• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Galar Dex Controversy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
T110yJL.png

And with that, folks, any claim GameFreak had to competitive balance just went out the window. I'm disappointed that of all 809 Pokemon, the one Pokemon that I was kind of hoping would get the axe didn't...

Ohshi

Banned from Club Penguin
I think the best thing they could have done to explain the changes and the lack of graphical improvements is just be brutally honest about it.

Just admit Pokémon isn’t the company’s biggest priority, and therefore they don’t have the resources to commit to including every Pokémon due to new game mechanics in SwSh like Dynamax etc, or the time to create new and better animations for everything. And on top of that admit that they have struggled adapting to the new hardware and moving on from a strictly handheld format.

You really think they would have ever told the truth? The truth makes them look weak and incompetent. But honestly, it's not even an issue of time or struggling. They just don't want to put in the effort. Save money by not hiring extra staff for the game. It's not like money is an issue for them since they are one of most wealthiest franchises on Earth. Any time, effort, and money would be redirected to the next Pokemon game which would probably still carry the same problems as Sword and Shield, and only have few improvements to get your attention. They could even have a different rotation of Pokemon availability or a slight increase from base Sword and Shield. It's more profitable to make us buy a whole new full price game rather than give us patches like for adding in more Pokemon if the time constraint was really a legit reason.

Anyways, they know some people are just too naive or trusting will just continue to eat up the lies and buy their products.

Last edited:

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
At least those who aren't losing sleep over this aren't sending death threats, rape threats and dog crap to Masuda and Ohmori, and bullying, Tweetstalking and harassing anyone who opposes or disagrees with them.

It isn't the National Dex(An arbitrary PokéDex upgrade) you lot want. It's arbitrarily reverting change backwards to your preferred state of existence at the expense of an artform progressing so you can have more "better" virtual pets, and arbitrarily asking GF to be market Pokémon to your movement instead of the majority of the fanbase, all based on pre-existing based toxic gamer/fandom culture, a false sense of entitlement brought on by correlation(NOT causation), and a fear of change.

This isn't like rights of the oppressed, since gamers(TM) are hobbyists, not an actual oppressable group. Speking of Gamers(TM)...

It's not surprising that this hashtag movement reminds me of GamerGate, given the toxicity on display towards non-white Asian people and similar guerilla cyberwarfare and lying/misrepresenting/fake news.

My theory as to why this nontroversy exists is this:

The lizard parts of the brain overreacting to their stimulation via neural transmissions passing through causes people more susceptible to primal neurological forces of the mind to fear change of ANY kind, and brings out the worst, most primitive parts of humanity.

And before anyone says I'm a bootlicker, I'M NOT HAPPY WITH THE STATE OF THINGS, but I feel that wholesale virtual pet importation isn't a real priority that's worth breaking international law for.

This isn't an issue, and any defense or agreement with this nontroversy means you are condoning mail fraud, doxxing, cyberstalking, bullying, harassment, death threats, rape threats, and multiple other crimes towards Japanese people over the flimsy, untrue excuse of virtual pet import denial that has been proven to be false by the actions taken in its supposed name not matching up to the movement's purported intent.

It ain't a minority of the movement when the majority haven't expelled and disowned supposed troublemakers en masse.
Wow. Good job calling out people sending death threats and rape threats at a place where they're not. Also, this post is such a generalising piece of toxicity it's barely even worth replying to. Seriously, what does any of this have to do with the Galar Dex? What do you even want to achieve with your post?

Here's the thing, aside from a minority so small to be negligible, nobody here condones breaking the law or whatever. I haven't seen anyone on this forum condone that. Pretending that acceptance of that applies to everybody dissatisfied with the decision is grossly generalising and insulting to the large majority of that group. Pretending to understand the motivations of other people and generalising and downgrading them to nothing more than 'primitive parts of humanity' or making this about race is nothing more than adding to toxicity and division. Be against threats all you want, just call out the people actually doing it instead of derailing this thread with it. This thread was about the Galar dex, not about some idiots on 4chan or wherever sending death threats.

