• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Game Traditions?

Inchtall

Back in Black....2
what are your Game traditions? Here are some examples:

-Ensure your Pokemon evolves after first gym battle

-catch every Pokemon you see

-Button Mash

There are more, but I always have to evolve my starter in their first gym battle(exception: Turtwig), Design my in-game team a couple of months before the game comes out, send out my special Pokemon(ex. Starter) at the gym leader's last Pokemon(I am not kidding. I will literally throw a Pikachu against a Dugtrio if I must. There are often type disadvantages), and button mash(works for me, actually. Every time I pressed "b" on my Gameboy while my Crobat used Poison Fang, it would badly poison the foe)

So, what are your In-game traditions.

Gelatino95

Not a tool
My tradition is to keep my starter exactly two levels above all the other pokemon in my party for the duration of the game, usually until I get to the elite 4. That way, it's very easy to know which pokemon to train.

Wild Dragonite

Ralts Evo Tree Fan
This only started this generation, but from now on I'm always going to have a member of the Ralts line on my team.

I also tend to press the A button when the Pokeball's rocking after I throw it. However, tapping the touchscreen instead seems to work better.

No. 1 Machop Fan

As of late my tradition is to only capture the Pokemon I need prior to beating the E4. Other traditions include capturing a Machop and (where I can) all Eeveelutions.

Draknir

Fear the Deer
Whenever a new generation comes out, I always choose the Water starter first. I also like to have my team at the same level before a gym or the E4. Not much else, though.

Zweihander Nemesis

Not too old for Poke
-Keeping my starter strongest in the party with the highest level.
-Always evolving my starter
-A new tradition of switching pokemon out constantly per pokemon in a trainer battle. and having them all around the same average level.
-What i'm going to start doing is cycling starter types, Fire -> Water -> Grass.
Its not a tradition but it's a bad habit
-I only catch low level pokemon in the beginning, and just use my starter all the way through without focusing on other pokemon.

Mighty Arceus493

Relentless.
I have a few traditions:

-In every game, I use my starter, a Pokemon that can Fly, a Pokemon that I use very often, 2 random Pokemon that I can trust and the main legendary of the game.

-I train all my Pokemon equally but have my starter slightly stronger.

-I use any pokemon against any Pokemon, even if it's a bad type match up because if Ash can do it, then I can to and it actually works.

-I always choose my real name in the first 2 games, then the main trainers/games name in the remakes, so the boy in Kanto is Red, the boy in Johto is Gold, the boy in Hoenn is Brendan, the boy in Sinnoh is Plato and the boy in Unova? Um...Still thinking of whether to make him Grey or Blair...

-I fight every trainer possible in the game to make my Pokemon tough and to experiment strategies.

-In every game, I visualise the game as a TV show in my head so it looks like the anime. And in every game I play, not just Pokemon, I try to get into the game as much as I can to understand the emotions of characters (I cried in every Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game I've played so far, especially when Your partner starts crying when Grovyle goes back to the future with Dusknoir in Explorers of Time)

-In Pokemon R/S/E/B/W, I try to hold my breath when I use Dive...

-I enjoy using all of my Pokemon, I try to use every Pokemon in my team in a single battle.

-I focus my mind on the Pokeball when I try to catch a Pokemon. If I focus enogh, I usually catch the Pokemon.

-In every Pokemon game, I believe anything is possible and I believe that I can win!

Gen1Trainer

scream at the ds roaring 'gowan ya tank' at least once a battle

Frog Of Steel

Quirky Nature
Holding B for confusion and attraction, and using the grass starter, a flyer, and a surfer.
And since pearl, have a full 6-mon team with no repeating types. Since Black, no legendaries.
Also, since pearl, keep every pokemon at an even level. I usually plan out my team but I want to try not doing this once maybe.

Zweihander Nemesis

Not too old for Poke
Oh speaking of characters.
-Always pick female character (Unless Red, Blue or Firered/leafgreen)
-Always name the protagonist some name I like but never my own.
-Always named the Rival something funny or stupid lol
Blue was named Gary because, well anime fan
Silver was named Pikachu
I name Blue in Firered Oak, to make it seem my rival was Prof. Oak.

~Ace

i can show you how
- Catch all my Pokemon in Pokeballs (original)
- Rapidly mash A then B and same process when Pokemons confused
- Use my Starter Pokemon for the final blow at Champ Battle

Enel

Banned
-My starter always has to be two levels higher than the rest of my team.
-The rest of my team has to be the same level.
-I always have to use the same amount of Pokémon as the Gym Leader.

