• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Game of Thrones (SPOILERS)

Grey Wind

But it wouldn't make sense or be well written. There's writing a twist, and there's rewriting half a character's story. There has been endless groundwork laid for R+L=J and throwing that away would be... pointless. Also, we barely know anything about Ashara; why would she suddenly be of such great importance to the narrative, much less the mother of the main protagonist? And what impact would that have on Jon's story?

The show is so far removed from the books at this point that GRRM could be speaking about anyone. I've always kinda thought it might be about Stannis.

Navin

MALDREAD
But it wouldn't make sense or be well written. There's writing a twist, and there's rewriting half a character's story. There has been endless groundwork laid for R+L=J and throwing that away would be... pointless. Also, we barely know anything about Ashara; why would she suddenly be of such great importance to the narrative, much less the mother of the main protagonist? And what impact would that have on Jon's story?

The show is so far removed from the books at this point that GRRM could be speaking about anyone. I've always kinda thought it might be about Stannis.

Was Quentyn Martell necessary? Don't get me wrong, I appreciate world-building, subplots, and many characters, but the latter two books had too much.

Anyway, if there's a twist, it'll be with either Stannis or maybe Dorne (I have a feeling that the Sand Snakes will be fodder for either Cersei or Euron, which effectively removes Dorne from any plot relevance in the show).

Grey Wind

Was Quentyn Martell necessary? Don't get me wrong, I appreciate world-building, subplots, and many characters, but the latter two books had too much.
Well... I guess, but there's a difference between an arguably unnecessary side plot and changing the foundation of the story of one of your main protagonists.

And even though FeastDance are my favourite, I have to laugh at how the Iron Islands plot was originally just the prologue.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Martin does plot twists that are grounded in reality and build up. He's not gonna change a major plot point for the sake of a cheap shock.

Good point

Navin

MALDREAD
Well... I guess, but there's a difference between an arguably unnecessary side plot and changing the foundation of the story of one of your main protagonists.

And even though FeastDance are my favourite, I have to laugh at how the Iron Islands plot was originally just the prologue.

I mean, GRRM did literally introduce an 'Aegon Targaryen,' and even if everyone thinks he's a phony, Martin could just throw in a twist and have him actually be the guy (though that would be shoddy storytelling).

RedJirachi

Veteran member
What are people's thoughts about the theory that Aerys is either Tyrion's real dad or the twins, due to his relationship with Joanna

Janovy

Banned
I like the theory, if only because Jon, Dany and Tyrion (coincidentally three biggest characters) all being Targeryen and three heads of the dragon would be so cool. xD

But I read that a lot of people dislike Tyrion being a secret Targeryen because they don't want any other secret Targeryens and because it would undermine the Tyrion/Tywin relationship.

Grey Wind

I like the theory, if only because Jon, Dany and Tyrion (coincidentally three biggest characters) all being Targeryen and three heads of the dragon would be so cool. xD
I actually think that works better if Tyrion isn't a Targaryen. You don't need magic dragon blood to be a hero!

But I read that a lot of people dislike Tyrion being a secret Targeryen because they don't want any other secret Targeryens and because it would undermine the Tyrion/Tywin relationship.
This, pretty much. Not to continue being negative but it's like... one of my least favourite theories asdfk. The Tyrion/Tywin dynamic works so well because no matter how much Tywin wants to deny it, Tyrion is his son, and is more like him than any of his other children. Making Tywin justified in his treatment of Tyrion would be a big slap in the face, and totally undermine their relationship. And also GRRM isn't gonna pull the same twist twice so :p

Oh and re: the twins being Aerys', the dates don't match up so it's not possible.

Navin

MALDREAD
What are people's thoughts about the theory that Aerys is either Tyrion's real dad or the twins, due to his relationship with Joanna

The show is trying to cut down as many storylines as possible (for example: they didn't have time to do the Northern Conspiracy last season), so I doubt they'll be any more surprise twists, apart from maybe something something Jon/Dany/Azor Ahai? and White Walkers.

