• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Future Let's Go Remakes Discussion Thread (ex. Johto or Hoenn)

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
So one of the biggest reasons I've noticed against the Let's Go titles is Kanto-catering. I find this kind of understandable, GameFreak has been giving too much attention to Kanto over other regions, like Johto or Unova being some fanfavorites. However at the same time, I'm actually very excited to see Kanto remade with more detail and cinematic moments invested into it than the FireRed and LeafGreen remakes that makes Kanto feel less like the emptiest region of the Pokemon series and more like a grand character of it's own design similar to the Unova region actually. There's also the fact that GameFreak does intend to dedicate their resources into making Let's Go a separate series from the core titles. Many fans assume what this means is basically HD 3D remakes of Johto and Hoenn with the Let's Go playstyle.

Yeah it unfortunately possibly means that the lack of wild battles and the easy difficulty might be a norm of the Let's Go series but at the same time this also means we will get 3D HD remakes of regions that aren't Kanto, regions that have never gotten the 3D or HD treatment like Johto or Hoenn. There comes the question of Sinnoh, which will likely both get an HD core game and Let's Go title. Personally if it's anything like GameFreak says they intend for Gen 8, I'd imagine a core Sinnoh remake would be more closer to SM's gridless style that the 8th gen will be succeding from and that the Let's Go Sinnoh title will follow the traditional grid-style in 3D. Or not, it's really up to speculation but the possibilities of seeing remakes of older regions again with new technology is intriguing.

So what do you think? Are you excited for this possible future or disappointed by it?

Last edited:

Sabre_King

I would be excited for this games to become their own series I think eventually if it becomes a hit that we can see a new series development. I think the reason we couldn’t see other regions is because it takes time for Niantic to add future generation Pokémon to the games. I think if anything a cool aspect they could have done which would have been a reverse from gold and silver is first go to kanto and then open up jhoto to us afterwards instead of the reverse. This may have peaked a lot of interested but it’s understanable if the company just wanted to remake yellow for now. But I hope in the future they do remake games like this it’s more simplified and I think they could make the transition to more core gamers easier if you slowly add back other mechanics like held items or abilities.

PirateKing

I dont think we'll get future games specifically centered around PoGo, but I do think we're getting a new series where GameFreak is going to be able to take some huge risks and change some long standing mechancics and experiment and see what works.
For example, Lets Go Pikachu/Eevee has them changing up wild battles with another system.

Next game is probably a Johto game, maybe that bring back wild battles will replace trainer battles with a Real Time Battle System.
Maybe the Hoenn games will feature a voiced protaganist with dialouge options and a scripted story
Maybe Sinnoh games will have a rotating party of people, each with their own set of specialized Pokemon, like the team in a Final Fantasy game.

Stuff like that, big changes they wouldnt essentially want to incorporate into the main series, because people will flip out when something radically different happens, but have a whole series dedicated to experimenting and trying new things all while giving their past regions a new coat of paint.

shoz999

I don't know about you guys but hearing all those rumors of new Mega Evolutions for Gen 1 Pokemon makes me think this is a wonderful opportunity to give out mega evolutions to Pokemon that fans have often demanded for, most notably Typhlosion, Feraligatr and Meganium of the Johto region.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Please no. The Kanto pandering is bad, but it's far from the only problem with LGPE. The games are so hyper-casualized that they offer pretty much nothing positive over a normal remake and in fact would likely take more things away. This series is going to butcher pretty much anything it touches, let it die.

If anything, we need a second branch of the series that does the complete opposite. The main games are already casual enough, there's no real need to get even worse. But there's no game that really satisfies the hardcore side of the series right now, especially in terms of making the game more realistic and explorable. Experimenting with things like open world and real time battling would be a MUCH more worthwhile use of a second branch than trying to bring Go to console. Trying to get Go fans to buy a Switch is just a fundamentally bad idea to begin with, so this series deserves to fail and be a one off.

Sabre_King

Please no. The Kanto pandering is bad, but it's far from the only problem with LGPE. The games are so hyper-casualized that they offer pretty much nothing positive over a normal remake and in fact would likely take more things away. This series is going to butcher pretty much anything it touches, let it die.

If anything, we need a second branch of the series that does the complete opposite. The main games are already casual enough, there's no real need to get even worse. But there's no game that really satisfies the hardcore side of the series right now, especially in terms of making the game more realistic and explorable. Experimenting with things like open world and real time battling would be a MUCH more worthwhile use of a second branch than trying to bring Go to console. Trying to get Go fans to buy a Switch is just a fundamentally bad idea to begin with, so this series deserves to fail and be a one off.

