponents, but she'd be dead in the first episode if it wasn't for Yuki's diary.

Banana Knight Arthur

NEGATIVE MINUS
Yuno's is the crappiest diary. I mean, who else besides her would want to know every move a whiny antisocial 14 year-old boy makes? Yuno's unpredictability gives her an advantage over her opponents, but she'd be dead in the first episode if it wasn't for Yuki's diary.

But working together, they have perfect foresight into the future, and it's not conditional like Kurusu's was on him being a detective. At least I think their's aren't conditional, keep in mind I'm on Ep-12

EDIT: Finished 14, what nonsense is this, to lengthen the plot to 26 eps? Kousaka is an 'apprentice' diary holder, and there are 3 additional 'apprentice' DH?

Also, why is Tsubaki's strange voiced servant working for the Giant-headed, presumably Diary-Holder?

Last edited:

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
EDIT: Finished 14, what nonsense is this, to lengthen the plot to 26 eps? Kousaka is an 'apprentice' diary holder, and there are 3 additional 'apprentice' DH?

It has to do with Eighth's diary.

Also, why is Tsubaki's strange voiced servant working for the Giant-headed, presumably Diary-Holder?

That's Seventh. She was undercover at the Sacred Eye attempting to kill Tsubaki but Yukkii, Yuno, Keigo and Twelfth got to Tsubaki before she could make her move.

Jolteon91

iDOLM@STER Fanboy
And if Minene is back to help Yukiteru why isn't she helping herself become God instead? Was there some sort of "help Yukiteru win no matter what or you explode" clause I missed?

I had just assumed that since she destroyed her diary she is no longer part of the game, plus now she has super powers, imagine all the fun a terrorist with super powers can get up too? She doesn't really need to be a god.