There's a lot to cover in the last two books (wouldn't be surprised if Winds of Winter > 1000 pages), so Martin could add another twist in there.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
What Targaryen king do you find the most interesting and/or want to see more. Asides from Aegon I and Aerys II of course. Personally, I am interested in Maegor the Cruel

ebevan91

I'm just now watching season 6. I kinda lost interest in the show (and books) after season 4 since it's taking a long time for GRRM to finish TWoW. I'm watching 2 episodes per day this week Monday through Friday this week. I pretty much already know what happens in every episode in season 6 since everyone and their mother is talking about the show and it is hard avoiding spoilers. It's not as exciting as watching seasons 1 and 2 was before I became a book reader. At least I should be completely spoiler free when watching season 7.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Who do you think will sit on the Iron Throne at the end? Me, I hope nobody does

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Honestly, Varys or Littlefinger, hoping for Varys.

Varys has no intention to sit on the Iron Throne. He doesn't want the glory, nor the headache.

Littlefinger will die a million times over before he gets to sit on that throne. Lady Olenna herself will see to it.

The two most likely candidates, as far as progress and writing goes, are Jon Snow and Daenerys Targaryen. However, in terms of the story itself, it's likely they will both die before reaching the throne. Personally, while I feel Tyrion would make the best leader, and while I prefer he sits on the throne, I believe it will be Sansa who becomes queen of Westeros in the end.

Of all the possible contenders to fulfill the Frog's prophecy, Sansa is the only one who is least likely to die before obtaining the throne, and the only threat to Cersei that she is unaware of.

Grey Wind

I don't think there'll be a throne in the end. IMO Jon and Daenerys won't survive the series and neither will King's Landing; once Dany arrives with her dragons she's gonna set off the wildfire. After that, Westeros will go back to being individual kingdoms, with Bran/Sansa in the north, Asha/Theon in the Iron Islands, Willas and Garlan Tyrell in the south etc.

I think it's been made clear that Westeros suffered while being ruled from the Iron Throne, so IMO it'd be disappointing if they just went back to an absolute monarchy.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
I don't think there'll be a throne in the end. IMO Jon and Daenerys won't survive the series and neither will King's Landing; once Dany arrives with her dragons she's gonna set off the wildfire. After that, Westeros will go back to being individual kingdoms, with Bran/Sansa in the north, Asha/Theon in the Iron Islands, Willas and Garlan Tyrell in the south etc.

I think it's been made clear that Westeros suffered while being ruled from the Iron Throne, so IMO it'd be disappointing if they just went back to an absolute monarchy.

Indeed, I do feel the Seven Kingdoms would do better as their original sovereign nations, but I also know that is not likely to happen ever again, with the exception of the Reach, for they have all the resources necessary to be their own nation, even after a war.

Grey Wind

Indeed, I do feel the Seven Kingdoms would do better as their original sovereign nations, but I also know that is not likely to happen ever again, with the exception of the Reach, for they have all the resources necessary to be their own nation, even after a war.

They could just trade with each other. They were independent once before and they all essentially rule themselves right now (and don't forget that Dorne spent an extra 150 years as a sovereign state).

TheSirPeras

The end of an era
Varys has no intention to sit on the Iron Throne. He doesn't want the glory, nor the headache.

Littlefinger will die a million times over before he gets to sit on that throne. Lady Olenna herself will see to it.

The two most likely candidates, as far as progress and writing goes, are Jon Snow and Daenerys Targaryen. However, in terms of the story itself, it's likely they will both die before reaching the throne. Personally, while I feel Tyrion would make the best leader, and while I prefer he sits on the throne, I believe it will be Sansa who becomes queen of Westeros in the end.

Of all the possible contenders to fulfill the Frog's prophecy, Sansa is the only one who is least likely to die before obtaining the throne, and the only threat to Cersei that she is unaware of.

Shhhh... My wishes will come true...

Honestly though, if Varys wanted it, he could get it. He is the sneakiest, probably the most clever character, in my opinion. Like he said (don't remember when) when he was talking about how they cut off his dick, everyone always gets hung up on passion. He doesn't. He knows what he needs, doesn't get distracted and gets it.

Littlefinger is also a clever ****, but I dislike him and don't want him getting it. But he could, realistically.

Daenerys and Jon Snow would be too predictable and boring (IMO), although if Jon Snow got it I'd be happier than if Daenerys got it.

Janovy

Banned
I think Dany will come to sit on the throne and then "break the wheel" as she promised. As in, there will be no more fights for the Iron Throne as there will no longer be one.