• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

GALAR REGION Discussion & Speculation Thread

sunny phoenix

I don't think they have quite as strong a modern culture as the UK.

I didnt know modern was a thing for pkmn regions. Expect from a modern town/city or two all of the previous regions serve a more rural approach with a lot of mythological and historical elements... And Galar seems to be going this approach too, at least from the things we saw in the trailer...

DjautheJackal

The Anubian Jackal
I didnt know modern was a thing for pkmn regions. Expect from a modern town/city or two all of the previous regions serve a more rural approach with a lot of mythological and historical elements... And Galar seems to be going this approach too, at least from the things we saw in the trailer...

The theme of this one is the Industrial Revolution, which is probably why they picked the inventor of the Industrial Revolution.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I don't think they have quite as strong a modern culture as the UK.

Can you honestly tell me you could identify the references of real-life regions of Japan in the first four Pokémon games?

Strong modern culture is rather irrelevant, given most players know next to nothing about the location used for a region.

DjautheJackal

The Anubian Jackal
Can you honestly tell me you could identify the references of real-life regions of Japan in the first four Pokémon games?

Strong modern culture is rather irrelevant, given most players know next to nothing about the location used for a region.

Nah I couldn't, they aren't really important. Just seems the best country to use for the story theme they seem to be going for.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.

Here's the Gamexplain analysis of the Galar region's map! They are a very trustworthy source of information known for their incredibly thorough analyses.

On close inspections, there's actually more pathways than meets the eye. It will probably be barred from access at different points of the games but nonlinear options are a possibility.

Last edited:

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
What would y'all like the pseudo legendary type of the region to be?
We are going get some like a dragon type pseudo-legendary Pokemon in the Galar-chihõ region likely.

ebevan91

I hope it's something other than dragon but we all know it'll probably be dragon. Wouldn't mind it to be fairy but then it would have an advantage over the dragon pseudos. Maybe something that would be more neutral vs. them.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
I could see Volcanion being a catchable legendary in this game, along the lines of Deoxys in Alpha Sapphire/Omega Ruby.

Not gonna happen. The entire point of Mythicals is that they're extremely rare and thus can't be encountered in-game.

ORAS was released well over a decade after Deoxys was made available in the games. Volcanion, on the other hands, is relatively new.

It was a special one-time thing, presumably to reference all those "you can go to space to catch Deoxys" rumors from way back in the Gen III days.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
I don't really care much for types but for me I would like to see more legendaries that are more local to specific areas including the mascots themselves instead of something regional. The only time we've ever had mascot legendaries that were local legends were Lugia and Ho-Oh whose myths and presence are centralized in specific locations, the Whirlpool Islands and Ecruteak City. I want something like that to make a return in Sword and Shield where much of the legendaries are local legends rather than regional myths where nearly everyone knows about it or says that everyone in the region knows about it.

NovaBrunswick

Canada Connoisseur
I'm a college student so I don't get much time to stay current on the forums . Did you guys already notice the Shield and cog looking art in what I'm assuming to be a temple or altar area? It's on the top left of picture 6 in the above collage . I would guess that it's more placeholder-y on the map, but perhaps the gears are indicative of something unseen within the Galar region . The hopeful part of me wants it to be a portion of the region is actually highly advanced and hidden underground . The more realistic side thinks that it either means nothing or might hint at a design motif for a legendary .

Given Britain’s industrial past, I would probably think that they’re leftovers from when Galar was more of an industrial region. In Britain, there are many water and cotton mills left from the Industrial Revolution in the 19th century, many still working like living museums. So maybe the cogs are from a museum of some sort?

It was a special one-time thing, presumably to reference all those "you can go to space to catch Deoxys" rumors from way back in the Gen III days.

Oh yes, I think I read another thread on this forum a long time ago about all the stupid rumours about Pokémon we believed when we were kids. Another common one was the mysterious white rock seen just outside the Mossdeep Space Centre was hiding Jirachi, and you could ride the space shuttle after 100 successful launches to catch Deoxys.

In one of the other threads @NovaBrunswick was wondering how they might adapt British weather and that got me thinking about what they might do. The weather is something Britain is very passionate about and so this could be a good opportunity for them to add some new weather effects.

All the NPCs in Galar will just bang on about the weather when you talk to them. XD

Last edited:

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
Assuming we get 90-100+ Pokemon this region, just give us 2 psdeuos like gen3.

One can be /Dragon (hopefully Grass/Dragon or Bug/Dragon) and the other a none /Dragon combo.