• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Game Winning Assist (329)

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Game Winning Assist!

Heading towards Lavaridge, Ash & Co. find a meadow of Numel. May, eager to train her recently caught Skitty, challenges a Numel to a battle and teaches her Skitty Assist. However Team Rocket arrive to capture the Numel. Will they succeed?

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

Bulba the Great!

We Do Not Sow
I'm still watching the episode, but they got the Trainer's Choice wrong. Combusken=Best choice for Kirlia? I think not! Gravellar and Togetic were both better choices, seeing as Combusken is part Fighting!

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Whee, "Game Winning Assist" just finished airing. Pretty standard filler but it got plus points for May being the hero (or is that heroine) this time instead of Ash, as well as Skitty's Assist attack. Thank goodness AG doesn't make Ash the only useful character on the show like Johto did. I would have prefered to see Skitty Vs. Ash's Pikachu, but the Furret battle was alright.

Looks like an early preview that Skitty will become a great battler.

L

Lindsay

Alright that was a fine episode!

Nice to see May taking some initative in wanting to battle for Skitty's sake. Would have liked to see May vs Ash like was planned but May vs the former co-ordinator Julie was cool to since she ended up teaching May a few things.

Skitty's Assist attack randomly cool but a little cheap on the animation. So it used Ember, Silver Wind, and Gust? I'd like to see it use Stringshot hehe!

Numel were......not bad. Somewhat cute and I really loved their voices and sorta dopey/sleepy expressions.

Team Rocket? Stupid as usual. Wish they'd stop rehashing their old plans/techniques. Also the writers really need to stop bringing up James' rich past at their convenience. I'm SO sure he used to have all of these foreign POKéMON as a kid. -_-

+ 1 for 4Kids not reversing the frames during that Julie girls truck scenes.
+ 1 for Max showing some worry for May.

3 / 5

Not the best, not the worst, but definetely not bad at all. It was a nice clean episode just not a standout.

Also, the first stupid Trainer's Choice in awhile. Unless they meant who is the best for Kirlia to battle? Then it would be right lol

V Faction

www.faction.com
Lindsay said:
Skitty's Assist attack randomly cool but a little cheap on the animation. So it used Ember, Silver Wind, and Gust? I'd like to see it use Stringshot hehe!

All in due time! :)

-I'll get rid of this quick. Yeah, they screwed up the Trainer's Choice. I was hoping that they had wised up and would've gone with Togetic (High Sp.Def) but I guess not. Usually I'm okay with these, but I think this was just a real brain fart. If they had said Worst Choice, then it works out nicely.

Numel's voice was very good. It keeps the Numel-Camerupt line's trait of repeating a certain syllable of their name ("Num-num-num" ; "Rupt-rupt-rupt") which was nice. Sounds like they used the Dragonite voice for it.

The Episode itself was above average. I'm glad they had some Key Game locations pointed out (Firey Path, Mt. Chimney which will play a bigger part in the next Episode, the Gondola Station).

And yet again we see Slugma and its 1001 Voice. Today it was Magcargo!

ALSO, I chuckle worthy quote.

"James: Hey, did someone turn up the heat?
Meowth: It IS a bit toasy...
Jessie: Well, it wasn't me..."

Last edited:

GardevoirMaster

Legendary Pokémon Coordinator
I liked this episode b/c Skitty used Assist for the first time. Also Numel seemed to be a little big on the episode, its 2'4" and it was almost as tall as May. It was a good episode. And I really didnt like the Trainers Choice thing with Kirlia, and Combusken.

Heracross

Custom User Title
This episode was ok, to be quite honest I found it pretty boring, but that's probably just because it's so early. 4Kids really needs to get their act together. Now I'll admit I've never seen the original in this case, but I could just tell that there were some parts where the music should have been exciting but it was just the same old background music. I was beginning to think the entire ep was going to be like that untill they finally had some Kanto battle music there towards the end. Anyway, as for the actual episode, it was pretty good to see May being the hero. The Numel were pretty cool and it was nice to see May using Skitty for a battle. Did anyone else think the way Mt Chimney was drawn was exaggerated? No volcano would be that steep. So overall this was a pretty good episode. Not the best I've seen, but pretty good.

Last edited:

£añkaÑ

~Thîrûttû R⚢âl~
this episode was good, i love the move assist, and i love Skitty

PDL

disenchanted
well, yes, I know they messed up on the Trainer's Choice, but I can see the reason for that...

I think that 4Kids thought that Kirla was a grass type and maybe even thought that Combusken was a pure fire type

so I wouldn't blame them for messing up, not like 4kids are supposed to know that much about pokemon they haven't seen much in the anime

the actual show was good though...

The Big Al

I just keeping Octo
Warning, do not touch running sprinklers as they WILL cut you.

Tell me. Is any one else tired of the stupid TR Mechs? *Crush pathetic Mech with a Gundum*

Considering they were going to be carrying Fire Pokemon, don't you think it would have made sense to use heat resistant metal? Chalk another one up for Team Rocket's gross stupity.

