• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Future improvements to the games

SimH8

They probably won't do that because HMs reflect the idea of Pokemon helping humans. If you could just use items to clear obstacles, then what do you need Pokemon for?

I see what you mean, but pokemon still help humans by battling. And I reckon most fans would prefer a system that is efficient than one that requires a moveslot taken up. Maybe if pokemon could learn HM's but it doesn't take up a moveslot, so pokemon can learn 4 battle moves or 1/2 outside of battle abilities.

ECM

I see what you mean, but pokemon still help humans by battling. And I reckon most fans would prefer a system that is efficient than one that requires a moveslot taken up. Maybe if pokemon could learn HM's but it doesn't take up a moveslot, so pokemon can learn 4 battle moves or 1/2 outside of battle abilities.

That's a pretty good idea. I think another way they can do it is have it where your battle party is still 6 Pokémon, but add maybe two or three extra spaces in your party that don't participate in battles, but can accompany for whatever reason, be it for HM slaves, or Pokémon you need to activate an event with, but don't want to use in battle.

carboncopy

(-) (-) (-) (-)
I've said this many a time, but make items that eventually negate the need for HMs.

That is, save up enough Pokedollars, or whatever, and you can buy, say, a hatchet, that means you don't need Cut anymore. That way you still have the HM in desperate situations but when you can afford it, just buy the item to replace it and it can just be a key item, rather than having HM slaves. Also it gives an actual use of the stockpiles of money your character saves up all game.

This one is actually pretty cool. With this you don't need necessarily HM slaves, but, will need them if you don't have enough money.

Masterofknees

I've said this many a time, but make items that eventually negate the need for HMs.

That is, save up enough Pokedollars, or whatever, and you can buy, say, a hatchet, that means you don't need Cut anymore. That way you still have the HM in desperate situations but when you can afford it, just buy the item to replace it and it can just be a key item, rather than having HM slaves. Also it gives an actual use of the stockpiles of money your character saves up all game.

I support this, one of the biggest things that bug me with Pearl/Diamond is that you need so many damn HMs to get through it, Defog, Strength, Fly, Cut, Surf, Waterfall. Ruby and Sapphire too with all those damn water HMs, Surf, Waterfall, Dive, and in the Victory Road there's the need for Rock Smash, Flash and Strength too. If not give us items to replace them, then just make them able to be overwritten without the need for a move deleter, never really understood why it needed to have such consequences to teach your Pokémon a HM. They've gotten better at it with 5th Gen, it's a step forward for sure, now they just need to go all the way.

Then there's of course the no brainer things like multiple save files, being able to go your own way in the story, etc. A thing I'd like to see in the story is a rival who is actually an enemy of yours again, like with Gen I and II, doesn't feel like the person actually is your rival when he's just your friend. I wanted to kick my rival's butt in Red and Gold, that's hard to want to when your rival is actually your friend (though I have admittedly found the rival in Pearl and Black 2 very obnoxious).

Inferno Vulpix

Despicably Average
There are two, kind of insignificant, things that I am really hoping for.
1) Pokemon cries be replaced by their name. They obviously couldn't have done that in Gen 1 with the budget they had, but they could get away with it at this point and it's something I'd enjoy.
2) A dodge animation. It'd just be really cool to have the attack be dodged as the opposing Pokemon jumps off to the side.
With the new aesthetics in X and Y, these seem like viable ideas to an extent, but it's really just something I hope for.

The Benmeister

Master of Magnet
1) Pokemon cries be replaced by their name. They obviously couldn't have done that in Gen 1 with the budget they had, but they could get away with it at this point and it's something I'd enjoy.

Budget was never an issue, it was the limitations of the console. Pure sound recordings take up a lot of space on a game. I'd argue that this would even still be a problem on the DS, however I would assume that by the 3DS if they really wanted, they could put in all the Pokemon cries.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
There's also the fact that Pokemon have different names in different languages, and localization would mean re-recording the majority of the cries for each language the game is localized in.