• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

GALAR REGION Discussion & Speculation Thread

PokeMon2.0

Cramorant is too cute for words!
I feel like the first gym would be a Flying or Normal type gym.

RileyXY1

Young Battle Trainer
I highly doubt that all the gyms will be in the stadiums. There's less than 8 of them on the map.

SueChef

Old dog, new tricks!
Galar region • Gallant Knights • Sir Galahad of the Knights of the Round Table • King Arthur and the 'Sword' in the Stone

Also I'd love a post game episode with Looker based on the Hound of the Barkervilles - to tie in with the Wolf heads on the sword and shield in the logos? Something Sherlock Holmes - not that I'd ever expect it but there could be some crossover with this for Detective Pikachu.

Last edited:

Espeon POWER!

Coral Eye Trainer
Inverted UK of sorts woo!

Top seems to be London based and I reckon you have to first get to it by train which will take you to the base of the snow routes and will actually jump up and bypass a lot of the region from the south.

Down towards the left is a forested area with glowing mushrooms and one of those stadiums which suggest a fairy-type gym to me, then below that is an interesting rocky area with a Dugtrio mural of some sort so perhaps the stadium there is a ground-type gym.

East from that is a big black castle like area that seems to maybe be based on Buckingham Palace and my best guess at the Pokemon League, though there's probably a reason you can't go to the actual league part from the west as further east there appears to be what looks like a good candidate for victory road.

That Victory Road like area seems to lead up into a smaller snow city with a stadium which I assume to be an Ice-type gym going off what is known so far.

A separate path out of that snowy city leads to some small purply area that goes back towards the castle but I again feel like there will be reason you can't go that way to force you to take victory road.

Then there only seems to be a track going down so you might have to use a train to get there again and below that there is that pier based town, probably brighton or blackpool or both. That town clearly has a water gym going off of the other stuff with the stadiums.

That pier town goes west towards some small area with split route paths that goes further west to some big area with fields and the carved giant (probably a legendary in this), which seems to have that grass gym seen in the trailer. Under the big bridge along the way are laid out stones that could be the pokemon version of Stonehenge but just shaped differently.

Below all that is the big industrial city that appears to mostly be Manchester based though its not clear how you reach it from the north; perhaps through the mountains or maybe anther place you have to take the train, though it has steps from the south leading from the lakes below which also seem to go up under the bridges to the Stonehenge like area.

It seems possible to me that going up toards the stones and past the industrial area leads to a dead end like area and that you have to go back down and into the city and take a train to get to the cities in the north or perhaps just go through the mountain to the field area but take train to London.

However it also looks like the lakes don't connect to the south properly so it may be you have to take the train up from teh southern towns to the Industrial city then you can exit the city and wander to the lakes and the stones. Then again maybe the forest below the southern mountains lead through the mountain to that small red building just above which lets you get to the big lakes.

Either way there is that big purpley building below the southern mountains and another lake with the smaller village towns and fields with the furthest south likely being the starting town.

I feel like you will have to take a train from here up to the industrial city to get further and from there, or even the south, you take a train all the way up to just before the London city and skip past a bunch of the region which you later get back to.

Orphalesion

So it's the UK/Great Brittain after all. Nice.

Looks a bit north-south heavy, but well...that's to be expected and it's alright. Also, Galar is an awesome name. Very regal. It's interesting that the big city isn't where London is supposed to be...

I love the mushroom village in the dark forest!

I'm already wondering the story behind this. The skeleton shapes as if they're electrocuted looks mysterious.

n9DqMKE.png

It's based on this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerne_Abbas_Giant

.Aerodactyl.

Okay, I really love this region, albeit it I admit it looks really small and cramped to me. So small, I don't think it even fits enough towns/locations to host six gyms, yet alone 8. I actually have a theory that this is only half the map. Its JUST a theory, no one get their hopes up! But it's just so cramped and small it looks like half if ehat even alola was. Here's my reasoning:

The stadiums I think are the gyms, and in the exact same style there is only five of them on the map: A green one above the steampunkesque city and slightly to the left of it, the blue one by the light house to the right of it, the brown one to the left of the draconian city in the mountains, one above that in the glowy mushroom forest. The final one is in the snowy mountains and looks a little different as it seems built into the top of the castle. There is no obvious place for a league, unless that castle is the league and elite four? I mean, it's different than the other arenas, set apart with only two connecting locations, the only place that really looks like it could even have a victory road trail. That leaves only four "missing" arenas. Also, the two entrances are interesting...keep a note on that. Its part of my theory.

If you look at the bottom of the map in the starting location, there is a trail leading into the forest right by your house. I mean, it could just be a smaller explorable forest and that's it. But what if that forest leads out the bottom to the whole other half of the map, an entire second region (albeit small), where another four gyms are located? What if these two regions are actually part of the plot and are warring/opposed? Maybe they were part of one big region called "Galarfelld" or something like that that split in half due to differences? So now it's the "Galar" region and the "Felld" region of whatever (it's a stupid name, I know, I literally just came up with it on the spot as an example. ) because they used to be one regiom they may share the league, but now it has TWO entrances, one for each region who don't like interacting? I mean, the castle looks to have mirroring identical doors. Their might even be two champions, or eight elite people, or else two for one region two for the other, etc. Part of the plot might be uniting the regions back together with the legends?