I don’t see how the main games are so casual aside from the actual story most hardcore aspects is the battling which has been made simpler just for the fact that new players are not overwhelmed by the amount of factors that go into battling. I think let’s go is a good series like I said to transition new players into understanding the hardcore mechanics of battling I mean right now aside from the wild Pokémon capture mechanics the games are pretty true to the original yellow game also minus the addition of mega evolution. Back then in yellow there was no hold items or abilities, both of which make a big role in hardcore battles. If future games were made in the Let’s Go series then this would allow new players to pretty much learn the mechanics all over again. Now granted I still want the same traditional games to be made with more added features but the Let’s Go series could just be a side series to teach the fundamentals as most of us learned if you started from the original gen 1 games. The series would just add the mechanics back in such as adding hold items back like they added in gen 2 and then a third series could add abilities back like in gen 3.

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
This really depends on how the game performs. It is too early to assume that we'll get other Let's Go games.

I honestly would have preferred FRLG HD. Or if only they have just kept the traditional aspects of the games, the future for this would've been a lot brighter. But who knows.

shoz999

I never said it was the only problem. I said it was one of the biggest problems often mentioned. I don't know about you but if GameFreak is going with a particular direction I think their going, I think you'll actually enjoy it with a sense of "security" to it. From GameFreak's Point of View, the main traditional series will continue the technical route without having to worry about pandering too much to casuals, like the missing Battle Frontier, while the Let's Go series will cater to casual tastes without having to worry about the idea that a more technical Pokemon RPG experience will isolate casuals.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
This really depends on how the game performs. It is too early to assume that we'll get other Let's Go games.

That is actually exactly what Masuda stated shortly after Let's GO's reveal.

If the game is successful, Let's GO will become its own series. Thus, Gen 2 would probably be next RIP Gen 4 remake.

Given Game Freak loves formulas, I think we could assume the two-starter pattern would continue. Thus, two new pokemon would be used for the Gen 2 games. I could only guess who, because I cannot imagine which two pokemon from Gen 2 they could possibly use. Preferably, though, I'd like Tyranitar and Mareep, with both being able to evolve.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I don’t see how the main games are so casual aside from the actual story most hardcore aspects is the battling which has been made simpler just for the fact that new players are not overwhelmed by the amount of factors that go into battling.

Because they hold your hand and restrict your freedom pretty much the entire game and they've taken to minimizing everything. The maps are linear and force you in one direction, they constantly force tutorials down your throat as if you had the memory of a goldfish, they've reduced extra content more and more over time because they think the fans have no attention span, things like that.

I think let’s go is a good series like I said to transition new players into understanding the hardcore mechanics of battling I mean right now aside from the wild Pokémon capture mechanics the games are pretty true to the original yellow game also minus the addition of mega evolution. Back then in yellow there was no hold items or abilities, both of which make a big role in hardcore battles. If future games were made in the Let’s Go series then this would allow new players to pretty much learn the mechanics all over again. Now granted I still want the same traditional games to be made with more added features but the Let’s Go series could just be a side series to teach the fundamentals as most of us learned if you started from the original gen 1 games. The series would just add the mechanics back in such as adding hold items back like they added in gen 2 and then a third series could add abilities back like in gen 3.

The main storylines are supposed to already be doing that. That's part of the reason regional dexes exist, to give you a small subset of Pokemon to work with so you can learn the game before opening you up to the whole shebang. Forcibly limiting you to the 1st gen Pokemon doesn't really help you any more than a regular regional dex does. And mechanics like hold items and abilities aren't exactly unintuitive to the point where they need to flat out remove them. If they need an entire other game to teach kids the basics of this game then they're just bad teachers.

I never said it was the only problem. I said it was one of the biggest problems often mentioned. I don't know about you but if GameFreak is going with a particular direction I think their going, I think you'll actually enjoy it with a sense of "security" to it. From GameFreak's Point of View, the main traditional series will continue the technical route without having to worry about pandering too much to casuals, like the missing Battle Frontier, while the Let's Go series will cater to casual tastes without having to worry about the idea that a more technical Pokemon RPG experience will isolate casuals.

Again though, the main series was already casual to begin with. We don't really need a branch of the series that's even more casual when they were already doing a lot of the same things in the main series to begin with. The elements actually unique to LG could either be added to the main games or aren't really needed, so LG is going to look somewhat redundant next to the main branch. If they're going for two branches of the series, it'd be better for them to develop two distinct gameplay styles that have as little overlap as possible. That's where elements like open world and turn based battling make for a much better basis for a second branch, those elements are divisive enough to appeal to two different styles of play while still offering their own merits.

shoz999

Because they hold your hand and restrict your freedom pretty much the entire game and they've taken to minimizing everything. The maps are linear and force you in one direction, they constantly force tutorials down your throat as if you had the memory of a goldfish, they've reduced extra content more and more over time because they think the fans have no attention span, things like that.

