• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

GALAR REGION Discussion & Speculation Thread

Ultra Beast Lover

We know hospitals exist, I guess I just always assumed that the Pokemon Center was also the human hospital. It'd be interesting to see a human hospital.

1rkhachatryan

Call me Robert guys
I've highlighted what I think is the expanse of the Wild Area (red), then the routes (purple).

eLtHmt2.png

I think the wild area is pretty massive. And of course, routes will still be there. How else would you connect places outside of the Wild Area?

I feel like there has to be more routes, there's usually at least 20+ routes in each game. I agree about the wild area though.

Btw you guys, do you think we can go on that big lake near the professors house like we can in the wild areas??

Last edited:

shadowF

Anyone know where the Fighting/Ghost type gyms are located in the Galar Region?

Wulava

danger chili pepper
Staff member
Yeah, I've found that interesting. We know about the Wild Area, and some of its sub-areas. We know Route 1. But not a single town/city wasn't mentioned on the official website. I was expecting the names to be written along with the Gym Leader descriptions.

Even the name of Chairman Rose's corporation wasn't mentioned, or specific names of Leon's sponsors.

DannyDark

I was thinking about actual locations of towns... Like, we've had ones next to a volcano, floating at sea, in treehouses... And I think it'd be cool, and a first for the main series I believe(?) if we have a town that is either underground or floating in the air. And there's still hope, somewhat for both, but mostly an underground town as this obviously wouldn't appear on the map of the region from above.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Knowing Game Freak loves their baby steps, and seeing the way Galar is designed, I think Gen 8 will be their first official step at dabbing in open exploration.

I think there will be a few areas where the player is simply free to explore and do as they please, while the rest of the region is linear and requires opening up. While I do feel this is going to be the scope of the gameplay, I don't think it's necessary.

Let's GO was still the perfect example of how Pokémon can have an open region. It doesn't have to be a huge expansive world - it would be weird if it were - it just needs to allow us to come and go as we please. In other words, don't make the gyms or story barriers.

But back to the subject at hand, I think there will be a modest degree of freedom in Sword & Shield, and such freedom will slowly open up over the next few gens, like with everything else.

Well I'll be. I was right! lol

The Wild Area is far more than I expected, though. I dope hope such open gameplay continues in future games.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Well I'll be. I was right! lol

The Wild Area is far more than I expected, though. I dope hope such open gameplay continues in future games.
Yep I hope so too. It's a real surprise that they brought it over from the Let's Go games. Didn't think they'd do it.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Why won't they make an animated trailer for Swsh like they did with ORAS and BW2? These trailers were AMAZING and SO hyping!!!!
I wish we get something like that........

AgentKallus

It's not a game Kate.
Why won't they make an animated trailer for Swsh like they did with ORAS and BW2? These trailers were AMAZING and SO hyping!!!!

But both of those were for the second time we saw a region, I don't think that's a coincidence... and if they did an animated trailer then they'd want to shown off the fully evolved starters which I wouldn't mind but I'm sure some people would.

Ariki

I suspect an animated trailer would be way too spoilery for Galar. It seems to me that Gamefreak are trying to keep as much info as possible under wraps and also not over flood us with Pokemon news (as we’ve had two movies come out during this marketing cycle, event tie ins with the movies, as well as Pokemon Masters). I predict we’ll get a sliver of info this month about the games and the upcoming anime season and then September - November they will push SwSh (both games and anime) hard.

derekrandall

I suspect an animated trailer would be way too spoilery for Galar. It seems to me that Gamefreak are trying to keep as much info as possible under wraps and also not over flood us with Pokemon news (as we’ve had two movies come out during this marketing cycle, event tie ins with the movies, as well as Pokemon Masters). I predict we’ll get a sliver of info this month about the games and the upcoming anime season and then September - November they will push SwSh (both games and anime) hard.

When are we expecting the Galar anime to start? I haven’t been catching up with the sun and moon episodes so not sure how far we are in that. Will in coincide with the games? I’d like that.

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
They only seem to animate trailers for games containing regions we’ve already visited, I guess mainly to contain spoilers. If we get a SwSh2 or DP remakes I’d assume there’s a better chance of getting an animated trailer then.

Ariki

They only seem to animate trailers for games containing regions we’ve already visited, I guess mainly to contain spoilers. If we get a SwSh2 or DP remakes I’d assume there’s a better chance of getting an animated trailer then.

Totally agree. A trailer for DP remakes would be great to see.

Speaking of trailers, seeing as masters got one, I wonder if home and sleep will as well?

Creyk

I was thinking about actual locations of towns... Like, we've had ones next to a volcano, floating at sea, in treehouses... And I think it'd be cool, and a first for the main series I believe(?) if we have a town that is either underground or floating in the air. And there's still hope, somewhat for both, but mostly an underground town as this obviously wouldn't appear on the map of the region from above.
This is so true.
Also, they never really unearthed the massive potential that dive has, it has so many possibilities...never utilized. We could have legit underwater cities and more underwater routes. With the graphical updates it would probably look very pretty too. (because even in ORAS it was very nice if you recall). I wish they were more adventurous with their region designs like that sometimes.

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
Does anyone else remember the Abyssal Ruins? While there wasn’t much to do there’s besides getting the Plates, I remember being fascinated by the complex maze design and diving controls (simple, but something we haven’t been able to do since, even in ORAS). Something about having a proper underwater location felt so exciting and welcome, and I wish they’d try something like that again. With the graphics capability of the Switch they really should have no issues expanding on the Ruins with underwater routes and cities.

shadowF

Anyone think the really big house next to our house is Bede's house or is it confirmed to be Hop's house? Seems like it could be Bede's since he gives a rich boy vibe.