1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

GALAR REGION Discussion & Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Pokémon Sword & Shield Discussion' started by Wulava, Feb 27, 2019.

1. RileyXY1

RileyXY1 Young Battle Trainer

I'm thinking that this will be Galar's gym order:
    Grass
    Fairy
    Fire
    Ground
    Poison
    Electric
    Steel
    Ice

Trainer Yusuf likes this.
  2. naruciakk

naruciakk Robert von Oliva

Second thing, the region looks like it's much more interconnected by railways, we've seen some of them in previous generations, but this time I hope for some more. Hopefully, they won't use the railways as a lazy tool, diminishing the route traveling. Maybe railways as the equivalent of Fly?

3. Grey Wind

Grey Wind Only rescues maidens

Higher quality artwork of the region.

I'm excited for a UK based region and it seems to have tons of character. It's also a lot different than anything we've had before, and I'm glad they've stopped away from tropical regions after spending the last few years in Hoenn and Alola.

In terms of towns and cities the map seems quite small, but I love large routes and it looks like we're getting those. I'm really interested in the city at the top of the map with the huge tower, the mushroom forest and the smiley faces on the mountain.

Judging by the shape I'd say it's the entire UK.

4. Ultra Beast Lover

Ultra Beast Lover Well-Known Member

The arid place looks like the Altar of the Sun/Moon, it's in front of the glowy place

5. Trainer Yusuf

Trainer Yusuf VolcaniNO

Nope, Wales is just mountainside.

PokeMon2.0 likes this.
  6. CyberBlaziken

CyberBlaziken A Greater Evil

It's a bit... vertical?

Also, I seem to be out of it, but where are you all seeing the Great Britain influence lol?

7. Grey Wind

Grey Wind Only rescues maidens

Eh, I mean it was never gonna be an exact replica. But the size I think is enough to say that they weren't just looking at England for inspiration.

Like... everywhere? The shape, the countryside, the architecture, the football. There's a near exact replica of Big Ben lol.

8. Ultra Beast Lover

Ultra Beast Lover Well-Known Member

Look close at the trailer, you'll see Big Ben

9. Frozocrone

Frozocrone Miraculous!

I'm British (England) and while I'm glad they did a region based on my country...I really wish they had included Ireland and Wales.

The map at a glance seems really linear, unless one loops round to the big city a lot.

It could also be really big but we'll see.

Redstar45 likes this.
  10. UltimateNinja

UltimateNinja ~Ice Cold~

I like the looks and the idea of having an UK region. A colder climate is very welcome after the past games. My only problem though is that the region seems to be too linear (it's literally a line). Also I hope this isn't the whole map and that there's Ireland as a post-game area.

Redstar45 and Kawaii Emolga like this.
  11. Dragalge

Dragalge Lucy Eiscue

I see no person that looks like Ben that is giant! You are all saying but I'm not seeing! Ben! You're supposedly giant! But I can't see you!

Let's see how linear this game is!

12. MalcolmBelmontS

MalcolmBelmontS Well-Known Member

I am thinking Ireland/Wales will be post game locations (Ireland for sure)

Redstar45 likes this.
  13. D*N

D*N Musical Star

I'm a bit confused about where the gyms are on the map. They seem to be those big round buildings. I count like 5 of those on the map.
    1. The grass one is obvious
    2. There seems to be a water one near the lighthouse
    3. A rock one? It's surrounded by water which is surrounded by rocky mountains
    4. One in the mushroom forest could be bug or fairy
    5. The red glowy one in the Scotland city

Missing 3 of them ....

14. CyberBlaziken

CyberBlaziken A Greater Evil

Yeah just glanced over the Region photo. Big Ben and what's going to be the Galar's version of the London Eye?
    Country-side vibes with big cities here and about.

15. KurashiDragon

KurashiDragon Well-Known Member

*Looking at the girl's outfit* *Evil Glares in my direciton* "She's 10, don't get it twistted." -_- "Anyway, where was I? Oh yea! Sweater? Check. Boots? Check. .....Random Mini Skirt? Is this a UK / Europe thing? It looks weird and silly.

Apart from that, I'm a bit sad that the long standing tradition of the long O in region names is dead ;_; I liked that.

I like the design of the Grass and Fire type but the Water type doesn't look right imo. So as per tradition, that's the one I'll pick first.

Am I the only one who thinks the male might be older than the female? Maybe it's just the way their dressed *Evil glares from all around again* ......platonic you jerks! Anyway, the male looks much taller than the female which seems to indicate that he / they might be in their early teens. It might just be the way their dressed though. The male is lightly dressed while the female is mostly *for some weird reason* dressed bulkily. Also, why is the male's backpack literally a briefcase? Wut!

Steampunk City! I have nothing else to say on this subject.

Seems Pokemon walking around behind you isn't gonna be a thing in this game. Making great things in one game just to take them away in the very next. Good to know some things never change Game Freak.

Finally, Sword and Shield. I know Pokemon has never been particularly creative with the game names but this sounds especially generic.

Edit: I know that starter artwork doesn't really indicate to much as to what their final evolutions will be but simply based on the extremely similar artwork and the patch on it's nose, it's final evolution will probably have a secondary fighting type.

16. xEryChan

xEryChan Vampire Girl Staff Member Moderator

Well, back to snowy routes huh?

I really love the layout of the Galar region, it looks awesome.

LilligantLewis and Redstar45 like this.
  17. Italianbaptist

Italianbaptist Informed Casual

Having a British region makes me really want at least a couple of Tolkien shout-outs. His work “On Fairy Stories” sought to disprove the misconception that “Fairy” only consisted of the tiny sprite creatures we’re used to thinking about, so maybe it paves the way for an awesome Elf-Knight fairy type at least.

Thinking bigger we could get a frickin’ Eye-of-Saur-Mon :)

18. Scammel

Scammel Well-Known Member

So glad there's an 'Industrial Revolution town', which seems to incorporate elements of several major cities - London, Birmingham, Manchester etc. Beautiful though it is, the UK isn't just mountains and twee countryside.

LilligantLewis and Redstar45 like this.
  19. Wulava

Wulava Chuffed to bits Staff Member Moderator

The overall theme of the region is industrial revolution, which is pretty nice considering it began in the Great Britain. I really adore the steel, steam and machine aesthetic of the game that contrasts with the nature. Really gives me an actual JRPG vibe. Love it.

LilligantLewis likes this.
  20. Pokegirl Fan~

Pokegirl Fan~ February 15, 2011-February 15, 2020

Gorgeous region; I love that snowy areas seem to be back