• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Game System Help

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Back at the start of December, I dug out my copy of Pokemon Diamond and started playing, and quickly got hooked. In order to add to the game, I started looking around for copies of FireRed, LeafGreen, Emerald, Ruby, and Sapphire (which are not easy to get and apparently unavailable even in the local used game stores). So I went to eBay and got myself a copy of LeafGreen.

Now I seem to have a problem. Supposedly, simply plugging the LeafGreen cartridge into the GBA slot on my DS should cause new wild pokemon to appear in Diamond, and I should be able to migrate pokemon from LeafGreen over to Diamond.

It's not working. I know LeafGreen works, because I'm playing it (I have 4 gym badges and have caught 32 types of pokemon). But the pokemon that should be appearing in Diamond are not, and I don't even have the option to migrate.

My DS is an older Nintendo DS Lite which I bought used.
Pokemon Diamond is the North American version.
Pokemon LeafGreen is an English-language version, but the person I bought it from on eBay was in China.

Can someone please help me figure out why I can't move pokemon over to Diamond?

Nutter t.KK

can Mega Evolve!
Back at the start of December, I dug out my copy of Pokemon Diamond and started playing, and quickly got hooked. In order to add to the game, I started looking around for copies of FireRed, LeafGreen, Emerald, Ruby, and Sapphire (which are not easy to get and apparently unavailable even in the local used game stores). So I went to eBay and got myself a copy of LeafGreen.

Now I seem to have a problem. Supposedly, simply plugging the LeafGreen cartridge into the GBA slot on my DS should cause new wild pokemon to appear in Diamond, and I should be able to migrate pokemon from LeafGreen over to Diamond.

It's not working. I know LeafGreen works, because I'm playing it (I have 4 gym badges and have caught 32 types of pokemon). But the pokemon that should be appearing in Diamond are not, and I don't even have the option to migrate.

My DS is an older Nintendo DS Lite which I bought used.
Pokemon Diamond is the North American version.
Pokemon LeafGreen is an English-language version, but the person I bought it from on eBay was in China.

Can someone please help me figure out why I can't move pokemon over to Diamond?

As far as I can see, It's working correctly at the moment. You need to beat the Elite 4 and See all 150 Pokemon in the Sinnoh Dex to get the National Dex. You won't see any Insert Pokemon or the ability to trasnfer until you have the National Dex.

Nutter t.kk
DPPt Moderator/3rd Gen Moderator.

Cyberra

pain in the ***
As far as I can see, It's working correctly at the moment. You need to beat the Elite 4 and See all 150 Pokemon in the Sinnoh Dex to get the National Dex. You won't see any Insert Pokemon or the ability to trasnfer until you have the National Dex.

Nutter t.kk
DPPt Moderator/3rd Gen Moderator.
In Diamond? I've already beaten the Elite 4 and have caught more than 350 different types of pokemon, and am getting ready to take on the Elite 4 for the second time. I got the National Dex more than a month ago

Last edited:

BCVM22

So I went to eBay and got myself a copy of LeafGreen.

Smells like a fake cartridge to me. Buying from eBay would generate that scent all on its own - that the seller was in China makes it even more odorous.

Cyberra

pain in the ***
Smells like a fake cartridge to me. Buying from eBay would generate that scent all on its own - that the seller was in China makes it even more odorous.

If I could have gotten a used copy locally I would have. But they are just Not Available Here. And the prices for them get freaking INSANE. The game plays just fine. I have been watching walkthroughs on YouTube and it looks exactly the same. Before I bought it I checked the seller's reviews from other buyers and the seller's reputation, and the game was tested to make sure it works.

So unless someone else here has a copy they would like to ship me, this is what I have to make do with.

That also applies to Emerald, which I'm also looking into getting. I have a friend in the States who's going to send me her old copies of Ruby, Sapphire, and FireRed

BCVM22

But they are just Not Available Here. And the prices for them get freaking INSANE. So unless someone else here has a copy they would like to ship me, this is what I have to make do with.

And that's all well and good, and yet here you are, with a key function of the game not working properly. Lack of legitimate options doesn't make counterfeit ones any more viable.

The game plays just fine. I have been watching walkthroughs on YouTube and it looks exactly the same.

The mundane, like it "looking exactly the same", isn't where the problems are found. The actual game ROM is perhaps the easiest thing for counterfeiters to replicate and produce.

Before I bought it I checked the seller's reviews from other buyers and the seller's reputation, and the game was tested to make sure it works.

