1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

G/S/C Girl Cooltrainer

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by le pamplemousse, Jun 24, 2006.

1. Hi, so I wanted to draw a picture of the ingame female cooltrainer sprite in the G/S/C games:

[​IMG]

I made the colors all lighter becuase I wanted the picture to be light and cute. Also, It was hard to tell from the sprite what her hair was exactly like, so I interpreted it as close as I could.

Please comment :)

Last edited: Jun 25, 2006
  2. GrassForStarter

GrassForStarter Cascade Trainer

Really nice art style! The colors fit to the GSC colors in some kind of way. The only thing that bigs me is that the square around her is cutting off part of her head, as if she's leaning it against the edge, Otherwise there isn't very much to say, it looks fantastic! It looks light and cute, as you intended :D.

3. Raunchy_fad

Raunchy_fad Ooh, maaaan!

I love your art, le pamplemousse. I love this picture, too. Know what she makes me think of? She makes me think of Mary Tyler Moore.

4. Tip The Waitress

Tip The Waitress Nooo! I'm too young!

Nice work! Has a very realistic, portaity feel to it!

5. Samayowa

Samayowa you amaze me.

I love your style.

6. Thank you for the comments ^_^

Yeah, I see what you mean. There is a very slight curve in the hair, but when your zoomed out its hard to see. I edited it a little in my first post by trying to show the curve more, but it didn't really do much XD

Thank you, and your right, she does look like Mary Tyler Moore.

7. This is really good!!! It reminds me of how in G/S/C they had nights AND mornings. It looks like an ACTUAL person ACTUALY walking around in an ACTUAL world. I like it. *applaudes*

8. Clockworkz

Clockworkz SURPRISE BUTTSECKS

Very, very nice. I wish I had your CGing skills :(
    Now then. The only things I see wrong that bother me are her hands and her eyes.
    The hands: Either the thumb is too long, or her other digits are far too short. Pick one of those: thumb smaller or fingers bigger, and it'll look great.
    The eyes: I think they're a little too small and a little too far apart. But that just might be my personal preference, I dunno.
    That's my advice; take it or leave it.

Also, mind sharing with us how you CG the hair? I've been looking for a good way to do that, and I have yet to find one. My hair coloring on images sucks.

9. Thank you both for the comments ^_^ And thank you Clockworkz for the critiques. I tried to fix the hand by lengthing the digits like you suggested. I think it looks better and the edited version is in place of the old one in my first post. Yeah, I see what you mean about the eyes, how could I forget the rule that they should be one eye length apart XD But I tried putting the eyes closer together, and I didn't really like how it made her face look, so I left them the same.

For the hair, first I lay down my base color. Then I add the first shadow using the lasso tool in paint shop pro. I make the outline for the color really jagged so that it looks like strands of hair when zoomed out. Then after the first shadow is put down, I use the smudge tool to lightly smudge the ourline of the shadow. Then I add a darker shadow inside the first one using the same method. Finally, I add the highlights using the lasso tool. I didn't smudge them on this picture. I hope that helped in some way, but its probably pretty confusing because I don't know how to really explain my method. Maybe I'll do a tutorial with pictures if I have time.

10. blueguy

blueguy used Metronome!

That's really beautiful. I love the entire color palette used. It's soft and all flows together perfectly. The pose is good too. You drew the hand and its grasp of the Poké Ball quite well. The only thing I personally dislike is the facial expression... I suppose I'm accustomed and conditioned to seeing larger, more shiney anime eyes... ^_- This is supposed to look a little bit more realistic, no?

11. Not bad....

12. Thank you for the comment ^_^ yeah, I don't really like to draw the huge anime eyes.

Could you please say more. I don't get any feedback or help at all from just not bad.

13. psilocybin

psilocybin Well-Known Member

I really like this. The colors are so soft and lovely!

Though, it looks like you went a little "smudge happy" while coloring her outfit. I find that sort of coloring generally doesn't look that when not used on hair or other textured things [like bark]. Of course, that's just me being nitpicky, if it works for then have at it. That being said, her hair looks wonderful.
    I like her pose and the subtle lineart. I'm not too fond of the font you used though. I think it may be the outline you used or perhaps it looks a little too "plain" compared to the rest of the image. But again, I'm just being nitpicky.

Great work. You know I liked it though. :)