1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

GALAR REGION Discussion & Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Pokémon Sword & Shield Discussion' started by Wulava, Feb 27, 2019.

1. Baggie_Saiyan

Baggie_Saiyan Well-Known Member

Hopefully we have mixed gyms with just the ace being the gym's specific theme type.

2. mtie123

mtie123 Johto's Hero

There is a really weird Diglett shrine to the left of the big middle city which I'm very intrigued by.

This map also seems to be just major location to me, as in the back ground of the trailer when battling the trainer you can see a small cabin in the background behind the big purple house in the bottom right of the map.

All in all the region map looks cool

I can't exactly make out a linear line in which you can travel straight through the region but I felt the same about Kalos when I first saw it too so I'm sure the game will have a linear story and exploration

3. Ducolamia

Ducolamia SAYYYY WHAT???

It looks like those fields could be used for tournaments. They might just have the E4 in one of those tournament rings as well.

There might also be some pokemon sports minigames too. Since out character is dressed in a jersey.

4. Nockturne

Nockturne Well-Known Member

I like the stadium look of the gyms

5. Ducolamia

Ducolamia SAYYYY WHAT???

Me too. One thing I liked from Sun/Moon/USUM was how you had a crowd of people watch you when you battle. It really made it feel like more of an event and I'm glad to see it brought over here.

Kawaii Emolga likes this.
  6. Acer11

Acer11 Well-Known Member

It may be possible that Carbink will be in the Pokedex, since players would explore a gem mine.

PokeMon2.0 and Trainer Yusuf like this.
  7. Dragalge

Dragalge Lucy Eiscue

It’s so refreshing to see the Water starter being the most liked again (base stage wise)! Oshawott, Froakie, and Popplio had it rough at the start.

8. Scammel

Scammel Well-Known Member

Now that I've seen Big Ben in the north, it's clear that the industrial city is acutely Manchester. The exact colour palette of the town square.

LilligantLewis likes this.
  9. Zoruagible

Zoruagible Lover of underrated characters

Something I've been thinking about.... but I really hope the villain team are based off knights.
    And I mean more actual knights, like they're actually wearing knight armor.

Cause who uses Sword and Shields? Knights!
    If we can have a whole team dressed up like fashion geeks and a team full of guys/girls wearing spacesuits then armor wearing men/women wouldn't be out of place.
    Plus... it'd just be neat to see a team using Steel types for a change.

Kawaii Emolga and PokeMon2.0 like this.
  10. Acer11

Acer11 Well-Known Member

Wasn't Team Plasma based on Knights?

11. Hydrohs

Hydrohs 安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。 Staff Member Super Mod

The backgrounds of the battles might not be indicative of what's actually around you, they may just be generic.

They were.

12. Grey Wind

Grey Wind Only rescues maidens

Yeah, I hope they go with a medieval theme for the evil team. I'd also love to see a royal family as the villains (or elite 4?)

13. Trainer Yusuf

Trainer Yusuf VolcaniNO

Those guys were Catholic, this is a Protestant country(mostly anyway).

14. Nodame

Nodame Cute Pokemon fan

I am freaking out of how beautiful the region is, while I am still very excited, here are my thoughts:
    - I kinda expected better graphics. It looks like an updated SM graphics to me.
    - it's such a shame Pokemon aren't following us around, at least LGP/LGE was better at that.
    - Trainer customisation MUST be extended in this game cuz just like SM I am not a fan of the trainers designs.
    - Scorbunny <3
    - Hoping for 100+ new Pokemon <3

I am all happy.

15. lemoncatpower

lemoncatpower Cynical optimist

I said this in another thread but google translate says galar means disease in welsh, Irish, and Gaelic. Really curious if that’ll have anything to do with the region and a possible Black Plague based legendary.

16. shoz999

shoz999 Do you wanna try a good Tapu Cocoa? My treat.

Interesting I'm noticing a lot of people comparing these Pokemon games not to Sun & Moon's graphics but Fire Emblem Three Houses graphics.

17. Dragalge

Dragalge Lucy Eiscue

We’re comparing them to SM’s graphics!

18. Nockturne

Nockturne Well-Known Member

A poison type plague rat legendary would be cool

19. mtie123

mtie123 Johto's Hero

It was in the background of the overworld not in battle

https://www.serebii.net/swordshield/3.jpg

Can be seen off to the left at the water edge and doesn't show up on the map

20. PrinceOfFacade

PrinceOfFacade Ghost-Type Master

I like the region thus far, and I do like that we get to explored the UK.

Hopefully this means we get to go to Beachy Head, which I'd love to visit in real life.

My only gripe is once again, the Ice area is far off in the distance. Ice pokemon are always the hardest to get. For once, I'd like to have one early on.