1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Gaining Groudon! (373)

Discussion in 'Pokémon - Advanced Battle' started by Serebii, Oct 23, 2004.

1. Charizard Champion#06

Charizard Champion#06 Spiral Warrior

2. Kamex

Kamex Team Rocket's rockin

Finally, I've been waiting for this episode forever. Pardon my absence in the past few episode reviews (namely, the first Pokemon Advanced Battle ones).

Okay, voices. I imagined the leaders to sound somewhat like that. I noticed that Maxie sounded almost exactly like Hanson, too, but it's a pretty good voice. I can tell 4Kids were trying to make them sound special, Archie and Maxie, and that's good. And it's obvious Sean Schemmel played Archie (good thing it wasn't that deep Yami Yugi voice... that would have been terrible). Sean did Archie well, with the rough-raspiness and everything. The only problem I had with his voice was that Sean gave it that same big-oafiness that he seems to give every dub character he has except Goku. o_O Whatever, it's a unique voice, and I like it.

Okay, voices aside, now. I agree it might have been better to have the anime a little closer to the games and have the long-forgotten Steven come back with Wallace (who I thought was a really cool guy in the games). Don't get me wrong, I love seeing Lance again, but they could have put him somewhere else. Or why not have all three of them here together? XD

Anyway, Team Aqua has always been my favorite of the two teams, so it amused me how Team Aqua dominated the episode. Kaiogre destroyed everything! Cool. Strange, though, how it was so easy to capture the Pokemon. And how about telling us how and where they got the legendary Pokemon in the first place, eh? Harland (or Tabitha, bleah, still has that female name) and Shelly were looking for them before. Remember? "G-signals" and "K-signals". Meh.

I liked seeing all the old characters again, like Team Aqua and Magma and Lance, his red Gyaradoes, everyone. And evil Pikachu's on the loose! Well, I hope the end of this two-parter isn't as bad as some people are saying. I'll rate this episode a... should I rate it 8 or 9? I guess 8/10 will do. ^^

3. Faerie

Faerie MONS

Okay. I'm sorry to the fans, but this episode was not as good as I thought it would be. Sure, I'm glad I didn't miss it, as Team Magma and Aqua are my favorite *coughfakecough* villans, but some of the things in the episode were just inexcusably horrid.

Cons:
    First of all, there were the voice actors for teh Matsubusa and Aogiri. Matsubusa's voice was horridly nasal and hard to listen to for thirty minutes, and Aogiri sounded too much like Yami Yugi. Okay, so it was Yami's voice actor, but they still could have done better.

And then there was the leaders' actions. I'll start my rant on with Matsubusa. Satoshi-dan (translation: Team Ash) was sitting on a comfy couch with Mightyenas surrounding them while Matsubusa sat at his desk and revealed his entire frickin' plan to them. Not to mention the Blue Orb was right on Matsubusa's desk where Satoshi-dan could reach it. Sure, the Mightyenas were ugly and all, but Satoshi has that despicable 00ber Pikachu that could have whooped them in three seconds flat, allowing Satoshi to take the Orb. It's happened before, neh? *shot for using Battleschool slang*

And Aogiri? Ugh...He just stood in front of Matsubusa, blabbering his head off for no apparent reason. And he practically waved the Red Orb right under Matsubusa's nose. What kind of villan is he to do that? Sure, he was able to capture Homura and some meaningless grunt, but he insulted (well, I'd harldy call it an insult *cough*) Matsubusa about sending them in to get Groudon when he did the same with Izumi. The wacko hypocrite. And, to top it all off...Was Izumi flirting with him?! O__________O;;;

Now to rant about Ash. As usual, he was intimidated by the dumb ol' Mightyenas and was acting as his usual, reckless self even though his friends were in danger. Well, not really, but they made it seem like they were in danger. *cough* Remember when Pikachu was possessed by the Blue Orb and was going crazy inside that storage container? Ash hugged Pikachu and said "You're gonna be okay!" How does he know Pikachu's going to be okay?! Normally his being naive is amusing, but in this episode it was just unneccesary. TOTALLY unneccesary.

