• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Gambit

Twentington

Outta here!
...a game of skill, fate, and fortune.

RULES:

Two contestants, one of which is usually a champion, compete. The contestants are shown the first card of a shuffled deck of 54 playing cards (the two extra cards are jokers, explained below). The players are asked a question with three possible answers. Each provides a buzzcode (just like in my Sale of the Century game), and the one closest to the buzzcode I generate gets to answer. If they're right, they earn $100 and get to choose whether to keep the card or give it to their opponent. If they give an incorrect answer, their opponent earns the $100 and the right to keep or pass the card.

After this first card, the cards are kept hidden, and whoever earns the option to keep or pass must use their intuition to decide whether to play or pass (after which the card is revealed and added to the corresponding player's hand). If a player fears they might go over 21 with the next card, they can choose to FREEZE their hand. After this, the other player must continue to answer questions correctly to add cards to try and beat the other player's hand. If the player answering questions answers incorrectly in this case, their opponent wins the round. If the player that is not frozen beats the other player's hand, they win the round. Busting at any point automatically gives the round to the opponent.

Winning a round is normally worth $500, HOWEVER, there are two bonus pots that can be won in the main game.

The 21 pot, earned by making a 21 with 3 cards or more, starts at $2,500 and increases by $500 a round until won.

The Blackjack Bonus, won by making Blackjack with a combination of two cards (an Ace and either a 10 or a face card), starts at $10,000 and increases by $2,500 per round until won.

Either way, hitting 21 at any time automatically wins the round and the corresponding bonus.

The first player to win 2 rounds advances to the Beat the Dealer bonus. The other player leaves with any cash and prizes accumulated.

Oh, the jokers. If a player wins a round with a joker in their hand, they win an additional prize.

BEAT THE DEALER:

The winner of the main game faces the dealer for a chance at more cash and prizes. The dealer takes the first two cards, one of which is face up - the other is face down. The player picks from a board of 21 monitors, each of which can have a different prize or effect on the game. Most of the spaces are prizes, but there are some spaces to pay attention to:

Suit spaces: The player earns $500 for their bonus bank. If the card suit that corresponds with the space comes up, this $500 is doubled each time that suit comes up.

Car: If chosen, the car is added into the bonus bank.

BUST: Ends the round on a loss automatically, regardless of the current hands.

$: Automatically wins the bonus round and the bonus bank.

For each prize space revealed, a card is drawn by the dealer.

The player can either take this card, or if they have any, use a Power Chip to have another card revealed.

The number of power chips a player starts with is 2. Additional power chips are earned by the following:

Earning a blackjack or 21 in the main game
Regaining your championship reign.

The champ still has the option to freeze if they believe they might go over on the next card. Once they freeze, the dealer's face up card is revealed. If the dealer's hand does not total at least 17, they must keep drawing until either:

- the dealer beats the player's hand, meaning the player does not earn any additional cash or prizes
- the dealer reaches at least 17, meaning that if it does not beat the player's hand, the player wins, or
- the dealer goes over 21, meaning the player wins.

If you win the bonus round in a normal way (e.g. hitting 21 with 3 cards or more, having a better hand than the dealer, or the dealer busting), you win your bonus bank in addition to $25,000. If you get Blackjack, whether in a normal way as in the main game, or by hitting the dollar sign on the board with just an ace, 10 or face card, you win a jackpot that starts at $100,000 and adds $50,000 each time it isn't won.

Here's the big one - if you find the dollar sign on your first pick - you win $1,000,000.

Players can remain champions for 5 games.

I need two players for the first game. Do you feel lucky?

Twentington

Outta here!
Approval success!

Since this was on page 2 at the time of approval, courtesy bump.

FYI, no, the million dollar thing is not a typo. It's hard to win, anyhow.

Last edited:

Armando Payne

Sure whatever sign me up boyo.

Twentington

Outta here!
[THIS IS CBS]

(fade up, music)

Jim Thornton: You have the knowledge... You know the odds... All the rest is in the cards... On GAMBIT - a game of skill, fate, and fortune. And now, from Television City in Hollywood, here's your host, Doctor Who!

(uproarious cheers and applause)

Thank you, everybody! Thank you, Jim Thornton... this is Gambit! Don't touch that remote - we're going to have a lot of fun on our first show! We've made a few touch ups to the show, including - get this - one million dollars!

(cheers, applause)

We'll talk about that in a minute though, but first let's say good morning to the lovely woman who's dealing the cards. Please say hello to our card dealer Candace Bailey!

(cheers, applause)

You'll see more of her after the break. For now, let's meet our first two card sharks - oh wait, wrong show.

(laughter)

Anyhow, Jim Thornton will tell you about our players. Jim?

Jim: Playing our game today is CuriousHeartless. He'll be taking on Armando Payne!