...I think that's about it.

emogirl

Panda-chan.
-My stater is always higher leveled than therest of my team (until they get to 100 of course)
-I never catch evolved Pokemon unless I must
-I name my character their default name usually. Gen V I named the female on white Blair, the male on black Blaze, and I'm still debating for grey, but I didnt like their names
-I always get each game in the generation, and breed/trade myself the starters
-in each generation, yes, one game I pick the male, and the other two I pick the female :x I don't know why
-I always keep my starter with me, even if they'll have a type disadvantage (drill peck on prinplup actually came in handy for gardenia)
-I don't EV train or breed to get the 'perfect nature'; I catch the first one at the lowest level I can, and keep it
-If I name my rival, it's either his name, or something that sounded cool at the time (in Pearl, I was Dawn, he was Barry. In Platinum, I was still Dawn, but I named him Dusk :p)
-I always keep a Pokemon with me that knows Fly.
-I don't care which Pokemon work better, I use what I feel like using
-I usually don't have the same type in my team doubled. I recently boxed my Klinklang because Excadrill was better.
-If I catch Pokerus, I give it to every Pokemon except for one, So I can box the Pokemon with Pokerus until I train them

I think that's it. It may seem tedious, but I do it all without thinking for the most part. I may edit/post more later if I think of something else.

Red Charizard

Current Love: Sinnoh
I have a few traditions:

-In every game, I use my starter, a Pokemon that can Fly, a Pokemon that I use very often, 2 random Pokemon that I can trust and the main legendary of the game.

-I train all my Pokemon equally but have my starter slightly stronger.

-I use any pokemon against any Pokemon, even if it's a bad type match up because if Ash can do it, then I can to and it actually works.

-I always choose my real name in the first 2 games, then the main trainers/games name in the remakes, so the boy in Kanto is Red, the boy in Johto is Gold, the boy in Hoenn is Brendan, the boy in Sinnoh is Plato and the boy in Unova? Um...Still thinking of whether to make him Grey or Blair...

-I fight every trainer possible in the game to make my Pokemon tough and to experiment strategies.

-In every game, I visualise the game as a TV show in my head so it looks like the anime. And in every game I play, not just Pokemon, I try to get into the game as much as I can to understand the emotions of characters (I cried in every Pokemon Mystery Dungeon game I've played so far, especially when Your partner starts crying when Grovyle goes back to the future with Dusknoir in Explorers of Time)

-In Pokemon R/S/E/B/W, I try to hold my breath when I use Dive...

-I enjoy using all of my Pokemon, I try to use every Pokemon in my team in a single battle.

-I focus my mind on the Pokeball when I try to catch a Pokemon. If I focus enogh, I usually catch the Pokemon.

-In every Pokemon game, I believe anything is possible and I believe that I can win!

I really like the way you think! C:

My Traditions?
  • I always pick the Fire Type Starter, it's always my favorite! c:
  • I always have a Charmander named 'Rex' on my team! He travels with me throughout every Generation! For future games/generations, I'm going to try to make each Charmander a descendant of the last!
  • My team is usually the same in each game; Charmander, All three starters, and any other Pokemon I like!
  • I try to imagine my gameplay like an anime, I've made it into a little fan fiction!~ c:

MegSuicune251

Pokemon's #1 Fan
Make sure all my party members are all at the same level.
Get a female starter.
Complete the Pokedex to the best of my ability.
Always catch legendaries last.

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
Catch as many Pokemon as I can! I am capture happy.

I always use my starter early on then ditch it post-game.

I always play as a female character, either using my real name or the character's official name.

I always have a Water, Grass, Fire, Electric and Flying Pokemon plus one filler Pokemon most of the time.

I also have a tendency to have a Surfer and Flyer in my teams.

Last edited:

Aurath8

I always have a Fire, Water, Electric, A pokemon that can use Fly and a Dragon/Ice type. The last pokemon is usually a Grass type except in the Johto games as I felt I didn't need a Grass type.
One of these pokemon must know Earthquake, though it's usually the Dragon/Ice type. I say pokemon that can use Fly instead of Flying type because of Golurk in BW was a Ground/Ghost type. This tradition means I get a huge variety of types and few movesets are similar to eachother. For example, between my entire Platinum team, only one type overlapped(Gastrodon and Garchomp), only two moves were duplicated(Infernape and Staraptor's Close Combat, Luxray & Garchomp's Crunch) and across the entire team, only the Ghost, Psychic, Poison and Steel types had not been used. Even so, Dark has the same SE's as Ghost, Psychic was covered by Flying and ground, looads of moves hit I had every other type that hit Grass typse for SE damage and Fighting covers whatever Steel can.
I also like this scheme because it's good to find a good colour balance.

FireTypeLover

Mr. Soul Stealer
Oh speaking of characters.
-Always pick female character (Unless Red, Blue or Firered/leafgreen)
-Always name the protagonist some name I like but never my own.
-Always named the Rival something funny or stupid lol
Blue was named Gary because, well anime fan
Silver was named Pikachu
I name Blue in Firered Oak, to make it seem my rival was Prof. Oak.

I always pick the male character and (in all my current playthroughs) name the protagonist after me. Oh, and I only did this in my current playthrough of LG and I named my rival RIVAL. (Hence, RIVAL RIVAL would like to battle!)

Atratus

Antimatter Trainer
- Carefully choose the party members before starting the game.
- Always keep all party members at the same level, and level them up by order of capture.
- Catch as few pokemon as possible, let them run freely.