Pros:
    I'll start off this pitifully short list with the scene where Izumi was trying to steal Kyogre. No, Izumi didn't get in by trying to fight them with t3h ugly Carvanna or any of that crud. She knocked them out cold with her bare fists. That's the most awesome thing I think I've ever seen in this show: uncut, non-Pokemon-induced violence from someone in Team Magma or Aqua. Aqua in this case, of course. So they have one one-third evil person on the show, but 'tis enough for me. I practically jumped off my couch when I saw that. Spread da luff. <3

Secondly and lastly, I thought it was a nice twist for the writers to posess Pikachu. I had expected it to be something more along the lines of the video games, but this is actually pretty good. Hmm, maybe the writers actually do have some sense in their heads...

So, that finalizes my rants. Tune in next time for my comments about Kyogre vs. Groudon Part II! *refuses to say the dub name*

Oh, wait. One last thing:
    Don't remind me. Please. ;__;

4. V Faction

V Faction www.faction.com

You scare me. Aogiri and Matsubusa, but no Magma-Dan and Aqua-Dan? Choose something and stick with it!

Also, Archie was voice by none other than Goku himself.

5. Faerie

Faerie MONS

*with an air of injured innocence* It's just a habit to say Team Aqua and Team Magma. I just use the Japanese names of the characters whose Japanese names I know. That's all.

6. Pokemon Fan

Pokemon Fan Knuckle Trainer

It seems the creatures were dormant, hence why once found they could be easily captured (the games pokedex entries say that after a fierce battle Kyogre and Groudon retreated deep within the earth and went dormant). That they were unconscious to start with is shown in how easily Kyogre breaks its restraints once it wakes up.

I don't think it is so bad, it just had worse animation compared to this episode and a lot of fans wanted something more epic, even though the games have a similarly short ending to the whole Magma/Aqua ordeal.

Matsubusa/Maxie wanted to convince the group his actions were righteous, so of course he told them everything. Magma is an extremist group and extremist groups love to tell others their philosophy. Plus, at the time, he knew there was no where they could run even if they tried to grab the orb. Then of course their ship started to get Hyper Beamed.

Maxie doesn't seem all that quick. Besides he had his bodyguards all around him, there would have been no point in rushing for the orb.

Ash didn't seem all that intimidated by Mightyena, the others were.

How on earth could anyone find this upsetting? Pikachu was in a lot of trauma, he had to reassure it and himself. Telling a person in trouble they will be okay is a perfectly normal thing to do. There wouldn't be much reason for someone hurt to try to survive if everyone around them is telling them they'll die. It need not even be a promise, just a hope to give. It seemed a perfectly realistic thing for him to say, and hardly naive.

7. Shadow246

Shadow246 FOR BRAWL!

It was pretty good. Best one since a long time. I liked Archie and Maxie's voices and Kyogre and Groundon were cool too. I would rather have Steven or Wallace in it instead of Lance, but he's still okay. Igive this ep a 9.05/10
    -;257;

8. Juputoru

Juputoru M-m-m-m-onobear?!

Copied from BMGf, which was compied from my LJ. Lazyness 8D

You know the drill. Typed as I watched.

-Maxie sounds...not like I was expecting. At least I don't think I've heard his voice before.
    -Use ancient Pokemon to do "bad stuff"? @_@
    -Wow, Maxie's voice works. :O
    -Remind me again why a GUY is named Tabitha? I thought that was a girl's name...
    -At least they didn't make Kyogre say its name instead of roaring. :p
    -Is it just me, or is Lance's voice different? (It WAS just me :p)
    -And now Pikachu's possesed by the orb. Thus begins one of the worst plot devices in Pokemon...
    -Archie doesn't sound like a pirate? GASP!
    -Lance remembers Ash. Of course.
    -The Mightyena attacked Ash...Team Magma actually seems threatening! O:
    -Mudkip is best against Plusle and Minun? WTF?
    -TEAM ROCKET! 8D Too bad they won't really DO anything...
    -RED GYARADOS!!! 8D
    -OMG! The characters have memories now! :O
    -Not that I mind "ancient" Pokemon, but I want to hear "legendary" at least once :x
    -It's 00ber Pikachu! ...er, 00ber-00ber Pikachu.
    -Bonded with the orb? Eh... ("Bonded with the orb" doesn't sound very cool D8 What's wrong with "fused" or something like that?)
    -Diguising themselves as a wall? TR are ninjas! XD
    -Oh wait, JJ&M were the ones who released Kyogre. Forgot that...
    -This two-parter LOOKS like it'll be amazing. I know better than that.
    -Of COURSE KWB is pimping out the next ep. Why wouldn't they when it's a "major" event? -_-