(applause)

Good morning, gentlemen! Care to tell us about yourselves?

Armando Payne

Whereas I am a Literary genius, I can read up to 400 languages including Mayan and let me tell you something Doctor, the end of the world is actually supposed to occur according to the Mayan Calendar in 1972. Also, I stalk the playboy mansion and Hugh Hefner has given me 200 Playboy Playmates restraining orders.

Twentington

Outta here!
Security! (audience laughter) But seriously, good luck to both of you.

We'll, uh, take a quick break. When we come back, we'll tell you how we do business around here, and get into the game!

(applause, fade to black)

(commercials)

(fade up)

Welcome back to Gambit, everyone! For the sake of those of you that are going, 'what the heck are they doing?', let me explain the rules.

The object of the game is to get closer to 21 than your opponent without going over. I'll be asking multiple choice questions. If you buzz in and your answer is correct, you'll score $100 and the option of either keeping the next card in the deck or passing it to your opponent. Be careful... because if you get an incorrect answer, your opponent will score $100 and get the option. The player who's either closer to 21 or, alternatively, causes their opponent to bust receives $500. Whoever wins the best 2 out of 3 rounds will be playing Beat The Dealer for $1 million!

(applause)

ANY 21 WINS
$2,500
BLACKJACK BONUS
$10,000

Also keep in mind our bonuses. If you win a round with 21, you'll win our 21 bonus of $2,500. If you are lucky enough to make a blackjack, you'll win our Blackjack Bonus, starting at $10,000!

Candace is going to break the seal on today's deck of cards as we begin round 1. Candace, let's see the first card...

52.png

Candace: It's a deuce.

(audience groans)

The person who gets this 2 will be determined by this first question. Here it comes...

28, 31, or 1-- In the film Blazing Saddles, how many flavors does Howard Johnson's ice cream parlor have?

(48 hours to PM your buzzcode between 1 and 100)

Last edited:

Twentington

Outta here!
Buzzcode: 100

1st: Armando (55)
2nd: Curious (26)

[BUZZ]

Armando?

(they both sent their answers as well)

Is wrong. Amusingly, the parlor only has one flavor of ice cream available. That means Curious earns the first $100 of the day and the option. I think I know what you're going to do, Curious, but Standards and Practices says I have to ask - keep the card or pass the card?

Twentington

Outta here!
Are you sure? You'd be giving up your chance at the Blackjack Bonus if you did that. You sure you don't want to pass the card to Armando?

Twentington

Outta here!
Alright. Candace will move the card over to Armando's side.

Code:
[CURIOUS][ARMANDO]
[-------][-------]
[---0---][---2---]
[---$100][-----$0]

(makeshift podiums)

From here on out, we won't reveal the card until after you make the decision to keep or pass the card. Second question...

Conan O'Brien, David Letterman, or Jon Stewart; Which late night talk show host was once a writer for "The Simpsons"?

(48 hours for answer and buzzcode)

Twentington

Outta here!
Buzzcode: 66

1st: Armando (29)
2nd: Curious (10)

[BUZZ]

Armando?

Jon Stewart

I can say the answer is Conan O'Brien. Worked on the show for two years, then quit to do Late Night.

Curious, that means you get another $100 and the option. Use your intuition - do you want to keep the next card or pass it?

Twentington

Outta here!
Curious is not taking any risks and keeping the card. Let's see it!

1.png

Candace: IT'S AN ACE!

(cheers, applause, etc.)

Code:
[CURIOUS][ARMANDO]
[-------][-------]
[-1/11--][---2---]
[---$200][-----$0]

Curious, that's great news for you! All you need now is a 10 or a face card and you'll win the Blackjack Bonus of $10,000! For now, though, another question...

Ghost, The Color Purple, or Jumpin' Jack Flash; In what motion picture does Whoopi Goldberg play Oda Mae Brown?

(48 hours)

Twentington

Outta here!
(first strike for Armando; I've given more than enough time)

[CURIOUS BUZZES IN]

Curious?

The Color Purple.

I can tell we're having a hard time with the questions today; it was Ghost. Armando, you get the $100. Keep in mind if you pass and the card's an ace, Curious wins $10,000 and the round. Armando, what do you want to do?

Twentington

Outta here!
Not risking the round here. Let's see what you have...

5.png

Candace: It's a king.

(applause)

And you made a good choice to not pass the card!

Code:
[CURIOUS][ARMANDO]
[-------][-------]
[-1/11--][--12---]
[---$200][---$100]

Okay, you've got a total of 12. Although I get the feeling I know what you're going to say, Standards and Practices says I have to ask you. You stand the risk of going over 21 on this next play of the deck. You have the option to freeze right now, meaning Curious would have to continue answering questions correctly to continue earning cards to win the round; one wrong answer, and the round's yours. You've seen how the game's been going; what do you want to do?