Last edited:

Marzbar

At least those who aren't losing sleep over this aren't sending death threats, rape threats and dog crap to Masuda and Ohmori, and bullying, Tweetstalking and harassing anyone who opposes or disagrees with them.

It isn't the National Dex(An arbitrary PokéDex upgrade) you lot want. It's arbitrarily reverting change backwards to your preferred state of existence at the expense of an artform progressing so you can have more "better" virtual pets, and arbitrarily asking GF to be market Pokémon to your movement instead of the majority of the fanbase, all based on pre-existing based toxic gamer/fandom culture, a false sense of entitlement brought on by correlation(NOT causation), and a fear of change.

This isn't like rights of the oppressed, since gamers(TM) are hobbyists, not an actual oppressable group. Speking of Gamers(TM)...

It's not surprising that this hashtag movement reminds me of GamerGate, given the toxicity on display towards non-white Asian people and similar guerilla cyberwarfare and lying/misrepresenting/fake news.

My theory as to why this nontroversy exists is this:

The lizard parts of the brain overreacting to their stimulation via neural transmissions passing through causes people more susceptible to primal neurological forces of the mind to fear change of ANY kind, and brings out the worst, most primitive parts of humanity.

And before anyone says I'm a bootlicker, I'M NOT HAPPY WITH THE STATE OF THINGS, but I feel that wholesale virtual pet importation isn't a real priority that's worth breaking international law for.

This isn't an issue, and any defense or agreement with this nontroversy means you are condoning mail fraud, doxxing, cyberstalking, bullying, harassment, death threats, rape threats, and multiple other crimes towards Japanese people over the flimsy, untrue excuse of virtual pet import denial that has been proven to be false by the actions taken in its supposed name not matching up to the movement's purported intent.

It ain't a minority of the movement when the majority haven't expelled and disowned supposed troublemakers en masse.
Virtual pet import denial?

Such a troll. Hope it was worth the effort.

Erron Black

The Outlaw
Taking the time to do so would take away time that those developers could also spend working on future titles.
The thing is, they HAVE to work on the rest of the Pokemon for the next game anyway.(I doubt the missing Pokemon in SwSh will also miss out on next year's titles) Meaning, there's basically nothing preventing them from including them via patches into Sword and Shield, and it would take minimal effort at that to code them into SwSh.

It'd be a win/win for them as they'd be able to please everyone upset by missing Pokemon. So if they don't end up doing this, I'd just laugh, because it'd just show they genuinely don't care about games once they release.

JW1004

Some other things that came to mind about this isuue:
-GF has very poor communication skills with their audience
The communication really has been poor, especially since this move basically went against everything they have been doing and saying the last years. I mean they basically made it possible to transfer Pokémon from every gen to gen 7. They even talked about that the lack of connectivity between Gen II and Gen III was one of the things they wish they could have prevented or done differently if I remember it right. And then they just dropped a bomb like this without proper communication or good or atleast understandable reasoning.

JLK2707

I don’t
I think @Ignition said my thoughts on the issue better than I can probably state it. At the end of the day we all play Pokemon for different reasons so the decision affects people differently. People are allowed to have a positive, neutral or negative opinion on the Dexit issue. That's fine. They are allowed to purchase/not purchase SwSh. That's also fine. What's not fine is people insulting others for having a view different than them. Going on to the main Pokemon subreddit and saying something neutral or even positive about SwSh is likely to get you downvoted into oblivion. Twitter is a dumpster fire that crossed the line several times on both sides (more so on the #bringbacknationaldex).

I don't like the culling of the dex and removal of megas (mainly because unlike Z-moves they were shown to be multi-regional and a more integral part of the lore of the Pokemon World as a whole), but I can't align myself with the #bringbacknationaldex movement with the way a lot of people have been acting on that side (not saying that there haven't been jerks on the opposing sides).

Fair enough

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
The thing is, they HAVE to work on the rest of the Pokemon for the next game anyway.(I doubt the missing Pokemon in SwSh will also miss out on next year's titles) Meaning, there's basically nothing preventing them from including them via patches into Sword and Shield, and it would take minimal effort at that to code them into SwSh.