And again, that's well and good, but here you are.

That also applies to Emerald, which I'm also looking into getting.

Honest advice? Don't. It's not the answer anyone wants, but it's the cold reality of the matter. The extent to which these games were prolific in their time, their continued value on the secondary market and the ease of producing and selling fakes from user-supported marketplaces where buyers have little to no recourse all combine to give you a better-than-even chance of being given a counterfeit product. It's your time and money and I'm well aware no one wants to hear "sorry, you're not going to find a guaranteed legitimate copy on eBay/Amazon Marketplace", but again, it is the reality of the matter.

Cyberra

pain in the ***
I messaged the seller on ebay. They get their games from a supplier, test them, and sell them. Even they apparently don't know of the games are real or not. They're going to refund me and send another copy.

Cyberra

pain in the ***
I do not have much choice. As I have said, I have NO OTHER WAY to get a copy. Where I live there are no games stores and the local used game store does not have any pokemon games for the gba. So I'm screwed either way.

Unless you've got a spare copy lying around you could send me.

SkittyOnWailord

☣ⓈⓀⒾⓉⓉⓎⓄⓃⓌⒶⒾⓁⓄⓇⒹ☣
I do not have much choice. As I have said, I have NO OTHER WAY to get a copy. Where I live there are no games stores and the local used game store does not have any pokemon games for the gba. So I'm screwed either way.

Unless you've got a spare copy lying around you could send me.

You said you bought your current copy from ebay. You could try buying one from a seller in the US or UK. That would give it a far better chance of being real. But as it stands now, it does sound like you're getting fake copies.

Cyberra

pain in the ***
You said you bought your current copy from ebay. You could try buying one from a seller in the US or UK. That would give it a far better chance of being real. But as it stands now, it does sound like you're getting fake copies.

I would love to. If I had the $50 to spend on one. Which, sadly, I do not. Have you seen the prices people down there want for their copies?

BCVM22

I do not have much choice. As I have said, I have NO OTHER WAY to get a copy.

And I understand that, but we've established that the lack of legitimate options doesn't make the illegitimate ones any more viable. It's a bit like saying "well, I'm out of clean water, I guess I have no choice but to drink that scummy puddle over there..."

Cyberra

pain in the ***
And I understand that, but we've established that the lack of legitimate options doesn't make the illegitimate ones any more viable. It's a bit like saying "well, I'm out of clean water, I guess I have no choice but to drink that scummy puddle over there..."

I did not know it was fake when I bought it. And now I am stuck with it. I cannot send it back; the post office is 7 miles away and my car is rusting in a scrapyard. And my mother's car is a metal pretzel from when some moron in a pickup slammed into me while I was running an errand for my father. I'm stuck with the fake game. You can stop railing at me about it now

BCVM22

I did not know it was fake when I bought it. And now I am stuck with it. I cannot send it back

But you can realize the risk/reward relative to continuing to play roulette with your funds and "hoping" you eventually happen across a legitimate copy and realize that ultimately, the reward of finding a copy of an older game doesn't quite equal the continued monetary/logistical risk of being given fake copies. That's what I'm trying to get across here - unless you absolutely must keep using a Generation III game or your life simply won't be complete, the risk ultimately outweighs the reward.

Continuing to try and explain this to you is not "railing at [you]."

Last edited:

SkittyOnWailord

☣ⓈⓀⒾⓉⓉⓎⓄⓃⓌⒶⒾⓁⓄⓇⒹ☣
I would love to. If I had the $50 to spend on one. Which, sadly, I do not. Have you seen the prices people down there want for their copies?

So you see the games contantly selling for $50 yet you see one for far less and don't think it's a bit fishy? It seems the term "you get what you pay for" applies here.
If something is constantly selling for a specific price and there's one person selling it for less then you have to wonder why they didn't just sell it for the normal/high price like everyone else was, and sadly you now know why. It may sound rude, but it's the truth.

Cyberra

pain in the ***
*headdesks* I never said I was going to buy another copy or another game. I said the seller who sold me the game is going to refund me AND send another copy. Real or fake, it's not costing me anything.

I am new to this whole ebay thing. If I do choose to look for a copy of Emerald, I will save up and try for one from the US or UK, and hopefully won't get outbid again. I have a friend in the States who is going to send me her old copies of Ruby, Sapphire, and FireRed, and hers are real.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go sit in the corner with my plush finneons and fume.