• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Future Diary (Mirai Nikki)

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
A question about the latest episode:

How similar was Tenth's death to the original manga version? I found myself a bit disappointed at how abrupt his ending was.

Wardek

U & I
A question about the latest episode:

How similar was Tenth's death to the original manga version? I found myself a bit disappointed at how abrupt his ending was.
It was almost exactly the same. Fourth comes and shot him in the head.

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
Blargh, got the ending spoiled for me by some ******* on the internet. Aw well, I'm still gonna keep watching.

I'd stay away from any topics regarding this series, because spoilers will be posted. Things have been pretty good here but other places won't be as generous.

I haven't seen the latest episode yet, but there was something I was wondering about in last week's. Was that Twelfth's cabin that Minene was living in? It sure looked like it.

Blargh, got the ending spoiled for me by some ******* on the internet. Aw well, I'm still gonna keep watching.

My condolences. Spoilers are awful. I hate how people on the internet seem to think that having read the original manga (or whatever) of series gives them the licence to ruin things for newcomers. Well, I've managed to steer clear so far in Future Diary's case. *Keeps fingers crossed*

Was that Twelfth's cabin that Minene was living in? It sure looked like it.

That's a good point. I think that is almost certainly the same cabin that she was taken to by Twelth. I guess she just decided to use it seeing as she knew where it was and it wasn't being used.

ForeverFlame

This arc was never really my favorite. It's probably because the 4th is one of the only sane diary holders, which also makes him one of the least interesting. If it wasn't for his son, he probably would have continued the Future Diary Alliance until the end. Sad stuff.

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
With Fourth probably going to die next episode, there's something that's come up into my mind.

Counting him, we've now seen Third, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Tenth and Twelfth die. That's half the diary holders down in less than half the series, with two-thirds of the remaining ones (First, Second, Ninth and Eleventh, if I have the story quite straight) having to remain to the end of the game, does it strike anyone else that this story is going at a pretty breakneck pace?

To those who read the manga: does the story slow down at all, or may we be seeing some more Mosaic/Paradox material to fill in some space using Minene and Akise? Do the remaining holders not in the main equation - Seventh and Eighth - put up more of a fight than the ones we've seen so far, or does the battle against Eleventh go on longer than I'm thinking?

ForeverFlame

With Fourth probably going to die next episode, there's something that's come up into my mind.

Counting him, we've now seen Third, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Tenth and Twelfth die. That's half the diary holders down in less than half the series, with two-thirds of the remaining ones (First, Second, Ninth and Eleventh, if I have the story quite straight) having to remain to the end of the game, does it strike anyone else that this story is going at a pretty breakneck pace?

To those who read the manga: does the story slow down at all, or may we be seeing some more Mosaic/Paradox material to fill in some space using Minene and Akise? Do the remaining holders not in the main equation - Seventh and Eighth - put up more of a fight than the ones we've seen so far, or does the battle against Eleventh go on longer than I'm thinking?

The pace slows down a lot once there are only five Diary Holders remaining (the story is still extremely fast, but there are actually long periods of time where no diary owner dies). The "Diary Owner of the Week" formula ends, and the real "Battle Royale" essentially begins.

The Seventh puts up a massive fight.

The Eighth doesn't really put up a fight per say, but the sheer power of their diary keeps them in the game.

The Ninth is awesome. Minene is actually the best out of the twelve IMO.

The Eleventh is a weird case.

Your theory of the final four contenders isn't quite accurate, for two reasons.

1. The Eighth lasts longer than the Eleventh.

2. There is never a "Final Four". It goes from Five to Three in the span of a chapter/half an episode.

They won't be showing too much of Paradox, because it has some serious spoilers for the end of the series (and it's mostly Akise fanservice anyway). The Murumuru skits at the end of the episodes are based on the concept of Paradox, though.

Mosaic is actually really important because it tells you about Minene's motivations and expands on characters like Nishijima and Reisuke (it mainly explains how he got all of his "supplies", which was a glaring plot hole in the series).

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
The pace slows down a lot once there are only five Diary Holders remaining (the story is still extremely fast, but there are actually long periods of time where no diary owner dies). The "Diary Owner of the Week" formula ends, and the real "Battle Royale" essentially begins.

The Seventh puts up a massive fight.

The Eighth doesn't really put up a fight per say, but the sheer power of their diary keeps them in the game.

The Ninth is awesome. Minene is actually the best out of the twelve IMO.

The Eleventh is a weird case.

Your theory of the final four contenders isn't quite accurate, for two reasons.

1. The Eighth lasts longer than the Eleventh.

2. There is never a "Final Four". It goes from Five to Three in the span of a chapter/half an episode.

I see, that helps flesh things out quite nicely. Thanks.

Agreed on Minene, by the way.

Mosaic is actually really important because it tells you about Minene's motivations and expands on characters like Nishijima and Reisuke (it mainly explains how he got all of his "supplies", which was a glaring plot hole in the series).

Then I definitely see that factoring it into the series works in everyone's favor. Didn't the anime gloss over Reisuke's supplies though, or did I just miss the answer for it?

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
Just watched episode 11. Fourth's initial plan to force the two of them to become criminals seems kind of half-baked. What if Yuno just walked up and shot him in the head instead of the chest? (which was also dumb that she didn't)

I think he was assuming that she wasn't a good shot, which she doesn't seem to be (she only hit his ear when she did aim for his head). Either way, even if she did hit him in the head and kill him, the entire Sakurami City police force would be upon them in a way that would probably dwarf what happened.

Remember that he was covering his bases by attempting to get Minene on his side in case he died for his son, not suspecting that she would betray him.

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
The police force ended up on them regardless.

That's true.

Either way, though, given the nature of his diary, it seems to me he had to take a risk to get them into its range.

thesmilewolfy

pokemon videographer
Then I definitely see that factoring it into the series works in everyone's favor. Didn't the anime gloss over Reisuke's supplies though, or did I just miss the answer for it?

Well coming out in january are the Mirai Nikki DVD's, and the synopsis says they're the "unedited" versions, since they were too long for TV.

So I'm hoping they show that bit of Reisuke, as well as the Murumuru skit of how tenth got his Diary, since I don't remember seeing that.

If anyone wants a link, I cbb, so look for on of those anime charts for winter 2012 and go to the OVA section.

ForeverFlame

Well, he didn't have a DEAD END flag, and Yuno didn't change the future when she entered the room. So he was never fated to die.

Sort of like how Yuki was confident that he would kill the Sixth. He didn't have a DEAD END flag, so it was guaranteed that he would survive the encounter.

Simipour

<('.'<) (>'.')>
I never read the manga, but I'm loving this show so far. It's nice to be on edge for the next episode for once, instead of waiting for Naruto to pump out another cringe worthy awful filler.(I actually haven't seen the most recent 2, I couldn't bear it any longer.)

Also, was Yuno even attempting to kill the fourth? She did take on shot at the head, but after all this it's hard to believe she is a bad shot.

The 12th diary user was awesome. Having not read the manga, I was assuming he would be the main villain as he ominously approached the ninth. It was a very refreshing change to see he was just another kook.

thatguycharizard34

so AWH-SOME /)^ɛ^(\
Episode 1 was just masses of plot twist in one FUGDIN' amazing episode. Time for episode 2...