I know it's a stupid idea and I don't want to get peoples hope's up putting ideas in peoples head. It's just an idea. It could just be a small cramped map and some gyms are in towers or castles and not the arena.

In other speculation, I don't think we will have to wait until the end of the game to reach the londonesque city at the top of the map. I dont think we will actually go in a straight line. We typically hit the "big city" by the midpoint of the game, so I dont think we will be waiting until the end for ice pokemon again. We problem train right past the draconian city and even the middle city by the loch and loop back to it after the London city.

EDIT: forgot to mention galar has a very Swordesque look to it, what with the top taking on the handle, but there isn't a very obvious "shield" shape embedded. Perhaps the second region takes on a shield shape below?

Last edited:

Espeon POWER!

Coral Eye Trainer
There's 6 stadiums if you want to count the one in the London based mountain city, though that one is red and looks different to the others so I don't think its a gym.
The gyms we see (stadiums) are; mushroom forest, rocky area with dugtrio (next to the palace), the snowy city/building south of the mountains (its on the roof), the port city and the town with the fields and carved giant.
I'm not conviced these are all of them though and I think the map is stylised to not properly show everything.

There is actually some open air fields that could also be gyms and fill up the missing gym spots but I'm not sure about that.

I feel like there must be a gym in the industrial city but the art just doesn't show it or its not a stadium because it would clash.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
So it's the UK/Great Brittain after all. Nice.

Looks a bit north-south heavy, but well...that's to be expected and it's alright. Also, Galar is an awesome name. Very regal. It's interesting that the big city isn't where London is supposed to be...

I love the mushroom village in the dark forest!

It's based on this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerne_Abbas_Giant
Um, well, I'm glad they didn't focus on what was down there for the reference...

Pikasaur

Lazy Summer
I Hope that tower in the Northern City isn't just another battle tower.

Same with the train and 'Battle Subway'

Ultra Beast Lover

I wonder if the battles with the Elite Four and Champion is going to be some big event with people in the stands, one thing I still like about the anime is how the league is hyped as this huge, important event that everyone is going to watch. Maybe that's what the male character is walking to? Maybe they had him in sports attire to give off a "big event" vibe

.Aerodactyl.

I *really* hope we don't need to play soccer. Hate that game and in any case yeah....I'm playing Pokemon not "FiFa world cup" or whatever it's called.
In the trailer, we see a battle going on in the field between lucario and I think Tyranitar? So I don't think it's actually soccer or sports. It might be a new team battle mode though, where its like 4v4 or something? That's my guess.

.Aerodactyl.

There's 6 stadiums if you want to count the one in the London based mountain city, though that one is red and looks different to the others so I don't think its a gym.
The gyms we see (stadiums) are; mushroom forest, rocky area with dugtrio (next to the palace), the snowy city/building south of the mountains (its on the roof), the port city and the town with the fields and carved giant.
I'm not conviced these are all of them though and I think the map is stylised to not properly show everything.

There is actually some open air fields that could also be gyms and fill up the missing gym spots but I'm not sure about that.

I feel like there must be a gym in the industrial city but the art just doesn't show it or its not a stadium because it would clash.

Yeah, I saw your post. I don't think the london based one is though. I think it might be a new battle mode that focuses on teaming up like 4v4, or even a return of the free for all thing they had in SUMO. In the trailer, you can see a grass logo on the green stadium as the player character walks into town, making me think gym.

Like I said, my idea is dumb. Could totally be just hidden gyms. It just does seem so impossibly small to me though, like literally half of previous maps. Could be that it will feel bigger when we're playing though.

The air fields are mostly in the beginning, so I think they have to be part of the tutorial. They look to be at the house next door to yours, and outside the professors house/potential school? Purple building in the first town.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Not every game needs to be open world.

They don't, but it makes sense for Pokemon. Pokemon is all about adventuring through a vast region, so making that adventure more open and free is a natural evolution of the series.

And the issue isn't just that it's not open world. The issue is they haven't even moved an inch in that direction. There is an entire scale of games that have varying amount of linearity/openness, but Pokemon chooses to hug the lower end of that scale like it's holding on for dear life. I was hoping if they didn't make the game open world, they'd at least take a few steps in that direction. But nope, they didn't even do that much, they haven't improved over 3DS era design in the slightest.

No, but I do wish they would step away from the more cramped routes they've always had, which it doesn't look like they're doing. I doesn't have to be BotW, it can still be linear, but it would be great to see more open spaces rather than a series of interlocking paths between cities.

This. So much this.

amoebo

amoeboVGC
there are 7 stadiums, in the brick/redstone area you can faintly make out a domelike shape around the base of the tower

factor in the cities etc on the map don't show everything (as evidenced by the starter town being much bigger than shown on the map) i'm sure in one of the 2 remaining big areas there will be a gym (probably in the mines)

not to mention the dragon castle area could not more clearly be either a: the legend/evil team climax location or b: the pokemon league