• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gallade/Gardevoir Discussion

[IMG200]http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/9/99/282Gardevoir.png[/IMG200] [IMG200]http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/5/58/475Gallade.png[/IMG200]

Gardevoir: 68/65/65/125/115/80

Gallade: 68/125/65/65/115/80

Notice any similarities between those two? The types are almost the same, the stats are almost the same, and the support movepools are almost the same. And, their tier is the same. NU. However, I belive that these Pokemon can have great success in OU.

Gallade is more of an offensive Pokemon, with Swords Dance and a variety of physical moves. As such, his Swords Dance set can work well.

Gallade @ Life Orb
Steadfast
Adamant/Jolly
4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Swords Dance
Close Combat
Shadow Sneak
Ice Punch/Stone Edge

Gallade also has deadly defensive options just like his sister, Gardevoir, but she pulls them off far better.

Gardevoir is more defensively inclined, with useful support moves such as Will-O-Wisp and Hypnosis to make use of. As such, a special tank set is obligatory.

Gardevoir @ Leftovers
Trace
Calm/Sassy
252 HP/4 Def/252 SpD
Will-O-Wisp
Psychic/Psyshock
Pain Split/Wish
Hypnosis/Protect/Heall Bell/Trick Room

Gardevoir has many, many other options, including but not limited to Trick Room, Dual Screens, and Memento. Gardevoir also makes a great weather counter due to her decent Speed and Trace to counter any Chlorophyllers or Sand Rushers.

There are many other ways to use these two Psychic types, but I do not know of them. Discuss these two Pokemon, and the future may be brighter for them.

Gardevoir is useless in OU. Its not going to be fast enough to outrun Excadrill without a Scarf and speed EVs but if it does that it lacks the defenses to last long. Its a terrible Pokemon.

Gallade on the other had hits super hard with Close Combat and has nice priority in Shadow Sneak. Largely outclassed by Lucario though Gallade has an easier time setting up and can sponge neutral special hits well enough.

Gamefreak

Gardevoir is useless in OU. Its not going to be fast enough to outrun Excadrill without a Scarf and speed EVs but if it does that it lacks the defenses to last long. Its a terrible Pokemon.

Gallade on the other had hits super hard with Close Combat and has nice priority in Shadow Sneak. Largely outclassed by Lucario though Gallade has an easier time setting up and can sponge neutral special hits well enough.

Lucario also has better resists, but Gallade can set up on weaker, slow special attacker things.

True, but few Pokemon do not run Fire / Ground / Fighting / burn / some neutral attack that OHKOs. It can't even set up freely on stuff like Vaporeon anymore because of Scald (which has a 10% burn when you use it but 70% when its used against you).

Gallade can just park itself in front of some low-medium power Special Attack and set up. Its not a good Pokemon though.. don't take what I say the wrong way. Gallade can probably find more Pokemon to set up on but its FAR less likely to sweep.

PokeMaster366

It's not that Gardevoir is terrible. It's just that there are other pokemon that do its job better. Dual Screens-Togekiss, Wall-Jellicent. Trick Room Sweeper-Reuniclus. Gallade is not too bad, but a lot of times, you'll find more use in a priority Fighting move than priority Ghost, and there are so many better Life Orb users, that I can't make a list here. I suppose Trace is a niche, though.

Vandslaux

Why are we comparing Gardevoir and Gallade? They're completely different pokemon.

I like using this for Gallade:
-Close Combat
-Leaf Blade
-Night Slash / Shadow Sneak
-Psycho Cut
Equipped with a Scope lens. Critical hits galore.

Design and typing-wise, I prefer Gallade too, because he's a Fighting type which is just better. He's a good attacker, always a bonus, with decent speed and good attacks. Gardevoir... I just don';t like using it. It's got that stupid thing that Gothithelle has where it can be male (IT'S JUST SO WRONG), and it's got so many other possible replacements for it. You could run a Psychic or Dream Eater/Focus Blast/Energy Blast/Hypnosis or other Status move set on it quite nicely, or something like Destiny Bond/Will-o-wisp/Double team/Psychic, but other Pokemon can do them better (Alakazam or Reuinclus for the first one, Gengar, Frosslas for the second).

TheGreatDragonite

Dragon Trainer
Gallade can be useful against unprepared team. How do I know this? If you look at my signature, you will see that it's in my competative team, and although it is not perfect and I am only in the initial stages of testing, but so far it has been very successful. A swords dance gallade is a formidable opponent, and you can get around speed by baton passing agility.

Gallade can be useful against unprepared team. How do I know this? If you look at my signature, you will see that it's in my competative team, and although it is not perfect and I am only in the initial stages of testing, but so far it has been very successful. A swords dance gallade is a formidable opponent, and you can get around speed by baton passing agility.

I prefer Bulk Up Gallade on my bulky offense team because he takes hits while setting up and eventually blasts through the slower threats. If you really want to see the team, too bad.

Vandslaux

Yes, but this is a competitive discussion, and they play WAY differently. Gardevoir uses a weather counter Trace + Scarf niche, and Gallade can be a brutal physical sweeper.

Pichu47

Fear Me, If You Dare
Gallade can be useful against unprepared team

Magikarp can be useful against an unprepared team.

SwiftGrovyle

Official POTW Fact Checker
Yes, but this is a competitive discussion, and they play WAY differently. Gardevoir uses a weather counter Trace + Scarf niche, and Gallade can be a brutal physical sweeper.

You forget that Gardevoir also can counter and force switches from choice Electivire and with that, other pokemon with similar immunities. Very dangerous couple. I like it. It's a sweet phsycic romance, no doubt.

