• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

GALAR REGION Discussion & Speculation Thread

Ultra Beast Lover

Anyone think the really big house next to our house is Bede's house or is it confirmed to be Hop's house? Seems like it could be Bede's since he gives a rich boy vibe.
Pretty sure that's Hop's house

aerial_ace

Something i noticed in the trailer is how massive wild area seems to be in the dessert bit. We can see multiple platform and ladders leading to different levels of the area. Initially this part of wild area seemed quite small but it actually looks massive now.

_skiploom_

Something i noticed in the trailer is how massive wild area seems to be in the dessert bit. We can see multiple platform and ladders leading to different levels of the area. Initially this part of wild area seemed quite small but it actually looks massive now.

I don’t think that is part of the wild area, it looks like the ‘desert’ section of the map near the ice city (from memory) which sort of resembles a quarry.

aerial_ace

I don’t think that is part of the wild area, it looks like the ‘desert’ section of the map near the ice city (from memory) which sort of resembles a quarry.
When the battle with Bede begins we can see those distinctive looking trees which would indicate the battle takes place in the wild area. It is a lot cleared in the Japanese trailer as well.
Although the background looks more like the maze thing than the desert so you might be right

_skiploom_

When the battle with Bede begins we can see those distinctive looking trees which would indicate the battle takes place in the wild area. It is a lot cleared in the Japanese trailer as well.
Although the background looks more like the maze thing than the desert so you might be right

The only trees that have been included on the map are those in the wild area - or major forest areas.

I think the ledges in the background are more indicative of the quarry area. It looks much more similar to the area where we saw Maractus in a previous trailer due to the red/orange colour palette.

The desert area in the wild area appears, to me at least to be much more yellow - when it isn’t covered in a sandstorm.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Does anyone have any idea what the desert area with the Diglett statues and Bea/Allister’s gym might be based on?

I think it might be based on the Dungeness Desert near Kent, but I’m not entirely sure. When I compared the map of the UK to the Galar region it looks like that area’s more-so around Boston & Skegness

Last edited:

Beldarius

Without meaning to pooh-pooh the amount of effort that clearly went into this, I think you've interpreted the map a bit too literally. Galar is a jigsaw of UK themes and tropes, thrown up in the air and rearranged; we shouldn't be interpreting it as 'the UK upside down'. Instead of Manchester or Leeds, we have 'industrial town' that draws on visual themes of both. The lakes will likely echo both the titular District and the Scottish lochs. Having grown up very near Chester, I certainly wouldn't say it's snow-swept!
Fair enough. All regions are mash-ups for the most part, anyway. Though I've noticed the original four region maps tend to match perfectly with Japanese prefectures (I made maps of those too, and the matches are uncanny). Maybe Game Freak just stopped trying when they started making "international" regions. XD

Granted, I still think the strange spiral tower in "London" was probably based on Orbit Tower. It's the only tower in the entire UK that has a spiral staircase -looking thing snaking around it.

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Fair enough. All regions are mash-ups for the most part, anyway. Though I've noticed the original four region maps tend to match perfectly with Japanese prefectures (I made maps of those too, and the matches are uncanny). Maybe Game Freak just stopped trying when they started making "international" regions. XD

Granted, I still think the strange spiral tower in "London" was probably based on Orbit Tower. It's the only tower in the entire UK that has a spiral staircase -looking thing snaking around it.

I think it's not that they stopped trying, but that they started actually getting creative with it, rather than just lifting a Japanese region and going with that.

AgentKallus

It's not a game Kate.
Could there be a town hidden underground? It would explain why only seven Gyms can be seen on the map. We've seen a lot of those gem mines in the trailers so there certainly are underground elements to Galar. I don't think this is likely but I just wanted to throw the idea out there.

Orphalesion

Could there be a town hidden underground? It would explain why only seven Gyms can be seen on the map. We've seen a lot of those gem mines in the trailers so there certainly are underground elements to Galar. I don't think this is likely but I just wanted to throw the idea out there.

It's a really cool idea, and I hope we'll see an underground city at some point. Just not sure whether it will be in Galar. I have the feeling if there was an underground town, there'd be some hints to it's existence on the map. On the other hand, yes that would explain where one of the missing gym stadiums is...
And there's so much they could do with an underground town.... like have the houses built into stalactites and stalagmites and connected with bridges and mine carts. And/or it could be illuminated by glowing crystals.

What missing stadium? I can count 8 on the map.

I'm definitely interested in what caves will look like in this game, though, because in addition to the mining area there are also train tunnels we might be able to enter, plus what looks like a cave on the right side of the map. I'm hoping that the overworld Pokemon will make them less of a slog than previous caves have been in the game.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan

TwilightBlade

I really like the fact that Galar seems like a frigid region much like how Sinnoh was. I'm getting a lot of Generation 4 vibes from Galar so far, which is actually a good thing for me since Sinnoh was my favourite region.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
I really like the fact that Galar seems like a frigid region much like how Sinnoh was. I'm getting a lot of Generation 4 vibes from Galar so far, which is actually a good thing for me since Sinnoh was my favourite region.
Sinnoh wasn't that cold.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Well the northern part of the region around Snowpoint City was entirely covered in snow and there were even snow patches around Twinleaf and Sandgem in Platinum. I'm just saying that Sinnoh and Galar seem colder than the majority of previous regions and since I like cold climates, I'm pleased.
Sinnoh's climate is temperate like Kanto, Johto, Unova, and Kalos. Galar will be a similar case.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Sinnoh's climate is temperate like Kanto, Johto, Unova, and Kalos. Galar will be a similar case.
Sinnoh is definitely the coldest region so far.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
Sinnoh is definitely the coldest region so far.
Not really. Sinnoh is more temperate. Snowpoint City and the areas surrounding it are at a high elevation, so high up that snow remains year round, so it makes sense.