So May saved the day wait, the Numule saved the day er night, but she got them started. Whatever, Ash didn't save the day because he was struck in an old beater. *Passes out from self-induced confusion*

I'll say this many times in the future but there is nothing but fluff in Skitty's head. Can it get anymore scatter brained?

SKITTY! *huggles Skitty* So kawaii!-^_^- And what's a Skitty without its signature move? Not a very powerful Skitty, that's what!;) Numel's voice wasn't bad; and once again I mess up the pronunciation of another Pokémon's name!>_<; I picked Togetic for the Trainer's Choice too; but later I realized that Kirlia's low defense and Togetic's low Attack cancel each other out, while an attack like Combusken's Slash can easily wipe Kirlia out without getting hit by a Psychic attack. Overall; 8/10

V Faction

www.faction.com
Pika Hikari KT said:
I picked Togetic for the Trainer's Choice too; but later I realized that Kirlia's low defense and Togetic's low Attack cancel each other out, while an attack like Combusken's Slash can easily wipe Kirlia out without getting hit by a Psychic attack.

That still doesn't explain why they wouldn't have gone with Graveler then, if High Attack was the key. Look, it was just a goof up, no way getting around it.

C

Cephonis

yawn... stupid KIDSWB what's the big idea airing it at 7... (PST) yawn... and WTF? Fire/Fighting is better than Psychic? I don't think so. None of them were good choices, but Normal has a natural resistance against Psychic(Togetic) and Graveler's high defense/sp. defense will protect it better from Kirlia, but Combusken is best choice against Kirlia? And what's with the "Who's that PKMN (Growlithe)" showing up right after the 'Okay trainers which of these pokemon is the best choice against ...' thing?

PDL

disenchanted
sigh... maybe I'll explain it once more, 4kids must have thought that Kirla was a grass type, if you look at it, it could easily be mistaken for one.

V Faction

www.faction.com
Cephonis said:
yawn... stupid KIDSWB what's the big idea airing it at 7... (PST) yawn... and WTF? Fire/Fighting is better than Psychic? I don't think so. None of them were good choices, but Normal has a natural resistance against Psychic(Togetic) and Graveler's high defense/sp. defense will protect it better from Kirlia, but Combusken is best choice against Kirlia? And what's with the "Who's that PKMN (Growlithe)" showing up right after the 'Okay trainers which of these pokemon is the best choice against ...' thing?

Hey dumb-dumb, Normal doesn't resist Psychic, Graveler has horrid Special Defense, and the WTP is back at the command of KidsWB, so deal with it.

EDIT: By the way EK, that's still a big stretch to pull all from one attack. You've got a ton of other Psychic attacks on Kirlia as well, so I don't fully believe Magical Leaf could cause such a drastic alteration. If you want my opinion, that, plus the opening sequence (where Combusken manages to overpower a Gardevoir) is what could have lulled 4Kids into their mistake, but not simply ML alone.

Last edited:

Dratini927

Matt the Drat
Hmm, this episode was pretty good for a filler basically, but it did have a lot of things that did...confuse me a little bit.

The 1st thing I noticed was when James was talking about the Numel, he said that when he was a kid, he had them to keep him warm at night. But wait? How could he have had them a long time ago, when they were just recently known? Strange... The 2nd thing that I think the messed up on was when they got woken up by the Numel Mech, and were chasing it. Wasn't it like...2 am or something, since they were sleeping? But at the end when the Numel ran to eat the berry, Julie said that it was dinner time. Strange again... And, I don't know if this is me or anything, but after the pas few new episodes, they have been showing the really old "Who's That Pokemon?" scenes. This episodes was Growlithe. I wonder if that's a mistake on the Episode makings part, or they are including that in now. Yet another strange thing again...

But overall, I would rate this episode an 8/10 because it was halfway decent, but just way too early in the morning. @_@

I

Indigo

I loved this episode! This is coming from an Ash freak. I LOVED it.

Pros:

-May actually worked as the heroine! Great!
-After this, I'm really starting to like May. From a MISTY lover, I'm really starting to like her. She has more of a brain than I thought, what with wanting Skitty to battle.
-Max's reaction towards the kidnapping--very sweet. ~^
-ASH'S reaction towards the kidnapping--sweeter. "Don't worry, May. I'm coming to save you." I might've been paraphrasing, but it was very cute.
-Numel's voice was right on. Not the pronounciation I would've used, but the voice was great.
-Ash was genuinely concerned for Skitty's welfare, as well as May's. Just another example of his growing "mentor-ness"

Cons:

-Darn it! If only the gang had gone outside without all their excess clothes! I wanted to see them!...I'm really sad.
-Okay, I never get this aspect of the show: WHY would the gang so willingly go into a stranger's house? They're going to put ideas into the kiddie's heads.

Anyway, I don't know what it is about this eppy, but I'm starting to like May, and I'm coming off Pokéshipping just a little bit...it looked like they were holding hands at one point, and there was an eye contact thing that just looked cute.

Anyway, this episode gets a big, fat 9/10