I almost forgot something else- wish support. Not much Hp, but it's something.
Good for Rotation battles. And then destiny bond. Yeah.

Haru Glory

Rave Master
Personally, I find both of them quite useful.
Now that they're also on DW, I see more Gardevoirs in Triples, with its DW ability Telepathy, maybe we'll see Eviolite Kirlias? And more Gallades in OU, with its DW ability, Justified. Just waits for a Dark-type Pokèmon or attack, switches in, and gets a free +1 Attack.

3.14kachu

2.72pic √(-1)nventor
I prefer Bulk Up Gallade. It increases its already massive attack stat and covers up its less impressive defense stat.

PokeMaster366

The only thing I don't like about Gallade is that he doesn't take well to physical hits and he doesn't get Trace like his sister evolution. Other than that, he's got a good offensive typing that lets him hit non-Dark/Ghost pokemon for neutral damage all the time, as well as a decent attacking movepool, which could let him function decently, at least, as a Choice sweeper.

On the other hand, let's look at Gardevoir. Even though she's more defensive than her brother, she can function on offense as well as a Calm Mind Sweeper, but you might want to leave that to Reuniclus. Trace gives her a niche, but I still wish that Gallade would get it. Her typing doesn't suit her defensive nature, and her offensive movepool keeps her underwhelming.

Basically, Gallade is a good offensive pokemon, but Gardevoir suffers from an inferiority complex when compared to Reuniclus.

Eaglehawk

Banned
The only thing I don't like about Gallade is that he doesn't take well to physical hits and he doesn't get Trace like his sister evolution. Other than that, he's got a good offensive typing that lets him hit non-Dark/Ghost pokemon for neutral damage all the time, as well as a decent attacking movepool, which could let him function decently, at least, as a Choice sweeper.

On the other hand, let's look at Gardevoir. Even though she's more defensive than her brother, she can function on offense as well as a Calm Mind Sweeper, but you might want to leave that to Reuniclus. Trace gives her a niche, but I still wish that Gallade would get it. Her typing doesn't suit her defensive nature, and her offensive movepool keeps her underwhelming.

Basically, Gallade is a good offensive pokemon, but Gardevoir suffers from an inferiority complex when compared to Reuniclus.

Eh. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

True, Gallade would have been an amazing weather counter with Trace, but Steadfast works well for him too, in a way. It can switch in on known Fake Out users, get the Speed boost, and threaten them with a STAB Close Combat or Brick Break when he can just boost with a Swords Dance or Bulk Up respectively. But outside of this rare situation, Steadfast is useless.

Gardevoir is completely useless in OU, but it's something to consider in UU. It can run a crapload of Support sets that pretty much puts her as her own. Kinda like Latias and Latios: one focuse more on bulk, while the other focuses on straight up offense. Gardevoir can run an effective Sub+Disable, Mean Look+Charm, Status platform, Memento, and Dual Screens.

Exiled

One with fire
Gallade with it's Justified ability can be good in doubles or triples as well if you can get a Pokemon that knows Beat Up and a Pokemon that can learn Quash or Fake Out is even better to stall out the faster Pokemon on the other team. Because you can get a maximum of +6 to attack with Beat Up. Also if you put Gallade in a Trick Room team with that combo mentioned before Gallade can be a powerful sweeper.

Eaglehawk

Banned
Gallade with it's Justified ability can be good in doubles or triples as well if you can get a Pokemon that knows Beat Up and a Pokemon that can learn Quash or Fake Out is even better to stall out the faster Pokemon on the other team. Because you can get a maximum of +6 to attack with Beat Up. Also if you put Gallade in a Trick Room team with that combo mentioned before Gallade can be a powerful sweeper.
ehh.....

Gallade is hit neutrally when against a dark-type move, and that means that Beat Up isn't the best option around. For starters, Defense is his worst stat, so he'll take neutral Dark hits 6 times (full party), and get +6 Attack. In terms of Doubles, a majority of his moves are single target, meaning that he'll hit only one, not the other. Depending on what you choose to hit, the opposing Pokemon not KOed by Gallade will undoubtedly kill it due to its already weakened state from Beat Up. This is purely theoretical and no damage calcs have been made.

Spiky

Prediction succesful
Well, my friend... I F*CKING LOVVVEEEE GALLADE!!! I have 2 of them and they are EV'trained. Well, I battle competitive and I always use gallade as anti-lead right from the beginning. HE'S JUST PRO!!! :D But anyway, so I have 2 anti-lead gallades, both other sets, look:

1) ANTI-LEAD GALLADE, focus sash
steadfast, adamant
EV's: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 254 Spe
- Close combat -Shadow Sneak
- Taunt - Destiny Bond
This is my favorite of the 2, and works and surprise very well. :D 2 with OU pokes

2) ANTI-LEAD GALLADE, Life orb/ Lum Berry
steadfast, jolly
-Close Combat -Psycho Cut
-Shadow Sneak - Ice punch
This is my other gallade, it's shiny but I've cheated 2 get him. He works 2 pretty well,
2 by OU pokes. You can use life orb or lum berry, you're choose, but I prefer more lum
berry cause I f*cking hate it when my lead get asleep!!! esspecially by pokemons like
smeargle and roserade, and don't speak of machamp dynamic punch when you always
get confused.

But yeah, that are my movesets of my 2 gallades. :)
I don't know how gardevoir functions cause I haven't got 1. :( But like you said, I think gardevoir is good for a special bulky pokemon with a lot of support moves like will-o-wisp. And the difference between gallade and gardevoir is that gallade is more pro ;P
No seriously, gallade is just physical with a fightning type and gardevoir is just special.

So yeah, I hope I've helped AND ...
See ya!!! ;P