The main storylines are supposed to already be doing that. That's part of the reason regional dexes exist, to give you a small subset of Pokemon to work with so you can learn the game before opening you up to the whole shebang. Forcibly limiting you to the 1st gen Pokemon doesn't really help you any more than a regular regional dex does. And mechanics like hold items and abilities aren't exactly unintuitive to the point where they need to flat out remove them. If they need an entire other game to teach kids the basics of this game then they're just bad teachers.

Again though, the main series was already casual to begin with. We don't really need a branch of the series that's even more casual when they were already doing a lot of the same things in the main series to begin with. The elements actually unique to LG could either be added to the main games or aren't really needed, so LG is going to look somewhat redundant next to the main branch. If they're going for two branches of the series, it'd be better for them to develop two distinct gameplay styles that have as little overlap as possible. That's where elements like open world and turn based battling make for a much better basis for a second branch, those elements are divisive enough to appeal to two different styles of play while still offering their own merits.
True but what I said is not neccesarily about what we need, it's about what GameFreak thinks they need and this looks like the best compromise if this is the direction they are going.

Last edited:

Tsukuyomi56

Emblian Royalty
Sadly it may be likely LGPE will be a one-off, Johto is the last region with that nostalgia factor and it already has an excellent remake in HGSS (bad level curve and 2D graphics aside). Think the first Hoenn games was released at a time where it is not cool to like Pokemon so a Let's Go Hoenn game may not have as much bite as Kanto/Johto...not to mention that ORAS tends to be seen as "good but could be better" by many fans.

Last edited:

zJhonnyHT

Johto lover!
i don't think we're gonna have more "let's go games". perhaps we'll have johto remakes, but that will take a long time (hoenn remakes are recently, so i think that gf dont will remake again) in front it, we have the 8th generation game and the diamond pearl remake (which will be like the core games, not "let's go style")

shoz999

i don't think we're gonna have more "let's go games". perhaps we'll have johto remakes, but that will take a long time (hoenn remakes are recently, so i think that gf dont will remake again) in front it, we have the 8th generation game and the diamond pearl remake (which will be like the core games, not "let's go style")
It's just a hunch but if they are going this route, I predict will get Johto Let's Go Remakes by the 9th generation in order to have more marketable focus on the possible 4th gen remakes.

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
My biggest issue with Let's Go Pikachu & Eevee is how hard it's pushing nostalgia for Generation 1. I hope Let's Go is a one time occurrence because I don't want to linger in the past for to long. By doing so can cause the series to become stale. I'd rather see the series move forward with new stories, characters, ideas, and Pokemon.

Last edited:

Creyk

Imagine if we only got a shallow go remake of Sinnoh instead of a proper one.

The downgrade...

That is why these games need to flop. So atrocities like this won't happen.

Phillies

The downgrade...

I don't think you have to worry about this. There is to much money for them to make doing a proper Sinnoh remake especially when they can still do a Go remake later on.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder

The downgrade...

Exactly. Part of what Sinnoh appealing was that it actually DID try to make the game as open, explorable, and full of content as possible. It's like the anti-LG. Without that, Sinnoh's actually kind of a bland region. A LG Sinnoh game would ruin a part of Sinnoh's identity, so it's best that they avoid applying that design philosophy to the region. It's a total mismatch.

Pokemon Power

For Gen II, I'd pick Pichu and Togepi as the central Pokemon. They were very popular at the time. For Gen III, Plusle and Minun. I'm not thinking about Gen IV and beyond because we don't have remakes for those yet.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master

The downgrade...

My god, you have got to stop with the fearmongering.

We don't even know if we're going to get a Gen 4 remake, and you're already convinced Let's GO is going to infect it. Do you know how insane that sounds? You're literally judging the quality of a game that doesn't even exist.

For Gen II, I'd pick Pichu and Togepi as the central Pokemon. They were very popular at the time. For Gen III, Plusle and Minun. I'm not thinking about Gen IV and beyond because we don't have remakes for those yet.

I could see Togepi as a starter pokemon (and I'd probably choose it), though I pray Pikachu doesn't get a second consecutive game. That would be overkill.

Plusle and Minun I'm not so sure about. They're not all that popular, and they certainly don't scream 'Partner Pokémon.' For Gen III, I think I'd choose Latios and Latias. Sure, they're legendaries, but I can't think of any other pokemon that would make better partners in a Let's GO-style Gen III remake.

Status
Not open for further replies.