Am I the only one who hates possessed Pikachu with a passion? It's so...out of place. And it only serves to make the rat important in an arc where it really shouldn't be. I didn't mind Lance too much - it's nice to see old characters come back, and it proves that the memebers of the main case DO have memories! 8D

9. They showed it today at 2:00pm.Seeing Pikachu zap Ash again makes me think of the 1st episode of Pokemon.The episode when Ash gets his starter Pikachu,I mean.

10. Geki

Geki Guest

Really cool episode, I enjoyed it a lot, but I still think the second half is better. Maxie and Archie's dub voice's were good, and at least Lance kept the same one. But wasn't that Tabitha guy from Team Magma named Harley? I thought they called him it in the secret base episode... Posessed Pikachu is awesome, I enjoyed seeing that. Trainer's Choice was wrong like usual, but the little stuck up nOOb kids won't know the difference. I give it

5/5

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2005
  11. V Faction

Harland. Tabitha used to be called Harland and Shelly used to be called Isabelle. That's because rather than going off of the in-game names, 4Kids! instead used English names that were closely tied to their Japanese names (something they often do with most other characters).

Some prefer the old ones. Some are the glad the actual names in use. I'm just happy that they decided to stick with one set, even if Tabitha is pretty uncommon for a man's name.

12. EVIL 4KIDS!!!They destroyed a lot of animes.

13. V Faction

Wait, hold up. Put it into Reverse. Back it up.

Where did you pull that crud from? It better have not been my post. And evil? 4Kids! is about as evil as your momma's casserole.

14. Psychic Venusaur

Psychic Venusaur Pokemon Master

Well.

I liked that Maxie and Archie had unique voices. I thought they were o.k, but as BPM said, Sean Schemmel's Archie voice sounded sort of like a big mindless lug.

Like a lot of people said, it would have been cooler and made more sense if Steven and Wallace were there.

This episode seemed sort of rushed, and the Pikachu fusing with the orb did seem sort of out place.

4Kids certainly didn't "destroy" Pokemon.

8/10

Go Team Magma!

15. Silver Ryu

Silver Ryu ~Aqua Dragon~

Hey, this was a pretty good episode. Kyogre is so cool! ^o^ Lance is awesome. I never realized before how cool he is. :) *overuse of the word "cool"* Glad we got to see Red Gyrados. And personally, I'm glad that they gave the Admins their game names. (even if Tabitha is a weird name for a guy) And I'm also glad they didn't use the "Rose and Indigo orbs" junk. It just doesn't sound right.

9/10. Can't wait for the next part. (I really do say that a lot.)

16. whit19

whit19 Fire boy

This gave me shivers of pain,misery,excitement, and pressure all at once! You thought seeing Naruto's group pass their tests last night was big, this was even bigger!

Uh, no. Just no. You compare the pokemon anime to Naruto? Big mistake... There was nothin excitin about this episode at all and I heard the next episode is trash.

17. Ralts Master

Ralts Master Knight of White Eye

I feel the exact same way.

The Japanese are doing enough of that to cover themselves and 4Kids...

18. Kamex

Kamex Team Rocket's rockin

It really would have been nice if they had started off with the original names. But seeing as as I liked their old names more (actually, I quite like the appropriate name 'Shelly', but Tabitha is completely ludicrous), I kind of miss them.

19. Team Rocket Admin

Team Rocket Admin Well-Known Member

Maxie sounds and looks like an old man. Anyone else think that?

20. FlamingRuby

FlamingRuby The magic of Pokemon

Actually, Maxie reminded me of a higher pitched Jafar (Aladdin/Kingdom Hearts), believe it or not...