It'd be a win/win for them as they'd be able to please everyone upset by missing Pokemon. So if they don't end up doing this, I'd just laugh, because it'd just show they genuinely don't care about games once they release.
That's assuming the work for Sword and Shield would be the same or largely the same as it would be for other future titles, which I'm not so sure is the case with them most likely also excluding pokémon that were in Let's Go Pikachu and Let's Go Eevee.

T110yJL.png

And with that, folks, any claim GameFreak had to competitive balance just went out the window. I'm disappointed that of all 809 Pokemon, the one Pokemon that I was kind of hoping would get the axe didn't...

To be fair, I don't think Toxapex is all that broken, and if anything Dynamaxing is more of a nerf to it than a buff, because any Electric type around will be able to set up Electric Terrain while attacking it, and same for Psychic types and their Psychic Terrain. Toxapex is horribly frustrating to fight against and GameFreak ought to fix it so that there is some stall-breaking mechanic that ends endless Toxapex mirror matches (like ending the battle as a draw after ten turns of no lasting damage, Haze has too much PP for this to be resolved otherwise), but there is a reason that Toxapex fails to break into the top 30 in either singles or doubles on the battle spot (although it wouldn't surprise me if it is quite close to the top 30 in singles). It's just too passive and can't get through anything with a poison immunity.

That said, balance indeed doesn't remotely seem to be a deciding factor behind deciding what goes in and what doesn't. Hopefully they do rebalance some of the pokémon available. Jangmo-o, Steenee, and especially Noibat really need some buffs for the story mode if available early (although Noibat really needs a middle form on top of getting Dragon moves by level). Jangmo-o was balanced for being available late in the game, early on it barely gets any moves by level, it takes until level 17 where it gets Dragon Tail, before which it only has Tackle as a damaging move (and Dragon Tail is inaccurate, has negative priority, and is worthless for catching) and it evolves into Hakamo-o late. Steenee is just underpowered for being a second form, it has stats more suitable for a first stage, and it doesn't evolve early enough (like certain bug types) to balance that out.

Last edited:

Marzbar

Classic "No, you're X" deflection.

"I didn't see it, and it's not happening here, so it didn't happen" There are rules here to prevent that, and GF staff don't have accounts, either.
Pick and watch any tweet that is vagely Masuda-related, look at the part that Twitter warns you about, then refresh. I've seen it enough to know it's true before Masuda left Twitter for a time due to the spam he was receiving, which INCLUDED THREATS TO KILL HIM.

I'm saying that this(The Galar Dex"Controversy") isn't one. It was made up, inflamed and force-fed by 4chan to get lulz out of Pokémon fans, a known "herd" of lulcowz(In their terms).

The whole thing is one engineered lulz milking prank so they can claim to be members and act sociopathically towards people they don't like, knowing people will believe it was real and act according to plan, and the trolls subsequently blend in with the angry lizards. It's the QAnon effect. Social engineering.

And you're playing right into it by being the lizard brained people they prey on.

Thanks for proving my point.

And @Marzbar...are you saying Pokémon are more than virtual pets in the games? Please elaborate on what higher existence coded images "live" on.
Never been on 4chan on my life. I’m not being fed by trolls. I’m genuinely annoyed by Gamefreak.

Stop trying to be clever. If we’re just death-threatening fools fed by 4chan trolls who take virtual pets too seriously, then you’re in the wrong place and you’re wasting your time here.

Doppelgänger

Superancient Member

You realize race has nothing to do with why fans are angry, don't you? You shouldn't dare imply Dexit is similar to Gamergate, because there are important differences that make one far more alarming than the other.

Marzbar

1. Never has this issue ever been about race or hatred against Asians. You are making up stuff to stir more controversy.
2. You don’t even know what any of our ethnic backgrounds are.
3. Pretty sure the art designer of Sword and Shield is a white guy.
4. The Japanese Pokemon fans are just as upset and angry as non-Japanese fans, perhaps more so.
5. Go away.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
That's assuming the work for Sword and Shield would be the same or largely the same as it would be for other future titles, which I'm not so sure is the case with them most likely also excluding pokémon that were in Let's Go Pikachu and Let's Go Eevee.

To be fair, I don't think Toxapex is all that broken, and if anything Dynamaxing is more of a nerf to it than a buff, because any Electric type around will be able to set up Electric Terrain while attacking it, and same for Psychic types and their Psychic Terrain. Toxapex is horribly frustrating to fight against and GameFreak ought to fix it so that there is some stall-breaking mechanic that ends endless Toxapex mirror matches (like ending the battle as a draw after ten turns of no lasting damage, Haze has too much PP for this to be resolved otherwise), but there is a reason that Toxapex fails to break into the top 30 in either singles or doubles on the battle spot (although it wouldn't surprise me if it is quite close to the top 30 in singles). It's just too passive and can't get through anything with a poison immunity.

That said, balance indeed doesn't remotely seem to be a deciding factor behind deciding what goes in and what doesn't. Hopefully they do rebalance some of the pokémon available. Jangmo-o, Steenee, and especially Noibat really need some buffs for the story mode if available early (although Noibat really needs a middle form on top of getting Dragon moves by level). Jangmo-o was balanced for being available late in the game, early on it barely gets any moves by level, it takes until level 17 where it gets Dragon Tail, before which it only has Tackle as a damaging move (and Dragon Tail is inaccurate, has negative priority, and is worthless for catching) and it evolves into Hakamo-o late. Steenee is just underpowered for being a second form, it has stats more suitable for a first stage, and it doesn't evolve early enough (like certain bug types) to balance that out.
Uh, Steenee does not need buffs. It evolves into the far more powerful Tsareena by level 29. That's not even mid-game usually.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Uh, Steenee does not need buffs. It evolves into the far more powerful Tsareena by level 29. That's not even mid-game usually.
I'm not saying Tsareena is underpowered, Tsareena is powerful. I'm saying the Steenee stage is too weak. A pokémon like Rowlet evolves far earlier than that, and Rowlet has similar stats to Steenee.

And at least to me level 29 is already beyond mid-game for me. In Alola I was just ahead of Tapu Village if I recall correctly when I was at that level, about half-way through Ula'Ula Island. And in the other game I played recently, Crystal, I was at the 8th gym around that level.

Last edited:

Erron Black

The Outlaw
Assuming we get a title drop next year, it'll no doubt be the same generation as SwSh, and have similar compatibility, à la XY + ORAS or SuMo/USUM. Meaning the likelihood of them just outright reusing assets from SwSh is basically a 99.9% likelihood. To think that next year's game would be marginally different from Sword/Shield work-wise is outlandish. If ORAS and USUM were essentially identical to their predecessors in basically every department, then we can pretty much assume the same for 2020's title(s).

In other words, the assets/models they finalize for missing Pokemon in SwSh for the 2020 games(let's be real, there will be games next year) are probably being worked on as we speak. It's only sensible to simply code those Pokemon in batches into SwSh via updates and allow them to be transferred from Home > SwSh. It's a win/win for GameFreak and the fanbase, and it's not like they'd be going so far out of their way to make it happen that it would interfere with the work on their future titles.

The only problem here is that GameFreak never does ANYTHING to a game once it releases other than fix gamebreaking issues. For example, Pokemon duplication has been an ongoing glitch for ages now, and they don't bother to try and fix it because it doesn't impede progress or corrupt save files.

Also, before anyone says anything: Data/Storage is not an issue at all and porting in ~300+ Pokemon is 101% possible and would not be problematic at all.

-basically all of your rambling-
Big words don't make you seem any smarter.

Also the irony with your signature/tag and your posts here is beyond laughable. "Let people enjoy things" and you're here essentially telling people whom are upset about the fact that Pokemon will be missing from SwSh that they're trolly + whiny, and you're completely disregarding basically everyone's own opinions. NOT only that, but you're just straight up insulting everyone while you're at it instead of forming a decent argument or counterpoint.

We want to enjoy SwSh, and we want to enjoy it with the Pokemon we want to. Just like we've been able to literally every single game before, let people enjoy things, the way they want to.

Last edited:

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Enough. Continue this arguing and the thread will be locked. This warning is a general one directed at everyone.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
I was thinking the same thing.

Thread's been locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.